Lift U.S. ban on blood donations by g...

Lift U.S. ban on blood donations by gay men

There are 62 comments on the WLBT-TV Jackson story from Jul 25, 2014, titled Lift U.S. ban on blood donations by gay men. In it, WLBT-TV Jackson reports that:

The United States should repeal a 30-year policy that bans blood donations from gay and bisexual men, according to a team of medical and legal experts writing this week in the Journal of the American Medical Association .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLBT-TV Jackson.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#50 Jul 26, 2014
Homostats wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you are saying, is that gays have no problem with acting unethically.
Not surprising, since the gay mind is prone to rationalization.
Nope, I'm saying the bans aren't based on any rational medical evidence, but rather out of sheer fear & ignorance. In addition, the bans actually have the adverse effect of putting those who may be at a higher risk to lie about it and donate anyways.

Either way, the ban is totally ineffective and only further stigmatizes all gay men as HIV carries.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tawas City, Michigan

#51 Jul 26, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we know they have no problem lying. Even you did it when you signed up for the military.
And once again you deflect because you can't address the subject.

Btw, I never lied when I signed up for the military.

Try again.

Tawas City, Michigan

#52 Jul 26, 2014
Mustang Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you are saying is that gays lie because that want to infect innocent people with their deadly diseases.
Nope, I'm say some people will feel forced to lie about their risk status- whether gay or straight- often out of social pressure. Others recognize the ban for what it is- an overreaction & homophobic policy- and will donate anyways.

Either way, the ban is totally ineffective at keeping gay men from donating blood or keeping HIV out of the blood supply.

If you feel safer with the ban in place, that just proves how ignorant you are.
Homostats

Las Vegas, NV

#53 Jul 26, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I'm saying the bans aren't based on any rational medical evidence, but rather out of sheer fear & ignorance. In addition, the bans actually have the adverse effect of putting those who may be at a higher risk to lie about it and donate anyways.
Either way, the ban is totally ineffective and only further stigmatizes all gay men as HIV carries.
Pit Bull dog lovers also say that Pit Bulls should not be stigmatized.
But young children are regularly killed by them.
Gay bias and fear of being labeled as biased by the gays should not be used to compromise safety.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mustang Mike

Knoxville, TN

#54 Jul 26, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I'm say some people will feel forced to lie about their risk status- whether gay or straight- often out of social pressure.
Hey dufus, those of us who donate a blood bank are not FORCED to do so. We donate voluntarily because we want to help people. We don't get paid.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pedro

Anonymous Proxy

#55 Jul 26, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think the "ban" actually keeps any gay men from donating blood?
Simply gay men should not donate blood for obvious reasons. Why would a gay man donate blood in the first place? Facts are homosexual men have the probability of having Hiv why chance it? Only a desperate dope fiend homosexual has probably sold blood $. No homosexual is going to donate his blood unless he don't care about the possibility's, sick deprived individual.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Belle Sexton

Santa Cruz, CA

#57 Jul 27, 2014
Close all for-pay blood centers.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#58 Jul 27, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And once again you deflect because you can't address the subject.
Btw, I never lied when I signed up for the military.
Try again.
Were homosexuals accepted in the military when you signed up?
What would happen if they found out you were gay?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Corbutt of the Joke

Philadelphia, PA

#60 Jul 27, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you asking about that recent history of uninfomed bigotry you support when you actually live in pre Civil War times in terms of your attitudes?

In other words, your bs is of no relevance. You're sick is all.

Tawas City, Michigan

#61 Jul 27, 2014
Mustang Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey dufus, those of us who donate a blood bank are not FORCED to do so. We donate voluntarily because we want to help people. We don't get paid.
I never said they were forced to donate, but rather some high risk people may FEEL forced to lie about their status in order to donate with the rest of the group. I witnessed this first hand while running the blood donor center in the military- an entire recruit company would be brought in to donate blood, and at that time they couldn't exactly admit they had sex with other men for fear of being kicked out of the military. So they lied in order to donate.

So the policy worked the OPPOSITE of what it was intended to do.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tawas City, Michigan

#62 Jul 27, 2014
Pedro wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply gay men should not donate blood for obvious reasons. Why would a gay man donate blood in the first place? Facts are homosexual men have the probability of having Hiv why chance it? Only a desperate dope fiend homosexual has probably sold blood $. No homosexual is going to donate his blood unless he don't care about the possibility's, sick deprived individual.
Anyone who has ever had unprotected sex in their lives is at risk of having HIV. That rules out the vast majority of the entire population.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Corbutt of the Joke

Philadelphia, PA

#63 Jul 27, 2014
Homostats wrote:
<quoted text>
Pit Bull dog lovers also say that Pit Bulls should not be stigmatized.
But young children are regularly killed by them.
Gay bias and fear of being labeled as biased by the gays should not be used to compromise safety.
I'm glad you posted that to further reveal your stupidity and ignorance.

There's little problem with the breed. The problem with pitbulls has been shown again and again and again to be those owners of dogs (any dog) who have had previous violent episodes with their dogs, either acting out violence on the dogs or letting the dogs run free and be violent.

Right wing trash can't understand "statistics" or "subset." This pitbull controversy is precisely the racial profiling controversy. And again, right wing filth can't fathom in what way. their brains are wired for bigotry, not thought.

There's no end to breeds that are capable of jaw strength. Why don't these cretins ban Estrellas and German Shepherds and English Mastiffs and Rotties and Dogos and Corsos?(Because it's about racism - pitbbulls are seen as "black" - and idiocy.)

There's no problem with the safety of the blood supply in Western countries with respect to HIV. And all these other, Western countries have no ban on gay men donating. And even with the policy, closet cases can just lie and donate.

Yet still no HIV problem with the blood supply.

Your "argument" is actually just your deep seated psychosexual fixations seeking some rationale to be expressed as hate. You're very, very sick is all.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tawas City, Michigan

#64 Jul 27, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, homosexuals have always been accepted in the military.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Corbutt of the Joke

Philadelphia, PA

#65 Jul 27, 2014
Pedro wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply gay men should not donate blood for obvious reasons. Why would a gay man donate blood in the first place?
Because you're a sick and chromosomally damaged mouthbreather who doesn't know the first thing.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Corbutt of the Joke

Philadelphia, PA

#66 Jul 27, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true. The policy was never really meant to protect the blood supply.(It might have been a reasonable thing decades ago when not all the facts were clear.)

The policy is to shame gay men. That's the actual intention. The policy itself is baseless as far as blood safety.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#67 Jul 27, 2014
Pedro wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply gay men should not donate blood for obvious reasons. Why would a gay man donate blood in the first place?
Maybe the traditional family value of SAVING A LIFE and being a part of the community??

There is no scientific basis for the ban. It does not make the blood supply safer and it intentionally reduces the available number of suitable donors without any real justification.

All blood is tested. The test is reliable. The ban is foolish.

End of story.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#68 Jul 28, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said they were forced to donate, but rather some high risk people may FEEL forced to lie about their status in order to donate with the rest of the group. I witnessed this first hand while running the blood donor center in the military- an entire recruit company would be brought in to donate blood, and at that time they couldn't exactly admit they had sex with other men for fear of being kicked out of the military. So they lied in order to donate.
I worked for a company in the healthcare industry about 10 years ago. It was customary for the bloodmobile to show up every few months to take blood "donations" from the staff. We were all "highly encouraged" to donate (i.e. HR noticed who did and didn't participate in the blood drives). I was completely out at that job, so outing myself by not donating was never an issue for me (had I been able to donate, I would have regardless of the gay ban).

But I was amazed at the number of people that had NO clue that gay men were summarily banned from donating blood. Several people actually went so far as to ask the people on the bloodmobile if what I was saying was true. To their credit, they seemed appropriately embarrassed when they had to admit that it was.

I suspect that it was partly because of me making such a big deal over the fact that I was banned from donating blood when the bloodmobile came by that the company finally discontinued the practice.(It didn't help, either, that another of my co-workers mentioned to HR that the peer pressure that was being used to get people to donate was a lawsuit waiting to happen....)

Since: Jul 14

Enschede, Netherlands

#69 Jul 28, 2014
I never quite understood the issue here anyway – it is not like people just take the blood and go ‘Alright lets plop this in somewhere’. It is tested beforehand, it is not as though every gay man has HIV (contrary to what ignorant Rufus up top is trying to say.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#70 Jul 28, 2014
eJohn wrote:
But I was amazed at the number of people that had NO clue that gay men were summarily banned from donating blood.
I'm not surprised that you were amazed. Do you know why cancer rates are down? For the thousands of walks and billions/trillions of dollars that they raise the big secret is getting tested. Your doctor should be telling you this for free.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#71 Jul 28, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not surprised that you were amazed. Do you know why cancer rates are down? For the thousands of walks and billions/trillions of dollars that they raise the big secret is getting tested. Your doctor should be telling you this for free.
Cancer rates are down because getting tested is a secret??

You're gonna have to try harder than that if you want anyone to know what the hell you're talking about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 min Frindly 14,825
Why Are You a Homophobe? 4 min Rose_NoHo 24
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 9 min Bruddah Z 58,455
News Putin Abhorred Abroad, Loved at Home Amid Hard ... 16 min RIP 19
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 24 min NotSoDivineMsM 336
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 30 min Frankie Rizzo 26,916
Roy Moore.....Just Another Hypocrite 1 hr GodSmacked 413
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 20 hr funhouse mirror 108
More from around the web