A Hypocritical Silence On Gay Immigra...

A Hypocritical Silence On Gay Immigrants' Rights

There are 54 comments on the techcrunch.com story from May 23, 2013, titled A Hypocritical Silence On Gay Immigrants' Rights. In it, techcrunch.com reports that:

The biggest names in technology have normally been unflinching champions for the rights of same-sex couples. Yet, they were conspicuously silent this week as the Senate rejected the right for American same-sex couples to petition for visas for their foreign-born partners.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at techcrunch.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
El Cid

Austin, TX

#43 May 24, 2013
Illegal aliens have no right to stay even the homosexual ones who marry a citizen.
They need to go home and apply to come here legally then they will be welcome.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#45 May 24, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
I stated an opinion that was different than your own, in a respectful manner, to another person and you decided to jump in and make it a personal attack.
You're probably going to get your way. I won't support it. The end.
Your approach to a difference in opinion is no different than the talibangelicals and no more worthy of respect.
Go snipe at somebody else.
I attack ideas, youngster, and yours smelled of the same fanaticism as the stench I get downwind from a teabag meeting.

DOMA precludes any recognition of samesex relationship. Temporary Executive Orders aside, Congress is not going to tie up the immigration bill with something it has already declared illegal.

DOMA falls, you get your aspect of immigration policy along with it.

"In-your-face tactics only impress those who already agree with you." - MLK

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#46 May 24, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
And I responded by explaining why: I saw the action of knowingly obstruction good legislation as the equivalent of the Tea Party's actions on the other side. But you are just determined to turn this into a personal attack on you, responding with snide remarks because someone disagrees with you.
Once again: I did not direct my Tea Party comparison at you. I did not say YOU have not contributed (I don't even know you!) So there was no "audacity" there, nor am I in a "snit". To my knowledge, this is my first response to your comment about you and your partner's contribution. Good for you! I'm happy for you and salute you! I have nothing bad to say about that. I was talking about myself, defending my position.
It's not all about YOU! Now I will consider this conversation over, and do not want to hear any more snide remarks from you. Good lord, man, get over yourself. We are on the same side!
Just because we are on the same side doesn't mean we are going to agree on everything and how we handle those disagreements matters.

You say I was making snide remarks. I say you were being arrogant and condescending. It's probably good enough just to leave it at that and assume that we got off on the wrong foot.

Including protections for same sex couples is the right thing to do and I have a feeling you know that.

Excluding those protections without so much as a fight just because the religious right demanded it is one compromise too many for me and I think it's a compromise the left has made one too many times over the years on a variety of issues.

I won't support this legislation unless it includes protections against this type of discrimination and I will not vote for any politician that does support it in future elections.

I am not willing to compromise the equality of other people simply to achieve a goal that I may otherwise support.

It is what I consider to be a principled position that you are free to disagree with.

Location hidden

#47 May 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I attack ideas, youngster, and yours smelled of the same fanaticism as the stench I get downwind from a teabag meeting.
DOMA precludes any recognition of samesex relationship. Temporary Executive Orders aside, Congress is not going to tie up the immigration bill with something it has already declared illegal.
DOMA falls, you get your aspect of immigration policy along with it.
"In-your-face tactics only impress those who already agree with you." - MLK
Youngster? Is that supposed to be an insult or just a way of demeaning my position.

"Respect your elders" and all that?

Got news for ya. I'm older than you think and much less impressed with your own "in your face" tactics than you probably want me to be.

You want to roll over and tinkle on yourself just because the religious right said "boo" go right ahead, but there are plenty of us that don't feel that way.

I don't believe including protections would have killed the bill, but we may never know now because our leadership, and old hysterical stereotypes such a yourself, were too cowardly to even try.

I didn't attack you. I simply disagreed with your position and you just couldn't tolerate that.

The only difference between you calling me a teabagger (or going on about your assumption that I'm too young to know what I'm talking about) and that right wing hag from KY calling me a "queer boi" is that you should know better.

Location hidden

#48 May 24, 2013
El Cid wrote:
Illegal aliens have no right to stay even the homosexual ones who marry a citizen.
They need to go home and apply to come here legally then they will be welcome.
This isn't just about "illegal aliens".

Right now if an American citizen marries a foreign national, that marriage is respected by our laws and the spouse can apply to stay...unless we're talking about a same sex couple.

Whether they were legally married overseas, or if the foreign national was in this country legally at the time they were married, under current law that couple will forced to separate when a heterosexual couple under the exact same circumstances would be allowed to stay together.

If we are going to reform our immigration laws we should at least make an effort to remove that kind of discrimination.

Location hidden

#49 May 24, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Youngster? Is that supposed to be an insult or just a way of demeaning my position.
"Respect your elders" and all that?
Got news for ya. I'm older than you think and much less impressed with your own "in your face" tactics than you probably want me to be.
You want to roll over and tinkle on yourself just because the religious right said "boo" go right ahead, but there are plenty of us that don't feel that way.
I don't believe including protections would have killed the bill, but we may never know now because our leadership, and old hysterical stereotypes such a yourself, were too cowardly to even try.
I didn't attack you. I simply disagreed with your position and you just couldn't tolerate that.
The only difference between you calling me a teabagger (or going on about your assumption that I'm too young to know what I'm talking about) and that right wing hag from KY calling me a "queer boi" is that you should know better.
Operant Fallacy: Straw Man

You threatened to interfere with the re-election efforts of Representatives, and the team building efforts of a President, who have been helping us ... all for one issue .... and one that will rendered moot in a few weeks.

Another smelly teabagger quality: shortsightedness

Location hidden

#50 May 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Operant Fallacy: Straw Man
You threatened to interfere with the re-election efforts of Representatives, and the team building efforts of a President, who have been helping us ... all for one issue .... and one that will rendered moot in a few weeks.
Another smelly teabagger quality: shortsightedness
I said that I would exercise my constitutional right to choose who I would vote for and who I would support based on my own criteria.

You have a problem with that?

The more you post, the more you sound like an intolerant extremist.

Location hidden

#51 May 24, 2013
Now you're just trolling.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#52 May 25, 2013
The "Hypocritical Silence On Gay Immigrants" is comming from the Democratic Party. Republicans are loudly affirming our law: DOMA. They are also prosecuting same sex marriage supporters in the IRS who harass and leak confidential information of conservatives.

“Universal Conscious Conscience”

Since: Feb 08

Planet Earth

#54 May 25, 2013
It's all about the ability to choose people and everyone ability to choose should be protected equally by governments of the world.

Let people choose their own destiny and stop trying to make choices for other people! This is why we have so many problems with the government and citizens.

They want to make choices for people in some situations and not make choices for people in other situations. This is called a contradictory government and people and this is why this world is so crazy right now!

People, make your own choices and let other people do the same and the only thing we should be upholding and arguing about is making sure that the governments of the world is protecting humanity ability to choose!

If you are for protecting people ability to choose on the universal scale then sign my petition electronically at the white house to stop the madness of people and governments trying to make choices for humanity!

“ Protecting We the People of The United States of America Ability To Choose as absolute freedom on a Universal & Global scale by the review and the passing of a new law by the U.S. government through the Environmental Protection Agency under Ecology! This will ensure and protect each and every individual’s ability to choose as absolute freedom, so his/her decision making can lead to their own success and happiness without the influence of physical or coercive forces created by man-made governments or individuals.”

>>>> http://wh.gov/Sexd

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#55 May 25, 2013
Talk about hypocrites! Vice President Biden voted to enact DOMA into law when he was in the Senate and in 2008, both he and Obama ran on the platform that marriage is one man and one woman.

That was before being elected head of the IRS and the rest of the executive branch. Now, they can intimidate voters who disagree with their policies.

Location hidden

#59 May 26, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Gross.
Reported.

Location hidden

#60 May 26, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Reported.
You may already know, but there's a registered account under the name Le Jimbo.

http://www.topix.com/member/profile/lejimbo

I haven't had much contact with him/her (?) but the comments are usually extreme right and offensive.

Don't know if it's the same person or just somebody spoofing the name.

I don't know what they get out of doing this kind of thing.
Orem

Raleigh, NC

#61 May 26, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Reported.
REPORTED

WHoop WHoop

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 6 min neighbor 2,424
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 8 min cpeter1313 56,148
News US Senate contender has history of provocative ... 34 min Sloan 6
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 41 min Sloan 19
News Movie's Ads Protest Rules Aimed at Gay Men Dona... 42 min Truth Hurts 6
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 44 min Just Think 182
News Gay teen against same-sex marriage heckled at u... 53 min Wondering 59
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 hr old_moose 10,235
News Cake fundraiser supports gay marriage as Suprem... 2 hr Wondering 31
News Senate hopeful Roy Moore: gay sex is the 'same ... 23 hr Chilli J 31
More from around the web