Mexican Activists Protest Russian Antigay Policies

Jul 20, 2013 Full story: Advocate

LGBT activists in Mexico City rallied on Friday outside the city's Russian embassy to protest the country's ban on "homosexual propaganda," which was signed into law by President Vladimir Putin last month , reports LGBTQ Nation .

Full Story
Sirius

Querétaro, Mexico

#1 Jul 20, 2013
Led by activist Alonso Hernández Victoria, approximately 30 people protested in Mexico's capital city chanting slogans like, "If Lenin were alive, he'd be walking in high heels," and "Look and see, Putin is also a fag," according to LGBTQ Nation. Photos from Facebook also show the activists wearing shirts listing check-boxes for various identities: Gay, lesbian, bisexual, hetero, trans, with the final box checked, reading "human."

Victoria also delivered a petition to the Mexican ambassador to Russia demanding the "immediate cessation of repression which violates the basic human rights of Russian citizens and undermines the development of a prosperous, inclusive and respectful nation," according to reports. Additionally, LGBTQ Nation notes that advocates plan to ask the Mexican government to issue a statement in solidarity with the international LGBT community and in opposition to the antigay laws enacted in Russia, which impose fines for any individual, official, or media outlet that "promotes non-traditional sexual relations."
Guess that if they do not break the law, they have all the right to express themselves. Although it will be surprising for some not to see them "attacked by the primitive mob of the land of machismo".

Regards.
Eduardo

Mexico

#3 Jul 20, 2013
"If Lenin were alive, he'd be walking in high heels"

I don't know why, but that sounds hilarious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why (R1) Righteous One is a POS (Dec '12) 9 min Cletus 75
The Thursday Morning NE Jade Thread 11 min Cletus 1
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 2 hr Static Charge 26,601
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr Cowobunga 201,150
Jindal defends January prayer rally at LSU campus 3 hr Hooogle It 5
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 4 hr Phyllis Schlafly ... 2,791
Op-ed: My Lesbian Moms Saved My Life 4 hr Phyllis Schlafly ... 3
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 hr KiMerde 5,267
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 6 hr Mikey 4,941
More from around the web