DC Comics Character to Come Out As Gay

May 21, 2012 | Posted by: Gay And Proud | Full story: www.seattlepi.com

DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio announced the plans over the weekend at Kapow Comic Convention in London, saying that the existing superhero who was previously assumed to be straight will be "one of our most prominent gay characters." He did not specify in which issue the reveal will occur.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Judged:

The most logical wedding would be Batman and Robin
We *all* know what goes on inside those batcaves
yes we do ;o))

Since: Jul 11

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Wonder Woman is the most logical character. She grew up on an island full of women. She has noticeable lack of interest in men. I would not be the least bit surprised if Wonder Woman were to develop a romantic relationship with a woman.

As for the assumptions about Batman and Robin, I have to say that it's a very titulating fantasy, but each of these characters have been shown to clearly be heterosexual, and one of the tenets that DC comics is saying is that this announcement will not retroactively change the character, but will be something that has always been a part of the character.

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

IrishmanLA wrote:
Wonder Woman is the most logical character. She grew up on an island full of women. She has noticeable lack of interest in men. I would not be the least bit surprised if Wonder Woman were to develop a romantic relationship with a woman.
As for the assumptions about Batman and Robin, I have to say that it's a very titulating fantasy, but each of these characters have been shown to clearly be heterosexual, and one of the tenets that DC comics is saying is that this announcement will not retroactively change the character, but will be something that has always been a part of the character.
The news item quotes DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio as saying that this big reveal will be for a character that was used before that was always previously assumed to be straight.

They used to say that they wouldn't switch a character from straight to gay, but this announcement indicates that they changed their policy. Having an existing character come out as gay would certainly have more impact than introducing a new character who happens to be gay.
Jasper

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

It's NOT going to be a name recognized by the average person, so definitely not Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. Also, the current Robin is Damian Wayne, Bruce's SON. Since last year's company wide reboot, Grayson/Nightwing has added another notch to the batarang at Haley's Circus, and Bruce and Selina were shown getting busy on a rooftop. I'm not sure about Jason Todd/Red Hood, but he's hanging with the newly dumbified space-bimbo Starfire, Grayson's alien ex; or Tim Drake in Tron Titans. Sorry, Teen Titans, which features a new character who is very openly out. Flamboyantly so, I hear.

Batwoman Kate Kane is still lesbian, although her ex Renee Montoya (Question II) has yet to appear beyond a photograph since the reboot. I expect this newly outed character to be either a D-Lister or a member of the new Earth2 JSA, where instead of the first generation of heroes from the 1940s, they are just being formed on that world. I flipped through the first issue and couldn't put it down fast enough!
KKKafeteria KKKristains

Souderton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

They're superheros. That means it will be the one you least suspect.

It's this way with high school athletes, too.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

IrishmanLA wrote:
LOL
The batcave represents the gay closet
When Batman and Robin come out of the batcave to combat crime; they put on their costumes and masks to hide their true identity
Exactly the same as a closeted gay person who hides his/her true sex orientation when he/she is interfacing with society

“Live and let live”

New Orleans

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Jasper wrote:
It's NOT going to be a name recognized by the average person, so definitely not Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. Also, the current Robin is Damian Wayne, Bruce's SON. Since last year's company wide reboot, Grayson/Nightwing has added another notch to the batarang at Haley's Circus, and Bruce and Selina were shown getting busy on a rooftop. I'm not sure about Jason Todd/Red Hood, but he's hanging with the newly dumbified space-bimbo Starfire, Grayson's alien ex; or Tim Drake in Tron Titans. Sorry, Teen Titans, which features a new character who is very openly out. Flamboyantly so, I hear.
Batwoman Kate Kane is still lesbian, although her ex Renee Montoya (Question II) has yet to appear beyond a photograph since the reboot. I expect this newly outed character to be either a D-Lister or a member of the new Earth2 JSA, where instead of the first generation of heroes from the 1940s, they are just being formed on that world. I flipped through the first issue and couldn't put it down fast enough!
I think it'd be an interesting if the character was Wonder Woman. Whatever they do, if they use an existing character I hope that maybe he or she comes out as bisexual (probably keep plots consistant). Whatever the case, a gay geek like me eagerly anticipates!

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

IrishmanLA wrote:
Wonder Woman had a boyfriend in the military for many years.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
The batcave represents the gay closet
When Batman and Robin come out of the batcave to combat crime; they put on their costumes and masks to hide their true identity
Exactly the same as a closeted gay person who hides his/her true sex orientation when he/she is interfacing with society
Are you suggesting that Comissioner Gordon has hushed this up?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Are you suggesting that Comissioner Gordon has hushed this up?
Maybe its because nobody ever asked him
Perhaps a very young Sara Palin will give him a lap dance in return for the information

Since: Jul 11

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Wonder Woman had a boyfriend in the military for many years.
THAT WW was part of the JSA, and is not the current incarnation of the character. The current WW had a brief relationship with Superman, but both ended it amicably because for both of them, their "heart wasn't in it". Now that DC comics has, again, restarted the DC universe, minor changes in characters are going to happen that are not inconsistent with past characters, but which will allow character development to go in new directions. I did not say that Wonder Woman was the ONLY candidate, just that if they choose a major character for this, she is the most likely candidate.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

IrishmanLA wrote:
<quoted text> THAT WW was part of the JSA, and is not the current incarnation of the character. The current WW had a brief relationship with Superman, but both ended it amicably because for both of them, their "heart wasn't in it". Now that DC comics has, again, restarted the DC universe, minor changes in characters are going to happen that are not inconsistent with past characters, but which will allow character development to go in new directions. I did not say that Wonder Woman was the ONLY candidate, just that if they choose a major character for this, she is the most likely candidate.
How about the Human Torch? Toro thought he was hot.

I guess Wonder Woman never knew how to hold onto a man. I knew it was over with Superman when she found out his tights didn't have a zipper.
Jasper

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Human Torch(es) are Marvel, not DC.

Rumors are heavily leaning toward the nu52 Alan Scott, which his son was out before the recent reboot. Thinking that would "pacify" any Obsidian fans by making this new iteration of his father gay, since he is too young to have an adult son (or daughter!), now, is only going to piss off the legion of Alan Scott fans.

DC has all but admitted it's a guy, so WW is out, not Out. LOL

At this point, I don't care, as the last year has been totally shit, and it was going downhill long before that.
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

DC Comics is suicidal. Not only the inevitable pending boycotts, but the natural inclination in any species to minimize sexual perversion will impact their sales. People will remember this foul assault on the youth of America.
Realtime

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

There are no real gay action heros, so they have to make them up.
alan

Livonia, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
There are no real gay action heros, so they have to make them up.
they could do the comic script on holder and obama?since obama backs holder no matter what he does maybe they are a couple?this may be too real to be a comic script?they could call it fast and furious queer lovers?

Chagrin Falls, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Bringmedinner wrote:
DC Comics is suicidal. Not only the inevitable pending boycotts, but the natural inclination in any species to minimize sexual perversion will impact their sales. People will remember this foul assault on the youth of America.
... Because it clearly doomed other comics companies when they had characters come out as gay or lesbian.

Marvel seems to be doing well. You might have heard of them. They have that little "Avengers" movie out at the moment, and "Spider-Man" in the summer. They have openly gay characters in their comics and are even going to feature a same-sex marriage in an upcoming popular storyline.
Jasper

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2012

Bringmedinner wrote:
What youth?
Kids are too busy playing video games and whatnot on the internets to care about comics, anymore. Besides, most DC are $3 an issue, Most Marvel and Image are $4 an issue, and higher. Aging fanboys (20s and older) are the only thing keeping the comics industry afloat, and with the current economic downturn, I don't see that improving any time soon.
Nonsense

Woodbury Heights, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2012

I am tired of the f'ing gays pushing themselves on everyone else. I don't care what you do in your bedroom. There should not be any Gay superhero's. They should be a roll model to the majority of people not select few.
If you want gay superhero's make up a new one. Don't damage the reputation of an established one.
Naturally Wired

Moncton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2012

Just another part of the gay agenda.

It is trying engrain into the youth that homosexuality is normal and ok. What better way than to have comic characters, teach it in sex ed, have forced gay-straight student alliances in schools etc....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••