Gay marriage

Gay marriage

There are 61395 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Mar 28, 2013, titled Gay marriage. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

The U.S. Supreme Court is considering two controversial cases involving whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry: Proposition 8, California's 2008 ban on gay marriage, and the Defense of Marriage Act, which since 1996 has defined marriage for federal purposes as a union between a man and a woman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#3000 May 5, 2013
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
But dang if he doesn't keep coming back to prove it over and over again. I guess you gotta admire that kind of persistence, misguided though it may be.
Indeed. But in Brian's case, I think he's so desperate for attention that even negative attention is better than none at all.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#3001 May 5, 2013
Jerald keeps making up reasons to ban adoption, what's up with that? Another good reason not to let same sex marriage supporters change marriage laws.

“From a distance...”

Planet Earth

#3002 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Jerald keeps making up reasons to ban adoption, what's up with that? Another good reason not to let same sex marriage supporters change marriage laws.
Actually, Brian, it's just a logical conclusion from your own assertions that children should be raised by their biological parents. If that's your belief, not only should you be advocating against adoption, but also against divorce, against in vitro fertilization with donor sperm and in favor of criminalizing out of wedlock child birth and single parent households. But note that prohibiting same sex marriages aren't included in that list since as you and your ilk are fond of pointing out, same sex couples don't naturally procreate with each other.

Try again.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#3003 May 5, 2013
frKNOW 1 CARES:

>Blah Blah Blah I think the point is that marriage is and has been between a man and a women the family unit is best served in the vast majority of cases by a man and a women raising children.
The ultimate goal of the lgtb activists is to destroy the institution of marriage and the values of our nation.
I have nothing personally against people living in a manner that makes them happy but do not try to change the values the majority of the nation hold dear<

A complete and total LIE.

“Post-religious”

Location hidden

#3004 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Those "reasons" are yours, Brian, in that they logically flow from your arguments, if you indeed want to ensure that only biological parents raise their children.

I am in favor of adoption, not opposed. Feel free to quote from and link to any of my posts where I made an argument against adoption.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#3005 May 5, 2013
Look at T.F.'s post 3002 to see the lack of any logic other than their own prejudice. They can't discuss the real arguments so they make up their own arguments.

Can you cite any mainstream politician "advocating against adoption, but also against divorce, against in vitro fertilization with donor sperm and in favor of criminalizing out of wedlock child birth and single parent households"? If not, that proves the idiosyncratic nature of 'logic' used by same sex marriage supporters.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#3006 May 5, 2013
They don't understand logic, they understand sympathy and the good feelings of ersatz equality.

“Post-religious”

Location hidden

#3007 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Look at T.F.'s post 3002 to see the lack of any logic other than their own prejudice. They can't discuss the real arguments so they make up their own arguments.
Can you cite any mainstream politician "advocating against adoption, but also against divorce, against in vitro fertilization with donor sperm and in favor of criminalizing out of wedlock child birth and single parent households"? If not, that proves the idiosyncratic nature of 'logic' used by same sex marriage supporters.
Again, Brian, you misunderstand. Perhaps reading comprehension is not your strong suit, along with your difficulties with logic and reason.

Neither TF nor I maintain that anyone is "advocating against adoption, divorce, etc."

What we are claiming is that YOUR argument (i.e., civil marriage is about ensuring that children are raised by their biological parents) logically leads to those conclusions.

YOUR position gives rise to an opposition to adoption, divorce, etc.

Your illogical arguments lead you there. Not ours.
d pants

United States

#3008 May 5, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
The decline of the Western Roman Empire is generally viewed by historians as occurring over approximately four centuries culminating in the dissolution of the western empire in 476-480. This overlaps almost exactly with the founding of Christianity. Admittedly, Christianity was suppressed and persecuted in the first half of this period. But after Christianity was legalized in the western empire in 313 CE and made the official state religion in 380 CE, the western empire fell only 100 years later.
<quoted text>
I don't worship any human. Guess your power of omniscience has failed you once again.
nice totally ignore every fact I posted and tout your opinion as fact. Whatever you're entitled to it but its not really based on much. Many things factor inyo the fall of the roman empire in my opinion. In my opinion, big organized anything is going to be corrupt. That's my OPINION, I based it in a lot of facts.
d pants

United States

#3009 May 5, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Brian, it's just a logical conclusion from your own assertions that children should be raised by their biological parents. If that's your belief, not only should you be advocating against adoption, but also against divorce, against in vitro fertilization with donor sperm and in favor of criminalizing out of wedlock child birth and single parent households. But note that prohibiting same sex marriages aren't included in that list since as you and your ilk are fond of pointing out, same sex couples don't naturally procreate with each other.
Try again.
children have to be taken away fom their biological parents every day. Even foster parents, that means good foster parents are hard to find. I know plenty of responsible gay adults who would make good foster parents.
We do need to try again. The idea of children being with their biological parents is great. But the reality of it many times isn't. http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1047746
American Lady

Danville, KY

#3010 May 5, 2013
The Homosexual Manifesto of 1987
Posted by Dr. Eowyn

We all know how the Left portray cultural and religious Conservatives who want to preserve marriage as what it has been for centuries — the union between a man and a woman. We are knuckle-dragging troglodytes: hysterical paranoiac bigots who imagine that nefarious homosexuals have a covert agenda and are out to recruit our children.

Well, guess what?

We are right!

Here’s Michael Swift’s Gay Manifesto (Warning: shocking and offensive language):

We shall sodomize your sons,...
http://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com/2012/1...
Passing Through

Chicago, IL

#3012 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Look at T.F.'s post 3002 to see the lack of any logic other than their own prejudice.
Since my list resulted from YOUR logic, thanks fro acknowledging your logic and "reasoning" (such as it is) stems from YOUR own prejudice.
Brian_G wrote:
They can't discuss the real arguments so they make up their own arguments
On the contrary, it is YOU who lacks the intelligence to put forth valid arguments that pass constitutional muster. You can't even muster the courage to use the reply button to address those who post to you.
Brian_G wrote:
No, it merely proves you and your ilk don't really care about children being raised by their biological parents or you'd address the real causes of why that occurs in our society. You're nothing but a sniveling, whiny coward who uses a feigned concern for "children" to hide your loathsome prejudice against a group of your fellow citizens.

“Post-religious”

Location hidden

#3013 May 5, 2013
American Lady wrote:
The Homosexual Manifesto of 1987
Posted by Dr. Eowyn
We all know how the Left portray cultural and religious Conservatives who want to preserve marriage as what it has been for centuries — the union between a man and a woman. We are knuckle-dragging troglodytes: hysterical paranoiac bigots who imagine that nefarious homosexuals have a covert agenda and are out to recruit our children.
Well, guess what?
We are right!
Here’s Michael Swift’s Gay Manifesto (Warning: shocking and offensive language):
We shall sodomize your sons,...
http://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com/2012/1...
Well, guess what?

Posting satire as if it's truth says more about YOUR ignorance than it does about the satirical piece. Traditional Values Coalition's Lou Sheldon skewered himself by falling for it; so did former California congressman William Dannemeyer, who read it into the Congressional Record, much to his embarrassment.

All of them omitted the first line in the satire: "This essay is an outré, madness, a tragic, cruel fantasy, an eruption of inner rage, on how the oppressed desperately dream of being the oppressor."

But that was over 20 years ago. Where have YOU been? Only the wingnuts at World Net Daily still believe it's meant to be true.

Shall we next expect you to post the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" by way of an attack on Jews?

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/swift1.asp
http://rainbowallianceopenfaith.homestead.com...
Passing Through

Chicago, IL

#3014 May 5, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
They don't understand logic
Look in a mirror and replace "they" with "I" and you will finally have uttered a true statement.
Brian_G wrote:
they understand sympathy and the good feelings of ersatz equality.
While you understand nothing but the "tingly" feeling you get expressing your personal prejudice.
Passing Through

Chicago, IL

#3015 May 5, 2013
d pants wrote:
<quoted text> nice totally ignore every fact I posted and tout your opinion as fact. Whatever you're entitled to it but its not really based on much. Many things factor inyo the fall of the roman empire in my opinion. In my opinion, big organized anything is going to be corrupt. That's my OPINION, I based it in a lot of facts.
Every date I provided was factual, not opinion.

The inference Christianity was the only reason for the fall of Rome was a rejoinder targeted specifically to the poster to whom I made it since she has on multiple occasions and multiple threads asserted an equally invalid assertion that homosexuality was the cause of the fall of Rome.

Not understanding the context of a comment and history of the posters involved often results in posters like drawing the wrong conclusions.
American Lady

Danville, KY

#3016 May 5, 2013
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, guess what?
Posting satire as if it's truth says more about YOUR ignorance than it does about the satirical piece. Traditional Values Coalition's Lou Sheldon skewered himself by falling for it; so did former California congressman William Dannemeyer, who read it into the Congressional Record, much to his embarrassment.
All of them omitted the first line in the satire: "This essay is an outré, madness, a tragic, cruel fantasy, an eruption of inner rage, on how the oppressed desperately dream of being the oppressor."
But that was over 20 years ago. Where have YOU been? Only the wingnuts at World Net Daily still believe it's meant to be true.
Shall we next expect you to post the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" by way of an attack on Jews?
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/swift1.asp
http://rainbowallianceopenfaith.homestead.com...
This was written/published in 1987 as a supposed 'fantasy,'
yet how much of it has already come true?

You be da judge!/bg

Homosexual Manifesto

AN ESSAY ON THE HOMOSEXUAL REVOLUTION
by Michael Swift
< http://libercratic.government.directnic.com/J... ;
see also: < http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/pwh/swift1.htm... ;

Reference. This essay was printed in the February 15, 1987 issue of the homosexual newspaper Gay Community News by Michael Swift, and was reprinted in the February 15-21 1987 Congressional Record.
----

This essay is an outré, madness, a tragic, cruel fantasy, an eruption of inner rage, on how the oppressed desperately dream of being the oppressor.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/THE_PARADISE_RE...
American Lady

Danville, KY

#3017 May 5, 2013
YO dipweed ...

Can ya *SEE* it NOW?

“From a distance...”

Planet Earth

#3018 May 5, 2013
The comment below and several others posted after it are mine, as I neglected to sign in after posting in a different forum.
Passing Through wrote:
<quoted text>
Since my list resulted from YOUR logic, thanks fro acknowledging your logic and "reasoning" (such as it is) stems from YOUR own prejudice.
<quoted text>
On the contrary, it is YOU who lacks the intelligence to put forth valid arguments that pass constitutional muster. You can't even muster the courage to use the reply button to address those who post to you.
<quoted text>
No, it merely proves you and your ilk don't really care about children being raised by their biological parents or you'd address the real causes of why that occurs in our society. You're nothing but a sniveling, whiny coward who uses a feigned concern for "children" to hide your loathsome prejudice against a group of your fellow citizens.

“From a distance...”

Planet Earth

#3019 May 5, 2013
d pants wrote:
<quoted text> children have to be taken away fom their biological parents every day. Even foster parents, that means good foster parents are hard to find. I know plenty of responsible gay adults who would make good foster parents.
We do need to try again. The idea of children being with their biological parents is great. But the reality of it many times isn't. http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1047746
I don't disagree with what you've stated. Keep in mind I told Brian I was taking his assertion regarding his belief that children should be raised by their biological parents to its logical conclusion. He offers that belief as a reason for prohibiting legal recognition of same sex even though it's not logically related to his belief at all. It's a wondering sentiment in theory but fails in practice since more than a few humans are poor parents for numerous reasons.

“From a distance...”

Planet Earth

#3020 May 5, 2013
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, Brian, you misunderstand. Perhaps reading comprehension is not your strong suit, along with your difficulties with logic and reason.
Neither TF nor I maintain that anyone is "advocating against adoption, divorce, etc."
What we are claiming is that YOUR argument (i.e., civil marriage is about ensuring that children are raised by their biological parents) logically leads to those conclusions.
YOUR position gives rise to an opposition to adoption, divorce, etc.
Your illogical arguments lead you there. Not ours.
Brian is the poster child for the adage "you can't make the blind see or the deaf hear". In his case, there is a special addendum "...or the brainless think".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Right Fights Wedding Cake War on Overly Nar... 2 min Frankie Rizzo 21
News Mississippi Governor Signs Law Allowing Busines... 2 min Thechief 354
News North Carolina fight over transgender rights, b... 3 min FancyButtPirate 13
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 3 min An NFL Fan 1,710
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 3 min June VanDerMark 9,728
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 9 min Frankie Rizzo 34,202
News The Latest: Kasich calls for balance on gay rig... 28 min Rainbow Kid 5
More from around the web