Utah Cites Procreation in Gay Marriage Lawsuit

Oct 14, 2013 Full story: EDGE 116

Attorneys for the state of Utah are defending a state constitutional amendment that defines marriage as a union of a man and woman, saying it promotes the state's interest in "responsible procreation" and the "optimal mode of child-rearing."

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Oct 14, 2013
The homophobes have run out of rational arguments when all they can do is sidestep the issue of gay rights

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#2 Oct 14, 2013
Are they going to argue that gay parents should NOT have that "optimal mode of child-rearing" available?

I guess when you have no rational argument, logic and reason go out the window.
Tony

Rowlett, TX

#3 Oct 14, 2013
"Responsible procreation"? When was the last time a same sex married couple had an unplanned/unwanted pregnancy?

The entire US of A

#4 Oct 14, 2013
Tony wrote:
"Responsible procreation"? When was the last time a same sex married couple had an unplanned/unwanted pregnancy?
And of course these folks are not explaining how preventing gay people from marrying will encourage "responsible procreation" among heterosexuals.
Jafuf

Boston, MA

#6 Oct 14, 2013
Well, what do you expect from a bunch of morons...excuse me, mormons.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#7 Oct 14, 2013
What you want to be that the Regnerus piece get's brought into the case.

I can hardly wait. That bit of trash will finally get discredited where it counts ... in a Court of Law.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#11 Oct 14, 2013
If their claim is not to be ridiculed, they must include those unable or unwilling to bear children. And that is just to make them sound believable and serious. And even if they were to do so, which I doubt, it would still be unconstitutional.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#12 Oct 14, 2013
It certainly would be interesting to see the dance they'll do when they're questioned about the *millions* of legally married straight couples that cannot procreate "naturally" (whatever that means) and why those people are allowed to marry.

But then, when all you've got left on your side if panicking the stupid people, I guess you say really stupid, unsupportable things. Anything to frighten an idiot will do!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#13 Oct 14, 2013
Jafuf wrote:
Well, what do you expect from a bunch of morons...excuse me, mormons.
Those two words are synonyms.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#14 Oct 14, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
The homophobes have run out of rational arguments when all they can do is sidestep the issue of gay rights
I agree.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#15 Oct 14, 2013
Corbin wrote:
Attorneys for the state of Utah are defending a state constitutional amendment that defines marriage as a union of a man and woman.
DUH!
Why was this ever questioned in the first place. THAT'S THE REAL PROBLEM!
Allowing the religious fantasies of a few; to creep into a government constitution for all; is a faulty concept
So to court we go; here come da Judge

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Oct 14, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
And of course these folks are not explaining how preventing gay people from marrying will encourage "responsible procreation" among heterosexuals.
BINGO! We have a winner.

That is the link they NEVER make. They must think preventing same-sex couples from marrying will prevent us from forming families and raising children. The ONLY thing it does is prevent those of us who are going to have kids ANYWAYS from having the same legal rights & protections for our families.

Of course if they had their way, we would also be banned from adopting kids & banned from getting custody of our biological children. But what will they do about the lesbian who gets pregnant? I guess they'll either force her to have an abortion or take the child away after he/she is born.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Oct 14, 2013
This is being challenged in federal court in Utah, so at least the Mormon influence on the judge should be minimal.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Kansas City, MO.

#18 Oct 14, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
Yup, that's all folks!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#22 Oct 14, 2013
By the way, Charles Cooper used this same argument in the Prop 8 trial and it failed miserably......and it will here as well.......I can most definitely guarantee you that preventing Gay and Lesbian couples from marrying HAS NO BEARING on what straights will do!!!!

My marriage has NOT prevented one straight couple from marrying nor prevented one baby being born to responsible or irresponsible adults!!!

This argument is nothing more than another failed attempt to somehow justify one's dislike towards Gays and Lesbians being treated EQUALLY under the law!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#24 Oct 14, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
You really are a hateful bigot and your comment is disgusting!!!
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#25 Oct 14, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, you queer PedophiIes like them at Least under 13 years, I'm too old for you perverts, I'm over 13 yrs old.
Yes, by your juvenile comments, I'd say you're about 13 1/2 by now.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#29 Oct 14, 2013
Then act like you are over 13.
The Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, you queer PedophiIes like them at Least under 13 years, I'm too old for you perverts, I'm over 13 yrs old.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#30 Oct 14, 2013
The Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad you don't act like it.
The Worlds Biggest Lie

Chicopee, MA

#31 Oct 14, 2013
Quest wrote:
Are they going to argue that gay parents should NOT have that "optimal mode of child-rearing" available?
I guess when you have no rational argument, logic and reason go out the window.
Of course they should. Why should any state deny any child the basic human rights to be endowed with a female mother during the childs most indelible years of their lives? That's not only reasonable and logical, but also natural for all species that are born and have a female mother, goofy. Excuses excuses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christian Pastors Given Choice: Perform Same-Se... 5 min lides 76
GOP Congressional Candidate: Gay Couples Are 'G... 5 min Barbarianism is I... 4
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 5 min cancer suxs 1,380
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 9 min Wondering 3,744
Gay democracy activist in Cuba awaits sentencin... 10 min WE JUST DONT CARE 27
Crimea's Gay Community Moves Out as Russian Hom... 13 min VISIT FASCIST CRIMEA 55
The Erasure of 'Gay' From Black History & the B... 21 min Chief Afrohawk 59
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 46 min Reverend Alan 3,024
Gay kiss couple 'thrown off bus' 2 hr Lickalotta Lulu 27

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE