Study suggests homosexuality begins i...

Study suggests homosexuality begins in womb

There are 34 comments on the www.seattlepi.com story from Nov 26, 2012, titled Study suggests homosexuality begins in womb. In it, www.seattlepi.com reports that:

Men who have several older brothers have an increased chance of being gay -- whether they were raised together or not -- a finding researchers say adds weight to the idea that sexual orientation is based in biology.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.seattlepi.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1 Nov 26, 2012
I remember hearing about a similar study way back in the 1970's. My Mom told me about it.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2 Nov 26, 2012
For what it's worth my Mom always believe I was born gay.

Funny thing is the Roman Catholic Church says the same thing now; some people are created with same sex orientation.

They didn't think that way back in the 70's.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#3 Nov 26, 2012
DNF wrote:
I remember hearing about a similar study way back in the 1970's. My Mom told me about it.
The birth order theory has been around for years and there are any number studies which pretty much back it up as an explanation for the recurrence of much of the male homosexuality in the population. The difference in this one is that it rules out causality based on environmental or social effects, it proves this is one of the ways you can make future gay babies just happen sometimes and up your odds in doing so.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Nov 26, 2012
Most of the evidence for this comes from the fact that if a doctor listens the baby in the womb with a stethoscope, he can hear them quietly singing showtunes.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#5 Nov 26, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The birth order theory has been around for years and there are any number studies which pretty much back it up as an explanation for the recurrence of much of the male homosexuality in the population. The difference in this one is that it rules out causality based on environmental or social effects, it proves this is one of the ways you can make future gay babies just happen sometimes and up your odds in doing so.
Thank you for your information and explanation.

I remember that in the other study, the scientist suggested that some type of trauma to the woman while pregnant was the cause.

The thing that has always stuck in the back of my mind about any of these studies is the idea that if a cause is found then that would point to a "cure".

For me being gay or lesbian is basically the same as right-handedness versus left-handedness. Just because most people are right handed doesn't left handedness is a "defect". Same goes for heterosexuality and homosexuality.

Each is part of the greater "norm".

“Adam and Steve”

Since: Aug 08

Earth

#6 Nov 26, 2012
This study goes back a ways. Anyway, the hypothesis fits my family. I have two older (hetero) brothers. (And my ring finger is shorter than my index finger ... another study). Wonder if there are any studies concerning lesbians, because both my oldest sibling and my youngest sibling are lesbians. The force is strong in my family. ;-)

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Nov 26, 2012
Edio wrote:
This study goes back a ways. Anyway, the hypothesis fits my family. I have two older (hetero) brothers.(And my ring finger is shorter than my index finger ... another study). Wonder if there are any studies concerning lesbians, because both my oldest sibling and my youngest sibling are lesbians. The force is strong in my family. ;-)
I'm a gay male and have been out for over 30 years. I'm the oldest of 4 children, having one brother and 2 sisters, and afte just now checking, my ring fingers are noticably longer than my index fingers.

And I have cats !

:)

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#8 Nov 26, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
Most of the evidence for this comes from the fact that if a doctor listens the baby in the womb with a stethoscope, he can hear them quietly singing showtunes.
That's he first joke you have posted that I actually found funny. Good job.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#9 Nov 26, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a gay male and have been out for over 30 years. I'm the oldest of 4 children, having one brother and 2 sisters, and afte just now checking, my ring fingers are noticably longer than my index fingers.
And I have cats !
OMG. I just looked and my ring finger is longer than my index finger too!

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#10 Nov 26, 2012
Therefore, scientifically speaking, having long ring fingers, causes cats !

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#11 Nov 26, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
Therefore, scientifically speaking, having long ring fingers, causes cats !
Well I have two cats and one dog ( a really gay looking kind too).
Does that mean I'm really bisexual?

I feel faint!
Chance

Grove City, PA

#12 Nov 26, 2012
Oh, please! Just thinking of all of the large families I know about with several male siblings, not a one of which is gay. Wonder why that is.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#13 Nov 26, 2012
Chance wrote:
Oh, please! Just thinking of all of the large families I know about with several male siblings, not a one of which is gay. Wonder why that is.
I know a family where the father is a BIG guy born and raised in Texas (not germane, just a fact). He and his wife have 4 sons, no daughters. Three of the four young men are openly gay. The oldest was my date to my sister's wedding.

this one

#14 Nov 26, 2012
Edio wrote:
This study goes back a ways. Anyway, the hypothesis fits my family. I have two older (hetero) brothers.(And my ring finger is shorter than my index finger ... another study). Wonder if there are any studies concerning lesbians, because both my oldest sibling and my youngest sibling are lesbians. The force is strong in my family. ;-)
You know, I can't think of any studies on the possible causalities of lesbianism. All the studies that I know of, birth order, kin selection, maternal bloodline and so on, are all male specific. I really can't say why that is. It's not like there isn't any women in these fields, it's just that they all study men.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#15 Nov 26, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>You know, I can't think of any studies on the possible causalities of lesbianism. All the studies that I know of, birth order, kin selection, maternal bloodline and so on, are all male specific. I really can't say why that is. It's not like there isn't any women in these fields, it's just that they all study men.
Maybe because being a gay male is more FUN !

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#16 Nov 26, 2012
Chance wrote:
Because denial is not just a river in Egypt?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#17 Nov 26, 2012
Does it REALLY matter WHY people are gay ?!

Does it REALLY matter WHY people are left-handed ?!

Does it REALLY matter WHY people are tall or short, or black or blond or wateva ???

In the U.S., whether you are gay or str8, or tall or short, or blond, or left-handed or wateva, weare all SUPPOSED TO have "EQUAL PROTECTION OF THE LAWS".

this one

#18 Nov 26, 2012
DNF wrote:
Thank you for your information and explanation.
I remember that in the other study, the scientist suggested that some type of trauma to the woman while pregnant was the cause.
The thing that has always stuck in the back of my mind about any of these studies is the idea that if a cause is found then that would point to a "cure".
For me being gay or lesbian is basically the same as right-handedness versus left-handedness. Just because most people are right handed doesn't left handedness is a "defect". Same goes for heterosexuality and homosexuality.
Each is part of the greater "norm".
There isn't going to be a single explanation for the existence of the homosexual population, but several producing essentially the same results, a future gay baby. It's a puzzle of genetics, biology and the evolutionary needs of a species that had a much shorter life span. There is no single genetic switch, but several which might work in an unknown number of different combinations. There is no single biological influence, birth order, hormonal influences in utero and so on, it could be one, it could be all, it could be none and you still get a fabulous baby boy. Those hoping for in utero gaydar detection to nip the problem in the proverbial bud are going to be sadly disappointed. Thankfully.

The comparison to handedness is the most obvious and the one so few people get. It runs in families, but there is no specific gene for it and the closest thing to one, is more likely to prove you have a future in schizophrenia than in using left handed scissors. There is no known biological cause and no known 'cure' for it. It is an instinct of unknown origin, which at some point must have been useful enough to the species for it to continue to reappear like it does. Sounds kinda familiar, doesn't it?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#19 Nov 26, 2012
Chance wrote:
How do you know none of them are gay? Did you proposition them?

Just because they turned you down doesn't mean they wouldn't go for a rel man.

this one

#20 Nov 26, 2012
Chance wrote:
Why? Because there is no single explanation as to why your son is destined to be that kind of different, but several genetic and biological factors that work to make your baby future fabulous. While it is not true in all cases of male homosexuality, it is however the norm for male homosexuals to have one or more older male siblings. I have two myself. Is birth order the sole determinant? Of course not, my father's family had nine boys, none of whom were gay. Although I do/did have gay relatives on my mother's side of the family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 4 min antipolicticalcor... 12,973
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 5 min Siam 36,033
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 min Respect71 37,251
News Britain, EU at odds over timing of divorce talks 12 min Salem 2
News Chicago Reacts to Orlando Shooting 19 min Houston 12
News Anti-gay parents compare LGBT student group at ... 19 min Howie 26
Is Fa-Foxy a Catholic? 25 min kittyboi 381
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 1 hr Nopal 593
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 1 hr OK Barry 899
More from around the web