Lift U.S. ban on blood donations by g...

Lift U.S. ban on blood donations by gay men

There are 62 comments on the WLBT-TV Jackson story from Jul 25, 2014, titled Lift U.S. ban on blood donations by gay men. In it, WLBT-TV Jackson reports that:

The United States should repeal a 30-year policy that bans blood donations from gay and bisexual men, according to a team of medical and legal experts writing this week in the Journal of the American Medical Association .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLBT-TV Jackson.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Homostats

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Jul 25, 2014
I would think the gays would be happier donating semen.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Nov 09

Columbus OH

#5 Jul 25, 2014
The haters could not wait to hijack this feed. Keeping the ban does not make the blood any safer. It only shows how backward the FDA is. All blood is tested and Gay men are the not the only source of HIV.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#6 Jul 25, 2014
nealcmh wrote:
The haters could not wait to hijack this feed. Keeping the ban does not make the blood any safer. It only shows how backward the FDA is. All blood is tested and Gay men are the not the only source of HIV.
The tests, like your assessment, are inadequate. If I found out that a hospital gave me gay blood I would sue them.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Ted Haggard s Masseur

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Jul 25, 2014
As it is now, fundie closet case or other down low men who have sex with men, and who don't say they're gay, can lie and donate blood.

Also the policy, which relies on this self reporting of the donor, does not single out men who have had unprotected anal or insertive vaginal sex for, say, the twelve months prior to blood donation. It sweeps up all gay men. And it still relies on self reporting, anyway, a fallible thing.

We don't face any HIV transmission in this country due to the blood supply. Virtually none. The risk is like getting hit lightning.(In China the blood supply chain is a different matter.)

This is an irrational policy from beginning to end and is only in place because there are still a lot people with severe sexual-religio problems, amply represented in this luridly explicit and fixated thread, who live only to demonize gay men.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Jul 25, 2014
Rufus wrote:
Protect our blood supply from AIDS!
Keep the ban!!!
Do you really think the "ban" actually keeps any gay men from donating blood?
Ted Haggard s Masseur

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Jul 25, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
The tests, like your assessment, are inadequate. If I found out that a hospital gave me gay blood I would sue them.
In that case I think hospitals should put people like you on a "do not admit or treat" list, then, but medical ethics alone would not permit them to do that. Even though they should.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#10 Jul 25, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you'd do the same if you found out they gave you black blood.

Bans are completely ineffective; those who wish to donate blood will do so regardless.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#11 Jul 25, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you'd do the same if you found out they gave you black blood.
Bans are completely ineffective; those who wish to donate blood will do so regardless.
If the blood was clean I wouldn't care, problem, they don't have a test that will clear gay blood.
Ted Haggard s Masseur

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Jul 25, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think the "ban" actually keeps any gay men from donating blood?
Of course it does, whether the policy is well constructed or not, particularly if it's a work or school related blood drive and the person is out.

The problem is those who have sex with men and who are not out - imagine what they're going to do at a workplace blood drive...say, "I can't donate blood"? I don't think so. And that cohort is one of the one's you _would_ want to focus extra restrictions on as far as blood donation in many cases (substance abuse, hep, etc.)
Ted Haggard s Masseur

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Jul 25, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
If the blood was clean I wouldn't care....
Liar, you wouldn't still care, you'd still be fixated.

There's been no HIV risk in blood transfusion in Western countries for decades, and the other Western countries do not share the fundie US ban. That's something called "fact."

You have a baseless "fear." But you have a very pungent, real fear that lgbt people will become personally and politically immune to "religious" desires to defame and disfranchise them by any lying means available. And your worst "fears" are coming true in this sense...so you become more irrational in your lying.
Ted Haggard s Masseur

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Jul 25, 2014
Rufus wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's the principle.
I;m sure lots of queers donate knowing that they have AIDS.
Right, closet cases can be irresponsible now, under the anti rational policy.

In other words, the policy doesn't prevent anything.

It is just to attack gay men, as your own, poorly thought out post demonstrates.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#17 Jul 25, 2014
I can't imagine any gay person that wants to donate blood would "self-report" and knock themselves out of the donor pool just because of some pointless, antiquated law from the panicked, "check under your bed for gays" days.

I don't donate blood because I tend to pass out and/or throw up from the few seconds it takes to give 10ccs for a simple blood test. I can't imagine how I'd get through a full donation without general anesthesia.

But if I *were* capable of donating blood, I absolutely would. And no questionnaire asking irrelevant questions would stop me.
Ted Haggard s Masseur

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Jul 25, 2014
eJohn wrote:
I can't imagine any gay person that wants to donate blood would "self-report" and knock themselves out of the donor pool just because of some pointless, antiquated law from the panicked, "check under your bed for gays" days.
I don't donate blood because I tend to pass out and/or throw up from the few seconds it takes to give 10ccs for a simple blood test. I can't imagine how I'd get through a full donation without general anesthesia.
But if I *were* capable of donating blood, I absolutely would. And no questionnaire asking irrelevant questions would stop me.
That's the thing, there are many good, specific reasons not to donate blood, including recent flu, blood diseases, recent alcohol use, travel to certain countries within certain time periods, recent unsafe sex.

So you might or might not want to donate blood if you didn't have the nausea issues.

That's the point - rational reasons to not donate versus irrational ones (being a gay man.)
Ted Haggard s Masseur

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Jul 25, 2014
Howard wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully your AIDS blood would get screened out.
With any luck you will die as a result of a blood shortage when you need a transfusion.

Amen.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#21 Jul 25, 2014
Start you own gay blood bank just for gays to receive. The rest of us don't want gay blood.
Ted Haggard s Masseur

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Jul 25, 2014
Chance wrote:
Start you own gay blood bank just for gays to receive. The rest of us don't want gay blood.
But fact deficient talibangelicals only speak for a shrinking, increasingly uneducated minority. It's like the Boy Scouts - it's the homophobes who have to go start their own organizations these days. Not pro lgbt or str allies. Just the bigots.

Okay, Snickkkers?
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#23 Jul 25, 2014
Ted Haggard s Masseur wrote:
<quoted text>
But fact deficient talibangelicals only speak for a shrinking, increasingly uneducated minority. It's like the Boy Scouts - it's the homophobes who have to go start their own organizations these days. Not pro lgbt or str allies. Just the bigots.
Okay, Snickkkers?
Sure Fruitloops.
Ted Haggard s Masseur

Philadelphia, PA

#24 Jul 25, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure
"Relax cowboy. I like fine when you try to 'get me back'. Ah good times! I like it fine. That's why I do it, silly. Seems to work good on retards like you."

That's how we roll.
lgbt is silly

Knoxville, TN

#25 Jul 25, 2014
Wondering wrote:
As well you should!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#26 Jul 25, 2014
Ted Haggard s Masseur wrote:
As it is now, fundie closet case or other down low men who have sex with men, and who don't say they're gay, can lie and donate blood.
Also the policy, which relies on this self reporting of the donor, does not single out men who have had unprotected anal or insertive vaginal sex for, say, the twelve months prior to blood donation. It sweeps up all gay men. And it still relies on self reporting, anyway, a fallible thing.
We don't face any HIV transmission in this country due to the blood supply. Virtually none. The risk is like getting hit lightning.(In China the blood supply chain is a different matter.)
This is an irrational policy from beginning to end and is only in place because there are still a lot people with severe sexual-religio problems, amply represented in this luridly explicit and fixated thread, who live only to demonize gay men.
You are correct. Unfortunately people like wondering simply refuse to apply basic logic to these things.

There is no reason to ban gay men other than paranoia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Church of Scotland moves closer to letting mini... 10 min Pope Closet Emeritus 2
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 12 min No Surprise 6,083
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 24 min Respect71 49,339
BIG PARTY News 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 11
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 69,534
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 1 hr guest 1,659
News Russia is Investigating Chechnya's Anti-Gay Purge 2 hr Howard 1
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 25,635
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 13 hr Eagle 12 462
More from around the web