Be You, Be Different, Improve the World

Sep 4, 2013 | Posted by: Rick in Kansas | Full story: www.huffingtonpost.com

When my son was small, every year at the beginning of school, I would go to meet his teachers and anyone else involved in his instruction -- administrators, librarians, etc. I went with my son and his gay dad and my lesbian partner; all of us were there to pledge our support for our son, his classroom and the school community. We were also there to make it clear that our family would be visible and engaged.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Sep 5, 2013

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Judged:

Good for them.......it is important for GLBTQI families to let others know that they won't tolerate any bullying or other harassment just because of who their child might be or the child's parents are!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2013

Believe Truth wrote:
Gee, I thought you had some computer work to do tonight.....I guess that was just a lie so that you could change to another nic.......simply pathetic!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

Believe Truth wrote:
clinical facts about homosexuality.
You haven't POSTED any clinical facts about homosexuality......just more of the same garbage you always post!!!

“Dont reelect useless politicos”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

Believe Truth wrote:
<quoted text>What is the difference, to you gays clinical facts are called garbage? Besides, no one cares what you think. All the facts in the world will not get your kind to stop lying.
Are you familiar with the word " projection " because that is exactly what you just did.

You fake Bible thumping ,hypocrites disdain science and facts .

“Dont reelect useless politicos”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

Believe Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Are you familiar with the phrase "cognitive dissonance", because that is the only thing inherent among you who make the behavioral choice of being gay.
YOU fake gay thumping hypocrites disdain the facts about God,, science and facts in general. Any time you want to debate any one of the topics have at it. I suggest that you start with the science surrounding the behavioral choice of being gay. When we are finished, I am certain that the science alone will cause you to run for cover or find a closet to get back in.
I believe in God but not the vile twisted version of God that you Christian conservatives want.

You only what is convenient for you phonies .

You are a joke.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

Believe Truth wrote:
YOU fake gay thumping hypocrites disdain the facts about God,
1. Fake gay thumping hypocrites? Gay thumping?

2. A fact is an objectively verifiable claim. For example: The earth orbits the sun. This is a fact. However, nothing about God can be called a fact, which is why matters pertaining to him are called beliefs.

Do I disdain your beliefs about God? Yes, I do, and I choose to believe differently than you do.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Believe Truth wrote:
<quoted text>You are simply pathetic. Oh yeah, gay and pathetic are inherent and can not coexist without the other. Not sure what you are whining about, I have seen a lot of your whining on these threads. As if you displaying your mental disorder is going to change clinical facts about homosexuality.
Driving outside your lane again, I see.

Care to provide the number of your State License to practice in any of the Clinical Social Sciences?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

Let's REALLY be different and change the world.

Let's ignore the Xian troll that wants to derail this thread into the same old religion crazy-go-round, eh?

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

Back to topic and ignoring the troll:

This is an excellent article, thanks to Rick for posting it. What I like is the fact that the author doesn't restrict her commentary to LGBT people but includes everyone who is different. I have always been treated as an outsider for a number of reasons: My parents' personal choice to live among folks of lesser educationals status and differing ethnicity; my rejection of religion and faith; my failure to conform to gay ideas of physical appaerance; my choice of partners throughout the years, which has included a disabled person, a guy from the barrio and an immigrant; and most of all my own personality type which would probably be classified as "borderline Asperger's."

While the article takes a positive tone it does not mention that it takes some courage to live differently, even when one is not taking into account people who are bashers or outright bigots. Also, she is a bit at fault for writing from strictly an American sensibility rather than an international one - she does not take into account the in many societies people are brought up not merely to adhere to social conventions but to generally reject individualism in favour of communitarianism.(I am thinking specifically of Japan as an example here.) This makes it much, much more difficult for people in such societies to live individualistic lives as they would feel a sense of shame were they to do so.

However, I really like her emphasis on the difference that cultural activism can make. I think one of the main reasons for the increased acceptance of gay people is that many more straight people now know gay people. In most cases these are relatives or acquaintances; I still have doubts about whether many straight people are really willing to accepts LGBT folks as close friends even though they support gay rights.
But that will be overcome with time, too.

One thing gay men (lesbians have already largely done so) can do is to realize that the gay strip, boystown, gay ghetto, gay village or whatever else it is called should be treated merely as an entertainment district. You don't need to live in an area that is 95% or even 20% gay to be at home. I got over this idea 25 years ago but I know many gay men as old as I am (I am 57) who still feel they need to live where there at lots of other gays around.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

I am what I am
I am my own special creation.
So come take a look,
Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to take a little pride in,
My world, and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life's not worth a damn,
'Til you can say, "Hey world, I am what I am."
I am what I am,
I don't want praise, I don't want pity.
I bang my own drum,
Some think it's noise, I think it's pretty.
And so what, if I love each feather and each spangle,
Why not try to see things from a diff'rent angle?
Your life is a sham 'til you can shout out loud
I am what I am!
I am what I am
And what I am needs no excuses.
I deal my own deck
Sometimes the ace, sometimes the deuces.
There's one life, and there's no return and no deposit;
One life, so it's time to open up your closet.
Life's not worth a damn 'til you can say,
"Hey world, I am what I am!"

(Jerry Herman)

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Judged:

Not Yet Equal wrote:
I am what I am
I am my own special creation.
So come take a look,
Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to take a little pride in,
My world, and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life's not worth a damn,
'Til you can say, "Hey world, I am what I am."
I am what I am,
I don't want praise, I don't want pity.
I bang my own drum,
Some think it's noise, I think it's pretty.
And so what, if I love each feather and each spangle,
Why not try to see things from a diff'rent angle?
Your life is a sham 'til you can shout out loud
I am what I am!
I am what I am
And what I am needs no excuses.
I deal my own deck
Sometimes the ace, sometimes the deuces.
There's one life, and there's no return and no deposit;
One life, so it's time to open up your closet.
Life's not worth a damn 'til you can say,
"Hey world, I am what I am!"
(Jerry Herman)
Here is the song:
Bondo

Walnut, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

From the article...

"I went with my son and his gay dad and my lesbian partner; all of us were there to pledge our support for our son"

Can you imagine how screwed up this poor kid's life is?

Despicable.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2013

Bondo wrote:
From the article...
"I went with my son and his gay dad and my lesbian partner; all of us were there to pledge our support for our son"
Can you imagine how screwed up this poor kid's life is?
Despicable.
"Screwed up"? "Poor kid"?

Like these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Don't let your uninformed imaginings control you.

LEARN something:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/dec05/kids.aspx

http://www.cfw.tufts.edu/...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••