Pittsburgh street to close for gay marriage rally

Jun 26, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: York Dispatch

Police say a permit has been issued for the Wednesday rally on Liberty Avenue. A section between seventh and 10th streets will close from about 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The Delta Foundation of Pittsburgh, which represents the local lesbian, gay and bisexual community, says the "Riot or Rejoice" rally was called because they're expecting two Supreme ... (more)

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Yeah Pittsburgh! The city was never so gay when I lived there.

“... from a ...”

Since: Mar 09

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Mixed bag.

The SCotUS vacated Perry in it's entirety ... as if it never happened at all. They even said that they had no Standing to Petition in the first place.

California is STILL under the jackboot of PropH8.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
Yeah Pittsburgh! The city was never so gay when I lived there.
A long time ago I went to a wedding in downtown Pittsburgh and after we all went and sat in Mellon Square park to cool down a bit. That little park was FULL of gay guys chatting it up. My family was oblivious.

You GO Pittsburgh! While growing up, I spent every summer and Christmas vacation in Highland Park or Etna visiting both sets of grandparents.

though I never lived there, I have such a history, I claim that town. I am so proud of them today. I am proud of everyone who was brave enough to see this through.

“... from a ...”

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

I'm remembering this scene ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

snyper wrote:
Mixed bag.
The SCotUS vacated Perry in it's entirety ... as if it never happened at all. They even said that they had no Standing to Petition in the first place.
California is STILL under the jackboot of PropH8.
The PROPONENTS of Prop 8 had no standing. Judge Walkers ruling is reinstated.

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>A long time ago I went to a wedding in downtown Pittsburgh and after we all went and sat in Mellon Square park to cool down a bit. That little park was FULL of gay guys chatting it up. My family was oblivious.
You GO Pittsburgh! While growing up, I spent every summer and Christmas vacation in Highland Park or Etna visiting both sets of grandparents.
though I never lived there, I have such a history, I claim that town. I am so proud of them today. I am proud of everyone who was brave enough to see this through.
We might have talked about this before. I lived in Highland Park for five years in school. I could hear the peacocks in the zoo as I went to bed.

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

snyper wrote:
I'm remembering this scene ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
How I wish Pittsburgh had a bar anywhere near as fabulous as depicted in QAF! They were all dumps, over-priced, and mob-owned.

“... from a ...”

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
The PROPONENTS of Prop 8 had no standing. Judge Walkers ruling is reinstated.
I misread the Decision as applying to Walker, not the 9th Circus appeal. It completely changed the color. You want a nightmare? Read it that way just for fun.

The weird thing is that Sotomajor DISSENTED.

“... from a ...”

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
We might have talked about this before. I lived in Highland Park for five years in school. I could hear the peacocks in the zoo as I went to bed.
That must have been bloodcurdling. lol

“... from a ...”

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
How I wish Pittsburgh had a bar anywhere near as fabulous as depicted in QAF! They were all dumps, over-priced, and mob-owned.
Once we stop hiding in closets, and we cease top be criminalized. there is no reason other than residual subcultural tradition to frequent such places. They are relics of a darker time when mob-controlled businesses were the only places we COULD go. Such places NOW will only be for the fossils for whom nostalgia for the dangers of the time added spice to their identities as gay people.

This generation of gay kids is far less bar-centered. One wonders how and where they will gather to get to know each other. E-networking only goes so far. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Something far less furtive and self-defeating, one hopes.

Hey Harve! We DID IT!

You showed us how!

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Once we stop hiding in closets, and we cease top be criminalized. there is no reason other than residual subcultural tradition to frequent such places. They are relics of a darker time when mob-controlled businesses were the only places we COULD go. Such places NOW will only be for the fossils for whom nostalgia for the dangers of the time added spice to their identities as gay people.
This generation of gay kids is far less bar-centered. One wonders how and where they will gather to get to know each other. E-networking only goes so far. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Something far less furtive and self-defeating, one hopes.
Hey Harve! We DID IT!
You showed us how!
they go to the same clubs that the straights go to. They find each other through gaydar--not that difficult. And I imagine there are plenty of patrons looking for any action--not too particular what sex. The kids don't find being hit-on by the wrong person to be an excuse for violence, any more.

Come out, come out, wherever you are. It's safe now.

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
My family lived on Portland Street between Jackson and Welleslley, one block below Negley. My cousins went to Peabody High. In fact, they put my cousin's photo in the Post Gazette once, as crossing guard. I could hear the lions at the Zoo roar at night from there. I think we did have a similar discussion long ago.

In Pittsburgh all parental dietary rules were OFF and my cousins would take me down to the Stanton Negley Drug store and LOAD me up on more candy than I had in the entire year before, including Halloween! Or, if we wanted ice cream, we would venture up to Mellon St. to Plotkin's Deli, also near by.

“... from a ...”

GREAT HEIGHT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

My GAWD!

Can you imagine what the NYC PRIDE Parade is going to be like ?!?!?

Talk about WAAAAY over the top.

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>My family lived on Portland Street between Jackson and Welleslley, one block below Negley. My cousins went to Peabody High. In fact, they put my cousin's photo in the Post Gazette once, as crossing guard. I could hear the lions at the Zoo roar at night from there. I think we did have a similar discussion long ago.
In Pittsburgh all parental dietary rules were OFF and my cousins would take me down to the Stanton Negley Drug store and LOAD me up on more candy than I had in the entire year before, including Halloween! Or, if we wanted ice cream, we would venture up to Mellon St. to Plotkin's Deli, also near by.
My apt was a few blocks north of you on Bryant, half a block from Negley heading toward Morningside.(Of course, Bryant Street ended below my house due to the ravine between Highland Park and Morningside.)

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
My apt was a few blocks north of you on Bryant, half a block from Negley heading toward Morningside.(Of course, Bryant Street ended below my house due to the ravine between Highland Park and Morningside.)
I know exactly where you were, Portland dead ended at Bryant and we would go up and play in the gardens of the King Estate.

Um, I AM talking about when Kennedy was president, by the way.

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>I know exactly where you were, Portland dead ended at Bryant and we would go up and play in the gardens of the King Estate.
Um, I AM talking about when Kennedy was president, by the way.
I was 2 or 3 when you were there. But I think the Stanton-Negley Drug Store was still there circa 1980, though I never went in.(I have always been very healthy. And drug stores sold mostly health related items back in the old days.)

I always loved the King Estate. We voted there. So many beautiful homes have deteriorated and been torn down...

BTW: There was one tall apartment building next to Highland Park. It dominated the landscape. I'm guessing it was built in late sixties or early eighties. Was it there back then?

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I was 2 or 3 when you were there. But I think the Stanton-Negley Drug Store was still there circa 1980, though I never went in.(I have always been very healthy. And drug stores sold mostly health related items back in the old days.)
I always loved the King Estate. We voted there. So many beautiful homes have deteriorated and been torn down...
BTW: There was one tall apartment building next to Highland Park. It dominated the landscape. I'm guessing it was built in late sixties or early eighties. Was it there back then?
Yes, they did sell health related stuff, but sold LOADS of candy. Stanton Negley Drugs is STILL there, I was in Pittsburgh in 2011 to visit my aunt.

That highrise was built in about 1966 or so. It used to be the street car garage. The street cars lasted till about the early 60's. One went on Negley, the 71 Negley, which is now the bus route with same number. The brick wall around its perimeter is part of the old street car garage. One of my cousins had an apartment there about 15 years ago and the apartments inside are REALLY nice. The views are drop dead.

Don't worry about the houses, a lot of have been rediscovered and many were being rehabed. A lot had been broken up into rooming houses, but in 2011, single families were moving back in for they realized what architectural treasures those 1902 places had been all along. Check out your old neighborhood on Google Earth Maps, "walk" the streets and be amazed at what little has changed on the outside. The views are EXACTLY what I recall from the early 80's when my uncle passed away and his house was sold.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••