Putin tells gay visitors to 'leave th...

Putin tells gay visitors to 'leave the children in peace' at Sochi

There are 17 comments on the CBC News story from Jan 17, 2014, titled Putin tells gay visitors to 'leave the children in peace' at Sochi. In it, CBC News reports that:

Russian President Vladimir Putin, shown here Moscow in Dec. 19, 2013, said Friday that that gays visiting Sochi for the Olympic Winter Games "can feel calm and at ease," but emphasized that they cannot express their views on gay rights issues to anyone underage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“Where's my fairy wand!”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

#1 Jan 17, 2014
The logical solution then would be for every underage person to write their age on the forehead in 1 inch tall letters so there can be no mistakes.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Jan 17, 2014
PUTIN caught homophobia from Scott Lively; the head cheese on the SPLC's anti-gay terrorist list

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#3 Jan 17, 2014
I wonder if Russian TV will broadcast any interviews with athletes who may be gay, and may make statements contrary to Russian law. Sticky situation.
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#4 Jan 17, 2014
It must be insipiring for Russian idiots to know that they too can be elected President of Russia. Who says Russia isn't an equal opportunity nation?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#5 Jan 17, 2014
Gremlin wrote:
It must be insipiring for Russian idiots to know that they too can be elected President of Russia. Who says Russia isn't an equal opportunity nation?
Putin has returned Russia to the same corrupt cult of personality that characterized the USSR. It's a shame.

Reagan's great accomplishment has come to naught.
Jesus Latter Day Faints

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Jan 17, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Reagan's great accomplishment has come to naught.
Ha ha! Jesus Christ! Reagan.
Jesus Latter Day Faints

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Jan 17, 2014
It shouldn't be necessary to point out how inane that is, because if you speak about glbt repression in Russia in any sort of public way there are bound to be minors in that public audience.

Putin plays word games almost as well as US politicians, spies and fundies do.
david traversa

Martinez, Argentina

#9 Jan 17, 2014
Thanks to Putin and Co. Russian children now know more about homosexuality than they ever did .. Nothing like forbidding something to make it doubly attractive , as we very well know ..
Angel

Ontario, CA

#10 Jan 17, 2014
Putin, Do you think there is no gay children?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#11 Jan 17, 2014
Angel wrote:
Putin, Do you think there is no gay children?
His reason is two fold. One, people are not born gay. Two, gay people can convert those who are not gay to being gay. Well, that, and he needs a scapegoat.

I'm not agreeing mind you, just musing.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12 Jan 17, 2014
Angel wrote:
Putin, Do you think there is no gay children?
That's precisely what he thinks.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#13 Jan 17, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Putin has returned Russia to the same corrupt cult of personality that characterized the USSR. It's a shame.
Reagan's great accomplishment has come to naught.
And for centuries before that, Jeff.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#14 Jan 19, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
And for centuries before that, Jeff.
Why hasn't Putin been arrested and charged under the law he defends?

He sure is violating it with his public statements!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#15 Jan 19, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Why hasn't Putin been arrested and charged under the law he defends?
He sure is violating it with his public statements!
Surely you're joking.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#16 Jan 19, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely you're joking.
not joking and not naive as you well know.

Putin suffers from P.A.D.D. as do most Russians or anyone else who favor this law.

If speaking out opposing the law exposes children to subjects that the law prohibits, then surly speaking out in favor of laws that prohibit the subject is a criminal offense.

Remember we are talking about SPEECH not intent.

(DNF gratefully accepts the Topix Bazinga award of 2013.)

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#18 Jan 19, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>not joking and not naive as you well know.
Putin suffers from P.A.D.D. as do most Russians or anyone else who favor this law.
If speaking out opposing the law exposes children to subjects that the law prohibits, then surly speaking out in favor of laws that prohibit the subject is a criminal offense.
Remember we are talking about SPEECH not intent.
(DNF gratefully accepts the Topix Bazinga award of 2013.)
You seem to have confused Russia with a different country--one ruled by laws.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#19 Jan 19, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>not joking and not naive as you well know.
Putin suffers from P.A.D.D. as do most Russians or anyone else who favor this law.
If speaking out opposing the law exposes children to subjects that the law prohibits, then surly speaking out in favor of laws that prohibit the subject is a criminal offense.
Remember we are talking about SPEECH not intent.
(DNF gratefully accepts the Topix Bazinga award of 2013.)
Russians are deficient in the capacity to discern moral distinctions. It goes with their religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 min Wondering 52,172
News Charlize Theron admits to taking 'a dip in the ... 16 min Wondering 18
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 30 min barry 6,990
News Study: 12,000 acts of condomless gay sex, 0 HIV... 38 min Johnny 6
News This Gay Man Wants to End Texas' War Against LG... 1 hr Tre H 27
News Copy-Illinois employees under investigation for... 4 hr Wondering 4
News Dear Abby: Mixed messages from mom have teen lo... 6 hr Dugan 1
News Blood donation rules relaxed for gay men and se... 8 hr Howser 30
News Gay couple grilled by judge about their sex liv... 17 hr TomInElPaso 108
News Catholic church in Cambuslang praised for issui... 23 hr Palin s Turkey Th... 3
More from around the web