Where Is The Push To Lift Ban On Tran...

Where Is The Push To Lift Ban On Transsexual Service Members?

There are 10 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Mar 25, 2013, titled Where Is The Push To Lift Ban On Transsexual Service Members? . In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

(Editorial) The ban on lesbians, gays and bisexuals serving in the military is long gone, but what about the ban on transsexuals serving in the military?

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Mar 25, 2013
How could one hide being transsexual in the military?

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#2 Mar 25, 2013
An excellent article, asking a very valid question. To this I would add, what about intersex persons? Even though they are probably even fewer in number than transexuals in this or any country, if we are going to argue for inclusion, let's remember also the intersex people. If they have been excluded, it has probably been for the same reason as transsexuals -- prejudice based on ignorance. There is no valid reason why any human who wants to fight for the country of their birth should be denied that right due to their physical attributes.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#3 Mar 26, 2013
I don't understand such a ban. Whatever you physically and emotionally are equipped to do should be open for you to do.
mugwah

Hamilton, Canada

#4 Mar 26, 2013
Quest wrote:
I don't understand such a ban. Whatever you physically and emotionally are equipped to do should be open for you to do.
Because there are rules and expected conformity to standards, guidelines and principles within any society or organization. You can't just always do what you feel like doing. You can't always do what makes you happy. You can't always do what you want to do when you want to do it.

i know you're an ultra left-wing, bleeding heart liberal to pose such a question but I thought I'd try to explain it to you anyway.
mugwah

Hamilton, Canada

#5 Mar 26, 2013
I'm sure the women in the military don't really want to have to shower with some dude that wears a dress and too much makeup and a big dick.

Sausalito, CA

#6 Mar 26, 2013
Another idiot christian heard from. Don't even bother ...

Sei

Since: Nov 08

Rutland, VT

#7 Mar 26, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
How could one hide being transsexual in the military?
Well, we could ask Ms Robinson...she didn't transition until after she left the military.

Sei

Since: Nov 08

Rutland, VT

#8 Mar 26, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
An excellent article, asking a very valid question. To this I would add, what about intersex persons? Even though they are probably even fewer in number than transexuals in this or any country, if we are going to argue for inclusion, let's remember also the intersex people. If they have been excluded, it has probably been for the same reason as transsexuals -- prejudice based on ignorance. There is no valid reason why any human who wants to fight for the country of their birth should be denied that right due to their physical attributes.
Thank you. I have to do some research on if there is a ban on intersexuals in the military. Typically the two issues are treated separately, so if someone who is intersexed is assigned or born the wrong sex and transition they are still considered transsexual.

I'm probably also going to upset people because I abhor the term 'transgender' and I feel like being vocal about it.

Sausalito, CA

#9 Mar 26, 2013
Sei wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. I have to do some research on if there is a ban on intersexuals in the military. Typically the two issues are treated separately, so if someone who is intersexed is assigned or born the wrong sex and transition they are still considered transsexual.
I'm probably also going to upset people because I abhor the term 'transgender' and I feel like being vocal about it.
Yes, the correct term is important. I get the impression that society often confuses intersex with transsexual, as though the two terms are synonymous. But I know at least two intersex people who where born with attributes of both genders and have absolutely no intention whatsoever of 'transitioning' to ... anything. They are quite happy to remain the way they were born -- and I have to agree with them. If you are fine with who you are, why should you be coerced by society to fit into one of only two boxes simply because others feel uncomfortable or there aren't sufficient pronouns in most of our languages?! Biological diversity are the operative words.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#10 Mar 27, 2013
I don't think there is any reason to bar transsexual people from military service. If they can do the job, then why prohibit them from serving ?

It makes no sense. It's just another obvious form of bigotry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Gay sex causes earthquakes' says conservative ... 6 min wichita-rick 11
News Mississippi Governor Signs Law Allowing Busines... 45 min Redd Neckman 491
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 1 hr californio 1,061
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr River Tam 11,930
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr The Rainbow Kid 36,267
News Christian bigots hammered after releasing hilar... 1 hr Three Psyche 2
News Gay marriage victory at Supreme Court triggerin... 2 hr The Rainbow Kid 3
More from around the web