As New Ban Looms, Gays in Russia Face Uphill Battle

Jan 24, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: RIA Novosti

MOSCOW, January 24 Pavel Samburov exudes confidence when he recalls the night in October, on International Coming Out Day, when a group of masked hoodlums stormed and ransacked a Moscow gay club.

Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Jan 25, 2013

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Jan 24, 2013
The methods used in freer Countries will not work in Russia, nor in any place where the minds of the Citizenry are under the thumbs of religious totalitarianism, or the control of an essentially fascist-minded oligarchy.

Russians need to learn that there are better methods than just throwing meat at the opposition.

Since: Oct 12

Coolidge, AZ

#2 Jan 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
The methods used in freer Countries will not work in Russia, nor in any place where the minds of the Citizenry are under the thumbs of religious totalitarianism, or the control of an essentially fascist-minded oligarchy.
Russians need to learn that there are better methods than just throwing meat at the opposition.
I agree. What they need to do is revolt and throw off this oppressive government as they threw off the communist government in 1991.

After the Russians threw off communism in 1991, I had high hopes that they would become a functioning democratic capitalist republican democracy and join the family of nations as constructive partners in making a better world for all. I believed that would take 5 - 10 years to achieve.

And while President Yeltsin certainly made many mistakes in office, obviously his WORST mistake was picking Vladimir Putin as his sucessor. Putin is just the latest in a long line of Russian dictators, and appears to be well on his way to becoming the second-longest reigning dictator of Russia in the last 100 years (after Joseph Stalin's 29 year rule. He was probably the WORST mass-murderer in histor).

Putin wants to remain in power for decades until he dies, and I do o believe there is any way to get rid of him and his cohorts unless the Russian people once again revolt and DEMAND democracy. It's up to the Russian people alone to achieve.

But the Russian people seem condemned by history, and seem incapable of escaping their past.

Pity the poor Russian people.:(

Since they have had a declining population since at least 1990, perhaps within 80 years, they can completely depopulate Russia, and then start all over again from scratch. Otherwise they face the history books saying they have wasted 1000 years with nothing positive to show for it.

Pity the poor Russian people.:(

Location hidden

#3 Jan 24, 2013
Not going to happen. Their minds are thoroughly hoodwinked.

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Jan 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
Not going to happen. Their minds are thoroughly hoodwinked.
Well, for the forseeable future, I agree.

Then again.... nobody predicted the Berlin Wall being torn down, that communist regimes in cental Europe would suddenly collapse (without bloodshed mostly), nor that the Soviet Union would simply disintegrate without violence. So you're guess is as good as anyone else's in the world as to what will happen in Russia next. The future, even the NEAR future, is far more unpredictable than most people like to admit.

Location hidden

#5 Jan 24, 2013
Cal In AZ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again.... nobody predicted the Berlin Wall being torn down, that communist regimes in cental Europe would suddenly collapse (without bloodshed mostly), nor that the Soviet Union would simply disintegrate without violence. So you're guess is as good as anyone else's in the world as to what will happen in Russia next. The future, even the NEAR future, is far more unpredictable than most people like to admit.
I'm not speaking entirely from the outside here, remember?

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Jan 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not speaking entirely from the outside here, remember?
You're STILL in jail ?!
Jimbo

Anonymous Proxy

#8 Jan 24, 2013
Way to go Russia!!!!!!!!!!
Boris

Russia

#9 Jan 24, 2013
We know how to deal with filthy queers!

We do not accept or tolerate perversion in Russia!

Location hidden

#10 Jan 24, 2013
Cal In AZ wrote:
<quoted text>
You're STILL in jail ?!
lol. Not in THAT sense of in/outside, silly.

Location hidden

#11 Jan 24, 2013
Boris wrote:
Is THAT why you're after Moose and SAquirrel?

Coolidge, AZ

#12 Jan 24, 2013
Boris wrote:
You just tolerate murderers like Lenin, Stalin, Brezhnev, Andropov Chernenko, & Putin.
Anonymous

Brewster, NY

#14 Jan 24, 2013
Cal In AZ wrote:
<quoted text>
You just tolerate murderers like Lenin, Stalin, Brezhnev, Andropov Chernenko, & Putin.
Ironically a lot of these people weren't really very Russian....

Lenin was Volga German, Jewish, Swedish, Kalmyk & Mordvin in Ethnicity.

Stalin was of course Georgian.

Andropov was half Volga German & half Cossack.

Chernenko was Belarussian.

Brezhnev was Ukrainian.

........ As far as Putin goes??? To be honest I have to say some U.S Presidents are probably bigger war murders than him including George W Bush & Obama..

Putin is no doubt a jerk.... No arguments there.

Location hidden

#15 Jan 24, 2013
Their priorities are really messed up.

Must be too much vodka in the womb ... and after.
Anonymous

Brewster, NY

#16 Jan 24, 2013
Cal In AZ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well... I am quite sure the brainy Polish Catholic Brzezinski who was the main one to engineer the whole thing predicted a good deal of it..

Brzezinski supported Polish Solidarity to be peaceful but effective with Polish Pope John Paul II.

While Brzezinski supported bankrupting the Soviet Union to collapse by engineering the Afghan Soviet war.

Ultimately Brzezinski was the brain in collapsing the Soviet Union.
Anonymous

Brewster, NY

#17 Jan 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
Their priorities are really messed up.
Must be too much vodka in the womb ... and after.
Russia's economy is currently growing faster than the U.S economy.

In fact Russia has a lower unemployment rate than the U.S does today...

... Shouldn't the economy be the biggest priority?

..... Perhaps we in the U.S have our priorities wrong..... Where we neglect the economy in favor of caring so much about Gay marriage issues, Gun banning issues, Giving entilments to failures....

..... That perhaps the U.S has forgotten about the priority of putting Americans back to work & keeping the U.S economy great as it long has been!

Location hidden

#18 Jan 24, 2013
Israel Land of Trolls wrote:
<quoted text> ... While Brzezinski supported bankrupting the Soviet Union to collapse by engineering the Afghan Soviet war...
Which was an asinine and inhumane idea, so ...

Anonymous

Brewster, NY

#19 Jan 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Which was an asinine and inhumane idea, so ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =G1mnSjjeC2oXX
Asinine idea how?

1. Brzezinski's engineering of the Afghan Soviet war liberated by 500 million from an opressive Soviet regime.

2. Soviets took the bait & Afghans wanted it.

3. This was the least costly U.S miltary operation in both monetary cost & cost of human life.... While the Afghan Soviet war had the most effective results of any U.S miltary operation.

4. It was a revenge for what the Soviet Union did in supporting the Viet-Cong against the U.S..

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#21 Jan 24, 2013
is time for key anti gay russian lawmakers to swim with the fishes

Coolidge, AZ

#22 Jan 24, 2013
Israel Land of Vampires wrote:
<quoted text>
Asinine idea how?
1. Brzezinski's engineering of the Afghan Soviet war liberated by 500 million from an opressive Soviet regime.
2. Soviets took the bait & Afghans wanted it.
3. This was the least costly U.S miltary operation in both monetary cost & cost of human life.... While the Afghan Soviet war had the most effective results of any U.S miltary operation.
4. It was a revenge for what the Soviet Union did in supporting the Viet-Cong against the U.S..
It also obviously had some long-term and catastrophic unintended consequences for us.

Location hidden

#23 Jan 25, 2013
What a massive and callous distortion of history. It's a habit with this guy.

This conversation is over.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 2 min Frankie Rizzo 488
Chattanooga voters repeal civil rights for LGBT... 4 min Hitek Rednek 40
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 6 min Hitek Rednek 368
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 8 min Hitek Rednek 67,945
Which QUEER is the BIGGEST AZZHOLE? 13 min Mikey 0
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 19 min anonymous 54,831
Police hunting anti-gay pamphleteers: one dress... 27 min Dubya 8
Pizza chain sued over healthcare for gay couples 1 hr Frank Stanton 11
Judge critical of states defending gay marriage... 1 hr WeTheSheeple 53
•••