Clergy Letter Asks IL House to OK Gay...

Clergy Letter Asks IL House to OK Gay Marriage

There are 10 comments on the EDGE story from Nov 4, 2013, titled Clergy Letter Asks IL House to OK Gay Marriage. In it, EDGE reports that:

A coalition of clergy members and faith leaders has sent a letter to Illinois House members encouraging them to support gay marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Nov 4, 2013
I wonder what denominations the people who signed this belong to.

And notice its the blacks who are are so strongly against this. They should be the FIRST ones supporting it, since similar laws used to ban interracial marriage.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2 Nov 4, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
I wonder what denominations the people who signed this belong to.
And notice its the blacks who are are so strongly against this. They should be the FIRST ones supporting it, since similar laws used to ban interracial marriage.
You have had the facts pointed out to you multiple times by multiple people. The fact that you keep repeating it makes you a liar. But we all knew that already.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#3 Nov 4, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You have had the facts pointed out to you multiple times by multiple people. The fact that you keep repeating it makes you a liar. But we all knew that already.
What are you referring to ? What i said above was TRUTHFUL.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 Nov 4, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you referring to ? What i said above was TRUTHFUL.
You said that the blacks are preventing the bill from being passed. Why don't you blame the evangelicals? Or the real culprits: The Republicans.

The Republicans not only have interest groups working against the bill, they have actual members of the legislature who are voting against it. The black churches have no sizable representation in the legislature. And the Republicans have demonstrated that they will take vengeance on anyone to votes pro-gay.

The fact is that the black caucus in Illinois' legislature has a strong majority in favor of the bill. They have announced support for the bill in greater proportion than the white Democratic caucus. And the Republican caucus is voting against it.

If the white Democratic caucus voted for the bill in the same proportion as the black Democratic caucus, the Republican opposition would have to go pound sand.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#5 Nov 4, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
I wonder what denominations the people who signed this belong to.
And notice its the blacks who are are so strongly against this. They should be the FIRST ones supporting it, since similar laws used to ban interracial marriage.
"the blacks" as you so lovingly describe a large segment of the American people, are actually a small subset of the larger group. You infer the conservative ministers who happen to be black,(who are getting more press than those black ministers who oppose such bigotry) speak for the whole.

They don't.

And chances are these 300 belong to the larger group FaithfulAmerica.org .

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#6 Nov 4, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You said that the blacks are preventing the bill from being passed. Why don't you blame the evangelicals? Or the real culprits: The Republicans.
The Republicans not only have interest groups working against the bill, they have actual members of the legislature who are voting against it. The black churches have no sizable representation in the legislature. And the Republicans have demonstrated that they will take vengeance on anyone to votes pro-gay.
The fact is that the black caucus in Illinois' legislature has a strong majority in favor of the bill. They have announced support for the bill in greater proportion than the white Democratic caucus. And the Republican caucus is voting against it.
If the white Democratic caucus voted for the bill in the same proportion as the black Democratic caucus, the Republican opposition would have to go pound sand.
The article specifically states: "A coalition of black ministers has strongly opposed gay marriage, including with robocalls asking people to urge their lawmakers to vote against it."

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#7 Nov 4, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
The article specifically states: "A coalition of black ministers has strongly opposed gay marriage, including with robocalls asking people to urge their lawmakers to vote against it."
so what? You get your panties in a wad when the press uses terms like "a coalition of democratic groups" and the word "Catholic".

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#8 Nov 4, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>so what? You get your panties in a wad when the press uses terms like "a coalition of democratic groups" and the word "Catholic".
Those groups shouldn't be allowed in this country.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#9 Nov 4, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
The article specifically states: "A coalition of black ministers has strongly opposed gay marriage, including with robocalls asking people to urge their lawmakers to vote against it."
So what. There's a coalition of essentially white groups led by NOM, FRC, AFA, etc. there's a coalition of Republican groups opposed. That coalition does not represent all blacks any more than the Log Cabin society represents all gays.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#10 Nov 4, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Those groups shouldn't be allowed in this country.
And here you keep telling us how much you revere the constitution. Which takes us right back to my first comment about your constant lies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Unhinged pastor tells "gay world" to "go to a M... 33 min cpeter1313 18
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 42 min spud 377
News a CDC ban on 'fetus' and 'transgender?' Experts... 1 hr Repugnantcan Era 27
News While SCOTUS Decides 'Cakeshop' Case, Canadians... 1 hr Wondering 6
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 1 hr Wondering 150
Philippines' President Duterte says he'll prote... 1 hr Nicola 1
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 7 hr Frindly 15,044
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 17 hr E X P O S E D 26,933
More from around the web