New Mexico High Court to Hear Gay Mar...

New Mexico High Court to Hear Gay Marriage Case

There are 8 comments on the EDGE story from Oct 18, 2013, titled New Mexico High Court to Hear Gay Marriage Case. In it, EDGE reports that:

Linda Siegle and her partner of 22 years were first in line when the Santa Fe County clerk started to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples in late August.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Oct 18, 2013
They're fighting Hawaii & Illinois for #15.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#2 Oct 18, 2013
Hawaii basically started all this 20 years ago. Remember ?
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#3 Oct 18, 2013
Yes, we did. And we're proud of that fact. If we'd waited for "activists" to finally take a step on this, my great-great-grandkids would still be in civil unions.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Oct 18, 2013
Sir Andrew wrote:
Yes, we did. And we're proud of that fact. If we'd waited for "activists" to finally take a step on this, my great-great-grandkids would still be in civil unions.
Unfortunately, after the courts in Hawaii ruled in our favor, your legislature passed a constitutional amendment denying equality to us.:( Remember THAT ?!

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#5 Oct 19, 2013
It will be interesting to see how the IRS handles this if the court waits until after Jan 1 to decide.

If a same sex couple has been married in one of the 6 counties and files taxes as a married couple, does the fed treat them as married? Essentially deciding for the court at that point.
What if there is a reversal by the court, how does that change the tax status?

These are conditions that cannot stand across the country. Seems that a nationwide decision will be coming sooner rather than later.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#6 Oct 19, 2013
Ron431 wrote:
It will be interesting to see how the IRS handles this if the court waits until after Jan 1 to decide.
If a same sex couple has been married in one of the 6 counties and files taxes as a married couple, does the fed treat them as married? Essentially deciding for the court at that point.
What if there is a reversal by the court, how does that change the tax status?
These are conditions that cannot stand across the country. Seems that a nationwide decision will be coming sooner rather than later.
I agree. And this is why I think our efforts now should be focused on the federal courts, and not spending all our time and resources in the other state courts.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Oct 19, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. And this is why I think our efforts now should be focused on the federal courts, and not spending all our time and resources in the other state courts.
We're winning on every front- federal court, state court, state legislatures, even at the ballot box.

The more states we get- however we get them- the more likely the SCOTUS takes the next case and ends this nonsense once and for all.

The NM court could decide next week, with Hawaii & Illinois legislatures voting as well.

It's a race to 20...

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#8 Oct 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
We're winning on every front- federal court, state court, state legislatures, even at the ballot box.
The more states we get- however we get them- the more likely the SCOTUS takes the next case and ends this nonsense once and for all.
The NM court could decide next week, with Hawaii & Illinois legislatures voting as well.
It's a race to 20...
I have to agree. Progress has been and will continue to be made through vigilance on all fronts. Each new state added improves equality and adds pressure on the others.

We should also not forget the source of our best support, the straight individual who suddenly realizes that he actually knows someone who is gay and they are actually normal, just like him. I have friends today who are ardent and vocal supporters even though they were not supportive when I came out.

Continue the fight on all levels.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr River Tam 56,124
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 hr cpeter1313 10,121
News 'Christian Militant' Hopes More Police Officers... 5 hr Rainbow Kid 9
News Free weddings for all same-sex couples: mayor's... 5 hr Rainbow Kid 11
News Cake fundraiser supports gay marriage as Suprem... 5 hr Rainbow Kid 3
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 6 hr neighbor 2,420
News Gay teen against same-sex marriage heckled at u... 7 hr Xstain Spot Remover 65
News Same-sex marriage protesters clash - exchange v... 9 hr Prisoner of my Mo... 4
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 10 hr EdmondWA 105
News Senate hopeful Roy Moore: gay sex is the 'same ... 16 hr EdmondWA 33
More from around the web