Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 36053 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#20711 Oct 9, 2013
The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

For learning about wisdom and instruction,
for understanding words of insight,
for gaining instruction in wise dealing,
righteousness, justice and equity;

to teach shrewdness to the simple,
knowledge and prudence to the young -

Let the wise also hear and gain in learning,
and the discerning acquire skill,
to understand a proverb and a figure,
the words of the wise and their riddles.

The fear of the LORD is the
beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction.

And in another place, regarding walking in the way of evildoers, "Avoid it; do not go on it;
turn away from it and pass on.
For they cannot sleep unless they have done wrong;
they are robbed of sleep unless they have made someone stumble."

There are six things that the LORD hates,
seven that are an abomination to him:

haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
and hands that shed innocent blood,
a heart that devises wicked plans,
feet that hurry to run to evil,
a lying witness who testifies falsely,
and one who sows discord in a family.

And in another place, "Suffer the little children to come to me and do not prevent them or place conditions or stumbling blocks in their path between them and me."

I thank you, Rev. Alan, for your contributions to the conversations in these posts. You do a service that few can appreciate.

By providing examples of significant conflict and discordance among many biblical references, you clearly show that scripture is not to be worshipped.

But, for many, this is a very difficult lesson to accept.

Just keep at it.

The thread topic here, some 18,500 posts long at this point (in The Episcopal Church Forum), is ostensibly an ongoing discussion about the difficulties of reckoning how a moral life in which same-sex attraction or homosexual orientation being a natural fact is to be considered within a framework of personal and social morality established through a traditional reliance on Holy Scripture.

Some in this conversation say that such a reckoning and reconciliation cannot be done.

But, it can and is and will be done.

Thank God - or whatever you want to call it or not call it - that we live in a Republic where the freedom to establish a life of personal happiness and conscience, integrity, dignity and industrious self-worth is encouraged and defended by a set of Constitutional Principles.

Because of this commitment to Constitutional Principle, the better parts of ancient tribal Traditions are being kept as important guides, while the long-held, institutionalized hypocrisies and narrow-minded bigotries of hateful people are being brought to Light and exposed as useless.

Just as there will always be the poor with us, there will also always be the unsympathetic, uninformed, ignorant and supposedly educated heartless.

Please take encouragement to stick with the program. But, I also know that you will.

Remember Winston Churchill, who, for the sake of Righteousness and in the face of overwhelming odds of adversity, led a nation and its allies, saying, "Never, never give up."

Rev. Ken
A disciple of the Lord, Christ Jesus and a priest in the brotherhood-sisterhood of priests of the Long Tradition.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20712 Oct 9, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever noticed that the "bad laws" displaced in history have usually restricted the rights of certain citizens?
Equality is coming, because those like yourself who believe equality shouldn't exist for same sex couples to marry can't offer a rational basis for excluding them from marriage.
I'm all for equal rights and minority rights. SS couples just don't qualify for marriage rights. History agrees with me. So does science. Oh, and every culture and religion.

Since: Jun 13

Anchorage, AK

#20713 Oct 9, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians know faith is the key to heaven.
You don't rev. Explains a lot doesn't it.
KiMare, so what you are saying is that because man says it is so where Christianity was established by man, the key to heaven is the Christian faith. Kinda like Catholic Faith. It is the only way to heaven, right? Oh, wait a minute. Which is it Christian Faith or Catholic Faith? Is it Catholic Faith or one of the 30,000 denominations faith. Seems to me that there are all kinds of perceptions about Christianity. Just like faith and reason.

Anchorage, AK

#20714 Oct 9, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith undergirds my reason.
'The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom'
might be one of the verses you are looking for...
No, it is not, but thanks. Your quote is one of many that I've read in search of that allusive verse stating that God gave man the gift of reason.

Anchorage, AK

#20715 Oct 9, 2013
Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
The Manasses troll is not Rainbow Kid, he's merely posing as Rainbow Kid in an attempt to defame him. Why Rainbow Kid doesn't get a Topix account, I do not know.
Thanks Wolfgang.

Anchorage, AK

#20716 Oct 9, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
Stay off of the Gay/Lesbian Forum and you wouldn't have to deal with it...See how easy that was?
Hey, another Lakon!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#20717 Oct 9, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm all for equal rights and minority rights. SS couples just don't qualify for marriage rights. History agrees with me. So does science. Oh, and every culture and religion.
Well, then,... according to sentence #2 above, written by YOU, you really are NOT for equal rights and minority rights for some people, are you? No. You are not.

And as for all of these who YOU claim agree with you?
Not any more, Kimare.

In fact, history and science do NOT agree with you.

Same-sex couples have existed throughout the known history of Humanity.

Science affirms the natural basis for same-sex attraction, even though it probably comprises barely 5% of the population.

You can deny this, like the Iranian authorities do. But, your denial has nothing to do with the truth and facts of the matter.

And, yes. Same-sex couples can and do qualify for civil unions and, in an increasing number of U.S. States, marriage. Also, the U.S. is not the only country to permit such marriages.

As for Churches, an increasing number of Churches do and will hold the marriage ritual for the same-sex couple.

Facts, Kimare. Facts.

Anchorage, AK

#20718 Oct 9, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
I thank you for the conversation, Akopen.
The Episcopal Church has a commitment to a principled approach to these scriptural ideas. It makes no difference whether or not one is an Episcopalian. Anyone can and should be able to contemplate upon and accept these guiding forms. They were taken from the ancient mystics and are just as valid today as they were over 9,000 years ago.
Rev. Ken
Thanks Rev. Ken. By the way, I did answer your personal message. I see that moderators filter through personal messages too. My post you referred to as missing is there when I look for it. So I copied and messaged you with it. The reason it may have been removed is because of translating the Greek word, gamos, into English.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#20719 Oct 9, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Wolfy, I answered your challenge, and now you bail?
More denial?
SMile.
What challenge?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#20720 Oct 9, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of bad laws have come and gone.
History doesn't bode we'll for this atrocity.
Christ-insanity is the atrocity. When you die the world will be a better place.

Location hidden

#20721 Oct 9, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever noticed that the "bad laws" displaced in history have usually restricted the rights of certain citizens?
Equality is coming, because those like yourself who believe equality shouldn't exist for same sex couples to marry can't offer a rational basis for excluding them from marriage.
KiMare doesn't even notice his belly getting so big he hasn't seen his penis in over 30 years.

I have noticed the bad laws that you are talking about. Christian laws like slavery and preventing women from voting. There was no rational basis for keeping slavery or not allowing women to vote just like there isn't any for preventing two members of the same sex from getting married.

KiMare can't learn new tricks. He just keeps repeating the same old ones that didn't work in the past hoping to find someone stupid enough to accept his wholly unconvincing assertions.

Location hidden

#20722 Oct 9, 2013
RevKen wrote:
I thank you, Rev. Alan, for your contributions to the conversations in these posts. You do a service that few can appreciate.
By providing examples of significant conflict and discordance among many biblical references, you clearly show that scripture is not to be worshiped.
But, for many, this is a very difficult lesson to accept.
Just keep at it.
Scripture is not to be trusted.

Location hidden

#20723 Oct 9, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter who agrees with you or not. Your wholly unconvincing assertion that gay people do not qualify for marriage rights is proof you are not for equal rights and minority rights. You are only for your own bigotry and pretending you are an authority who knows something, You are not and clearly you do not know anything.

Your religious background does not qualify you to tell us about who has rights and who does not. Our Government was established to protect normal people from people like you, from having power and control over others.

Your arrogance is disgusting and makes you a pathetic defective being divorced from reality of your own moral poverty. You are an evil being Kimare, so evil....
SHADOW

Canyon Lake, TX

#20724 Oct 9, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>We are a country of LAWS! Don't like it, MOVE. It is the LAW OF THE LAND. SS marriage is the LAW. Adios!
Law of the land is decided and amended by who ever is in power.
When the republicans take back over the law will be voided just like the democrats did away with our border fence that was funded huh chubby.
I dream of a day when you gender confused idiots step back in your collective closets.
Obama has made a joke of our laws but we will fix that when he is shipped out.

Anchorage, AK

#20725 Oct 9, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Law of the land is decided and amended by who ever is in power.
When the republicans take back over the law will be voided just like the democrats did away with our border fence that was funded huh chubby.
I dream of a day when you gender confused idiots step back in your collective closets.
Obama has made a joke of our laws but we will fix that when he is shipped out.
Shadow, you are talking about the crime of sedition that the Republican House is committing against the United States of America.

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#20726 Oct 9, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ-insanity is the atrocity. When you die the world will be a better place.
Sad to say that's just not the reality. There will be another bible thumping bigot right behind this closet queen.
SHADOW

Canyon Lake, TX

#20727 Oct 9, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
Stay off of the Gay/Lesbian Forum and you wouldn't have to deal with it...See how easy that was?
Well, well where do I begin? This is not a queer forum it is the Episcopal Church Forum high jacked by the nasty lesbian troll jonesy. It you look at the header that is easy to see along with the troll who posted it.
I agree it should be in the queer forum but jonsey insists on bringing her filthy crap onto a Church thread to force decent people to read it.
Now there is a whole country of decent normal people here that wish they didn't have to deal with your perverted chosen lifestyle also.
BTW--see how easy that really was??????
well

Round Lake, IL

#20728 Oct 9, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, well where do I begin? This is not a queer forum it is the Episcopal Church Forum high jacked by the nasty lesbian troll jonesy. It you look at the header that is easy to see along with the troll who posted it.
I agree it should be in the queer forum but jonsey insists on bringing her filthy crap onto a Church thread to force decent people to read it.
Now there is a whole country of decent normal people here that wish they didn't have to deal with your perverted chosen lifestyle also.
BTW--see how easy that really was??????
Sweetie, what is the title of this thread? Isn't it Homosexuality and the Bible? If you don't want to read about it, if you don't want to have homosexuality in your face...don't read or post on the thread. See how easy that really is?

Location hidden

#20729 Oct 9, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
KiMare, so what you are saying is that because man says it is so where Christianity was established by man, the key to heaven is the Christian faith. Kinda like Catholic Faith. It is the only way to heaven, right? Oh, wait a minute. Which is it Christian Faith or Catholic Faith? Is it Catholic Faith or one of the 30,000 denominations faith. Seems to me that there are all kinds of perceptions about Christianity. Just like faith and reason.
I said no such thing.

It is your choice not to believe in God or the Bible. I'm not arguing with your stupidity.

The assertion was that reason was the key to the Christian faith. I simply and accurately noted that the Bible is clear in both the Old and New Testament, that faith is the key.

Location hidden

#20730 Oct 9, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith undergirds my reason.
'The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom'
might be one of the verses you are looking for...
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is not, but thanks. Your quote is one of many that I've read in search of that allusive verse stating that God gave man the gift of reason.
Yeah, it is, but now you change the question because you don't like the answer.

Why do you want to know now 'who gave man the gift of reason???'

Are you serious???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
JADE DiARY 6 min Butter Biscuit 3
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 8 min barry 6,982
News Study: 12,000 acts of condomless gay sex, 0 HIV... 12 min anon 4
Straight man recalls horrific sexual assault at... 18 min Paul 9
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 27 min Terra Firma 52,167
News This Gay Man Wants to End Texas' War Against LG... 27 min Tre H 27
News Charlize Theron admits to taking 'a dip in the ... 1 hr Wondering 16
News Blood donation rules relaxed for gay men and se... 7 hr Howser 30
News Gay couple grilled by judge about their sex liv... 16 hr TomInElPaso 108
News Catholic church in Cambuslang praised for issui... 22 hr Palin s Turkey Th... 3
More from around the web