Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Full story: www.smh.com.au 25,992

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Full Story

Since: Jul 10

Denver, CO

#12629 Oct 29, 2012
And of course no one can keep the Law (Commandments) so we are not under the Law of works but are under the Law of faith (Rom 3:27,28), saved if we believe in the name of the only-begotten Son of God, whose name is called 'The Word of God' in Rev 19:13.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#12630 Oct 29, 2012
No Surprise wrote:
Commandment 9 "Again you have heard that it was said to those of old,'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord. But I say to you, do not swear at all" (Mat 5:33-34). "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts...false witness...These are the things which defile a man" (Mat 15:19-20). "You shall not bear false witness" (Mat 19:18). "Do not bear false witness" (Mk 10:19). "You know the commandments:...Do not bear false witness" (Luke 18:20). "And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars" (Rev 2:2).
Commandment 10 "Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on" (Mat 6:25). "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts...These are the things which defile a man" (Mat 15:19-20). "...covetousness...All these evil things come from within and defile a man" (Mk 7:22-23).
"I have kept My Father's commandments" (John 15:10).
So it is clear that Jesus taught everyone of the ten commandments and that he also kept them.
Any more ludicrous questions reverend?
In your first post,#12623 above, you began your concordance-driven diatribe, listing Matthew 22:37. You then continued to quote scripture after scripture, passage after passage, through three more lengthy posts.

Then, proud of yourself, you thought it necessary to ridicule and show your disdain.

Only this ludicrous question:

Why did you leave out the balance of what Jesus said, being Matthew 22:39-40?

Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?
He said to him, " 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the greatest and first commandment.
And a second is like it:'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

“Marriage equality for all”

Since: Jul 07

Illinois

#12631 Oct 29, 2012
Two shay.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#12632 Oct 29, 2012
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
What is to explain? Jesus was making a statement concerning the sons and daughters of God on this earth.
The man asking the question may have seen Jesus for what he appeared to be, a master/teacher/rabbi of the teachings of God and not God himself.
In kind, Jesus answered as the question was asked of how the man saw him, not for what he truly was. So Jesus tried to teach the man that all children of God fell short of being called good because of sin. But that the way to becoming a good person was to keep the commandments of God. And keeping the commandments of God should assure one eternal life in the hereafter.
That's a subjective rationalization. You don't actually know what he meant. Quite literally, Jesus is a separate entity to God the father right?(SMILE)

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#12633 Oct 30, 2012
Not for RevKen:

It's reported. He is degrading, isn't he? Talking negative about other people?
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
In your first post,#12623 above, you began your concordance-driven diatribe, listing Matthew 22:37. You then continued to quote scripture after scripture, passage after passage, through three more lengthy posts.
"lengthy posts": This seems to be talking negative, isn't it? Trying to degrade other people? Is that a fair way of being in here? What do you say guys?

When will RevKen get his punishment. It might come?

RevKen wrote:
Then, proud of yourself, you thought it necessary to ridicule and show your disdain.
Wonder how RevKen can know if this guy is proud of himself. Did he say that? If not, can RevKen read other peoples mind? If he thinks he can, he might have a problem?

It wasn't very much ridiculing, was it? Maybe one sentence? But if it was, I guess it is not good?

RevKen wrote:
He said to him, " 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the greatest and first commandment.
And a second is like it:'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
Not sure what he is saying here, but it is something degrading isn't it?

RevKen on his way to a terrible place, isn't he? Really, really terrible as long as he keeps on with this?

I forgive him everything.

:)

“Can't help being fabulous”

Since: Dec 10

Sparkle <3

#12634 Oct 30, 2012
It's surprising how the supposed "die-hard" christians who are meant to be expressing love and forgiveness and constantly preaching Hell and damnation, even though it's mentioned very little in the Bible.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#12635 Oct 30, 2012
Why a Good Person Can Vote Against Same-Sex Marriage
By Dennis Prager

"Next week voters in Maine, Maryland and Washington will vote on whether to redefine marriage to include same-sex couples.

"Given that there are good people on both sides of this issue, how are we to explain their opposing views?

"The primary explanation is this: Proponents and opponents ask two different questions.

"Proponents of same-sex marriage ask: Is keeping the definition of marriage as man-woman fair to gays? Opponents of same-sex marriage ask: Is same-sex marriage good for society?...

"Is the man-woman definition of marriage fair to gays who wish to marry? No, it isnít. And those of us opposed to same-sex marriage need to be honest about this, to confront the human price paid by some people through no fault of their own and figure out ways to offer gay couples basic rights associated with marriage.

"But whether a policy is fair to every individual can never be the only question society asks in establishing social policy. Eyesight standards for pilots are unfair to some terrifically capable individuals. Orchestra standards are unfair to many talented musicians. A mandatory retirement age is unfair to many people. Wherever there are standards, there will be unfairness to individuals."

http://www.rightwingnews.com/column-2/why-a-g...

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#12636 Oct 30, 2012
Kesla15 wrote:
It's surprising how the supposed "die-hard" christians who are meant to be expressing love and forgiveness and constantly preaching Hell and damnation, even though it's mentioned very little in the Bible.
Agree.
I would simply like to meet one who practiced what they preached.
Some areas in the south are full of them .
They are good for some laughs but after 10 minutes you wind up mentally exhausted.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#12637 Oct 30, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Copy and paste job, no thinking required.

http://icgwp.tripod.com/ten.html

Location hidden

#12638 Oct 30, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Copy and paste job, no thinking required.
http://icgwp.tripod.com/ten.html
It sure would seem so. You can't very well open up the Book and read these things without taking in some of the surrounding context. That is, unless one intentionally leaves something important out.

The whole nature of this question, reflected in the Thread Topic, is about the Spirit of the Law versus the Letter of the Law. The Thread Topic is about these two ideas:

1. Cause for belief in Spirit.

2. The legitimacy of the Human Being as a Divine person.

One follows the other. Both are similar to the intent shown by Jesus in defining Two Commandments as the structure upon which hang all the Law and the Prophets.

Even modern Law is argued by employing both of these principles - the body of statutory Law, the "Letter," together with leniences found through case history, interpretation and Common Law, the "Spirit."

They both have value. But, ultimately, the judge is found in error if he or she relies entirely upon the strictness of the Letter.

Love exists, both as the pitch and the catch.

Rev. Ken

“Can't help being fabulous”

Since: Dec 10

Sparkle <3

#12640 Oct 30, 2012
Jose - in Miami wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree.
I would simply like to meet one who practiced what they preached.
Some areas in the south are full of them .
They are good for some laughs but after 10 minutes you wind up mentally exhausted.
Indeed, to be honest rather than taking these threads seriously I just enjoy watching the trolls squirm. Though I find I can skip about 20 pages and not miss much, they tend to repeat the same argument.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#12645 Oct 30, 2012
unigenito wrote:
And of course no one can keep the Law (Commandments) so we are not under the Law of works but are under the Law of faith (Rom 3:27,28), saved if we believe in the name of the only-begotten Son of God, whose name is called 'The Word of God' in Rev 19:13.
You are calling Jesus a liar!

Jesus: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments and shall teach men so, he shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven...." (Matt. 5:17-19) and "it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fall" (Luke 16:17) and "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: all therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do" (Matt. 23:2-3) and (John 7:19, Mark 1:44)
TheNukedFarma

Elgin, IL

#12646 Oct 30, 2012
Mr. Reverend Alan, dude if Jesus was a lair (which he was(I'm atheist )) than who the hell is god????????? I believe that persons whom are not straight should be who they feel is them.?????? Did I just write that:$???????

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#12647 Oct 31, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
It sure would seem so. You can't very well open up the Book and read these things without taking in some of the surrounding context. That is, unless one intentionally leaves something important out.
The whole nature of this question, reflected in the Thread Topic, is about the Spirit of the Law versus the Letter of the Law. The Thread Topic is about these two ideas:
1. Cause for belief in Spirit.
2. The legitimacy of the Human Being as a Divine person.
One follows the other. Both are similar to the intent shown by Jesus in defining Two Commandments as the structure upon which hang all the Law and the Prophets.
Even modern Law is argued by employing both of these principles - the body of statutory Law, the "Letter," together with leniences found through case history, interpretation and Common Law, the "Spirit."
They both have value. But, ultimately, the judge is found in error if he or she relies entirely upon the strictness of the Letter.
Love exists, both as the pitch and the catch.
Rev. Ken
I don't pay any attention to No Surprise, he tried to give me info about Jews from Rev. Ted Pike, one of the biggest anti-Semites around.

It did give me a good laugh.

Keep on with the truth brother.......
Caleb

Pekin, IL

#12648 Oct 31, 2012
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, to be honest rather than taking these threads seriously I just enjoy watching the trolls squirm. Though I find I can skip about 20 pages and not miss much, they tend to repeat the same argument.
The homofascist trolls can keep repeating and squirming all they want. Not one of them has been able to cite ANY Bible translation, ancient Bible text, or Judeo-Christian tradition that places in question the Bible's many commands against all homosexual behavior.

Location hidden

#12649 Oct 31, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>

Keep on with the truth brother.......
Not for Middleway:

Middleway talks about RevKen; RevKen threats people (me, as far as I can see) like shit, and Middleway say that RevKen is a man of truth?

How can Middleway say that? What does Middleway think truth is? What are the fruits of the Spirit? Isn't it love, peace, joy, not asshole-behaviour?

Doesn't Yeshua tell us to love each other?

Is it love to insult other people? How can RevKen be full of Truth?

Maybe RevKen and Middleway are of the same Spirit?

Location hidden

#12651 Oct 31, 2012
Manmanman wrote:
<quoted text>
Not for Middleway:
Middleway talks about RevKen; RevKen threats people (me, as far as I can see) like shit, and Middleway say that RevKen is a man of truth?
How can Middleway say that? What does Middleway think truth is? What are the fruits of the Spirit? Isn't it love, peace, joy, not asshole-behaviour?
Doesn't Yeshua tell us to love each other?
Is it love to insult other people? How can RevKen be full of Truth?
Maybe RevKen and Middleway are of the same Spirit?
LOL!!!....

AWWWWW, MMM!

Don't you think I love you, little buddy?

I sure do!

As a matter of fact, I think you are just as full of Baloney as I am. Maybe even MORE! If that is possible.

You could do something to help yourself along, though, at least as pertains to responding on these Topix Episcopal Church threads:

That would be to stop your incessant whining. Of course, far be it from ME to tell YOU what to do. And you could put your ideas forward as your own opinions and then take your lumps for having done so, rightly or wrongly, just like everybody else who posts here. Then you'd be just like the rest of us, instead of acting like a sanctimonious, dirty fly buzzing around the cowpie looking for a warm, wet place to alight and indiscriminately dine.

Of course, if you are still inclined to come in here and puke around and then lap it all up and buzz off again, like a big blue-bottle fly, why,...

That is certainly within your prerogative and no one would expect anything much better from you, seeins that is how you appear to behave in your preferred mode.

Hey! But, we are always ready for a surprise!
Hint: Thread Topic is Homosexuality and the Bible.

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

#12652 Oct 31, 2012
Not for RevKen:

It's reported of course.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!....
AWWWWW, MMM!
He makes fun of, breaks my boundaries, contacts me when I don't want to, uses MMM instead of Manmanman.

I guess he knows very well that he needs to repent, play after fair and respectful rules and so on. If he doesn't want to, I might just observe him because we are not in the same game?:)

RevKen wrote:
Don't you think I love you, little buddy?
I sure do!
Again he contacts me when I guess he knows that I don't want it. His fate might be very terrible, so terrible that it might be just terrible?

RevKen wrote:
As a matter of fact, I think you are just as full of Baloney as I am. Maybe even MORE! If that is possible.
You could do something to help yourself along, though, at least as pertains to responding on these Topix Episcopal Church threads:
That would be to stop your incessant whining. Of course, far be it from ME to tell YOU what to do. And you could put your ideas forward as your own opinions and then take your lumps for having done so, rightly or wrongly, just like everybody else who posts here. Then you'd be just like the rest of us, instead of acting like a sanctimonious, dirty fly buzzing around the cowpie looking for a warm, wet place to alight and indiscriminately dine.
Of course, if you are still inclined to come in here and puke around and then lap it all up and buzz off again, like a big blue-bottle fly, why,...
He seems to want to change me and he compares me with others (just like everybody else who posts here.) Wonder what good comes out of comparing people? Aren't we all originals?:)

It seems to be important for him to change me? If he manages that, will he be happy then?:)

RevKen wrote:
That is certainly within your prerogative and no one would expect anything much better from you, seeins that is how you appear to behave in your preferred mode.
Wonder how he can know what all people would expect from me? Can he read other peoples thoughts?:)

RevKen wrote:
Hey! But, we are always ready for a surprise!
Hint: Thread Topic is Homosexuality and the Bible.
Rev. Ken
"We"? Did he ask everybody if they are ready for a surprise? Wouldn't it be if RevKen talked for himself?

If I wonder what the other mean, I might ask them instead of RevKen telling me what everybody else mean? Isn't it better if each person talks for him/herself?

And in the end he seems to try to tell me what to do again with the hint ;)

Location hidden

#12653 Oct 31, 2012
Correction:

My passage above:

I wrote:

"(just like everybody else who posts here.)"

What is inside the parenthesis is a quote from the writing of RevKen.

Location hidden

#12654 Oct 31, 2012
Not for RevKen:

Wonder if RevKen would be happy if he managed to change me?

What do people achive when they manage to change other people? Is it possible? Is it possible to succeed in that mission?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 8 min WeTheSheeple 3,277
CBS Network's 'Home for the Holidays' Special W... 9 min Cali Gurl 2014 13
Another Day Another NE Jade Thread 11 min Cali Gurl 2014 2
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 15 min NE Jade 56,666
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 21 min George 4,347
Judge overturns Montana's gay marriage ban 35 min WeTheSheeple 54
A Lane County grand jury indicts prominent gay ... 37 min Whinny the Poo 4
Judge resigns so he won't have to marry gay cou... 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 641
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 3,807

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE