The 105th Archbishop of Canterbury to...

The 105th Archbishop of Canterbury to Be Enthroned Today

There are 41 comments on the dailykos.com story from Mar 21, 2013, titled The 105th Archbishop of Canterbury to Be Enthroned Today. In it, dailykos.com reports that:

The Most Rev'd and Rt. Hon. Justin Welby , The Lord Archbishop of Canterbury, will be formally enthroned as the 105th Archbishop of Canterbury and spiritual leader of the worldwide Anglican Communion at a ceremony at Canterbury Cathedral at 2:30 pm London time today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at dailykos.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#1 Mar 21, 2013
Good Luck...here and in Rome!
GiGGSY

UK

#2 Mar 21, 2013
I told him he would be famous one day when I was 5 years old.

He was too busy with his thumb up my bum and fondling my willy to listen.

Location hidden

#4 Mar 21, 2013
Yeah...that is why WE have SEPARATION of CHURCH and STATE. GO USA!
koo koo

London, UK

#5 Mar 21, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
But WE keep our money IN STATE have you heard how many BILLIONS of your TAX DOLLAR goes abroad in aid to PAKISTAN and ISRAEL but if you're an AMERICAN CHRISTIAN you get NOTHING. HAHAHA!!

Location hidden

#6 Mar 21, 2013
koo koo wrote:
<quoted text>
But WE keep our money IN STATE have you heard how many BILLIONS of your TAX DOLLAR goes abroad in aid to PAKISTAN and ISRAEL but if you're an AMERICAN CHRISTIAN you get NOTHING. HAHAHA!!
Still not over that 1776 thing are you? WE WON!
george

York, UK

#9 Mar 21, 2013
<quoted text>Still not over that 1776 thing are you? WE WON!
we won?

you dont look THAT old.
buju buju couscous ifudu

London, UK

#10 Mar 21, 2013
<quoted text>Still not over that 1776 thing are you? WE WON!
That's right I've been seething for over 200 years! While I live in a city that's over 3000 times wealthier than your entire state of Latinoville. LOL!
buju buju couscous ifudu

London, UK

#11 Mar 21, 2013
I meant 300 not 3000 times wealthier.
Listen to the Word

Kingman, AZ

#12 Mar 21, 2013
Welby is low-church? If his robes are low church, I would hate to see high church robes. I guess they would look like Jefferts-Schori's. She looks absolutely ridiculous in the picture in the article.

As far as England-United States is concerned. The Anglican church in England is ineptly moderate. The Episcopal Church in the United States is right down apostate. And...and Welby won't do a thing about it. Why? Ineptly moderate! Underline ineptly!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#13 Mar 21, 2013
Listen to the Word wrote:
Welby is low-church? If his robes are low church, I would hate to see high church robes. I guess they would look like Jefferts-Schori's. She looks absolutely ridiculous in the picture in the article.
As far as England-United States is concerned. The Anglican church in England is ineptly moderate. The Episcopal Church in the United States is right down apostate. And...and Welby won't do a thing about it. Why? Ineptly moderate! Underline ineptly!
Oh, Baloney!
rio

Bromley, UK

#14 Mar 21, 2013
Is that why the US are completely dominated by religions then?

Separation, my foot ...

Non-religious people are regarded with suspicion.

Location hidden

#15 Mar 21, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Separation, my foot ...
We are dominated by religions because the vast majority of our citizens believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and John, The Baptist and Christ Jesus.

Also, we do tolerate the religious beliefs of those who do not believe the same as we do. But, that tolerance does not mean that we have to be silent about our objections. Neither does it mean that we are required to tolerate lawlessness or alternative Law just because a religious group declares its right to ignore our Civil Law.

Freedom of Speech is another of the Five Rights.

Rev. Ken
klaudia from Poland

London, UK

#16 Mar 21, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Separation, my foot ...
The USA has a minority of very well read, pensive, spiritual, tolerant Christians and humanists but are outnumbered by loud mouthed bigoted zealots in bizarre fanatic protestant churches.
rio

Bromley, UK

#17 Mar 21, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
We are dominated by religions because the vast majority of our citizens believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and John, The Baptist and Christ Jesus.
Also, we do tolerate the religious beliefs of those who do not believe the same as we do. But, that tolerance does not mean that we have to be silent about our objections. Neither does it mean that we are required to tolerate lawlessness or alternative Law just because a religious group declares its right to ignore our Civil Law.
Freedom of Speech is another of the Five Rights.
Rev. Ken
This is why the claim that there is separation of Church and state in the USA is ridiculous.

Just tell us the chance of a confessed atheist to be elected in the US?
Do you have any example of Atheist senators, representatives, governors?

Location hidden

#18 Mar 21, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why the claim that there is separation of Church and state in the USA is ridiculous.
Just tell us the chance of a confessed atheist to be elected in the US?
Do you have any example of Atheist senators, representatives, governors?
Our Declaration of Independence reads, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator ..." That about says it all.
Our currency bears the saying, "In God We Trust." That about says it all.
The Ten Commandments are sculpted into the stone exterior of the Courthouse of The Supreme Court of the United States. That about says it all.
Our children in public schools recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, which includes, "One nation, under God,..." That about says it all.
At the Federal level, each session of the House of Representatives and at the State level, each session of the Legislature is opened with prayer for guidance. That about says it all.

Some 80%+ of Americans consider themselves to be Believers in a Divine Power and Conscious Guidance greater than the individual self or at least, inextricably linked to Infinitely Conscious Spirit.

Freedom of Religion is not intended to be freedom "from" religion, though the State does not attempt to forcibly require you to believe.

Just the same, you can run for public office as an atheist. Nothing says you cannot. But, to win and hold the post as a civil servant, you have to get a majority of the voters who choose to cast the ballots to vote for you.

It is your choice and your choice alone to openly define yourself as an atheist. That is a Freedom granted in this social state. Be glad of it. Many other places in this wide world would not be nearly so tolerant of your views and confessions.

Atheism: The personal denial of any link to or separation from unlimited consciousness. THAT is the only truly ridiculous claim.

Rev. Ken

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#19 Mar 22, 2013
Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions. The ancient world was rife with tales of virgin births, miracle-working saviors, tripartite gods, gods taking human form, gods arising from the dead, heavens and hells, and days of judgment. In addition to the myths, many of the ceremonies of ancient religions also match those of that syncretic latecomer, Christianity. To cite but one example (there are many others), consider Mithraism, a Persian religion predating Christianity by centuries. Mithra, the savior of the Mithraic religion and a god who took human form, was born of a virgin; he belonged to the holy trinity and was a link between heaven and Earth; and he ascended into heaven after his death. His followers believed in heaven and hell, looked forward to a day of judgment, and referred to Mithra as "the Light of the World." They also practiced baptism (for purification purposes) and ritual cannibalism—the eating of bread and the drinking of wine to symbolize the eating and drinking of the god’s body and blood. Given all this, Mithra’s birthday should come as no surprise: December 25th; this event was, of course, celebrated by Mithra’s followers at midnight.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#20 Mar 22, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Our Declaration of Independence reads, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator ..." That about says it all.
The Ten Commandments are sculpted into the stone exterior of the Courthouse of The Supreme Court of the United States. That about says it all.
Our children in public schools recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, which includes, "One nation, under God,..." That about says it all.
At the Federal level, each session of the House of Representatives and at the State level, each session of the Legislature is opened with prayer for guidance. That about says it all.
Some 80%+ of Americans consider themselves to be Believers in a Divine Power and Conscious Guidance greater than the individual self or at least, inextricably linked to Infinitely Conscious Spirit.
Freedom of Religion is not intended to be freedom "from" religion, though the State does not attempt to forcibly require you to believe.
Just the same, you can run for public office as an atheist. Nothing says you cannot. But, to win and hold the post as a civil servant, you have to get a majority of the voters who choose to cast the ballots to vote for you.
It is your choice and your choice alone to openly define yourself as an atheist. That is a Freedom granted in this social state. Be glad of it. Many other places in this wide world would not be nearly so tolerant of your views and confessions.
Atheism: The personal denial of any link to or separation from unlimited consciousness. THAT is the only truly ridiculous claim.
Rev. Ken
The infinitely conscious spirit?

What is that, scientology?

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#21 Mar 22, 2013
Great Britain doesn't have separation of church and state and they cannot, as the reigning monarch is also the head of the Church Of England.

TEC has always bene far too Catholic-like for my Lutheran tatses.
low rider

London, UK

#22 Mar 22, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
Great Britain doesn't have separation of church and state and they cannot, as the reigning monarch is also the head of the Church Of England.
TEC has always bene far too Catholic-like for my Lutheran tatses.
The church of England is little more than a social club for the elderly these days and ceremonial for baptisms and weddings.
rio

UK

#23 Mar 22, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rev. Ken
Thank you for exposing the limits of freedom of expression in the USA.

No offense, but I think we do better in Europe.

Here you don't need to reveal your beliefs to be elected, or you lack of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Boy Scouts suffer a setback in Supreme Court ov... (Oct '06) 1 hr RecoveringRacist 322
News Richard Page, from Headcorn, loses case after b... 3 hr Abrahammock Relig... 1
News Oregon city council sorry after member says he'... 3 hr Abrahammock Relig... 3
News The gaydar machine: a backlash 3 hr Abrahammock Relig... 7
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 4 hr old_moose 13,219
Transgender "woman" convicted of raping 10-year... 4 hr Travis Turbil 3
News Australians embarrassed to be shown up by NZ on... 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 3
More from around the web