Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61393 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

d pantz

United States

#3084 May 7, 2013
common sense wrote:
Gay marriage deteriotes what a marriage means now and turns it into something thats non traditional or conservative and is more sexually liberated.The state does allow equal protection of the law by allowing anyone to get married ,and as long as you abide by its laws youre affored the same priveleges and rights.
I dont even think thats its about having the same priveleges and rights for the gays because as they've mentioned before ,even if they had a civil union that afforded them the same priveleges and rights they would still want to change the meaning of marriage because it represents something that they can never have ,and thats a normal ,biological family .
why would we need gay people to deteriorate what marriage means? Straight people do a fine job of it.
d pantz

United States

#3085 May 7, 2013
4sitesartproductions wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually what Ryan wrote was probably one of the best explanations I have read! What's wrong w/ Theology degrees?
you're right! GAY NAZIS FOR CHRIST! Amen brother!
Really I don't care, if homosexuals want tax credits they should fight with another large group of people who are denied too. Single people who make the free choice not to get married.
Freedom of expression is great because you can express yourself" and I can either laugh at you, or ignore you. LOL!
d pantz

United States

#3086 May 7, 2013
4sitesartproductions wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay Marriage is not totally legal in every state!!! In my state they just passed civil unions which is technically not the same! The big legal differences have to do w/ sickness, death , taxes and adoption all things that homosexuals have trouble engaging in unlike their heterosexual neighbors.
you mean their hetero neighbors who are married, the ones who aren't ( its actually the majority now) are in that same boat.
d pantz

United States

#3087 May 7, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>It is a very important part of the legal standard to which our right to marry is supposed to be held to. The individual's right to marry is seen as being such a fundamental one, in order for the state to deny us that right, it must serve a compelling governmental interest in order to do so. You cannot marry a six-year-old, because the state has the compelling interest of the protection of minors. You cannot marry your pet, lawn furniture, your car, etc, because the state has a compelling interest in maintaining marriage as a consensual contract between the parties. You cannot marry your mother, father, sister, brother, etc, because the state has a compelling interest in maintaining marriage as a contract between legal strangers. The government has no interest, compelling or otherwise, that is served by denying your, my, our right to marry based on the sex of the person you are wanting to marry.
got it. Sounds to me like the state should just write laws making inbreeding and pedophilia illegal. Kansas sounds pretty pfuked up.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#3088 May 7, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
So??????
Of course, in your scenario, everyone would be more than happy to have their rights denied because you fell in love with your sister. It makes sense.
Get That Fool wrote:
Exactly! That would be a reason for the two getting married...to make the one 'you' want to be your 'next of kin'.....
You are free to do that, you don't have to be married to someone to make them your next of kin. Absent a legal declaration of who you say is next, the law already establishes who is.
Get That Fool wrote:
What interest does the state have in telling someone who they can choose as their next of kin in marriage??? You haven't explained that at all.....
To your satisfaction, but you're an idiot.

this one

#3089 May 7, 2013
d pantz wrote:
got it.
You sure? I've already read ahead, so it makes me wonder if you're just saying that you got it.
d pantz wrote:
Sounds to me like the state should just write laws making inbreeding and pedophilia illegal.
You do know that such activities have been criminal for quite some time now in most places?
d pantz wrote:
Kansas sounds pretty pfuked up.
Any place can be.
Jane

Torrance, CA

#3090 May 7, 2013
Hello everyone i Jane.... I want to give great appreciation to the great man named DR MUDIA who helped me in getting back my love who left me for 3years within 24hours, after been scammed by some fake spell caster which made away with my money.i was watching my television when i saw a woman giving thanks to this great man for what he has done for her,although i have been scammed by so many spell caster but i still decided to contact him i told him everything that happened and he just laughed over it and told me that my love will be back within the next 24hours at first i was full of doubt until the next 24 hours i had a call by unknown number i did not even think if he would be my love the next thing i could hear on the phone was my love pleading and begging me to forgive him and he promised not to hurt me till the rest of his life. I was so surprised and at the same time i was filled with joy and happiness, i did not waste anytime in accepting him because that was what i have been looking for, after calling, in the next 2hours time he came to my house and still pleading and begging me to forgive him the must surprising thing was that he gave me access to his account and everything that he have, for me to know that he is not going to live me for any reason. Now we are living happily than ever before. So i want to use this opportunity to let the world to know that there are people in this world sent from God to help people to get back there ex lover e.g people like DR MUDIA, sir you are a great man. In case you want to thank him for me or you need his help you can contact him through his private mail:[email protected] . Once again thank you very much sir,email;[email protected] om..........Follow this great spell caster, bewear of scammers who will take your money and run alway with it.

“JAMAICA”

Since: Feb 13

Kingston,Jamaica

#3091 May 7, 2013
To each an own as long you is happy.

this one

#3092 May 7, 2013
Jane wrote:
Hello everyone i Jane.... I want to give great appreciation to the great man named DR MUDIA who helped me in getting back my love who left me for 3years within 24hours, after been scammed by some fake spell caster which made away with my money.
Thank you for your totally unrehearsed and totally heartfelt appreciation for Dr Mudia, who obviously must be a legitimate "spell caster" in a field filled almost entirely with complete frauds. I know that I will be contacting Dr Mudia for all my spell casting needs, how about y'all?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#3093 May 7, 2013
More than 31 states have laws defining marriage as male/female; that's good enough for me.

Don't change the definition of marriage to satisfy sexual predilection; have some respect.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#3094 May 7, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Of course, in your scenario, everyone would be more than happy to have their rights denied because you fell in love with your sister. It makes sense.
Seems to me 'you' are the one trying to deny rights here
You are free to do that, you don't have to be married to someone to make them your next of kin. Absent a legal declaration of who you say is next, the law already establishes who is.
Well, maybe some people would like to 'choose' their next of kin by marrying them....how does 'this' harm the state?
To your satisfaction, but you're an idiot.
So break it down for me then....
d pantz

United States

#3095 May 7, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>You sure? I've already read ahead, so it makes me wonder if you're just saying that you got it. <quoted text>You do know that such activities have been criminal for quite some time now in most places? <quoted text>Any place can be.
now I am confused. Why write a law making it illegal to marry when its already illegal to have a sexual relationship? Zealot litigators must be bored.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#3096 May 7, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
More than 31 states have laws defining marriage as male/female; that's good enough for me.
Don't change the definition of marriage to satisfy sexual predilection; have some respect.
Sorry Brian. You don't deserve respect. Not only are you a proven liar and an ignoramus, but you also can't count.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/TCR09D1CU...

Today Delaware became state number 11 to recognize same-sex couples in civil marriage (DC also recognizes civil marriage for same-sex couples). So no, 31 states do not have laws defining marriage as male/female. It's down to 29.

Your side is losing. And you appear ready and willing to be king of the losers. Congratulations.

“Post-religious”

Location hidden

#3097 May 7, 2013
Yeah, my post above was pretty stupid all around... typed too quickly without even thinking. I deserve whatever lumps I get.

Brian still lied, however.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#3098 May 7, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me 'you' are the one trying to deny rights here
<quoted text>
Well, maybe some people would like to 'choose' their next of kin by marrying them....how does 'this' harm the state?
<quoted text>
So break it down for me then....
Can you read molecules?

Delaware..... hmmmm...... can you break THAT down for us?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#3100 May 7, 2013
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Brian. You don't deserve respect. Not only are you a proven liar and an ignoramus, but you also can't count.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/TCR09D1CU...
Today Delaware became state number 11 to recognize same-sex couples in civil marriage (DC also recognizes civil marriage for same-sex couples). So no, 31 states do not have laws defining marriage as male/female. It's down to 29.
Your side is losing. And you appear ready and willing to be king of the losers. Congratulations.
Poor Brian..... can you imagine the difficulties he must have faced going through life so clueless?
common sense

Melbourne, Australia

#3101 May 7, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>People who actually want to be married and in many instances having already been together for years and even decades, "deteriotes" marriage? Is heterosexuality some sort of learning disorder? Considering that your "tradition" allows for serial monogamy (the current American record is something like 27 legal marriages) and no fault divorce, allowing same sex marriages doesn't seem like all that much of a threat to it. <quoted text>I'll bet you don't know this, but that is the same argument which was used to justify bans on interracial marriages. As long as you abide by the rules, you have the same right to marry someone of your approved races as everybody else. Sorry, the state should not have the authority to determine who we may or may not marry based on their sex.
<quoted text>Dear, the "meaning of marriage" has been legally redefined in any number of ways and any number of times over the course of the centuries. You can cope with another. Creating a separate special category just for same sex couples kind of flies in the face of the idea of equal protection, doesn't it? Why do you call yourself "common sense" when you don't seem to have any? The two states which have tried to go the separate but equal route have failed miserably. Vermont's Legislature went with full equality with all couples under the same laws after only a couple of years, New jersey is in the process of being sued over their disaster. the ONLY way that ALL couples will be treated as legal equals is if the same applies to all.
I have no problems with the state treating any couple as a legal equal,i just have a problem with them calling it a marriage as it denotes a union of heterosexuals .Always has and always should.You also state that civil unions with equal rights of marriage have been tried and didnt work.How is that possible,its pretty simple,you claim to want the same rights as married couples ,you get them so problem solved .Whats the issue or problem here other than thats not the real reason for all this gay movement.Its just insane ,disrespectful and malicious for you to want to change the whole world just so you can feel better about yourselves by pretending to be married.You just dont get it,Marriage =man and woman .Change that and its something else entirely ,its no longer marriage as we know it and have known it for millenia.
Thats what really irks me,you dont care and have no respect for the culture and traditions of millions of people the world over and would be willing to change that for nothing.

Also gay people go on about straights not respecting the values of marriage because the divorce rate is high.What a load of crap that is,the divorce rate is high because of the stesses and strains that modern society has put on us along with deterioration of societies morals and many other reasons.No one ever said that heteros are perfect ,and you will always have materialistic and selfish people that get married such as your kim kardashians etc ,but most people have a lot of respect for marriage and dont enter it lightly ,and enter it with the intention of it being for life .

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#3102 May 7, 2013
fr common sense:

>...I have no problems with the state treating any couple as a legal equal,i just have a problem with them calling it a marriage as it denotes a union of heterosexuals .Always has and always should...<

Deal with it, and grow UP. I am MARRIED to my WIFE, and we will celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary as a happy lesbian FAMILY this year. Get help for your anti-gay bigotry.

“Post-religious”

Location hidden

#3104 May 7, 2013
common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problems with the state treating any couple as a legal equal,i just have a problem with them calling it a marriage as it denotes a union of heterosexuals .Always has and always should.You also state that civil unions with equal rights of marriage have been tried and didnt work.How is that possible,its pretty simple,you claim to want the same rights as married couples ,you get them so problem solved .Whats the issue or problem here other than thats not the real reason for all this gay movement.Its just insane ,disrespectful and malicious for you to want to change the whole world just so you can feel better about yourselves by pretending to be married.You just dont get it,Marriage =man and woman .Change that and its something else entirely ,its no longer marriage as we know it and have known it for millenia.
Thats what really irks me,you dont care and have no respect for the culture and traditions of millions of people the world over and would be willing to change that for nothing.
Also gay people go on about straights not respecting the values of marriage because the divorce rate is high.What a load of crap that is,the divorce rate is high because of the stesses and strains that modern society has put on us along with deterioration of societies morals and many other reasons.No one ever said that heteros are perfect ,and you will always have materialistic and selfish people that get married such as your kim kardashians etc ,but most people have a lot of respect for marriage and dont enter it lightly ,and enter it with the intention of it being for life .
There is no rational basis for limiting civil marriage solely because of the sex of the partners. All arguments against same-sex couples in civil marriage are irrational or illogical, or based on ignorance, animus, fear, or religious superstition or myth.

You certainly haven't come up with a good one.

Even assuming that it could be done (which it hasn't), there is no rational basis for creating a "separate but equal" institution for establishing kinship between unrelated adults when a perfectly suitable on already exists: civil marriage.
common sense

Melbourne, Australia

#3105 May 7, 2013
Pattysboi wrote:
fr common sense:
>...I have no problems with the state treating any couple as a legal equal,i just have a problem with them calling it a marriage as it denotes a union of heterosexuals .Always has and always should...<
Deal with it, and grow UP. I am MARRIED to my WIFE, and we will celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary as a happy lesbian FAMILY this year. Get help for your anti-gay bigotry.
Im not the one calling people name so i think maybe you should grow up.I also wish you and your life partner all the best in your five year union.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Anti-Gay Jehovah's Witness Cartoon Tells Kids T... 4 min pamela landy 2,156
News Portland to introduce travel ban due to discrim... 19 min TerriB1 5
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 21 min June VanDerMark 10,367
News Lawmakers forming committee to study LGBT rights 24 min Imprtnrd 28
News 'Gay sex causes earthquakes' says conservative ... 34 min Imprtnrd 22
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 50 min GayleWood 36,300
News Meet the Gay Libertarian Running for Vice Presi... 1 hr Only Gays Can Do It 2
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr Big C 11,961
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 4 hr woodtick57 1,070
More from around the web