I'm Not Your Bro, Brah: The Internet'...

I'm Not Your Bro, Brah: The Internet's Beef With Gaybros

There are 13 comments on the EDGE story from May 26, 2013, titled I'm Not Your Bro, Brah: The Internet's Beef With Gaybros. In it, EDGE reports that:

Shower beers, the Smashing Pumpkins and Kawasaki motorcycles aren't generally taboo topics for young men to discuss on the Internet, but one Reddit-based community has proved they can be kindling for a veritable Internet firestorm provided its members are gay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Chris

Mesa, AZ

#1 May 26, 2013
Yeah just what the world needs more "straight acting" guys. What the hell is wrong with being yourself? Gaybros, get a life and stop trying to be something you're not

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#2 May 26, 2013
Chris wrote:
Yeah just what the world needs more "straight acting" guys. What the hell is wrong with being yourself? Gaybros, get a life and stop trying to be something you're not
They ARE being themselves. That's the point.
SirAndrew

Honolulu, HI

#3 May 26, 2013
Whatever is "straight acting" anyway? Belching, scratching your nuts and ogling ever set of tits that saunters past? Self-hating gays need to deal with their esteem issues.

“Wondrous Awe Is the Salvation”

Since: Jul 07

Mount Meru

#4 May 26, 2013
Chris wrote:
Actually Chris, that is exactly right, what the hell is wrong with being yourself? I am an openly and militantly gay man who loves to fish, hike, climb rocks, watch college football with a beer and a bet, shoot pistols, and not worry too much about my looks. I'm just a guy raised in the country, with my Eagle Scout from a real scout troop, a love of the outdoors and really roughing it, and not really into the flamboyant thing. That is not me. All of this does not mean that I have any issues with the more traditionally gay role men that I am great friends with, nor does it mean that I have not had wonderful flings with drag queens or that I am 'straight-acting'(which has nothing to do with what this new group is about). I am me; openly, proudly, and happily. Unfortunately, me does not seem to fit well into the 'gay world'. I have lived in San Francisco, Paris, Berlin, Portland, Eugene, Rome, and Amsterdam. Believe me there are more men like me that do not feel comfortable in the 'gay' world, because of the expectations of militant 'gay' men.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#5 May 26, 2013
Chris wrote:
"Gaybros" is certainly not th first group like this. I joined a similar group called "BROS" back in 1995. I've been totally out for over 30 years and am "straight-acting", not because I'm pretending, but because I'm NOT pretending.

I have very long hair, tattoos, beard and stache, and have had those things since I was a teen and and before I was out. I listen to rock (ANTHRAX & MEGADETH, etc), and my major activites at gay bars over the years was drinking beer and shooting pool.

And I even had (and still have) straight friends I hung out with on a daily basis.

I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout, did a lot of hiking, camping fishing, water skiing, snow skiing, and a lot of other things not stereotypically gay. For decades, some of my many varied interests have been Ferroequinology, military hardware, military history, theology, politics, and plotting the total destruction of liberals and the Democratic Party (They are Evil. PURE EVIL).

I'm also a certified forklift operator and a former train operator for the New York City Transit Authority.

Now as far as the "stereotypically gay" person is concerned, as a former bartender at gay bar, I knew many people like that, and a host of drag queens as well, and I don't have a problem with fem gay guys, just as long as they're nice people.

But I'm certainly not "sterotypically gay" and in my 30+ years of being out, MOST gay guys I have met are not stereotypically gay.

What I take offense at is YOU telling the rest of us that we're not "gay enough" for you.

Well, let me tell you something Chris: "I knew Barry Manilow. Barry Manilow was a friend of mine. And Chris, you're no Barry Manilow !"

(funny:
) LOL

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6 May 27, 2013
Look. People are free to behave any way they wish.

The question is just how much of that behavior has anything to do with orientation.

The answer is remarkably little-to-none .... except in the minds of some people. Most sexrole behaviors are CULTURAL, and NOT INTRINSIC to one's humanity or orientation.

"masculine" and "feminine" are cultural norms.

A lot of work has been done on the phenomenon of the non-transgendered effeminate gay male. It suggests that it is a reaction to growing up in subcultures where sexrole behaviors are extremely polarized, and other behavioral role models are not available to the young gay kid. The gay boy chooses the kinder and more sensitive options. These choices do not determine orientation, just the behavioral manifestations of it. There really IS NO REASON that gay orientation requires any of the culturally-determined "effeminate" behaviors.

Gay kids who relocate away from those environments that reinforce the polarizations and stereotypes, and work through the liberation process usually drop those affectations. While they remain a part of the behavioral repertoire, and are frequently trotted out for humor's sake, they are no longer the song of Little-Johnny-One-Note. Despite history and some tradition, it is definitely not required music for anything.

Some are even naturally tone-deaf to such primitive distinctions. May their number increase.

This from someone who is definitely of the "GayBro" type, though I can camp it up with the best of them.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#7 May 27, 2013
snyper wrote:
Look. People are free to behave any way they wish.
The question is just how much of that behavior has anything to do with orientation.
The answer is remarkably little-to-none .... except in the minds of some people. Most sexrole behaviors are CULTURAL, and NOT INTRINSIC to one's humanity or orientation.
"masculine" and "feminine" are cultural norms.
A lot of work has been done on the phenomenon of the non-transgendered effeminate gay male. It suggests that it is a reaction to growing up in subcultures where sexrole behaviors are extremely polarized, and other behavioral role models are not available to the young gay kid. The gay boy chooses the kinder and more sensitive options. These choices do not determine orientation, just the behavioral manifestations of it. There really IS NO REASON that gay orientation requires any of the culturally-determined "effeminate" behaviors.
Gay kids who relocate away from those environments that reinforce the polarizations and stereotypes, and work through the liberation process usually drop those affectations. While they remain a part of the behavioral repertoire, and are frequently trotted out for humor's sake, they are no longer the song of Little-Johnny-One-Note. Despite history and some tradition, it is definitely not required music for anything.
Some are even naturally tone-deaf to such primitive distinctions. May their number increase.
This from someone who is definitely of the "GayBro" type, though I can camp it up with the best of them.
I can't "camp it up with the best of them". It's just not part of who I am, and I really don't understand that sort of thing at all.

And I detest many things that are "stereotypically gay" such as disco, Democrats, Broadway shows, Catholics, liberals, fashion, Bette Midler, and all that kind of crap.

Give me a beer, a Harley, a pool cue, and a good NFL game any day.

Location hidden

#8 May 27, 2013
You should have left it alone, "FaFoxy". That prior post was the best you've written.(the anti-liberal/Democrat crap aside, of course. lol)

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#9 May 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
"Gaybros" is certainly not th first group like this. I joined a similar group called "BROS" back in 1995. I've been totally out for over 30 years and am "straight-acting", not because I'm pretending, but because I'm NOT pretending.
I have very long hair, tattoos, beard and stache, and have had those things since I was a teen and and before I was out. I listen to rock (ANTHRAX & MEGADETH, etc), and my major activites at gay bars over the years was drinking beer and shooting pool.
And I even had (and still have) straight friends I hung out with on a daily basis.
I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout, did a lot of hiking, camping fishing, water skiing, snow skiing, and a lot of other things not stereotypically gay. For decades, some of my many varied interests have been Ferroequinology, military hardware, military history, theology, politics, and plotting the total destruction of liberals and the Democratic Party (They are Evil. PURE EVIL).
I'm also a certified forklift operator and a former train operator for the New York City Transit Authority.
Now as far as the "stereotypically gay" person is concerned, as a former bartender at gay bar, I knew many people like that, and a host of drag queens as well, and I don't have a problem with fem gay guys, just as long as they're nice people.
But I'm certainly not "sterotypically gay" and in my 30+ years of being out, MOST gay guys I have met are not stereotypically gay.
What I take offense at is YOU telling the rest of us that we're not "gay enough" for you.
Well, let me tell you something Chris: "I knew Barry Manilow. Barry Manilow was a friend of mine. And Chris, you're no Barry Manilow !"
(funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =tiNVqYwVfWEXX) LOL
You a stereotypical gay just how many times were you asked to turn in your gay card? So you knew Barry Manilow inquiring minds want to know was he a top or bottom? or just a cok sucker like your self

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#10 May 27, 2013
snyper wrote:
You should have left it alone, "FaFoxy". That prior post was the best you've written.(the anti-liberal/Democrat crap aside, of course. lol)
And cats ! LOTS of cats !

:)

Location hidden

#11 May 27, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
And cats ! LOTS of cats !
:)
Absolutely nothing wrong with cats.

The more the merrier.

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#12 May 27, 2013
Give me a break. The guys who think they're straight acting are the ones you can spot a mile away.
Pepper

Alexandria, VA

#14 May 27, 2013
McMike wrote:
Give me a break. The guys who think they're straight acting are the ones you can spot a mile away.
Hey McFagg@t, how many little boys have you molested this month alone????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 4 min Respect71 4,739
News Support for Caitlyn Jenner is loud, but compani... 6 min TransJenner 4
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 6 min Rose_NoHo 2,691
News UN Says Gays Are Victims of Violent Abuse All O... 11 min Fire Wall 9
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 20 min Pietro Armando 5,784
News New Jersey trial on gay conversion therapy set ... 21 min Fire Wall 10
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 21 min No Surprise 3,880
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 30 min lides 21,923
News Rick Santorum Will Fight The Supreme Court If I... 1 hr WeTheSheeple 113
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr EdmondWA 33,363
More from around the web