Maryland gay marriage: Some St. Mary'...

Maryland gay marriage: Some St. Mary's County clerks to stop performing marriages

There are 25 comments on the TBD.com story from Dec 27, 2012, titled Maryland gay marriage: Some St. Mary's County clerks to stop performing marriages. In it, TBD.com reports that:

Some deputy court clerks in St. Mary's County will stop performing marriages when same-sex marriage becomes legal in Maryland next week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TBD.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mona Lott

West New York, NJ

#1 Dec 27, 2012
I have religious objections to working. Can I still draw my paycheck?
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Dec 27, 2012
IF you cant perform the JOB you were Hired to do....for ALL Citizens, then RESIGN!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#3 Dec 27, 2012
Then they should be fired.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#4 Dec 27, 2012
Can I keep my job and paycheck while I stop serving christians because they offend my religious convictions? I will also stop servicing jews, muslims, hindus, and atheists, etc to maintain religious neutrality.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#5 Dec 27, 2012
So this court clerk is going to change the job descriptions for some of her clerks by removing a duty while keep those duties for other clerks. Sounds like some of the clerks are getting a certain religious preference over others with different religious beliefs. This clerk must never have studied the law. Sounds like religious discrimination to me.

“Married 6/17/08”

Since: Feb 07

Porterville, CA

#6 Dec 27, 2012
If they don't/won't do their COUNTY Jobs, fire them. IF they worked for a "church" no problem' but, they work for the government.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#7 Dec 27, 2012
jcofe wrote:
If they don't/won't do their COUNTY Jobs, fire them. IF they worked for a "church" no problem' but, they work for the government.
agreed. It's not like they were elected to Congress, so why do they think they should be paid for NOT doing their job?

If my memory serves there was a large push to insert the same NY style "religious exemption" to the new law by the anti-gays. It failed.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#8 Dec 27, 2012
We should start a social media petition to Gov. O'Malley to either fire or arrest these people.

After all at one time you could be jailed in Maryland for publicly denouncing the Holy Trinity as divine law.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#9 Dec 27, 2012
I sometimes read the comments at the end of the article to see how people feel about this and here is one that should give us some thought about what these clerks are refusing to really do:
If a deputy clerk refused to marry interracial couples because of his or her religious beliefs, would that clerk be fired or just allowed to not perform the ceremonies? The bible forbids interracial marriage with much more emphasis than it forbids homosexuality, yet people's bigotry toward gays is handled with kid gloves. Typical religious hypocrisy and typical coddling of bigotry in the name of religion.

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/12/maryland...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#10 Dec 27, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
I sometimes read the comments at the end of the article to see how people feel about this and here is one that should give us some thought about what these clerks are refusing to really do:
If a deputy clerk refused to marry interracial couples because of his or her religious beliefs, would that clerk be fired or just allowed to not perform the ceremonies? The bible forbids interracial marriage with much more emphasis than it forbids homosexuality, yet people's bigotry toward gays is handled with kid gloves. Typical religious hypocrisy and typical coddling of bigotry in the name of religion.
Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/12/maryland...
Your post got me investigating. Here's a belated Christmas gift for you my dear.

16 Bible verses about Mixed Race Marriage
http://www.openbible.info/topics/mixed_race_m...

#11 Dec 27, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Your post got me investigating. Here's a belated Christmas gift for you my dear.
16 Bible verses about Mixed Race Marriage
http://www.openbible.info/topics/mixed_race_m...
Thank you......amazing how there doesn't seem to be any against the marriages of Same-Sex Couples:-)

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Dec 27, 2012
Not suprisingly we're all in agreement; at least until the trolls arrive.

I wonder if I went into their courthouse and refused to be waited on by a black (or asian or jewish or white etc) clerk if they'd be as quick to accommodate my "deeply held beliefs"?

I bet Gov O'Malley will put a stop to this pretty quick.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#13 Dec 27, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you......amazing how there doesn't seem to be any against the marriages of Same-Sex Couples:-)
Off topic but here's my horoscope for today:

"December 27, 2012
Defending Equality
Scorpio Daily Horoscope
Should you find yourself in a situation where the honor of a peer, colleague, family, or friend is called into question today, you will likely respond by supporting their rights. You may feel compelled to defend the liberties of individuals in your home, workplace, community, and world. Even those people whose beliefs, opinions, and lifestyles differ from your own will likely find themselves under the auspices of your protection. You may recognize the importance of the brotherhood of humanity and want to protect it by doing all you can to ensure that all human beings are free to live ethical, happy, and productive lives. You&#20516;l likely respond to injustice today with concentrated displays of activism and expressions of serene tolerance.

As you defend the rights of others, you ensure that justice, as well as freedom, are preserved and that aid will be forthcoming should you find that your liberties are being suppressed. When we endeavor to create a culture in which all people are free to believe what they like and express themselves as they see fit, we protect our own rights as we stand up for the rights of others. Your inclusive and ethical stand can inspire others to consider freedom as its own concept. You will become part of a movement to unify humanity through the shared responsibility of protecting equality. Should you then need others to defend your rights, help will be forthcoming. When you endeavor to ensure that all people are free to think and feel as they wish today, you will guarantee your own freedoms in the process."

kind of eerie isn't it!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#14 Dec 27, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I wonder if I went into their courthouse and refused to be waited on by a black (or asian or jewish or white etc) clerk if they'd be as quick to accommodate my "deeply held beliefs"?
From your mouth to God's ear.

#15 Dec 27, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Off topic but here's my horoscope for today:
"December 27, 2012
Defending Equality
Scorpio Daily Horoscope
Should you find yourself in a situation where the honor of a peer, colleague, family, or friend is called into question today, you will likely respond by supporting their rights. You may feel compelled to defend the liberties of individuals in your home, workplace, community, and world. Even those people whose beliefs, opinions, and lifestyles differ from your own will likely find themselves under the auspices of your protection. You may recognize the importance of the brotherhood of humanity and want to protect it by doing all you can to ensure that all human beings are free to live ethical, happy, and productive lives. You&#20516;l likely respond to injustice today with concentrated displays of activism and expressions of serene tolerance.
As you defend the rights of others, you ensure that justice, as well as freedom, are preserved and that aid will be forthcoming should you find that your liberties are being suppressed. When we endeavor to create a culture in which all people are free to believe what they like and express themselves as they see fit, we protect our own rights as we stand up for the rights of others. Your inclusive and ethical stand can inspire others to consider freedom as its own concept. You will become part of a movement to unify humanity through the shared responsibility of protecting equality. Should you then need others to defend your rights, help will be forthcoming. When you endeavor to ensure that all people are free to think and feel as they wish today, you will guarantee your own freedoms in the process."
kind of eerie isn't it!
Yep, this would apply to my wife as well.......lol!!!

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#16 Dec 27, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
...or refuse to be waited on by a 'holier than thou' christian.

Will these special clerks be able to refuse to wait on these married same-sex couples that may need to come into the clerk's office for other issues?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#17 Dec 28, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
...or refuse to be waited on by a 'holier than thou' christian.
Will these special clerks be able to refuse to wait on these married same-sex couples that may need to come into the clerk's office for other issues?
In fact that Court Clerk supervisor who wants to let associate clerks refuse service is liable for fines of $50,000 to $300,000!

"The Maryland Fair Employment Practices Act: Article 49B of the Code of Maryland (State Law):

Similar to Federal Laws, but adds pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and genetic information, to the list of protected classes.
Lower number of employees to trigger coverage than federal laws
Individual supervisors may be charged for discriminatory acts
Small employers(under 15) are not covered by this law so look to county laws for coverage
Limits damage awards i.e. punitive damages and compensatory limited to range of $50,000 to $300,000 depending on the number of employees that the employer has. Court can award attorneys fees, expert costs, witness fees and costs."

http://www.plotnicklaw.com/employment-discrim...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#18 Dec 28, 2012
I've changed my mind. Don't fire the supervisor. Prosecute her!

Firing her is too lenient.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#19 Dec 28, 2012
DNF wrote:
I've changed my mind. Don't fire the supervisor. Prosecute her!
Firing her is too lenient.
...and fine her! I'm sure the court system meets the minimum threshold for the max amount.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#20 Dec 28, 2012
I wonder what these "good christian" clerks do when they ask if either person has been married before and one or both of them have?? Do they put down their pen and refuse to complete the license??

Jesus was VERY clear about divorcees remarrying, wasn't he??? Adultery is one of the big bad 10. Being gay isn't even mentioned.

But then, these hypocrites that ignore all of the tenets in the Bible except the ones against gays can't be bothered to think very much, can they?? If you have to think for yourself, why have religion to begin with??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Excited by Trump, gay Republicans struggle with... 2 min Frankie Rizzo 71
News Scouts steady after easing gay-leader rules 5 min Rabbi 1
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 33 min WasteWater 14,608
News Gay Kid in Louisiana Says 'Duck Dynasty' Star M... (Jan '14) 38 min shaggy 99
Is Little Robbie safe and sound? 1 hr Sherman 37
Little Robbie's Happy Place 1 hr Huey 39
News Clooney's restraining order 2 hr stoned luck aka ... 23
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 38,405
More from around the web