Boy Scouts proposing to lift gay ban ...

Boy Scouts proposing to lift gay ban for youth

There are 55 comments on the KNUS-AM Aurora story from Apr 19, 2013, titled Boy Scouts proposing to lift gay ban for youth. In it, KNUS-AM Aurora reports that:

Under pressure over its long-standing ban on gays, the Boys Scouts of America is proposing to lift the ban for youth members but continue to exclude gays as adult leaders.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KNUS-AM Aurora.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anne Nonomous

Lincroft, NJ

#1 Apr 19, 2013
ok... getting warmer.

So potentially a gay boy-scout can be honorable, etc....yet magically turn into a deviant when he ultimately (loving his experiences and time there) wants to give back and become a scout master?

Why is it so hard to grasp..given data and shows like "To Catch a Predator" that pedophiles can be 'straight' and often married with children of their own? Why is the assumption automatically made for gay people?(This is not to be answered by trolls).

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Apr 19, 2013
The wording is a decent-enough compromise, allowing gay kids, if not gay adults.

I can live with this ... for now.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#3 Apr 19, 2013
Let me see if I have this "straight" in my head. A boy is 14 or so and gay. He an join now, because magically all boys under 18 or 21 or whatever an adult is, the boy is not liable to molest another boy. BUT, the minute he becomes an adult, he is automatically a threat to boys. And all this time, straight men and teenagers are no danger to underage boys. I gather in their mind a predator is not a predator until he becomes an adult. Do I have that "straight"? I think my head is about to explode.
Theo

Pekin, IL

#4 Apr 19, 2013
Anne Nonomous wrote:
ok... getting warmer.
So potentially a gay boy-scout can be honorable, etc....yet magically turn into a deviant when he ultimately (loving his experiences and time there) wants to give back and become a scout master?
Why is it so hard to grasp..given data and shows like "To Catch a Predator" that pedophiles can be 'straight' and often married with children of their own? Why is the assumption automatically made for gay people?(This is not to be answered by trolls).
You really need to go back for that GED. Molestation of Boy Scout aged minor young men is not pedophila. It is a major focus of homosexuality! The priest abuse scandal was over 80% in nature and also primarily involved the homosexual molestation of minor young men who were Boy Scout aged. Pedophilia involves molestation of children before the age of puberty, and yes, homosexual are over-represented among pepophiles, but close to 100%
responsible for molestation of minor young men.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#5 Apr 19, 2013
RalphB wrote:
Let me see if I have this "straight" in my head. A boy is 14 or so and gay. He an join now, because magically all boys under 18 or 21 or whatever an adult is, the boy is not liable to molest another boy. BUT, the minute he becomes an adult, he is automatically a threat to boys. And all this time, straight men and teenagers are no danger to underage boys. I gather in their mind a predator is not a predator until he becomes an adult. Do I have that "straight"? I think my head is about to explode.
Confusing, ain't it?

Location hidden

#6 Apr 19, 2013
RalphB wrote:
Nothing about this is purely rational. The post immediately preceding this one is proof enough of that.

It's a workable compromise ... for now.

Location hidden

#7 Apr 19, 2013
Sorry "NorCal". Topix sandwiched you in between my post and the one it was referring to.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#8 Apr 19, 2013
snyper wrote:
Sorry "NorCal". Topix sandwiched you in between my post and the one it was referring to.
No worries......I'm sure Ralph knew you were referring to the greyboxer......lol!!!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#9 Apr 19, 2013
snyper wrote:
The wording is a decent-enough compromise, allowing gay kids, if not gay adults.
I can live with this ... for now.
But that implicitly says that adult gay males are child molesters, when in fact most child molesters are str8 males.

This is akin to the infamous DADT policy which implicitly said, "OK, we'll let you serve, but don't tell anybody you're gay, because being gay is so horrible".

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#10 Apr 19, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing about this is purely rational. The post immediately preceding this one is proof enough of that.
It's a workable compromise ... for now.
After typing my previous post I had to take an aspirin and lay down for a while. It didn't help. My head is still spinning from my own attempt at grasping their "logic".
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Apr 19, 2013
Theo wrote:
<quoted text>You really need to go back for that GED. Molestation of Boy Scout aged minor young men is not pedophila. It is a major focus of homosexuality! The priest abuse scandal was over 80% in nature and also primarily involved the homosexual molestation of minor young men who were Boy Scout aged. Pedophilia involves molestation of children before the age of puberty, and yes, homosexual are over-represented among pepophiles, but close to 100%
responsible for molestation of minor young men.
Well there you have it; sugar
Molestation is caused by religion; not by sex orientation
To be safe from molestation; the boy scouts must dump religion; the sooner the better

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#13 Apr 19, 2013
RalphB wrote:
We can, of course, argue over the harm caused by adults manipulating youth vs youth manipulating each other. But I've heard consistently that the youth are far more likely to experiment with each other than the scout master. The best move is to have gay scout leaders whom the youth can turn to for mature advice.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#14 Apr 19, 2013
BUT the BSA has always stated that their ban on gay youths was STRICTLY based on morality.

So now they're saying that it IS moral to be gay at 15 years old, but IMMORAL to be gay at 18 years old ? What are they saying ???
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#15 Apr 19, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
BUT the BSA has always stated that their ban on gay youths was STRICTLY based on morality.
So now they're saying that it IS moral to be gay at 15 years old, but IMMORAL to be gay at 18 years old ? What are they saying ???
They're saying the rent is due and they need their big-bucks sponsors back
Dubya

Roanoke, VA

#16 Apr 19, 2013
Theo wrote:
<quoted text>Blah, blah, blah...
Boy, am I getting old! I almost read your post, but managed to glance up and see "Pekin, IL." I don't have time for such bullshit anymore.
Theo

Pekin, IL

#17 Apr 19, 2013
Dubya wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, am I getting old! I almost read your post, but managed to glance up and see "Pekin, IL." I don't have time for such bullshit anymore.
You really have to put blinders on to believe homofascist nonesense.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#18 Apr 19, 2013
As a registered voter, I vote FOR homofascism !

:)

Location hidden

#19 Apr 19, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
But that implicitly says that adult gay males are child molesters, when in fact most child molesters are str8 males.
This is akin to the infamous DADT policy which implicitly said, "OK, we'll let you serve, but don't tell anybody you're gay, because being gay is so horrible".
I KNOW what it implies.

You'll note that for the kids there is no such gag clause.

It's a COMPROMISE, and one that works, for now, for the kids.

I certainly will not mind the raised voices a lot more gay Eagle Scouts addressing those issues down the line, but we have to let the kids become them first, right?

Do I have to remind you that gay kids don't grow up in an opportunity-less bubble, unless our actions create them. I'm not going to support that for the sake of ideological purity.

We can deal with the adult issues in the next round ... in about a decade or so.

I'm still waiting to hear something from gay Explorer Scouts. Where are THEIR voices in this?

See what I mean?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#20 Apr 19, 2013
Anne Nonomous wrote:
ok... getting warmer.
I agree. The more I think about this, the less I like this so-called compromise.

I was a boy scout in Troop 403 in Commack. The oldest guy in our troop, Steve Cataldo, is 3 years older than me. His brother, Anthony, was 2 years older than me, and they lived across the street from me. In addition to the 3 of us being in Boy Scouts together, we did other things outside of Boy Scouts such as street football, a weekly poker game that lasted for many years, and many other things together. Steve and Anthony were two of the nicest guys I ever met in my life.

Steve was a great guy and he became the VERY FIRST Eagle Scout our troop ever had (others followed). He later became the Assistant Scoutmaster for our troop. And upon earning his college degree, he became a very successful architect.

Now are you telling me, that a Boy Scout can go from Tenderfoot, progress thru the ranks and earn enough merit badges to become an Eagle Scout, along with performing the community services required for that rank, and IF he happens to be gay, he is automatically disqualified from being the Assistant Scoutmaster ?! THAT'S RIDICULOUS !!!

Location hidden

#21 Apr 19, 2013
Anne Nonomous wrote:
ok... getting warmer.
Hopefully by the time the boys grow into adults our country will no longer have an issue with gays and they'll finally stop putting gays in the same category as child molesters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 2 min Alex Bradshaw 298
News 'Will & Grace' returning to TV 5 min Rainbow Kid 7
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 43 min tbird19482 44,066
News UNC president: Job candidates say no, citing ba... 1 hr Holy Guacamole 22
New President of the US 1 hr Donnelly 1
News 'I believe in the American people': Obama upbea... 1 hr Imprtnrd 22
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 1 hr June VanDerMark 12,650
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 4 hr Big C 23,996
More from around the web