Christian Legal Group Complains About...

Christian Legal Group Complains About Assignment

There are 12 comments on the EDGE story from Jun 23, 2013, titled Christian Legal Group Complains About Assignment. In it, EDGE reports that:

According to The Daily Herald a Christian legal group sent the college a letter about Professor Linda Brunton's psychology class assignment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#1 Jun 23, 2013
...and now the wacky Christians think they can dictate homework assignments? Is there any end to their hubris?

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#2 Jun 23, 2013
God and the Constitution gives us the right not to do assigned class work, if said work would put us in the position of being the one of offending our own choice of religious beliefs? We have the religious right to not learn from experience. Damn it, we have every right not to learn ANYTHING about the subject we have paid to study, God says you shouldn't make us.
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#3 Jun 23, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
God and the Constitution gives us the right not to do assigned class work, if said work would put us in the position of being the one of offending our own choice of religious beliefs? We have the religious right to not learn from experience. Damn it, we have every right not to learn ANYTHING about the subject we have paid to study, God says you shouldn't make us.
lol

People that hear god talking to them belong in mental institutions.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#4 Jun 23, 2013
I was just reading about this on Politix.

I think her intentions were good.

IMO those students who objected based on their religious views, should have been able to write about the discrimination they experience because of their beliefs.

However it appears the assignment was voluntary so I can't see how they were harmed.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#5 Jun 23, 2013
The Daily Herald wrote:
"Students were allowed to opt out, and some did," Sanders said. "And students were told that if they felt uncomfortable, they could take off the ribbons."
If the assignment had been mandatory, this religious group would have a legitimate complaint, but since it wasn't, they don't have a leg to stand on. This is just another case of self-centered religious nuts objecting to something they see as a mere political issue while ignoring the very real psychological impact that their bigotry has on LGBT people.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#6 Jun 23, 2013
DNF wrote:
I was just reading about this on Politix.
I think her intentions were good.
IMO those students who objected based on their religious views, should have been able to write about the discrimination they experience because of their beliefs.
However it appears the assignment was voluntary so I can't see how they were harmed.
A fairer assignment would be to have them each take on a position that they would otherwise not agree with. If the idea was to experience potential discrimination faced by those that support a given position, that experience should be new to all of them. Those who have already experienced such potential discrimination need to think of another issue, or take on the side they disagree with. The instructor tried to go one size fits all and of course good Christians are usually the first to b*tch about their fit. Probably an intro to Psych class with few potential majors in the room.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#7 Jun 23, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>A fairer assignment would be to have them each take on a position that they would otherwise not agree with. If the idea was to experience potential discrimination faced by those that support a given position, that experience should be new to all of them. Those who have already experienced such potential discrimination need to think of another issue, or take on the side they disagree with. The instructor tried to go one size fits all and of course good Christians are usually the first to b*tch about their fit. Probably an intro to Psych class with few potential majors in the room.
Your suggestion is much better than mine. Thanks.

These students missed a good opportunity to think outside of their comfort zones.

P.S. Like the one size fits all/good Christians bitching about the fit analogy. And yet they want everyone else to fit into their measurements.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#8 Jun 23, 2013
DNF wrote:
I was just reading about this on Politix.
I think her intentions were good.
IMO those students who objected based on their religious views, should have been able to write about the discrimination they experience because of their beliefs.
However it appears the assignment was voluntary so I can't see how they were harmed.
They must have an over-inflated notion of the actual effect of wearing buttons and talking to people on the street.

My guess is that these people also wouldn't learn to argue the other side in a Debate class, nor learn to do opposition prep position papers in PoliSci.(Gads! That was a lot of "P"s)

They are simply very narcissistically rejecting any training in empathy.

What we are seeing here is the early fruits of the Oral Roberts/Regent University Law programs as part of the Christian Reconstructionist/Dominionist movement. Such cases as these wre merely initial border skirmishes, not even close to opening salvos in what will be a very nasty war.

Our opposition isn't all Phelpses and noisemakers. Those are mostly vamp-acts, fillers. It has learned, is learning, planning and adapting, but that takes years of training young lawyers and activists and potential candidates. They have SAID that this is what they are doing. They ARE doing it.

We are on a timetable, people, and we NEED 18 States solidly in our corner. That's 1/3rd +1.

2014-16 is for ALL the marbles.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#9 Jun 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
They must have an over-inflated notion of the actual effect of wearing buttons and talking to people on the street.
My guess is that these people also wouldn't learn to argue the other side in a Debate class, nor learn to do opposition prep position papers in PoliSci.(Gads! That was a lot of "P"s)
They are simply very narcissistically rejecting any training in empathy.
What we are seeing here is the early fruits of the Oral Roberts/Regent University Law programs as part of the Christian Reconstructionist/Dominionist movement. Such cases as these wre merely initial border skirmishes, not even close to opening salvos in what will be a very nasty war.
Our opposition isn't all Phelpses and noisemakers. Those are mostly vamp-acts, fillers. It has learned, is learning, planning and adapting, but that takes years of training young lawyers and activists and potential candidates. They have SAID that this is what they are doing. They ARE doing it.
We are on a timetable, people, and we NEED 18 States solidly in our corner. That's 1/3rd +1.
2014-16 is for ALL the marbles.
YUP.

One world Church. ONE WORLD ORDER. Dictated by a select few?

Oh how did that Disciple of Jesus put it?

I don't have the right to question God's Select!

That should scare the crap out of anyone with any sense.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#10 Jun 24, 2013
Every gain we make, however small, messes with that.
Ted

Spokane, WA

#11 Dec 11, 2013
Christians don't like it very much when there rights are shit on too now do they? Now I bet some christian predicted the end of the world and the coming antichrist because of this on some website I guarantee it.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12 Dec 11, 2013
Ted wrote:
Christians don't like it very much when there rights are shit on too now do they? Now I bet some christian predicted the end of the world and the coming antichrist because of this on some website I guarantee it.
Except, according to the Courts, their Rights aren't impacted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 25,295
News Republican senator apologizes for saying 'a guy... 1 hr Pope Out To Pasture 1
News S. Korean presidential hopeful accused of anti-... 1 hr Pope Out To Pasture 1
News Lawmakers: Faith-based adoption groups can spur... 1 hr Pope Out To Pasture 4
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr River Tam 48,067
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 hr Pilots Nail Drivi... 5,595
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 5 hr June VanDerMark 13,387
News Gay pastor fights censure by United Methodist C... 9 hr Rose_NoHo 162
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 18 hr Richie 69,522
More from around the web