How DOMA Affects Military Families

How DOMA Affects Military Families

There are 9 comments on the www.freedomtomarry.org story from Nov 11, 2012, titled How DOMA Affects Military Families. In it, www.freedomtomarry.org reports that:

Gay and lesbian service members risk their lives to protect ours while their families are denied the critical protections of marriage because of DOMA. DOMA prevents the federal government from respecting the legal marriages of same-sex couples and forces the military to treat married gay and lesbian service members and veterans and their families differently than it treats all other service members and their families. Watch the Video.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.freedomtomarry.org.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#2 Nov 11, 2012
Caleb wrote:
Sodomy is *NOT* the basis of family. US Census data prove that few American homes are shared by the same gender, much less by homosexuals.
The entire article is based on cruel lies.
Do you really think that the good old Missionary Position is the only basis of family for straights? Sex is not the basis of a relationship. Love is the basic reason people get married, or should be. Sex is just a by-product. Sex can be had anywhere, any time. Sex, children, home and all the other things are a product of the love two people share. In fact, sex is sometimes not even a component of a marriage, and yet the two people are still a family. Although, I have to admit people do get married for other reasons. You know, like you did.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#3 Nov 11, 2012
The use of the story of Sodom to label a sex act is a good example of a misinterpretation and misapplication of biblical verses to demonize, dehumanize, and harm others, resulting in needless suffering and death.

"The primarily sexual meaning of the word sodomia for Christians did not evolve before the 6th century AD. Roman Emperor Justinian I, in his novels no. 77 (dating 538) and no. 141 (dating 559) amended to his Corpus iuris civilis, and declared that Sodom's sin had been specifically same-sex activities and desire for them. He also linked "famines, earthquakes, and pestilences" upon cities as being due to "such crimes", during a time of recent earthquakes and other disasters." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy

Sin of Sodom http://www.iwgonline.org/docs/sodom.html

There are about twenty references to the story of Sodom in the Bible, and none of them says homosexuality was the sin of Sodom. One of the most extensive references to Sodom is found in Ezekiel, which says,“This was the guilt of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty and did abominable things before me; therefore I removed them when I saw it.”(Ezekiel 16:49-50 (See note 5.)) It is clear from this passage (and others like it (See note 6.)) that the abomination of Sodom, according to the Old Testament prophets, was that they behaved with callous indifference toward the weak and vulnerable — the poor, orphans, widows, and strangers in their midst." http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.org/biblica...

The point of Sodom was that you should love others, not abuse them. It was about harming them instead of treating them the way you want to be treated. It was about how you treat "the stranger at the gate." It had nothing to do with loving same sex relationships based on mutual respect and love between adults.
john e

Geneseo, NY

#4 Nov 11, 2012
Caleb wrote:
Sodomy is *NOT* the basis of family. US Census data prove that few American homes are shared by the same gender, much less by homosexuals.
Nope, you're the one with the tired old, lame cruel lies. The only truth in your bible is "love others as I have loved you" , unconditionally. Take your judgement and gay sex fascination somewhere else.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5 Nov 11, 2012
Caleb wrote:
Ignorance is a horrible and deadly basis for a family, yet we allow you to breed.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Nov 11, 2012
And the Pekin troll takes over another topic......

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Nov 11, 2012
As for DOMA affecting military families-

Housing, healthcare, pay & allowances, retirement, death benefits, etc, are ALL tied to marital status.

Repealing DOMA will be a HUGE boost for same-sex military families. I only wish I were still on active duty to see the first same-sex couples moving into on-base housing!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#8 Nov 11, 2012
Caleb wrote:
The entire article is based on the idea that a family who sacrificed for this country shouldn't be treated differently because they're on yours or someone else's personal and private no-no list.

But I know goatboy will always be baaa-ck
david traversa

San Miguel De Tucuman, Argentina

#9 Nov 11, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorance is a horrible and deadly basis for a family, yet we allow you to breed.
Truer words were never spoken.. Like the great Oscar Wilde said: "The only sin is STUPIDITY."

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#10 Nov 11, 2012
Caleb wrote:
LOL.

You are so predictable, David. On a thread about marriage and military families, YOUR mind is filled with images of anal sex.

What the heck is wrong with you?

Does your brain contain ANYTHING but gay sexual fantasies?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News a No Gays Allowed,a Grainger County store owner... 10 min Jesus 18
News Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay mar... 14 min NorCal Native 128
News An East Tennessee store owner put up a 'No Gays... 16 min WalkyTalky 77
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 17 min NorCal Native 173
News Polygamous Montana trio applies for wedding lic... 18 min WalkyTalky 57
News Conservative churches confront new reality on g... 19 min NorCal Native 46
News Kentucky couples sue clerk who won't issue gay ... 33 min Read the constitu... 6
News 'You can't have marriage equality without polyg... 2 hr KirkW 28
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 5 hr NorCal Native 7,015
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 8 hr This And That 425
More from around the web