Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 36052 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#20428 Oct 2, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>.... is credible.
Credible??? There is NOTHING in the Bible that is credible, you are a lying Christ-insanity-ist and I prove it each time I quote the god damned Bible.

If KiMare is going to quote Old Law with respect to executing homosexuals, then why doesn't he quote verses which prescribe the death penalty for a wide variety of acts other than homosexuality? All of the following warrant execution:

•(a) striking your father or mother (Ex.21:15);
•(b) kidnapping (Ex. 21:6 RSV);
•(c) cursing your father or mother (Ex. 21:17 RSV, Lev. 20:9);
•(d) touching a mountain (Ex. 19:12 RSV);
•(e) allowing your ox to gore someone (Ex. 21:29);
•(f) lying with a beast (Ex. 22:19) RSV, Lev. 20:15-16);
•(g) sacrificing to other gods (Ex. 22:20 RSV);
•(h) failing to observe the Sabbath (Ex. 31:14-15);
•(i) drinking strong drinks while in the tabernacle (Lev. 10:9);
•(j) committing adultery (Lev. 20:10 RSV, Deut. 22:22);
•(k) lying with your father's wife (Lev. 20:11 RSV);
•(l) lying with your daughter-in-law (Lev. 20:12 RSV);
•(m) committing homosexual acts (Lev. 20:13 RSV);
•(n) being a medium or a wizard (Lev. 20:27 RSV);
•(o) being a witch (Ex. 22:18);
•(p) being a priest's daughter and becoming a whore (Lev. 21:9 RSV);
•(q) Blaspheming the name of the Lord (Lev. 24:16);
•(r) cursing (Lev. 24:14 RSV);
•(s) coming near the priesthood (Num. 3:10);
•(t) being a stranger who comes near the congregation's tabernacle (Num. 3:38);
•(u) gathering sticks on the Sabbath (Num. 15:32-35);
•(v) serving or worshipping other gods (Deut. 17:2-5 RSV);
•(w) showing contempt for the Lord's priest or judge (Deut. 17:12 NIV);
•(x) failing to obey one's parents (Deut. 21:18-21);
•(y) not being a virgin on your wedding day (Deut. 22:20-21 NIV);
•(z) being a betrothed virgin who did not cry out when seduced (Deut. 22:23-24);
•(aa) having relations with your wife and her mother (Lev. 20:14);
•(bb) telling people to seek other gods (Deut. 13:2,5); and
•(cc) being a false prophet (Deut. 18:20).

Location hidden

#20429 Oct 2, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>.... is credible.
•(j) committing adultery (Lev. 20:10 RSV, Deut. 22:22);

Why aren't you in heterosexual meet up threads telling the adulterers how God demands they be put to death? Jesus, if we put all those who have committed adultery to death we would have anyone left running the government.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#20430 Oct 2, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
No one cares what someone who refuses to do what Jesus instructs thinks. And no one really believes you have ever thought in your life anyway.
We are all laughing at you for making a fool of yourself.
Your assessment of Shadow is spot on!

Location hidden

#20431 Oct 2, 2013
Larry Says wrote:
<quoted text>LUNATIC
Is that you David Moore of Pekin, Il!?!?!?

Location hidden

#20432 Oct 2, 2013
Confusion wrote:
I'm gay and I was born this way it was not a choice
The Christ-insanity-ists refuse to accept that even though their Bible clearly teaches it is true.

One of the most prominent figures in modern church history, John Calvin, is strongly associated with a belief that is repugnant to most of Christendom, i.e., predestination. Most biblicists believe that God knows what will occur prior to the event but leaves man free to make the choice. In other words, men are free to choose what God already knows will happen. Calvin, on the other hand, stressed biblical pronouncements to the contrary. God doesn't just know ahead of time; he determines it; he fixes it; he plans it; it's his idea. In reality, Calvin viewed free will as myth. In so doing he highlighted one of the most serious, most prominent contradictions in biblical theology--free will versus determinism. His opponents rightly observed that the abolishment of free will destroys moral responsibility. But unfortunately for them literally scores of verses substantiate his position. An exhaustive list in descending order of strength would include the following:

(1) "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world,.... Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ himself, according to the good pleasure of his will" (Eph. 1:4-5),
(2) "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son,.... Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called...." (Rom. 8:28-30),
(3) "And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord; and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed" (Acts 13:48),
(4) "But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess. 2:13),
(5) "In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his (not our) own will" (Eph. 1:11),
(6) "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" (Eph. 2:10),
(7) "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you" (John 15:16),
(8) "For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Thess. 5:9 RSV),
(9) "A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps" (Prov. 16:9),
(10) "He will carry out what he has planned for me, and of many such matters He is mindful" (Job 23:14 Mod. Lang),
(11) "Only, let every one lead the life which the Lord has assigned to him, and in which God has called him" (1 Cor. 7:17 RSV),
(12) "...your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" (Psalm 139:16 NIV),
(13) "Man's goings are of the Lord; how can a man then understand his own way?" (Prov. 20:24),
(14) "And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other" (Matt. 24:3l),(15) "...whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world,...." (Rev. 17:8),
(16) "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire" (Rev. 20:15),
(17) "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him" (John 6:44),
(18) "...no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father" (John 6:65),
(19) "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call" (Acts 2:39),

To be continued:

Location hidden

#20433 Oct 2, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>Is that you David Moore of Pekin, Il!?!?!?
That was my first thought when I saw that nonsense. David must have broken up with his boy friend and is returning to tell us all about things he knows nothing about. These Christ-insanity-ists are such reprobates.

Location hidden

#20434 Oct 2, 2013
<quoted text>Your assessment of Shadow is spot on!
Thank you very much. I am sick and tired of all these faux Christians who are really Christ-insanity-ists, pretending they have been selected by God to point the finger at the rest of us while they have no intention of doing what the Bible instructs and commands for them to do.
Shadow hates God, Jesus and the Bible with a passion. Each post proves it. If Shadow loved Jesus he would follow his commands but he refuses to and that proves he hates Jesus.
While hating Jesus he expects us to accept him to tell us about Jesus. Isn't that just pathetic?
I would not trust Shadow to tell him how to lube a sex toy. Although that may be the one thing he is good at.
SHADOW

Canyon Lake, TX

#20435 Oct 2, 2013
<quoted text>Is that you David Moore of Pekin, Il!?!?!?
No fool it is me,Hank of Florida.
You are sooooo easy to fool, fool.
Thanks for playing butch

Location hidden

#20436 Oct 2, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you very much. I am sick and tired of all these faux Christians who are really Christ-insanity-ists, pretending they have been selected by God to point the finger at the rest of us while they have no intention of doing what the Bible instructs and commands for them to do.
Shadow hates God, Jesus and the Bible with a passion. Each post proves it. If Shadow loved Jesus he would follow his commands but he refuses to and that proves he hates Jesus.
While hating Jesus he expects us to accept him to tell us about Jesus. Isn't that just pathetic?
I would not trust Shadow to tell him how to lube a sex toy. Although that may be the one thing he is good at.
I could never tell if it wad a he or a she.
Maggie

Piscataway, NJ

#20437 Oct 2, 2013
<quoted text>Your assessment of Shadow is spot on!
I'm Maggie thought you knew everything stalker.
SHADOW

Canyon Lake, TX

#20438 Oct 2, 2013
<quoted text>I could never tell if it wad a he or a she.
You always have had that problem butch.
Boy this is like shooting fat fish in a barrel. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Location hidden

#20439 Oct 2, 2013
<quoted text>I could never tell if it was a he or a she.
Shadow is probably neither.

Location hidden

#20440 Oct 2, 2013
www.patheos.com/blogs/unfundamentalistchristi...

Great post about the Clobber Passages.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#20441 Oct 2, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the not so normal one. I am sure Jesus knows that as well.
As for your numbers, well they speak for themselves so what exactly do you think someone is telling you otherwise.
You are just out of step with a civilized society like here in America.
Your concept of normal is flawed. Jesus loves me, this I know. Civilized Americans know that SSM has no effect on them.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#20442 Oct 2, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly bigoted, ignorant source.
The Bible consistently defines marriage as between a man and woman.
At its most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.
You might want to select something more realistic than cartoons for your information.
Smile.
The issue under discussion wasn't the gender of the participants, but the NUMBER.

Stop shifting the goalposts.

You claim to be "straight". Why not practice thinking that way?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#20443 Oct 2, 2013
Revralph wrote:
Sadly, because some denominations of Christianity have become so defiant about gay issues, they have ostracized an entire segment of our population against Christianity. My church and denomination, openly welcome all into our family, so I urge gays that feel they are unwelcome in church to explore those that eagerly want you to join us. As a Congregationalist (the church of the Mayflower), we have evolved into a very progressive group. 300 years ago, we were just like the haters here. We burned gays, drowned witches, branded adulterers, believed in slavery, made women submissive, denied others to right to worship openly. The point is, the fundamentalists here will eventually adapt and realize it is not just the right thing to do, but Christ-like thing to do. God wants all people to love, be loved, and enter the kingdom of heaven.
Peace.
It truly is a shame so many worship such a puny God.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#20444 Oct 3, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
You of all people here should be grateful that society in general has become more civilized in its treatment and acceptance of those who are different.
Back a hundred years ago a baby born with your supposed condition was smothered at birth because "it was for the best". The mother was then told she delivered a stillborn...
Should we go back to that way of doing things? Remember the lives of your grandchildren and their children hang in the balance of your answer. You keep calling yourself a barbarian, now prove it!
"Society has become more civilized"???

Do you know how many abortions occur? Do you know that across the Islamic world, female babies are thrown out with the garbage??

But this remains. Societies still do accept the things you claim have gone. No society has accepted calling ss couples married from start to finish.

It is asserted by many that in these modern sophisticated times, we are the first society to venture where previous cultures have been restrained by ignorance and bigotry. Through a perverted manipulation of the legal system and a growing cultural immorality, we have not only 'legalized' the murder of children but are now in the process of desecrating marriage.

But are we the first society to assert these 'rights' and establish 'laws' regarding them? This is a deadly farce based on arrogance and denial. You are not going where no culture has gone before, you are following a course that has destroyed every culture on that same path.

Leviticus 18:1-3 (NASB) 1 Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 2 "Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them,'I am the LORD your God. 3 ~'You shall not do what is done in the land of Egypt where you lived, nor are you to do what is done in the land of Canaan where I am bringing you; you shall not walk in their statutes.

Please note that the word 'statutes' means, something prescribed, an enactment, statute:--New American Standard Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible. Simply put; A formal law of the culture.

The question then becomes, what were those old 'laws' that God prohibited?

A list concludes with three; Leviticus 18:21-23 (NASB) 21 ~'You shall not give any of your offspring to offer them to Molech, nor shall you profane the name of your God; I am the LORD. 22 ~'You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination. 23 ~'Also you shall not have intercourse with any animal to be defiled with it, nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it; it is a perversion.

Simply put, those were laws legally allowing child sacrifice, sodomy and beastality.

What is the consequence of a society legally embracing those things?

Leviticus 18:24-25 (NASB) 24 'Do not defile yourselves by any of these things; for by all these the nations which I am casting out before you have become defiled. 25 ~'For the land has become defiled, therefore I have brought its punishment upon it, so the land has spewed out its inhabitants.

I know you claim these words are not words of God, but simply words of man, distorted by translations and time. To me, however, they are then, all the more poignant. How is it that words of fiction expose repeated history and affirm your arrogance? You are determined to repeat the perversion of law, but deny the historic reality of it's consequences.

Location hidden

#20445 Oct 3, 2013
Revralph wrote:
Homophobes traditionally point to 4 NT verses to condemn homosexuality, Romans 1:26–27, 1 Corinthians 6:9–10, Timothy 1:9–10, Jude 1:7. Gay rights activists dispute these 4 verses through incorrect translations of the original texts. No one will ever know precisely the truth, as both arguments have value. As a pastor, it doesn’t really matter to me. The core value of the NT is love, not hate. And while you can cite the above in condemnation, it is important to realize that the NT spends much more effort on warning us that it is not our job to ever judge the behavior of another. There are 23 verses precisely saying that. My personal credo: every single human has and will sin. We are taught to hate sin, but love the sinner, because that is what Jesus Christ did on the cross. He died for all of us, despite the fact that we sin. My point is, I do not know if gay sex is a sin or not. Either way, I am still compelled to love all people, gay and straight. God bless all of you.
There is no dispute about sexual morality among the vast majority of Christendom. It has been consistent through history, and in harmony with Judaism.

In every encounter people in violation who responded to Jesus repented. The behavior changed. The condemnation of Jesus to others was for self-righteous judgment, not discernment of sin.

You are compelled by Jesus to speak the truth in love.

You clearly don't.

Location hidden

#20446 Oct 3, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true.
The story of Lamech was not a negative example. His son was Noah.
The beginning of Genesis, Chapter 6 would suggest otherwise, reading, "... of all that they chose."
Abram and Sarai, and Hagar and the sons of his concubines (Gen 25:6) appear to have done alright.
Nahor, Abraham's brother didn't fare too badly.
And what of Boaz, who required Ruth the Moabite to glean and follow "close to my young women." Were they his daughters and wives and the daughters and wives of his sons? Probably. Jesus Himself is a descendant of Ruth.
As were David and Solomon.
You are, as you often are, Kimare, full of Baloney.
Rev. Ken
"The names are instead interpreted in the Midrash as an attack on polygamy. Adah is there interpreted as the deposed one, implying that Lamech spurned her in favour of Zillah, whose own name is understood to mean she shaded herself [from Zillah at Lamech's side]. The Midrash consequently regards Adah as having been treated as a slave, tyrannised by her husband, who was at the beck and call of his mistress, Zillah. It further goes on to claim that part of the immorality, which had led God to flood the earth, was the polygamy practised by Lamech and his generation."

I won't go on with the others.

You are a false teacher rev.

Location hidden

#20447 Oct 3, 2013
Revralph wrote:
Sadly, because some denominations of Christianity have become so defiant about gay issues, they have ostracized an entire segment of our population against Christianity. My church and denomination, openly welcome all into our family, so I urge gays that feel they are unwelcome in church to explore those that eagerly want you to join us. As a Congregationalist (the church of the Mayflower), we have evolved into a very progressive group. 300 years ago, we were just like the haters here. We burned gays, drowned witches, branded adulterers, believed in slavery, made women submissive, denied others to right to worship openly. The point is, the fundamentalists here will eventually adapt and realize it is not just the right thing to do, but Christ-like thing to do. God wants all people to love, be loved, and enter the kingdom of heaven.
Peace.
The UCC has betrayed it's roots and become an apostate church.

The Congregationalists were fundamental in freeing the slaves and setting Hawaiians free from the tyranny of the Alii among numerous other good works.

It has become a dying church of gray heads.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 min cpeter1313 10,048
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 47 min Get Real 98
News Same-sex marriage protesters clash - exchange v... 1 hr Hector 1
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Facts Matter 56,100
News 'Christian Militant' Hopes More Police Officers... 1 hr Hector 6
Nebraska Morning News 1 hr Hector 2
News Senate hopeful Roy Moore: gay sex is the 'same ... 2 hr EdmondWA 34
News Gay teen against same-sex marriage heckled at u... 2 hr EdmondWA 56
More from around the web