Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Full story: www.smh.com.au 27,196

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Full Story
Robsan5

United States

#16658 Feb 16, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are a translator, you know the importance of context.
I think you are lying.
If not, address the fundamental context of Genesis 1 & 2. Show us your scholarly skill.
Smile.
In context, what word was replaced by homosexual in bibles in 1946, and why is homosexual a better translation?

Snicker Snort.

Robert

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#16659 Feb 16, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
In context, what word was replaced by homosexual in bibles in 1946, and why is homosexual a better translation?
Snicker Snort.
Robert
So you agree that Genesis 1 & 2 set the God designed norm for marriage and sexual activity, right?

Smile.
Granpastur

Pekin, IL

#16660 Feb 16, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker Snort.
Robert
The word 'homosexual' appears in the New Testament, which had positively nothing to do with Hebrew.

Snicker. Snort.

If you really want to know which Greek word corresponds with homosexual, try this: www.biblegateway.com

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#16661 Feb 16, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So you agree that Genesis 1 & 2 set the God designed norm for marriage and sexual activity, right?
Smile.
I think your homophobic god is a peiece of Bull fesses. Hey that's just my opinion.

Location hidden

#16662 Feb 16, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>I think your homophobic god is a peiece of Bull fesses. Hey that's just my opinion.
So why are you on this thread?

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#16665 Feb 16, 2013
Daz22 wrote:
<quoted text>Here is a good translation of Hebrew scriptures condemning homosexual behavior:
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
More emphatic condemnations of course are repeated in the New Testament.
Perhaps this will help you understand how ridiculous the question you have plagiarized really is.
David. This is a very poor translation. Why should anyone believe a word you say?

Welcome back though. We missed your incredibly stupid posts.

Santa Cruz, CA

#16666 Feb 16, 2013
Granpastur wrote:
<quoted text>The word 'homosexual' appears in the New Testament, which had positively nothing to do with Hebrew.
Snicker. Snort.
If you really want to know which Greek word corresponds with homosexual, try this: www.biblegateway.com
It had nothing to do with Paul's letters which were written in Greek also. The word homosexual was invented around the turn of the 20th century David.
Robsan5

United States

#16667 Feb 16, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're a queer piece of shit
Robert
Wow, alternate universe gay Robert, you sure are obsessed with gay/fecal subjects, aren't you? Is that normal in your world? Over here, it's mostly just the guys who are trying to repress their homosexual desires that are so obsessed with that stuff.

Robert
Join Free
Robsan5

United States

#16668 Feb 16, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
Nope. Only an idiot make such an all-encompassing declaration based on such a small sample.
Oops, sorry!
So what word was replaced with homosexual in bibles in 1946, and why is homosexual a better translation?

Snicker Snort.

Robert
Gregory twirls and spins

Burlington, WI

#16670 Feb 17, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So why are you on this thread?
We might ask you the same question.

Location hidden

#16671 Feb 17, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Only an idiot make such an all-encompassing declaration based on such a small sample.
Oops, sorry!
So what word was replaced with homosexual in bibles in 1946, and why is homosexual a better translation?
Snicker Snort.
Robert
Sorry honey, that's all He wrote in Genesis about creation. And there was absolutely no indication of any other design or intent.

Moveover, I agree, only an idiot would "make an all-encompassing declaration based on such a small sample."

However, I don't. I take the whole Bible as context. You however, want to take one word, segregated from the context and "make an all-encompassing declaration based on such a small sample." And to top it off, you bias your conclusion against the likely interpretation of that segregated word!

Your bias is showing...

Smirk.

Location hidden

#16672 Feb 17, 2013
Gregory twirls and spins wrote:
<quoted text>
We might ask you the same question.
Pretty clear for someone with a brain and a conscience.

Having trouble comprehending?

Perhaps that is why you resort to ad homoan gay twirl troll attacks?

Snicker smirk.

“Can't help being fabulous”

Since: Dec 10

Sparkle <3

#16673 Feb 17, 2013
The zealous homophobic argument:
- Homosexuality is condemned in the Bible. Therefore it is wrong to be gay. Therefore I am able to justify my hatred towards you.

Reasonable modern argument:
-The same part of the Bible that condemns homosexuality is the same part that condemns shrimp, pork, haircuts, shaving, wearing two different fabrics and planting two different seeds in the same field.
- Anyone who follows Leviticus to the letter in modern society would rightly be locked away in a mental institution
- Christianity is only one of many religions, and the Bible itself is open to many interpretations.
- The Christian Bible carries the overall view of not judging people and loving each other. Judgement should be saved for God etc.
- Homosexuality, Homosexual relationships, and Homosexual marriages have been widely recorded in history and predates Christianity by thousands of years.
- Not everyone shares the views portrayed by Christians, and many Christians do not have an issue with homosexuality. It is against your own religion and also that of western society to impose hateful views on others (imposing hateful views is similar to the Nazi party in the late 30s...)
Robsan5

United States

#16674 Feb 17, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry honey, that's all He wrote in Genesis about creation. And there was absolutely no indication of any other design or intent.
Moveover, I agree, only an idiot would "make an all-encompassing declaration based on such a small sample."
However, I don't. I take the whole Bible as context. You however, want to take one word, segregated from the context and "make an all-encompassing declaration based on such a small sample." And to top it off, you bias your conclusion against the likely interpretation of that segregated word!
Your bias is showing...
Smirk.
You're calling me "honey"?!?
Well, Genius, we are still waiting for you to say what word was replaced with homosexual in bibles in 1946, and why homosexual is a better translation. Make sure you answer in context, of course.

Snicker Snort.

Robert
Robsan5

United States

#16675 Feb 17, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty clear for someone with a brain and a conscience.
Having trouble comprehending?
Perhaps that is why you resort to ad homoan gay twirl troll attacks?
Snicker smirk.
Genius, spelling "ad hominem" with your anti-homosexual slant is itself an ad hominem attack.

Snicker Snort.

Robert

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#16676 Feb 17, 2013
Daz22 wrote:
<quoted text>Here is a good translation of Hebrew scriptures condemning homosexual behavior:
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
More emphatic condemnations of course are repeated in the New Testament.
Perhaps this will help you understand how ridiculous the question you have plagiarized really is.

What ancient Hebrew word is there for homosexual?

Finally unbanned?

LOL.....

The Mountain Empire

#16677 Feb 17, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are a translator, you know the importance of context.
I think you are lying.
If not, address the fundamental context of Genesis 1 & 2. Show us your scholarly skill.
Smile.
You can't have context without a word.

The Mountain Empire

#16678 Feb 17, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Your bias is showing...
Smirk.

One word can't be that hard to find, you made the claim. prove it.

Also, you've conveniently neglected to mention the other historical finds that make some (which one you haven't shared) Bibles more accurate.

Still waiting, again and again.....

Santa Cruz, CA

#16681 Feb 17, 2013
Akmedsupply wrote:
The bible does speak of men laying with men and women laying with women as an abomination in the eyes of god. The bible was strict about the fact that this was not god's natural order just the same as race mixing yet with each day that passes we learn to tolerate it and promote it which basically means we are tolerating evil which makes us wrong for doing so. Homosexuality is wrong and if you are a homo you can ask forgiveness and repent of your ways and god will forgive you or you can continue in your sinful ways of the flesh and parish forever!
Care to elaborate on the history and philosophical origin of natural law or is this just another condemnation from an asshat?

Location hidden

#16683 Feb 17, 2013
Kesla15 wrote:
The zealous homophobic argument:
- Homosexuality is condemned in the Bible. Therefore it is wrong to be gay. Therefore I am able to justify my hatred towards you.
Reasonable modern argument:
-The same part of the Bible that condemns homosexuality is the same part that condemns shrimp, pork, haircuts, shaving, wearing two different fabrics and planting two different seeds in the same field.
- Anyone who follows Leviticus to the letter in modern society would rightly be locked away in a mental institution
- Christianity is only one of many religions, and the Bible itself is open to many interpretations.
- The Christian Bible carries the overall view of not judging people and loving each other. Judgement should be saved for God etc.
- Homosexuality, Homosexual relationships, and Homosexual marriages have been widely recorded in history and predates Christianity by thousands of years.
- Not everyone shares the views portrayed by Christians, and many Christians do not have an issue with homosexuality. It is against your own religion and also that of western society to impose hateful views on others (imposing hateful views is similar to the Nazi party in the late 30s...)
Honey, you clearly don't know sh/t about the Bible, let alone the laws and not to mention comparing anything to the Nazi's.

I assert you have posted someone else's thinking and are incapable of defending any single aspect of it.

Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adebisi Alimi: Gay Nigerian Actor Puts His Sexu... 57 min EdmondWA 3
Taco Bell Responds To 'Leaked' Gay Commercial 1 hr EdmondWA 5
Biggest Gay Lies (May '14) 3 hr eyeful 2,735
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 3 hr eyeful 3,165
Report: Waveland mayor first in state to public... 4 hr Fa-Foxy 9
Judge resigns so he won't have to marry gay cou... 5 hr Rick in Kansas 798
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 5 hr Rick in Kansas 83
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 5,383
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 7 hr uSUCK 6,179
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 7 hr Cali BoI 2014 68,616