Is 2014 the year for gay marriage in Ohio?

Mar 1, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Marion Star

Robert Johnson-Keeton grew up in a religious community just outside Chillicothe.

Comments
861 - 880 of 1,184 Comments Last updated Friday Jun 27

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You mad bro?
You drunk, boozer?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I support the right of the owner of the business to decide, rather than the government (just like even though I don't smoke, I support allowing the owner of the business do decide whether or not to allow smoking in his business, rather than the government). You show your ignorance by not knowing the difference.
Good, I'm going to open a business that has a huge sign in front...

"NO CHRISTIANS ALLOWED!"

Let's see how well that plays, I mean it'll be MY business, won't it? i wonder how many of you big talkers will support my freedom of choice and my first amendment rights?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm so proud.
X-Rated Breath ranted:

"Who do you think you idiots are fooling? Then explain the millions of butt-ugly heteros. What thaat little feller..'You're a fool and still have no clue..' You are delusional..... and a bad liar. Your reading comprehension is almost as piss poor as Flunkie's. Wow! You get crazier by the day. Where did I I say I believe in slavery? Grow the f*ck up, already. You don't benefit society in any way. ahahahahahah ahahhahahahaha ahahhahahahaha You are a lunatic. Shit-for-Brains. And you wonder why you have no credibility here.. That's why... I can't even imagine how nasty your junk must be. Yep.... you've been taking lessons from Flunkie. Just make up any ol' thing and run with it. I said the sky is green and the grass is red. Who do you think you idiots are fooling? Mr. Bat-Shit Crazy! You are a lunatic. Grow the f*ck up, already. You don't benefit society in any way. ahahahahahah ahahhahahahaha ahahhahahahaha You are a lunatic. Rev Shit-for-Brains. ahahahahahah ahahhahahahaha ahahhahahahaha You are a lunatic. Shit-for-Brains. And you wonder why you have no credibility here.. That's why... I can't even imagine how nasty your junk must be. Yep...."

Priceless!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Good, I'm going to open a business that has a huge sign in front...
"NO CHRISTIANS ALLOWED!"
Let's see how well that plays, I mean it'll be MY business, won't it? i wonder how many of you big talkers will support my freedom of choice and my first amendment rights?
I remember when they had signs on doors of businesses "No dogs or Sailors". Of course I was a sailor then.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>You drunk, boozer?
No. How about yourself, fruitcake?

Even if I was drunk, you'd still be stupid. Then tomorrow I'd be sober, but you'd still be stupid.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I support the right of the owner of the business to decide, rather than the government (just like even though I don't smoke, I support allowing the owner of the business do decide whether or not to allow smoking in his business, rather than the government). You show your ignorance by not knowing the difference.
I oppose segregated lunch counters, period, and obviously via laws preventing segregation and other forms of bigotry in places of public accommodations.

You support segregated lunch counters...as long as a business owner decides there will be segregated lunch counters in his business.

No one ever said anything about the government mandating segregated lunch counters. Obviously the entire debate is about the government preventing bigots from acting out such discrimination...you were not making a distinction.

There's no ignorance on my part.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No. How....
Red healing. Get an arrangement.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Good, I'm going to open a business that has a huge sign in front...
"NO CHRISTIANS ALLOWED!"
OK by me!

It seems that some on the pro-gay marriage side are as much control freaks as some on the anti side. Which is rather a surprise them since many of them know how being denied liberty feels. I guess some people only think about liberty when it's their ox that's being gored, and even then only in very narrow terms. How sad.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

Fundies R Mentally Nil wrote:
<quoted text>
I oppose segregated lunch counters, period, and obviously via laws preventing segregation and other forms of bigotry in places of public accommodations.
How wonderfully specific of you.
You support segregated lunch counters...as long as a business owner decides there will be segregated lunch counters in his business. No one ever said anything about the government mandating segregated lunch counters.
My decision over support will be decided by my use or non-use of my wallet at a particular business.

By the way, you brought segregated lunch counters into this, which implies some level of service. I was referring to any service at all! As another poster provided an example of... a sign saying "No Christians" should be allowed in society that values liberty. Forcing a business to accommodate people they don't want to accommodate is a form of slavery, which has been frowned upon in this country for a very long time.
Obviously the entire debate is about the government preventing bigots from acting out such discrimination...you were not making a distinction.
The distinction is that since everyone is forced to pay the government for its services, the government must provide its services to everyone. Individual business owners aren't forcing payment from others.
There's no ignorance on my part.
Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My decision over support will be decided by my use or non-use of my wallet at a particular business.
By the way, you brought segregated lunch counters into this, which implies some level of service. I was referring to any service at all
We're not talking about your "decision" as a consumer.

We're speaking about laws barring discrimination in places of public accommodation, laws which will continue regardless of the outcome of the one case under discussion. You merely have a particular animus against lgbt people, but I'm sure many other bigotries.

You didn't make a point about the segregated lunch counters. Whether no blacks are in the business or they're shoved into a "separate but equal" [sic] area makes no difference.

You support that. Or that's what you say...but obviously you're none to clear on what you're saying / dissembling.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK by me!
It seems that some on the pro-gay marriage side are as much control freaks as some on the anti side. Which is rather a surprise them since many of them know how being denied liberty feels. I guess some people only think about liberty when it's their ox that's being gored, and even then only in very narrow terms. How sad.
Good post. Curteese is one of those haters who thinks it's not hate when he does it.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post. Curteese is one of those haters who thinks it's not hate when he does it.
Are you mad, bro-keback?

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
We're not talking about your "decision" as a consumer.

I should be the only determiner (along with other consumers), using my wallet, of whether or not a business is successful.

[QUOTE]We're speaking about laws barring discrimination in places of public accommodation
YOU'RE talking about forcing business owners to sell their property to people they might not want to sell it to. The only REAL "public accommodation" is the government.
, laws which will continue regardless of the outcome of the one case under discussion. You merely have a particular animus against lgbt people, but I'm sure many other bigotries.
Not at all. I am a strong supporter of gay marriage, and many other liberties. It's all about liberty. I simply believe that a liberty that requires squelching the liberty of another (absent demonstrable harm) is rather hypocritical.
You didn't make a point about the segregated lunch counters. Whether no blacks are in the business or they're shoved into a "separate but equal" [sic] area makes no difference.
You support that.
No, I would "not support" a business that excluded blacks, by "not spending" my money there.
Or that's what you say...but obviously you're none to clear on what you're saying / dissembling.
You can't see the difference between "support" and "allow", and are attempting to demonize me with grand presumptions based on your ignorance of that difference.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

It's the same logic as the first amendment. I "support" your speech if I agree with it, but even if I didn't "support" it, you are still "allowed" to say it.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU'RE talking about forcing business owners to sell their property to people they might not want to sell it to. The only REAL "public accommodation" is the government.
Again, the cases under discussion are not about your general principle that business owners somehow get to discriminate against people on the basis of these protected traits, plural.

The cases under discussion have only to do with "religious" beliefs vis a vis lgbt people.

So you're on the outs no matter how these immediate cases are resolved.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Again, the cases under discussion are not about your general principle that business owners somehow get to discriminate against people on the basis of these protected traits, plural.
The cases under discussion have only to do with "religious" beliefs vis a vis lgbt people.
Who made you the grand determiner of what discussions have to do with? Is there some sort of ownership you are claiming?
So you're on the outs no matter how these immediate cases are resolved.
Much like the customer who has the right to not patronize businesses which do not conform to his moral compass, you have the right to not respond to posts you don't like.
Pappy

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2014

Judged:

Discrimination is good.

Discrimination allows smart people to survive and flourish.

Smart people regularly discriminate between good and bad, healthy and unhealthy, nutritious and junk food, good taste and bad taste, good smell and bad smell, smart and stupid, etc. Stupid people let a central government and their primitive animal instincts define and enforce for them what they consider good discrimination. Stupid people refer to their government defined and enforced discrimination scheme as diversity and freedom.

There is no constitutional delegated power authorizing stategov or fedgov to prohibit people and businesses from discriminating based on sexual orientation. The 9th and 10th amendments clearly state that the people have the law making power to define civil rights, not a stategov or the fedgov.

The "people" mentioned in the US constitution are all governments below the state level, which are normally referred to as local governments. Leftists have interpreted the word "people" to mean individuals or persons, whereas the word "people" is obviously plural. Leftist also equate voting by ordinary people to be law-making power, which again is obviously not true.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2014

Judged:

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who made you the grand determiner of what discussions have to do with? Is there some sort of ownership you are claiming?
<quoted text>
Much like the customer who has the right to not patronize businesses which do not conform to his moral compass, you have the right to not respond to posts you don't like.
Hey cretin, it is a fact there are no legal cases in process or under discussion which have anything at all to do with your BS "libertarian" nonsense that a business could have segregated lunch counters or segregated restaurants.

The only nascent issue is whether christianist freeeks can refuse service to lgbt customers.

This is fact.

So you're not really arguing some (BS) principle, you're actually only commenting on treating lgbt people as less than.

And sub human, your allowing businesses to discriminate on the basis of one (or all) protected traits is tantamount to supporting discrimination.

I, on the other hand, think that sort of blanket discrimination is invidious and should be curtailed. As has been the practice since the Civil Rights Act of 64, give or take a few added, protected groups in various laws and decisions.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2014

Judged:

Pappy wrote:
Discrimination is good.
Discrimination allows smart people to survive and flourish.
Smart people regularly discriminate
In ignorantly yet purposefully conflating two separate meanings of the word you have inadvertently alluded to the fact that it's better educated persons (and less "religious" and younger,) who favor equal lgbt rights.

We know from the Prop 8 and other polling that it's uneducated people who tend to be the homophobic bigots, Jethro.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Hey cretin, it is a fact there are no legal cases in process or under discussion which have anything at all to do with your BS "libertarian" nonsense that a business could have segregated lunch counters or segregated restaurants.
The only nascent issue is whether christianist freeeks can refuse service to lgbt customers.
This is fact.
It's the same issue.
So you're not really arguing some (BS) principle, you're actually only commenting on treating lgbt people as less than.
And sub human, your allowing businesses to discriminate on the basis of one (or all) protected traits is tantamount to supporting discrimination.
As in allowing people to paint their house pink means I like pink houses? Not quite.
I, on the other hand, think that sort of blanket discrimination is invidious and should be curtailed.
If it is so invidious, the businesses will soon find themselves out of business, so no force (law) is necessary. You people (control freaks) love to use force on people, don't you? You don't worry THAT might be invidious! Hypocrite.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••