Michigan Senate Committee Passes Religious Discrimination Bill

Nov 29, 2012 | Posted by: Sei | Full story: lezgetreal.com

In a push to extend discrimination in the name of religious freedom to ridiculous levels, the Michigan Senate Committee on Health Policy passed SB 975. This would allow healthcare professionals to discriminate against a patient or coworker solely based “on religious beliefs, moral convictions or ethical principles sincerely held by an individual or entity.” The bill is the latest to make it legal in Michigan to discriminate against an individual on religious or moral grounds, and could lead to problems for not only the LGBT Community, but for many other groups as well.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Nov 30, 2012

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#2 Nov 29, 2012
It is my deeply held moral conviction that christians are evil and I will deny services to them.
Christina

Mesa, AZ

#3 Nov 29, 2012
What a load of garbage. Let me put aside my possibly life saving skills and turn my back on someone so they can die just because I don't agree with their beliefs or sexuality? Such the Christ like thing to do. Hypocritical bigots

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#6 Nov 29, 2012
no problem... i don't morally agreewih christians an now i will openly discriminat against them

“MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN”

Since: Nov 12

Avon, Co

#7 Nov 29, 2012
LMAO

Idiot bigoted Christians at work again not realizing anyone can claim to be any religion with any view and decide to refuse treatment of a six year old christian child!

The USSC will ban this insane unconstitutional law next week but the attempt to mix Church and State is getting so silly, the time the government informs the people of the reality there is no life after this one has come. Time to find a better way of mind control for these peasants.

“MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN”

Since: Nov 12

Avon, Co

#8 Nov 29, 2012
I hereby call on all Satanists and others who cannot stand Christians to take good advantage of this religious law until it is overturned by the USSC. You go and use your Religious rights too!

NO JOKE.

“MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN”

Since: Nov 12

Avon, Co

#9 Nov 29, 2012
Lililth_Satans_Bore wrote:
no problem... i don't morally agreewih christians an now i will openly discriminat against them
Good for you. We all have a responsibility now to stand against these insane bigoted people.

Christians? Yeah right.

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#10 Nov 29, 2012
when i grow up i wanna be christian... so i too will know how to hate

“MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN”

Since: Nov 12

Avon, Co

#11 Nov 29, 2012
Let it be written and let it be done!

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#12 Nov 29, 2012
Queen Elizabeth 1st wrote:
I hereby call on all Satanists and others who cannot stand Christians to take good advantage of this religious law until it is overturned by the USSC. You go and use your Religious rights too!
NO JOKE.
i agree as a practicing devout satanist i have a moral right to refuse service of any kind to a christian including life saving medical needs... it just plain violates my moral code.... given im a stripper and hooker i no longer feel any need morally to tell a married christian man that i have genital herpes... now they and their wife do as well... oh well

“MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN”

Since: Nov 12

Avon, Co

#13 Nov 29, 2012
Lililth_Satans_Bore wrote:
<quoted text>i agree as a practicing devout satanist i have a moral right to refuse service of any kind to a christian including life saving medical needs... it just plain violates my moral code.... given im a stripper and hooker i no longer feel any need morally to tell a married christian man that i have genital herpes... now they and their wife do as well... oh well
I agree with you. You have every right to practice your Religion as they do and as how you see fit. You are protect by the Constitution and also this new idiot law in MI but do so quickly because you know the USSC will overturn such an insane law made up by and for right wing christian nuts.

I'm an Atheists but I have friends who are Satanists, Wicca and other non Christians and they are more peaceful and even about things. I don't now a lot about Satanism since it has different branches like Christianity has different branches however; those I know, don't technically believe in a Satan but consider themselves Satanists while some Satanist might worship a Satan and either is fine with me. Wiccans are similar. Some only practice so called light magic while others practice without a three fold theory.

As you know, right wing christians are in fact the cause of all real evil. There are some accepting christians who would not mind if anyone showed up and sat next to them in a service and went home for dinner with them but you know the kind like Pat Robertson, Ryan, Mitty and that breed. They call Satanists evil when they are evil.

“MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN”

Since: Nov 12

Avon, Co

#14 Nov 29, 2012
BTW, prostitution should be legal in all States for the simple real reason it is a business and to have a law against what people can do with their own body is unconstitutional. Drugs should be legalized as well like in Portugal where the drug addiction rate went down when it was as well as violence.

Legalize prostitution as a legal business at a small tax and then people are less likely to end up with someone mean and hateful to abuse them and take half the money. Taxes for prostitution should go towards Social Security and all the other benefits of any business for old age or disability. imo

The idiot Christians forget what Jesus said about the prostitute when he protected her from the right wing nuts. He said let ye without sin cast the first stone as they were going to stone her to death. Everyone drops stones and walked away. Had I been him, I would have sent bolts of lightning down on them but he is or was kinder than I am in that regard lol

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#16 Nov 30, 2012
Morals and religion have little to do with each other with the exception of a few radicals most doctors and insurance companies as a whole will find this discriminatory policy not meet to there own morals. This is just more BS for the extreme right wing to get attention
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Nov 30, 2012
F Michigan..its No wonder the state in falling to pieces....Under the GOP BS....AVoid MI. like the plague of hate and bigotry it is....

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#18 Nov 30, 2012
In addition to the list Planned Parenthood came up with, I think it might allow a doctor to continue to try to keep a comatose or Alzheimer's patient alive even if they have a DNR order. That is very scary. Hopefully the law will be ruled unconstitutional.

Of course, they will get it thrown in their face when a nurse or personal care attendant refuses to minister to the needs of a patient of the opposite sex because the caregiver's MUSLIM religion allegedly forbids it.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Nov 30, 2012
disgusted american wrote:
F Michigan..its No wonder the state in falling to pieces....Under the GOP BS....AVoid MI. like the plague of hate and bigotry it is....
Don't confuse the GOP in Michigan with the people of Michigan. While they may not all support abortion or marriage equality, most of my fellow residents would NEVER consider discriminating against someone in their business practice, and certainly not their patients.

I go to the local catholic owned hospital (St.Joseph's) and they've never treated me any different than any other patient. My husband is even listed as my spouse in their computer records. Of course we have p.o.a & healthcare proxy etc just in case, but we've never experienced any discrimination.

This is just more misguided pandering to the few religious freaks who still control the GOP.
Jim

Rochester, NY

#20 Nov 30, 2012
Queen Elizabeth 1st wrote:
LMAO
Idiot bigoted Christians at work again not realizing anyone can claim to be any religion with any view and decide to refuse treatment of a six year old christian child!
The USSC will ban this insane unconstitutional law next week but the attempt to mix Church and State is getting so silly, the time the government informs the people of the reality there is no life after this one has come. Time to find a better way of mind control for these peasants.
You hit the nail on the head! The entire purpose of manipulating kristyans into hysterical fear of the "other" is to distract them while the upper class funnels all the country's resources into their own pockets while laughing at their victims. Napoleon said, "Religion is the only thing that keeps the poor from murdering the rich." He was right. Of course in the 1700's people woke up and threw off the upper classes. Liberte, egalite and fraternite! It didn't last long though.
Jim

Rochester, NY

#21 Nov 30, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't confuse the GOP in Michigan with the people of Michigan. While they may not all support abortion or marriage equality, most of my fellow residents would NEVER consider discriminating against someone in their business practice, and certainly not their patients.
I go to the local catholic owned hospital (St.Joseph's) and they've never treated me any different than any other patient. My husband is even listed as my spouse in their computer records. Of course we have p.o.a & healthcare proxy etc just in case, but we've never experienced any discrimination.
This is just more misguided pandering to the few religious freaks who still control the GOP.
This may be true, but the people of Michigan are the ones who keep voting the xenophobic Republicans into office. If their hearts were pure their votes would show it. In some places that showed up in this election. In others it didn't. While no Catholic hospital would ever treat a couple like sub-humans don't try your luck at a Baptist one down south.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Nov 30, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
It is my deeply held moral conviction that christians are evil and I will deny services to them.
Exactly; I don't understand why people don't point this out far, far, far more often. You could let them die in a gutter of blood loss because they're "filth" and you don't want to touch them -- based in beliefs MORALLY held on a basis enshrined, by 2012,*as you witness* how they treat other groups.

I don't understand why people are such endlessly childish, babyish scumbags but if they really are so possessed by demons that they can't stop, then the LAW must stop them from doing this. Or else sue and b-a-n-k-r-u-p-t them, and I do mean *BANKRUPT* them to indigence, the moment their decision affects the health of anyone they refused to treat.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#23 Nov 30, 2012
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
This may be true, but the people of Michigan are the ones who keep voting the xenophobic Republicans into office. If their hearts were pure their votes would show it. In some places that showed up in this election. In others it didn't. While no Catholic hospital would ever treat a couple like sub-humans don't try your luck at a Baptist one down south.
That's why I no longer travel below the Manson-Nixon line into the Confederacy. It's simply not safe for gays, lesbians, blacks, hispanics, asians, jews, catholics, etc, etc, etc.

While idiot voters put the republicans in charge in Michigan, it was more for fiscal & economic reasons. Of course the GOPasaurs can't help but overreach on the social issues. It will come back to bite them in the next election, just as it did in Minnesota where the GOPasaurs lost both the House & Senate because they focused on their marriage ban instead of fixing their budget issues.

I live outide a small town in rural Michigan, and I've NEVER felt unsafe or experienced direct discrimination in the 10+ years I've lived here. Besided our local catholic hospital, my local State Farm Insurance agent gives us the married discount on our auto insurance as well.

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#24 Nov 30, 2012
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
This may be true, but the people of Michigan are the ones who keep voting the xenophobic Republicans into office. If their hearts were pure their votes would show it. In some places that showed up in this election. In others it didn't. While no Catholic hospital would ever treat a couple like sub-humans don't try your luck at a Baptist one down south.
I don't know where you herd that nonsense and you cant get more south of the Mason Dixon than I am I haven't herd or seen any negativity about the baptist hospital here with the gay community

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 10 min the real Jonah1 49,471
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 12 min dduttonnc 387
Biggest Gay Lies 15 min Frankie Rizzo 1,619
Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense 19 min RalphB 83
California Takes a Stand Against Gay and Trans ... 43 min Frankie Rizzo 7
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 55 min Frankie Rizzo 504
Residents see Europe best for gays and lesbians... 1 hr TomInElPaso 28
Judge critical of states defending gay marriage... 1 hr concersuxs 63
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 3 hr Reverend Alan 54,845
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••