Mormon church wants more compassion for gays

Dec 6, 2012 Full story: Reno Gazette-Journal 61

In this Jan. 31, 2008 file photo, two Mormon missionaries walk past a large map of the world in a hallway at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#1 Dec 6, 2012
Sounds like the old refrain:

"Do as I say, not as I do."

The LGBT community would be less skeptical of the Mormon church if it stopped trying to deny us our civil rights and made amends for the harm done. Pouring Mormon money into anti-LGBT laws has consequences.

Since: Jul 11

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Dec 6, 2012
Article wrote:
Church authorities said they were stunned by the backlash.
How could you NOT get backlash when you take away civil rights granted to a minority? They want to teach their flock of sheep to be more tolerant of gays and lesbians, but they still want us to take a seat that back of the bus because their founder's imaginary friends never said to be good to gays.

What a crock!

Every religion is nothing more than a scam to get people who refuse to think for themselves to willingly do harm to others because someone else says it will get them some fictional reward. Grow up people and deal with the real world - this is all there is and we all need to work together or we all lose.

Since: Jul 11

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Dec 6, 2012
"but they still want us to take a seat at the back of the bus."

That is what I intended to write. My fingers, obviously, had a different agenda.
airhart

Bettendorf, IA

#4 Dec 6, 2012
One must ask, what the hell are they up to ???

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#5 Dec 6, 2012
As far as I'm concerned, the Mormons can take the money that they have been using against us, and build some spaceships to search for those planets they intend to occupy as Gods after they die. They have more of a chance of succeeding at that, than convincing me that they care even one iota about us. It is a corrupt and UN-American institution, as is the Catholic church.

Chagrin Falls, OH

#6 Dec 6, 2012
airhart wrote:
They see the writing on the wall with LGBT rights, just like they did with rights for African-Americans.

Chagrin Falls, OH

#7 Dec 6, 2012
To learn more about how the Mormon church dealt with their longstanding prejudice towards African-Americans, read the article at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/opinion/sun...

“Equality marches on! ”

Location hidden

#8 Dec 6, 2012
airhart wrote:
Extending an olive branch in one hand, while hiding a knife behind the back with the other!

“Married 6/17/08”

Since: Feb 07

Porterville, CA

#9 Dec 6, 2012
IrishmanLA wrote:
<quoted text>
How could you NOT get backlash when you take away civil rights granted to a minority? They want to teach their flock of sheep to be more tolerant of gays and lesbians, but they still want us to take a seat that back of the bus because their founder's imaginary friends never said to be good to gays.
What a crock!
Every religion is nothing more than a scam to get people who refuse to think for themselves to willingly do harm to others because someone else says it will get them some fictional reward. Grow up people and deal with the real world - this is all there is and we all need to work together or we all lose.
Why should we trust the? They lied about their involvement in Hawaii. They lied about their involvement in NOM, they lied about Prop 8 + their involvement in that fight. They lie about LGBT People and keep trying to suppress our rights. The only thing I can say you have to earn trust, maybe fight on our side for a while and then we'll talk about trust.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#10 Dec 6, 2012
It's still "I hate your guts". I just won't say it that way.
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Dec 6, 2012
The Mormon Church is probably why Marie Osmond's gay son committed suicide.
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Dec 6, 2012
I woulnt trust a Mormon as far as I could throw the dammed Nazi Pope
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Dec 6, 2012
RalphB wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, the Mormons can take the money that they have been using against us, and build some spaceships to search for those planets they intend to occupy as Gods after they die. They have more of a chance of succeeding at that, than convincing me that they care even one iota about us. It is a corrupt and UN-American institution, as is the Catholic church.
BINGO!!!!

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#14 Dec 6, 2012
snyper wrote:
It's still "I hate your guts". I just won't say it that way.
If they want more compassion for gays and lesbians then they should simply give it!

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.
Michael

Jacksonville, AR

#15 Dec 6, 2012
The Mormons and most other Christian sects are little more than Pharisees and Money-Changers. The only two groups that Christ spoke passionately against.

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#16 Dec 6, 2012
Michael wrote:
The Mormons and most other Christian sects are little more than Pharisees and Money-Changers. The only two groups that Christ spoke passionately against.
I always find it funny when certain people quote Romans and fail to see themselves anywhere in the book!

U.I.F. is one good example. They prefer to preach what they think is in the Bible rather than study it and practice what's in it.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#17 Dec 6, 2012
jcofe wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should we trust the? They lied about their involvement in Hawaii. They lied about their involvement in NOM, they lied about Prop 8 + their involvement in that fight. They lie about LGBT People and keep trying to suppress our rights. The only thing I can say you have to earn trust, maybe fight on our side for a while and then we'll talk about trust.
It's only a lie if you mislead other Mormons.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#18 Dec 6, 2012
Once they spend the same amount of time, money, and resources supporting equal rights in the law as well as their congregations as they have spent trying to prevent them, then I will think about trusting them.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#19 Dec 6, 2012
Hypocrisy, they name is two, Christ and Moroni, one a Mormon, the other a Jew.

I had to use the word Jew to make it rhyme, though I don't see any difference in the delusion part, they aren't that bad really, certainly not as bad as the Mormons. Heed my warning, maintain your criticisms and doubt, they are a snaky bunch, they will reach a hand out offering friendship while hiding the sword behind them.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#20 Dec 6, 2012
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Once they spend the same amount of time, money, and resources supporting equal rights in the law as well as their congregations as they have spent trying to prevent them, then I will think about trusting them.
No, wait until they have a gay prophet sitting in the bench, a real one, not gay for pay. Only then can anyone ever trust any of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US judge upholds state same-sex marriage ban, r... 6 min DaveinMass 1,008
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 10 min Reverend Alan 675
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 20 min Harry Balls 50,052
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 30 min Terra Firma 3,491
SF gay pride event celebrates 40th anniversary (Jun '10) 32 min MarmotaCaligata 95
Divorce Law Out Of Synch With Same-Sex Marriage 48 min Fundies R Mentall... 37
State of Alaska defends gay-marriage ban 56 min Sgt Common Sense 161
Gay Marriage and the Limits of Tradition 2 hr NorCal Native 1,027
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 2,269
What if high court rejects gay marriage cases? 3 hr Fundies R Mentall... 12

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE