Dad Disowns Gay Son: Letter Goes Viral

Dad Disowns Gay Son: Letter Goes Viral

There are 249 comments on the EDGE story from Aug 10, 2012, titled Dad Disowns Gay Son: Letter Goes Viral. In it, EDGE reports that:

In most cases, coming out isn't easy but it seems it was especially difficult for a gay Reddit user named "James." James, 33, from Pennsylvania, posted a photo of a heartbreaking letter written by his father on the social news, meme-generating website, and it almost instantly went viral as several media outlets, including the British newspaper the ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last

“Where's my fairy wand!”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

#1 Aug 10, 2012
Someone please explain to be what kind of parent would do this to their child?

I'm not a parent myself but I would think that NOTHING should override your love for your child.

I know "James" isn't alone and I just don't understand it.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#2 Aug 10, 2012
KirkW wrote:
I'm not a parent myself but I would think that NOTHING should override your love for your child.
If someone disowns their child... they have FAILED at parenting!
Brian

Houston, TX

#3 Aug 10, 2012
Just goes to show that religion can be the antithesis of love and understanding. Obviously his father chose lies over his flesh and blood.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#4 Aug 10, 2012
I hope this young man absolves himself of all blame and realizes that horrible things that are put on people by their families are not their own fault. He also needs to realize that his father is no longer his father. He should tell new acquaintances that his father is dead, as in fact he is dead to him. Going into the truth is not necessary.

As for the father, if he does not come round, I hope that when he is on his deathbed and his son is far away, he will have regrets about his actions - too late.

The only children who deserve to be disowned are sociopathic killers like Luka Magnotta. Even ordinary murderers can be reconciled.

I often wonder why breeders (and by that I mean anyone who has biological kids, including GLBT people) don't stop to think before making babies that their children might not be like them. If I was going to choose the worst fault that parents make, I think it would be idea that their children should be modeled after them.

I'll bet their isn't a single person on the face of the earth who does not regret having LISTENED to their parents, rather than having NOT LISTENED to them.

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#5 Aug 10, 2012
KirkW wrote:
Evil people exist. Why is this so hard for some people to undersstand ?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#6 Aug 10, 2012
Huh, I hope the father is proud of himself.
When he is old and decrepit and not sure if he pissed himself or not, I wonder who will be there to help him wipe the drool off his vile old chin?

Let James embrace his CHOSEN family of friends who will follow him through life. I have and have written my good FRIENDS into my living trust and last will. My vile siblings will get NOTHING from me, but the contents of my dirty clothes hamper.
Dude

New Castle, DE

#8 Aug 10, 2012
Yeah, this sh*t is sad, but could have been way worse. I know a dude who told his dad, that was a preacher, and he was beaten really bad. He got a serious ass-kicking. He actually was made to leave the house crawling, he was so f*cked-up.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Aug 10, 2012
Dude wrote:
Yeah, this sh*t is sad, but could have been way worse. I know a dude who told his dad, that was a preacher, and he was beaten really bad. He got a serious ass-kicking. He actually was made to leave the house crawling, he was so f*cked-up.
There are many "religious" people -- including the "father" in the article above, and the "father" you describe -- who are not only horrifically bad parents, but unfit, and who are lying pointblank about being christians.

They so richly deserve all the problems the pro-gay have made for them. This is a sickness, pure and simple. The father in this article is sick in the head, literally and truly mental.
Dude

New Castle, DE

#14 Aug 10, 2012
hi hi wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many "religious" people -- including the "father" in the article above, and the "father" you describe -- who are not only horrifically bad parents, but unfit, and who are lying pointblank about being christians.
They so richly deserve all the problems the pro-gay have made for them. This is a sickness, pure and simple. The father in this article is sick in the head, literally and truly mental.
There really should be some kind of test. Too many, dopey parents out there.
Dude

New Castle, DE

#16 Aug 10, 2012
Medium Tex wrote:
Kudos to the Normal and Decent father for disowning the queer, if any of my kids decided to turn queer I'd do the same thing!!!
Why?
Dude

New Castle, DE

#18 Aug 10, 2012
Medium Tex wrote:
<quoted text>Because people shouldn't Choose the queer lifestyle, it's perverted and deviant.
What is the "queer lifestyle"? Define it for me.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#19 Aug 10, 2012
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
We don't have to worry about that idiot, Topix troll, reproducing. First of all, no sane woman would have him, and secondly, he is on the gay threads posting with so many usernames that he has no time to even begin to have a relationship!
Dale Frank

New Auburn, WI

#20 Aug 10, 2012
This is just one of the thousands of these that happen yearly. Bullying at school, rejection by parents, hate by the religious community..Sometimes suicide is the only solution.
Dude

New Castle, DE

#22 Aug 10, 2012
NE Jade wrote:
<quoted text>We don't have to worry about that idiot, Topix troll, reproducing. First of all, no sane woman would have him, and secondly, he is on the gay threads posting with so many usernames that he has no time to even begin to have a relationship!
IDK, bro. It just worries me that a dude like him could have kids. If you don't think he's legit, then cool. Less stress on me, if he proves himself to be what you claim.
Dale Frank

New Auburn, WI

#23 Aug 10, 2012
Medium Tex: I think that disowning your kids might be the best thing in the world for them. They do not need your ignorance, intolerance and hatred as an influence. You sound like a 'taker' instead of a 'giver' who sucks the vitality from everything that you are near. If you fit the pattern for others like you, you are republican, minimally educated, you have no interest in reading or improving yourself. You are repressed sexually, get off on images of naked men and probably sexually abuse your sons. When you look at yourself in the mirror, you don't see the missing teeth, bad complexion or the mullet haircut...... you see God.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#24 Aug 10, 2012
Medium Tex wrote:
<quoted text>Because people shouldn't Choose the queer lifestyle, it's perverted and deviant.
Frankly, that father did his son a major FAVOR. Just think the son won't have to listen to the old sot blabbering about Jay-sus or Gohd or any that other nonsense anymore!

And, he won't have to put up with the gift certificates from Big Lots or Tastee Freeze or Chick-fellate.

If that is how rigid and unforgiving the father is, then fcuk him. When he is on his piss stained bed someday, who will wipe his slobbery old mouth?

Since: Sep 09

Hollywood, CA.

#25 Aug 10, 2012
Medium Tex wrote:
Kudos to the Normal and Decent father for disowning the queer, if any of my kids decided to turn queer I'd do the same thing!!!
Get back to the cafe fucktard.. You have no kids. Besides I though you were RC Priest? Where did your Holy Rod plant the seed?... Or did one of your sock puppets spawn children for you?.

Hollywood, CA.

#26 Aug 10, 2012
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Frankly, that father did his son a major FAVOR. Just think the son won't have to listen to the old sot blabbering about Jay-sus or Gohd or any that other nonsense anymore!
And, he won't have to put up with the gift certificates from Big Lots or Tastee Freeze or Chick-fellate.
If that is how rigid and unforgiving the father is, then fcuk him. When he is on his piss stained bed someday, who will wipe his slobbery old mouth?
Don; t even bother posting to him .. He's the cafe troll just living his life her wanting attention and get a rise in his levis by our reactions to his idiocy..

Threads like this gives him a hard on.

Hollywood, CA.

#27 Aug 10, 2012
Well,, The father in this case will have to live with consequences of his own action.. A God given child all of His own throws it back in the Creators face.

This parent failed miserably as a parent....

This kid will be taken care of by people that do love him ..

Hollywood, CA.

#28 Aug 10, 2012
Dale Frank wrote:
This is just one of the thousands of these that happen yearly. Bullying at school, rejection by parents, hate by the religious community..Sometimes suicide is the only solution.
Well, how bout if you demonstrate the solution for us & then we'll see if we agree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jade Mad 17 min Peaches 3
News Gay veteran with a penchant for heels wins land... 26 min FRAN FARTS 95
News Lyft driver in Indianapolis orders gay couple o... 37 min Frankie Rizzo 19
Jade NE Weekend Review 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 9
News This Navy vet is making history as Mississippi'... 1 hr helpfullynxtagz 2
News Church Of Scotland To Draft New Laws Permitting... 2 hr Imprtnrd 2
News Transgender people in Iran face discrimination ... 3 hr Xstain Spot Remover 1
News The Fight for LGBT Equality in 2018 Will Be Fierce 4 hr FART FRANK 137
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 19 hr Pendleton 28,156