LGBTs Share Home Front Stories from WWII

LGBTs Share Home Front Stories from WWII

There are 6 comments on the EDGE story from Jun 28, 2014, titled LGBTs Share Home Front Stories from WWII. In it, EDGE reports that:

LGBTs and allies gathered recently at the Rosie the Riveter museum and included, from left, Bev Hickok, a "Rosie"; her caretaker, Hannah Martine; Selwyn Jones, who served as army intelligence in WWII; historian Donna Graves; park ranger Elizabeth Tucker; Jeffery Dickemann, who served as a WAC in WWII; and historian and photographer Cathy Cade It ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

juls

Edison, OH

#1 Jun 28, 2014
There are many more untold stories of the men and women in the services and of the support peoples outside of the services. Many of my friends have now died but I remember them with quiet gratitude. It is shameful that this portion of the American Grief Story is untold and the damage inflicted by an intolerant and bigoted society. In the name of religious morality and it's detrimental affect on society then and NOW.

I see no virtue in the ongoing unchecked mistreatment of individuals in a reprehensible web of greed, corruption, chicanery, egotism, collusion, and incorrigible pseudo-religious and profit driven politics of such organizations and individuals.. They duped America and the world to think there way was the way. They have not lived our lives or tolerated us to live lives different than them. That is why I sponsor ACTBLUE and the President; he has a vision that is mostly inclusive

VOTE, ACTIVATE and ENGAGE yourself and others we must defeat BIGRED.

HEART>

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#2 Jun 28, 2014
The writer claims that "somehow little is known about life for LGBTs on the home front during World War II." That may be true for someone who doesn't attempt to do any research, even of the most cursory kind. Allan Berube's "Coming Out Under Fire: The History of Gay Men and Women in World War Two," about the LGBT experience fighting in WWII and on the homefront, was published way back in 1990 and won the Lambda Literary Award. That book was made into a documentary that won a Peabody Award. There's also Vincent Cianni's new "Gays in the Military", Randy Shilts' "Conduct Unbecoming", Michael Bronski's "Queer History of the United States", John Loughery's "The Other Side of Silence", and David Johnson's "The Lavender Scare", which includes a discussion about the effects of WWII policies on the post-war purge of gays and lesbians from the government.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jun 28, 2014
Jerald wrote:
The writer claims that "somehow little is known about life for LGBTs on the home front during World War II." That may be true for someone who doesn't attempt to do any research, even of the most cursory kind. Allan Berube's "Coming Out Under Fire: The History of Gay Men and Women in World War Two," about the LGBT experience fighting in WWII and on the homefront, was published way back in 1990 and won the Lambda Literary Award. That book was made into a documentary that won a Peabody Award. There's also Vincent Cianni's new "Gays in the Military", Randy Shilts' "Conduct Unbecoming", Michael Bronski's "Queer History of the United States", John Loughery's "The Other Side of Silence", and David Johnson's "The Lavender Scare", which includes a discussion about the effects of WWII policies on the post-war purge of gays and lesbians from the government.
You forgot the compilations edited by the Rev. Boyd McDonald, which has a good deal of information about WWII era goings on.

And your forgetting of it certainly shows where _your_ mind is at.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#4 Jun 28, 2014
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot the compilations edited by the Rev. Boyd McDonald, which has a good deal of information about WWII era goings on.
And your forgetting of it certainly shows where _your_ mind is at.
I didn't forget them, since I had never heard of it. And after Googling him, I still wouldn't include him. A compilation of fringe stories mixing fact, fiction, fantasy, and erotica hardly constitutes historiography.

It shows where YOUR mind is, however.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Jun 28, 2014
Jerald wrote:
<quoted text>
It shows where YOUR mind is, however.
No kidding.

And Bronski, to take one, is not dismissive of erotic histories.(And the older recollections, the WWII era ones, would be less likely to be fabricated, being pre performance art and internetz art and all, than would the post WWII stories, imo.)
Belle Sexton

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Jun 28, 2014
juls wrote:
There are many more untold stories of the men and women in the services and of the support peoples outside of the services. Many of my friends have now died but I remember them with quiet gratitude. It is shameful that this portion of the American Grief Story is untold and the damage inflicted by an intolerant and bigoted society. In the name of religious morality and it's detrimental affect on society then and NOW.
I see no virtue in the ongoing unchecked mistreatment of individuals in a reprehensible web of greed, corruption, chicanery, egotism, collusion, and incorrigible pseudo-religious and profit-driven politics of such organizations and individuals.. They duped America and the world to think their way was the way. They have not lived our lives, nor tolerated us to live lives different than theirs. That is why I sponsor ACTBLUE and the President; he has a vision that is mostly inclusive
VOTE, ACTIVATE and ENGAGE yourself and others we must defeat BIGRED.
HEART>
Perfectly said !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pentagon Ends Transgender Ban 7 min Good Reverend 1
What happened two the NE Jade apology thread? 8 min SW Opel 2
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 9 min Rose_NoHo 37,391
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 11 min WasteWater 983
News New survey doubles the estimate of transgender ... 12 min Good Reverend 1
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... 15 min Rose_NoHo 44
Party 19 min Good Reverend 1
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 39 min george whyte 903
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 13,159
More from around the web