Senate Rejects Treaty to Protect Righ...

Senate Rejects Treaty to Protect Rights of People With Disabilities

There are 9 comments on the www.poz.com story from Dec 7, 2012, titled Senate Rejects Treaty to Protect Rights of People With Disabilities. In it, www.poz.com reports that:

U.S. Senate Republicans blocked ratification of the Convention on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities, The Washington Post reports. It was defeated by a 61 to 38 vote with all Democrats voting in favor. To ratify an international treaty, a two-thirds majority is required.

The treaty would commit signatory nations to develop their own versions of the U.S. Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), which prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities. People with HIV/AIDS and other physical or mental impairments are covered by the ADA.

The treaty had bipartisan support, but Republicans were split by concerns that U.S. sovereignty would be relinquished to the United Nations, which is charged with overseeing implementation. Dissenting Republicans were particularly concerned that the rights of parents who choose to home school children with disabilities would be violated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.poz.com.

Mona Lott

West New York, NJ

#1 Dec 7, 2012
Why are there Republicans in the world?

To prove how utterly selfish and mean humans can be.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#2 Dec 7, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
Why are there Republicans in the world?
To prove how utterly selfish and mean humans can be.
Since only 38 senators supoorted the treaty (why did they even bring it to a vote ?!), then a significant number of Democrats must also have voted against the treaty (14 Democrats voted against the treaty, I believe) Why aren't you castigating them ?!

You truly WANT a one-party state, don't you ? Typical socialist. They brook NO DISSENT !
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Dec 7, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Since only 38 senators supoorted the treaty (why did they even bring it to a vote ?!), then a significant number of Democrats must also have voted against the treaty (14 Democrats voted against the treaty, I believe) Why aren't you castigating them ?!
You truly WANT a one-party state, don't you ? Typical socialist. They brook NO DISSENT !
You have this all wrong, it needed a 2/3rds majority to pass, so it needed 63 votes to pass, since it only got 61 votes, it was two republican votes shy from passing. I thought republicans were supposed to be good at math...

Since: Apr 08

Cleveland, OH

#5 Dec 7, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Since only 38 senators supoorted the treaty (why did they even bring it to a vote ?!), then a significant number of Democrats must also have voted against the treaty (14 Democrats voted against the treaty, I believe) Why aren't you castigating them ?!
You truly WANT a one-party state, don't you ? Typical socialist. They brook NO DISSENT !
The record of who voted for and who voted against the treaty is at http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_ca...

The only ones who voted against the treaty were Republicans.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#6 Dec 7, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You have this all wrong, it needed a 2/3rds majority to pass, so it needed 63 votes to pass, since it only got 61 votes, it was two republican votes shy from passing. I thought republicans were supposed to be good at math...
I read a news report stating it ONLY recieved 38 votes FOR the treaty, not 61 votes.

Since: Apr 08

Cleveland, OH

#7 Dec 7, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I read a news report stating it ONLY recieved 38 votes FOR the treaty, not 61 votes.
You're mistaken. Follow the link in my previous posting and you can see exactly how the voting went complete with names and party affiliations.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#8 Dec 7, 2012
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
You're mistaken. Follow the link in my previous posting and you can see exactly how the voting went complete with names and party affiliations.
I did, but I read much earlier a news report saying the treaty only recieved 28 votes in favor of it.

Since: Apr 08

Cleveland, OH

#9 Dec 7, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I did, but I read much earlier a news report saying the treaty only recieved 28 votes in favor of it.
The earlier report you read was clearly incorrect. The senate's own record of the vote proves that.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#10 Dec 7, 2012
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
The earlier report you read was clearly incorrect. The senate's own record of the vote proves that.
Probably so.

I MEANT TO SAY: "I read an earlier news report that said the treaty recieved only 38 (THIRTY EIGHT) votes FOR the treaty."

Hence, my earliest post on the matter.

And the U.S. should have done what Charles Wick said decades ago, which if not all of you remember, was to quit the U.N., tear down the building, and stand at the dock waving goodbye and bidding a fond farewell to all of the foreigners who previously occupied that building.

The U.S. has about 5% of the world's population yet pays 25% of the U.N.'s budget (at least). It is a thoroughly corrupt organization that has failed miserably in it's main mission which is to prevent war. At least 80% of the membership are tin-horn dictatorships, that don't give a damn about democracy or the welfare of their own people. It's anti-Semitic and anti-Christian as well as being anti-democratic.

It's a HUGE WASTE of the American taxpayers' money, and we should LEAVE NOW ! It's a POS that should be KICKED OFF OF U.S. SOIL ASAP. Let them relocate to one of the "Worker's Paradises" called Cuba, Communist China, or Russia.

FFUUCCKK THE U.N.!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Rose_NoHo 61,733
News Two Texas Men Who Used Grindr To Assault, Rob G... 2 hr judy 5
News Giant gay-friendly church welcomed into United ... (Nov '06) 2 hr judy 1,284
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 3 hr Bouncy House 28,127
News State investigation reveals discrimination at O... 4 hr Joseph DeDominicis 7
News Virginia hardware store fires employee accused ... 6 hr whiney beech 19
News Lyft driver in Indianapolis orders gay couple o... 6 hr Munchkin 48