Activists In Dallas Fed Up With The C...

Activists In Dallas Fed Up With The Corporatization Of Pride

There are 15 comments on the EDGE story from Jun 29, 2014, titled Activists In Dallas Fed Up With The Corporatization Of Pride. In it, EDGE reports that:

On June 28, a nod to the 45th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, gay activists are planning a celebration of their own, a political march, QueerBomb Dallas, in response to the Pride Parade they say has become sanitized and corporatized.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Jun 29, 2014
I agree
Acting like Texas religious homophobes is humiliating and degrading
We're better than that
WAY better!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-54_DrYDb1b4/TjwBKaj...

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#2 Jun 29, 2014
"We are different just by our very birth, by our very experiences in this life, being marginalized people. Our world view is different, our lives are different, and there’s nothing wrong with that and we should be celebrating that rather than trying to show the world how just like them we are," Cates said.

Agreed!
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#3 Jun 29, 2014
What? No pasties? No fetish groups? No 'tight boy shorts?'
Everything pride has been washed away?

Now I'm beginning to understand what the 'pride' is. No wonder I could never see the pride in these parades before. I didn't realize that 'pride' in the gay dictionary has a totally different meaning than 'pride' in Webster's.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4 Jun 29, 2014
TomInElPaso wrote:
"We are different just by our very birth, by our very experiences in this life, being marginalized people. Our world view is different, our lives are different, and there’s nothing wrong with that and we should be celebrating that rather than trying to show the world how just like them we are," Cates said.
Agreed!
But you spend every day trying to be "just like them." You don't want your world or life to be different. You want to be equal in every possible way.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#5 Jun 29, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
But you spend every day trying to be "just like them." You don't want your world or life to be different. You want to be equal in every possible way.
One of the things I always liked about gay people is how they are different. The gays I know are funny and don't take life too seriously, many are outrageous and I like that.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Jun 29, 2014
Wondering wrote:
Now I'm beginning to understand what the 'pride' is. No wonder I could never see the pride in these parades before. I didn't realize that 'pride' in the gay dictionary has a totally different meaning than 'pride' in Webster's.
Bwaaaaahahahha! You fell for it
Webster's is a GAY CONSPIRACY to put homophobes in the mind of fairies
Are you dizzy yet?

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

El Paso, TX

#7 Jun 29, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, I'd sincerely hate to see how you have decorated your house, or designed your landscape or dozens of other things. It's not unusual for me to see people standing on the curb looking at the plantings or even walking the flagstone walkways in my front yard. Yours the neighbors use for their doggie toilet. New house guests can't resist asking for a tour of the place.

How many married couples have commented they wish they had as good a relationship as you and your spouse? Zero I'd wager. Gays know how to live very well and very Gay, we don't need your help.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#8 Jun 29, 2014
The story fails to mention why Dallas Pride is traditionally held in the fall. It's because many years ago, the Texas sodomy law was challenged and temporarily struck down one September. Accordingly, Dallas moved its Pride celebration to that month.

Later, the sodomy law was re-instated, but the community in Dallas decided the weather in September was more "comfortable" than in June and declined to move the parade back to the Stonewall anniversary in June.

In recent years, Fort Worth decided that if Dallas was celebrating Pride in September, they might as well move their event to October. I stopped participating in both parades years ago, because I felt they had become virtually meaningless.
Homostats

Las Vegas, NV

#9 Jun 29, 2014
"Activists In Dallas Fed Up With The Corporatization Of Pride"

Yes, public displays of debauchery and sexual inuendo should not be corporatized.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#10 Jun 29, 2014
Dallas/Fort Worth could use a bomb, but I think perhaps the variety should be "nuclear", not "queer."
Evilgelicalling

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Jun 29, 2014
Wondering wrote:
Great apologies to the homosexually fixated.

I'm sure there's a little bit of everything at these marches, even the non corporate one: Politicians, religious groups, bar sponsored floats with the speedo denizens, lgbt parents, 12 Step groups.

But we know you only go for the leather folks.
Evilgelicalling

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Jun 29, 2014
What's striking about this move in Dallas against over corporatization of Pride is that this happened a decade and starting about a half ago in the major cities like NY, Chicago, Boston, LA. It's old news...whether the issue has been or ever will be settled in those places.
Belle Sexton

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Jun 30, 2014
I agree with the exclusion of "fetish groups", but drag queens are the core of the celebration.

We're in a war here. NO means to win hearts and minds may be overlooked.

This group is ill-advised, politically inept or worse ... CoIntelPro'd by our opposition.
GOD

Santa Cruz, CA

#14 Jun 30, 2014
JohnInToronto wrote:
Dallas/Fort Worth could use a bomb, but I think perhaps the variety should be "nuclear", not "queer."
Is there not one good person left in those cities?

Toronto, ON, Canada

#15 Jun 30, 2014
GOD wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there not one good person left in those cities?
We could probably save the gays and the poor people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay Couple and Their 3 Kids Denied 'Family Boar... 4 min Buford 4
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 7 min Frankie Rizzo 5,989
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 7 min cpeter1313 49,251
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 10 min Eagle 12 437
News South Korean military convicts soldier for havi... 15 min Rossum 1
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 28 min Frankie Rizzo 25,620
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 35 min June VanDerMark 13,557
News Middle School Gay-Straight Alliance Allowed To ... 10 hr The Wheeze of Trump 32
More from around the web