Patrick Leahy Pledges Support To End ...

Patrick Leahy Pledges Support To End Gay Marriage Ban DOMA

There are 61 comments on the www.ontopmag.com story from Feb 28, 2011, titled Patrick Leahy Pledges Support To End Gay Marriage Ban DOMA. In it, www.ontopmag.com reports that:

Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy will join California Senator Dianne Feinstein in an effort to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.

After President Obama announced he would no longer defend the Clinton-era law that bans federal agencies from recognizing the legal marriages of gay and lesbian couples and allows states to ignore such marriages, New York Representative Jerrold Nadler urged Democrats to support his bill that would repeal the law. The repeal measure was introduced with little fanfare in 2009 in the House, where it rounded up 100 co-sponsors in its first 30 days. It ultimately lost steam when it failed to attract a Senate sponsor.

Feinstein on Thursday announced she would carry the measure in the Senate.

On Friday, Leahy told constituents that he would join the effort.

“As a Vermonter who has been married for 48 years, I believe it is important to encourage and to sanction committed relationships; relationships that encourage us all to give back to our community; and relationships that complete our lives. Vermont led the way by being the first state to adopt a same-sex marriage law through a legislative process. Now that several states that have voted to give full marriage rights to same-sex couples, I believe that the Federal government should not interfere with those laws or discriminate between marriages sanctioned by State law,” Leahy wrote in an email to supporters first published at the website JoeMyGod.blogspot.com.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.ontopmag.com.

Mona Lott

Jackson, NJ

#42 Mar 15, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll go you one better, you prove that God doesn't exist.
That's an easy one.....

God...if you are listening.... send Pastor Billy Joe Bob Hickville to college and get him some book learnin'. We pray that you rise him up out of the ignorance he was done borned into. And give him some teeth. We heard that 10% of kentucky have zero teeth. Surely you could dig up some of them there gold streets in heaven to pay for a pair of dentures for him.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#43 Mar 15, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
< And you act like life is a Chinese takeout, " I'll have some of column A, and some of column C, but I don't like what's in column B, so I'll avoid that. Doesn't work for the Bible. It's all or nothing.
Are you planning ham for Easter dinner?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#44 Mar 16, 2011
StevenFL wrote:
It is completely possible that this will pass the Senate, however I think it would die in the House of Representatives, where the democrats are in the minority.
Even if it does not work out, it is shedding a national spotlight on a very real and serious issue of internalized discrimination, of which will need to be dealt with eventually. It is purely against the Full Faith and Credit Clause, a gay couple's 5th Amendment rights of taking the 5th in court to defend one's same sex partner, and the 14th amendment.....
DISCRIMINATION IS NOT A BAD THING NECESSARILY. IT LETS US KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG.

Location hidden

#45 Mar 16, 2011
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an easy one.....
God...if you are listening.... send Pastor Billy Joe Bob Hickville to college and get him some book learnin'. We pray that you rise him up out of the ignorance he was done borned into. And give him some teeth. We heard that 10% of kentucky have zero teeth. Surely you could dig up some of them there gold streets in heaven to pay for a pair of dentures for him.
That's Reverend Doctor William to you. I am originally from Washington D.C. and am proud owner of my teeth, and unlike your sarcastic self, my wits. Looks like you messed up again, poor sexual choices, and poor choices of targets.

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

#46 Mar 16, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
DISCRIMINATION IS NOT A BAD THING NECESSARILY. IT LETS US KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG.
Oh, I see...... So, discrimination against blacks was a good thing, as was discrimination against women and not giving them the right to vote? Okay, thanks for clarifying.

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#47 Mar 16, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this straight (no pun intended)in my mind. You have children. Did you teach them about Jesus? Did you tell them that although you love them, what you do if you have sex with another woman is immoral, against society, and the demands of an Almighty God? Or are you the biggest hypocrite of all? The bible says" Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it". Was your example right? I won't decide for you, but try some introspection. If you come to a conclusion, please share it with this thread.
It’s only immoral in your world. You keep discrimination alive with your preaching. Each person will be judged on what they individually have done and how that individual treated His children. God doesn’t care about who you think is or was immoral because that does not make you a better person or get you extra heaven points. Worry about your own hide because that is what’s going to be judged and not what others did.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#48 Mar 16, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
Good to know, then we can discriminate against all you religious freaks since you're obviously WRONG about everything.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#49 Mar 16, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
Discrimination is ALWAYS a bad thing, and goes directly against Jesus commandment to love thy neighbor as God has loved you.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#50 Mar 16, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
That's Reverend Doctor William to you...
Religious Wacko Nutjob would be more accurate.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Westland , MI

#51 Mar 16, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious Wacko Nutjob would be more accurate.
Or perhaps closed-minded would be the best description.
Mona Lott

Jackson, NJ

#52 Mar 16, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
That's Reverend Doctor William to you. I am originally from Washington D.C. and am proud owner of my teeth, and unlike your sarcastic self, my wits. Looks like you messed up again, poor sexual choices, and poor choices of targets.
Nope. I don't call any man Reverend. Especially YOU. You're about as far from being Reverend as Kentucky is from being civilized.
You don't know anything about my "choices" you sactimonius half-wit.

Location hidden

#53 Mar 16, 2011
StevenFL wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see...... So, discrimination against blacks was a good thing, as was discrimination against women and not giving them the right to vote? Okay, thanks for clarifying.
Do you ever look for words meaning's meanings in the dictionary? To discriminate is to tell a difference. You just knee-jerk a reaction without considering a meaning. Certainly racial discrimination for its own sake is wrong. But I think use of your mind to judge what is right and wrong is a form of discrimination in its purest sense.

“I am happy”

St. Petersburg, FL

#54 Mar 16, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you ever look for words meaning's meanings in the dictionary? To discriminate is to tell a difference. You just knee-jerk a reaction without considering a meaning. Certainly racial discrimination for its own sake is wrong. But I think use of your mind to judge what is right and wrong is a form of discrimination in its purest sense.
If there is one thing I never do is knee jerk on anything, although this may happen sooner for some then others. I think things through and with you, I have done this, however I am beginning to conclude things about you in our brief interaction. What those things are will be revealed eventually.
Mona Lott

Jackson, NJ

#55 Mar 16, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
Your lack of education is showing. I think the word you are looking for is "discernment" NOT discrimination. Discrimination means any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.

Location hidden

#56 Mar 19, 2011
Gay Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Discrimination is ALWAYS a bad thing, and goes directly against Jesus commandment to love thy neighbor as God has loved you.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Westland , MI

#57 Mar 20, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
Guess you don't have a rebuttal. That is what you do in a debate. Your citations have nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#58 Mar 20, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
you shoud have continued reading...
Romans 2 wrote:
1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2 Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3 So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment? 4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#59 Mar 20, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing here about gay folks at all.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#60 Mar 20, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
You certainly can't "give up" somehting you weren't born with.

Only a heterosexual could be said to "give up natural relations" with the opposite gender. For a gay person, it's not something one "gives ip", and it is never unnatural to fall in love with the same gender. That the definition of being gay, and it is a God-given trait.

Twisting scripture to suit your own ignorance is never a wise choice.

All you need to do is start with the facts, and work from there. If your personal beliefs don't agree with the facts, then, they are misguided.

God didn't create us to be fools, you know. We have minds, and the ability to reason FOR a reason.

“I am happy”

St. Petersburg, FL

#61 Mar 20, 2011
I think there were far more things in the bible about adultery, being a judgmental old prick, and living a life of greed...... but hey, that is just what I took from it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Louisville Video-Game Artist Brings LGBTQ Chara... 1 min Politically Incor... 4
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 8 min Rose_NoHo 340
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 9 min Rose_NoHo 44,075
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 45 min Rose_NoHo 24,001
News UNC president: Job candidates say no, citing ba... 1 hr Frogface Kate 25
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr suzuki 4,986
Why Are We Being Forced To Accept Homosexuality? (Feb '12) 3 hr Rose_NoHo 953
News Trump's victory has unleashed a wave of same-se... 4 hr Holy Guacamole 10
More from around the web