Mormon church wants more compassion for gays

Dec 6, 2012 Full story: Reno Gazette-Journal 61

In this Jan. 31, 2008 file photo, two Mormon missionaries walk past a large map of the world in a hallway at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah.

Full Story

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#22 Dec 6, 2012
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Once they spend the same amount of time, money, and resources supporting equal rights in the law as well as their congregations as they have spent trying to prevent them, then I will think about trusting them.
Exactly and precisely.

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#23 Dec 7, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>YOU are a bigot.
YOU, David/Caleb/whoever you are today, are a troll.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#24 Dec 7, 2012
Never trust a 'church' that slaps 'church owned' handcuffs on non-members who kiss each other on public park benches

.....and makes a movie of it

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#25 Dec 7, 2012
This is 1978 all over again. Soon the LDS church will have another "revelation." The LDS church has been taking a real beating over gay rights. Their conversion numbers are also way, way down. The leaders will believe anything as long as it will help put butts in their seats. They like the money that those butts will bring with it.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#26 Dec 7, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>YOU are a bigot.
Do you really think you're going to entice people to your way of thinking by calling them religious names?

“Stop the liberal madness”

Location hidden

#27 Dec 7, 2012
Now that the election is over I have to admit that I find Mormonism to be a cult and Romney was my absolute last choice.

He was better than the Muslim but than again who isn't.

The GOP is just self destructing before my eyes.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#28 Dec 7, 2012
luv Sarah Palin wrote:
Now that the election is over I have to admit that I find Mormonism to be a cult and Romney was my absolute last choice.
And many others, too. Sleep well, however, knowing that he Mitt will never again be a significant political figure, nationally nor in Massachusetts.
He was better than the Muslim but than again who isn't.
Muslim? To whom are you referring?
The GOP is just self destructing before my eyes.
May something far better arise from the ashes of the Republican Party. Actually, it's hard to imagine anything worse than what the GOP has become--but I'm sure some are trying to invent it. It needs to be completely destroyed so that we can build something new and better.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#33 Dec 7, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>You're just making up lies. The Mormon Church remains one of the fastest growing in the USA: www.thearda.com
There will never be a change in the Holy Scriptures, which repeatedly condemn all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms.
Cults do grow a lot.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#34 Dec 7, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>Liar. The lewd acts were committed on private property, purposefully attacking the Church and its beliefs.
Kissing is lewd now? I'm a prude and that's insane to even me. What's next, any hugging will be considered sexual activity?

Chagrin Falls, OH

#35 Dec 7, 2012
Caleb wrote:
There will never be a change in the Holy Scriptures, which repeatedly condemn all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms.
That's so funny!

I guess you didn't know that in 1978 the Mormon church changed their holy scripture so that African-Americans were no longer considered to be cursed by God.

And it was only in the 1960s when Christians in general had an awakening regarding interracial marriages. What was previously considered condemned by the Bible was suddenly perfectly acceptable to most Christians.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#39 Dec 7, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously have extremely low and intolerant, bigoted standards. Going onto church property and doing something that you well know that church finds immoral and wrong is indeed bad behavior.
You know well enough that all homosexual behavior is repeatedly condemned in both Testaments of the Bible.
So ... you weren't raised Mormon. All of us kids, in our teens, would kiss someone in the parking, especially after the social dance ... it was once a month, a ploy to keep us off drugs and all, like they needed that. The church also taught science, a lot of it, so we knew more about drugs than most adults who were not Mormon. We had coed camping, that was my favorite, fishing is the only sport I ever liked and they offered free and real fishing, none of that hatchery garbage. My father taught me to flyfish at the Mormon camp named after Nephi in my state, forgot the full name I just recall that being a part of it. It had a large "cabin," a river/creek system, and a pond. Small campground for tents, and a muddy parking lot.

Tell you what, when you actually GO to their church, you'll learn a thing or two. Kissing is not frowned on, sexuality itself isn't even frown on, just the whole "marriage" requirement and all. So it's obvious discrimination when they get mad about "someone else" doing it, and it's hypocrisy. You are making excuses for a religion you are not even, and never were, a part of.

Marysville, CA

#40 Dec 7, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously have extremely low and intolerant, bigoted standards. Going onto church property and doing something that you well know that church finds immoral and wrong is indeed bad behavior.
You know well enough that all homosexual behavior is repeatedly condemned in both Testaments of the Bible.
If you want to talk about the Bible, the fact is that any sex outside of marriage is condemned. Even thinking about it is sin, and makes you as guilty as the person who does it. Love, however, is not a sin. You will not find one verse that speaks against love. Lust for the sake of lust, yes. Love, no.

Marysville, CA

#41 Dec 7, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>You are of course lying. No scriptures were changed and many Christians never had religious objections to inter-racial marriage.
he Mormon church certainly did, and you could be excommunicated for doing it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#42 Dec 7, 2012
Fun point of fact, though I still warn not to trust the Mormons because they are fully trained snake oils salesmen, Mormons are probably the only religious straight people to get tested for AIDS and STDs once a year, in spite of not having sex outside of marriage, ironically. Because they know, as they are informed as youth, the truth of illnesses such as those. Outings to the science expos were another part of growing up that I did enjoy, and we had a lot of them, especially the Seattle Science Center, which had an AIDS awareness booth all the time. Even as kids we lined up for the quick blood test, just to get use to it. We didn't fear illness, because we were informed, not because we were idiots like most religious nuts.

So, at least you can trust touching a Mormon, they'll be less likely to make you sick compared to the other religious straight folks.

Chagrin Falls, OH

#43 Dec 7, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>You are of course lying. No scriptures were changed and many Christians never had religious objections to inter-racial marriage.
Typical troll. Refuse to admit you were mistaken even when the evidence is right there for everyone to see. And trying to rewrite history since that darn history doesn't back up your opinions.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#44 Dec 7, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
he Mormon church certainly did, and you could be excommunicated for doing it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_Tra...

http://bible.cc/luke/12-48.htm
http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc...

You were lying what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_and...

Of course they didn't actually change the scripture referenced here, but it was put on the "ignore" list of the church, of which there are a lot of such bible scriptures.

Marysville, CA

#45 Dec 7, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_Tra...
http://bible.cc/luke/12-48.htm
http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc...
You were lying what?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_and...
Of course they didn't actually change the scripture referenced here, but it was put on the "ignore" list of the church, of which there are a lot of such bible scriptures.
I'm dealing with another Mormon idiot on another thread, who thinks God calling dark skin a curse isn't racist. There's nothing offensive about that at all, according to him.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#46 Dec 7, 2012
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm dealing with another Mormon idiot on another thread, who thinks God calling dark skin a curse isn't racist. There's nothing offensive about that at all, according to him.
That one is probably a true Mormon, religious people master the art of justifying hatred by becoming indifferent to the meanings of things. Mormons are really good at it too.

Another fun point of fact, according to Mormons, evolution is just "how god did it," same with the big bang and all that. A day in Genesis to them means "some unknown length of mullions of years." Interesting how they have completely altered their beliefs to fit in science, it's one of the reasons their snake oil is so easy to sell.
No More Apples

Phoenix, AZ

#47 Dec 7, 2012
The Mormon church welcomes all gay people. That was the point of the article. It's not a choice. That's an olive branch. Why the hostility?

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#48 Dec 7, 2012
No More Apples wrote:
The Mormon church welcomes all gay people. That was the point of the article. It's not a choice. That's an olive branch. Why the hostility?
Because the Mormon church has moved beyond their coreligionists and trying to influence civil law against those that do not believe as they do. I don't care what their religious beliefs are, but when they try to tell me, under law, what I can or cannot do, I view that has hostility towards me. It may be a surprise to the church that gays and lesbians are no longer cowering in the closet and have learned to push back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christian Pastors Given Choice: Perform Same-Se... 8 min Fa-Foxy 126
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 8 min Monaie 56,624
GOP leader: NC officials can refuse to marry gays 8 min Belle Sexton 1
GOP Congressional Candidate: Gay Couples Are 'G... 18 min Currywurst 11
Sickening homophobia on bodybuilding.com 37 min Bus Rider Action 10
Gay democracy activist in Cuba awaits sentencin... 37 min paul shykora arts 34
Miss. ban on same-sex marriage challenged in... 38 min Foster 14
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 47 min barry 1,422
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 54 min HOLME 3,055
Gay kiss couple 'thrown off bus' 11 hr Lickalotta Lulu 27