Judge strikes down Michigan ban on ga...

Judge strikes down Michigan ban on gay marriage

There are 43 comments on the ABC15.com story from Mar 21, 2014, titled Judge strikes down Michigan ban on gay marriage. In it, ABC15.com reports that:

A judge has struck down Michigan's ban on gay marriage, the latest in a series of decisions overturning similar laws across the country.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC15.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#1 Mar 21, 2014
Way to go Michigan!!!

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#3 Mar 21, 2014
Doyle wrote:
Another state flushed down the toilet.
Where will you live when ALL 50 states grant that right? I've heard that there are some nice Countries that believe as you do.......lol!!!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Mar 21, 2014
The judge HAMMERED the state "experts", especially Regnerus, saying his testimony was-

".....entirely unbelievable and not worthy of serious consideration".

And as for the results of Regnerus' study-

"The funding source clearly wanted a certain result and Regnerus obliged".

OUCH!!!!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#5 Mar 21, 2014
The judge also shredded the state's 4 reasons for the ban:

-Optimal environment (for raising kids)
-Proceeding with caution
-Tradition & morality
-Federalism

His conclusion says it all:

"In attempting to define this case as a challenge to 'the will of the people', state defendants lost sight of what this case is truly about: people."

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Mar 21, 2014
It was well worth the 2 week trial and additional 2 week wait for a ruling.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#7 Mar 21, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
The judge HAMMERED the state "experts", especially Regnerus, saying his testimony was-
".....entirely unbelievable and not worthy of serious consideration".
And as for the results of Regnerus' study-
"The funding source clearly wanted a certain result and Regnerus obliged".
OUCH!!!!
I hadn't seen details before I read this. YOU are great; thank you for these updates that allow a bit of detail to flesh out the story when a person might be so busy that they cannot delve for themselves.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#8 Mar 21, 2014
hi hi wrote:
<quoted text>
I hadn't seen details before I read this. YOU are great; thank you for these updates that allow a bit of detail to flesh out the story when a person might be so busy that they cannot delve for themselves.
Here is a great place to read what is happening with all of the current Marriage fights:
http://equalityontrial.com/
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#9 Mar 21, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a great place to read what is happening with all of the current Marriage fights:
http://equalityontrial.com/
Thank you, thank you, thank you ..

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#10 Mar 21, 2014
david traversa wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you, thank you, thank you ..
You're welcome:-)

I go there a lot to check in on what's happening and the discussions are more engaging:-)

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#11 Mar 21, 2014
WOO-HOO !:) FULLY HOMOSEXUALIZING AMERICA one state at a time ! "THE PLAN" is working !:)

(with apologies to felon Pete McGowan).

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#12 Mar 21, 2014
I see the State of Michigan is under the impression that because SCOTUS stayed the ruling in the Utah case that this is a signal that the High Court will overturn the Federal Court's ruling and that's NOT what that should signal.......and all the other reasons for an emergency stay are truly IRRELEVANT even though it is likely that they will get their Stay!!!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#13 Mar 21, 2014
GAY MARRIAGE STATES AS OF 03-21-14

STATE POP

CA 38,332,521

CT 3,596,080

DE 925,749

DC 646,449

HI 1,404,054

IL 12,882,135

Iowa 3,090,416

Maine 1,328,302

MD 5,928,814

MA 6,692,824

Mich. 9,895,622

Minn. 5,420,380

NH 1,323,459

NJ 8,899,339

NM 2,085,287

NY 19,651,127

RI 1,051,511

VT 626,630

WA 6,971,406
__________
130,752,105

U.S. POP = 316,128,839

PERCENTAGE OF AMERICANS LIVING IN STATES WITH MARRIAGE EQUALITY = 41.3 %

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#14 Mar 21, 2014
My, how the tables have turned.
Fundies R Mentally Eel

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Mar 21, 2014
Doyle wrote:
Another state flushed down the toilet.
Why don't you make it appear as though you live somewhere other than NY, probably the most important marriage equality state after MA?

Make ur planz to mov to Iran, Jethro. That country isn't flushed down the equality toilet...by your reckoning.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#16 Mar 21, 2014
Doyle wrote:
Another state flushed down the toilet.
Michigan?

You heteros have been doing that pretty nicely LONG before we ever started asking for Civil Marriage Equality.

How many Fed bailouts has it been so far?

Isn't the City of Detroit in receivership?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Mar 22, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
I see the State of Michigan is under the impression that because SCOTUS stayed the ruling in the Utah case that this is a signal that the High Court will overturn the Federal Court's ruling and that's NOT what that should signal.......and all the other reasons for an emergency stay are truly IRRELEVANT even though it is likely that they will get their Stay!!!
Clerk's offices are issuing marriage licenses this morning before any stay comes down from the 6th circuit or the SCOTUS.

It's basically a repeat of Utah.

And I'm sure our jackass AG will refuse to recognize those marriages too, and we'll court to court as well.

The moron AG already tried to order county clerks not to issue marriage licenses, but the clerks pointed out in court that he doesn't have that authority!

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#18 Mar 22, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Clerk's offices are issuing marriage licenses this morning before any stay comes down from the 6th circuit or the SCOTUS.
It's basically a repeat of Utah.
And I'm sure our jackass AG will refuse to recognize those marriages too, and we'll court to court as well.
The moron AG already tried to order county clerks not to issue marriage licenses, but the clerks pointed out in court that he doesn't have that authority!
I believe you are correct, but just because a stay has been issued...it SHOULDN'T be a signal that the Judge's ruling will be reversed or overturned......and this idiot has gone to Law school......and has a license to practice law........pathetic!!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#19 Mar 22, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you are correct, but just because a stay has been issued...it SHOULDN'T be a signal that the Judge's ruling will be reversed or overturned......and this idiot has gone to Law school......and has a license to practice law........pathetic!!
So did one of our famous Presidents go to law school, but when asked "Is the DADT legislation you just gleefully signed into law moral and constitutional ?" he famously replied: "Well, it depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#20 Mar 22, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you are correct, but just because a stay has been issued...it SHOULDN'T be a signal that the Judge's ruling will be reversed or overturned......and this idiot has gone to Law school......and has a license to practice law........pathetic!!
I think the stays are being issued just to slow things down a bit, rather than on any normal justification for a stay- i.e. success on appeal, harm to the party, etc. There's no real point in appealing a case like this without a stay, because the state would have to issue marriage licenses during the years the appellate process normally takes, and all those marriages would be legal regardless of the outcome of the appeal.

So as frustrating as it is, I always fully expected a stay in all these marriage cases if the ruling is appealed by the state.

That said, our moronic AG has GOT to go this November. Hopefully this will help the Dems take back control of the state legislature.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#21 Mar 22, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the stays are being issued just to slow things down a bit, rather than on any normal justification for a stay- i.e. success on appeal, harm to the party, etc. There's no real point in appealing a case like this without a stay, because the state would have to issue marriage licenses during the years the appellate process normally takes, and all those marriages would be legal regardless of the outcome of the appeal.
So as frustrating as it is, I always fully expected a stay in all these marriage cases if the ruling is appealed by the state.
That said, our moronic AG has GOT to go this November. Hopefully this will help the Dems take back control of the state legislature.
Well, I DON'T believe these appeals will be taking "YEARS" to hear and resolve.....in fact I believe that these cases will move rather quickly and be in front of SCOTUS by early next year or the following year!!!

I believe that a stay should ONLY be issued if the guidelines can be met or proven.....otherwise, what's the point of having them in the first place?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 31 min Ismail 955
At what age were you born queer? 52 min Frankie Rizzo 9
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 68,801
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 2 hr guest 157
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 hr who cares 13,169
News The anti-Nadler landslide 3 hr Fundies R Mentall... 4
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr GayleWood 37,409
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 8 hr WasteWater 991
More from around the web