A marriage is ...

A marriage is ...

There are 251 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 17, 2009, titled A marriage is .... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Stacy Creswell, left, her husband John, and their three daughters live in Bucktown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
gpudlo

Lake In The Hills, IL

#1 Mar 18, 2009
Gay marriage is a civil right. No matter how you put it, if you try and say gays can have all the same benefits as marriage but we'll call it something else, a "civil union", lets not forget that this country has been through this before. Separate is seldom, if ever, equal.There are over 1,130 federal rights that heterosexual couples receive that gays cannot. That is just plan unfair. And please, before you give me some Christian fundamental explanation of why the Bible denounces homosexuality, if we were all going to follow the scripture with literal accuracy then: according to Leviticus, slavery should be allowed, people who commit adultery or who get tattoos should be punished, and children who disobey their parents should be put to death.
Uncle T

Arlington Heights, IL

#2 Mar 18, 2009
Why is the government involved in this? Why do we subsidize any kind of marriage through our tax laws? Doesn't this penalize single people? If two people want to be blessed by a church of their choice, and that church says they're married, then they're married. If any two people, gay or straight, want to commit to each other and want to ensure that their legal rights are respected, they should be able to do this easily, via a will or similar legal document. Why do so many people think this is a big deal?
JoeSchmoe

Chicago, IL

#3 Mar 18, 2009
I find it sad that people still think that allowing gay couples to marry, will somehow open the door to a poligimast "asking about me." I personally think the state should be out of the marriage business and grant civil unions to all who want to tie the knot and keep the work marriage for the church - thereby allowing those good christian couples to opportunity to marry and then the option to have the church void (annull) it as if if never happened - in the eyes of God, thereby allowing them to get married again, anulled again, etc........meanwhile, those married under the civil union law would still have the legal benefits and protrections in the eyes of the state.
Oh Please

United States

#4 Mar 18, 2009
Yawn.
beatrice

Lake Forest, IL

#5 Mar 18, 2009
it breaks my heart that same-sex couples can't get married. I hope someday this country gets it's head out of it's a** and finally realizes that EVERY CITIZEN has the right to civil marriage.
Dan

Chicago, IL

#6 Mar 18, 2009
The Neubeckers placed more of their relationship on love and family not their careers. All people are created equal and we should be able to live our lives the WAY WE want too, No one should intrude in anyone's love, not the government, not religion and not your next door neighbor.
Love is hard enough to find let alone having people stand in your way of not accepting who you love.
Millie

Chicago, IL

#7 Mar 18, 2009
Oh Please wrote:
Yawn.
Wasted space for your yawn....Why bother. Go get a life and fall in love with someone. If you know what love is?
James Cappleman

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 18, 2009
I personally know David and Lee. Obviously they're just like any other couple I know, but they happen to be gay.

I would like to see civil unions for everyone, and if they wish to call it "marriage", have a ceremony done in their place of worship. That way, all the people who consider marriage a religious act that forbids same-sex union could still have their opposite sex marriage. For that matter, it would allow places of worship that embrace same-sex unions to have their marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples. Both would be allowed to have their religious freedoms respected.

This overt discrimination, in the words of Mayor Daley, is just silly silly silly.
Joe

Chicago, IL

#10 Mar 18, 2009
Uncle T brings up an interesting point regarding tax benefits for married couples.

Makes me wonder if perhaps the government's real concern lies not in a faith value of right or wrong but in greed?

If gay couples were allowed to marry (and I think they should be), how would the additional tax benefits affect the nation's bottom line?
WTF

United States

#11 Mar 18, 2009
My only concern is what will be told to kids in school? Acceptence is great but for some reason the message always gets muddled into something other than that. Do you think it will be all things equal or if you don't believe or try then your bad?
Human rights

Chicago, IL

#12 Mar 18, 2009
MandM wrote:
A marriage is...created by the Originator of said subject and in His Subjective and Absolute eyes is exclusively between one man and one woman to reflect the relationship of Jesus Christ and His church. Anything else is a distortion and a fraud.
That is your misinterpretation. How many other ways do you misinterprete the bible to justify your personal beliefs? Besdies, we are not asking every church to agree with anyone's personal moral beliefs, we are just asking the government to believe all people are equal and deserve equal rights. I'm pretty sure that gets right down to seperation of church and state... I am choosing to marry someone of the opposite sex and I 100% believe everyone should have the choice. It doesn't hurt you, it doesn't affect your life.
Bill

Iowa City, IA

#14 Mar 18, 2009
I suggest we return to the 2 ceremony thing - one for the state (usually held in the clerk's office) and one for YOUR religion. If your religion chooses to reject gay people, that's cool, you have the right to believe what you want. The government, however, should be open to all.
Carrml

Chicago, IL

#15 Mar 18, 2009
To oppose gay marriage on the grounds that the institution will be weakened -- opening the door for polygamist and underage marriages -- is a specious argument at best.

One does not necessarily follow the other, and statutory language can be managed to let state-sanctioned marriages include same-sex unions without also including dual species unions.

For instance, the "definition" of marriage as a union between one man and one woman does not say anything about brother and sister marrying, but we have laws on the books that prevent that.

Although opponents, such as Mrs. Creswell, won't cop to it, their position is merely another form of intolerance. They don't approve of homosexuality and seem to feel that inclusion would amount to endorsement. History will show them to be on the wrong side of this issue. The only fair and just solution is liberty for all.

“Adam and Steve”

Since: Aug 08

Earth

#16 Mar 18, 2009
MandM wrote:
A marriage is...created by the Originator of said subject and in His Subjective and Absolute eyes is exclusively between one man and one woman to reflect the relationship of Jesus Christ and His church. Anything else is a distortion and a fraud.
Do you think atheists should be allowed to marry? They certainly would not "reflect the relationship of Jesus Christ and His church."

This is just another reason why marriage should be the domaine of religious institutions.

Civil Unions for all (legal, secular); marriage for those who can and want to 'sanctify' their Union .

Time to redefine the word 'marriage.' I think that's what its going to come to in the future.
equalnomatterwha t

Orland Park, IL

#18 Mar 18, 2009
MandM-

Your response amuses me...
Only because you sound like you were reading that from a text book named "read this whenever the idea of gay marriage comes up."

I am in biblical studies right now, and we recently just had a discussion about gay marriage in my Apostles class. The bottom line is, if you follow a bible that is a modern day published bible, you basically get WHAT OUR SOCIETY has put into words. We as a society have manipulated the true meaning of Jesus Christ and the word of God. Learn some hebrew, latin, arabic and read a bible older than most of the people on this earth right now. You will be pretty discourage at what your bible has to say today.

As for gay marriage....
Its not a political issue, its not a religious issue, its a HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE. We will have gay marriage. We will have equal rights. We will not ruin marriage, due to the fact that it was ruined a long time ago. End of story, fight this all you want but it will happen.

Jesus Christ did not believe in the segregation of Gods children.
MandM

Montgomery, AL

#19 Mar 18, 2009
Human rights wrote:
<quoted text>
That is your misinterpretation. How many other ways do you misinterprete the bible to justify your personal beliefs? Besdies, we are not asking every church to agree with anyone's personal moral beliefs, we are just asking the government to believe all people are equal and deserve equal rights. I'm pretty sure that gets right down to seperation of church and state... I am choosing to marry someone of the opposite sex and I 100% believe everyone should have the choice. It doesn't hurt you, it doesn't affect your life.
"That is your misinterpretation"
How do you know?
David Oak Park

Gurnee, IL

#20 Mar 18, 2009
While John and Stacy sound like fairly decent people, this article is grossly misleading in that John and Stacy are not typical of the Christianists who oppose LGBT marriage. The prevailing Christianist opinion, if media accounts are accurate, is far less civil and accomodating. To suggest by including them that John and Stacy are typical of Christianists who oppose same sex marriage is sloppy journalism. Beyond that, as a gay man, I deeply resent the legal and financial discrimination I face with my partner. While I think the resistance to same sex marriage is rationally unsupportable, what I centrally want is legal and financial parity with straight people. If I get that, I'm really don't care if my relationship is called a civil union, marriage, or a pepperoni pizza. I want the same rights and benefits. Period.
MandM

Montgomery, AL

#21 Mar 18, 2009
Edio wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think atheists should be allowed to marry? They certainly would not "reflect the relationship of Jesus Christ and His church."
This is just another reason why marriage should be the domaine of religious institutions.
Civil Unions for all (legal, secular); marriage for those who can and want to 'sanctify' their Union .
Time to redefine the word 'marriage.' I think that's what its going to come to in the future.
You mean change what the Creator has subjectively designed marriage to be so that we, as a fallen creation, can determine what we want for it to be?
Even though our govt is already in the process of rejecting God's absolutes, I think that there's still much more debauchery to come. Pray for our nation's morality.
gpudlo

Lake In The Hills, IL

#22 Mar 18, 2009
MandM wrote:
<quoted text>
"That is your misinterpretation"
How do you know?
Everyone knows it's your misinterpretation. You're a nut.
MandM

Montgomery, AL

#23 Mar 18, 2009
equalnomatterwhat wrote:
MandM-
Your response amuses me...
Only because you sound like you were reading that from a text book named "read this whenever the idea of gay marriage comes up."
I am in biblical studies right now, and we recently just had a discussion about gay marriage in my Apostles class. The bottom line is, if you follow a bible that is a modern day published bible, you basically get WHAT OUR SOCIETY has put into words. We as a society have manipulated the true meaning of Jesus Christ and the word of God. Learn some hebrew, latin, arabic and read a bible older than most of the people on this earth right now. You will be pretty discourage at what your bible has to say today.
As for gay marriage....
Its not a political issue, its not a religious issue, its a HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE. We will have gay marriage. We will have equal rights. We will not ruin marriage, due to the fact that it was ruined a long time ago. End of story, fight this all you want but it will happen.
Jesus Christ did not believe in the segregation of Gods children.

Are you an emergent? You sound very social gospelish.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man Beat 2 Transgender Women Who Tried to Enter... 5 hr Truth 25
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 5 hr Truth 25,202
News First openly gay Texas A&M student president ho... 6 hr Truth 2
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 hr Truth 46,217
News Americans oppose bathroom laws limiting transge... 6 hr YouDidntBuildThat 229
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 7 hr June VanDerMark 13,251
News Malaysia Clears Release of 'Beauty and the Beas... 8 hr NE Jade 11
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 11 hr pearl 5,376
More from around the web