Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 36047 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#27464 Sep 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, Box, you wanted God to tell people THREE THOUSAND YEARS AGO about little bugs they couldn't see
As opposed to angels they couldn't see, and demons they couldn't see, and a god they couldn't see?

It's the same thing. Oh, except telling them about germs would have been productive.
KiMare wrote:
, that should change the way they bath and cook, and go to a hospital...
The Bible contains many rituals that are completely arbitrary. Telling people to bath and cook differently wouldn't have been any different, except, again, it would have been productive.

So why doesn't the Bible contain such information? Because the people who wrote it HAD NO IDEA about germs. The Bible god knows nothing about germs.
KiMare wrote:
Do you wonder how primitive humans even came to be aware of the risk of shellfish?
They ate it, and some people got sick. Real mystery there.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#27465 Sep 1, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
As opposed to angels they couldn't see, and demons they couldn't see, and a god they couldn't see?
It's the same thing. Oh, except telling them about germs would have been productive.
<quoted text>
The Bible contains many rituals that are completely arbitrary. Telling people to bath and cook differently wouldn't have been any different, except, again, it would have been productive.
So why doesn't the Bible contain such information? Because the people who wrote it HAD NO IDEA about germs. The Bible god knows nothing about germs.
<quoted text>
They ate it, and some people got sick. Real mystery there.
1. Read up on how not so primitive people in Africa are responding to the Ebola virus and Pakistani people are responding to polio vaccinations. Then explain why your suggestion would have not been far worse.

2. For the Jewish culture, those Laws ended up distinguishing them from all other cultures. Exactly what the Alien predicted would happen.

3. Understanding the intricacies of food handling and preparation were too varied for them to connect and understand the dangers. The same was true for infections. More soldiers died from infection than bullets as recently as the Civil War. The Law commanded Jews to wash wounds in running water and bandage with clean cloths thousands of years earlier.

You have no explanation why one culture received a host of Laws that only now are understood from an Alien.

Smile.

Location hidden

#27466 Sep 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Read up on how not so primitive people in Africa are responding to the Ebola virus and Pakistani people are responding to polio vaccinations. Then explain why your suggestion would have not been far worse.
I already did. Those people already believed in invisible harmful things. Telling them to believe in another, and giving them the information to combat them, would have been helpful.

It didn't happen because the writers had no idea.
KiMare wrote:
2. For the Jewish culture, those Laws ended up distinguishing them from all other cultures. Exactly what the Alien predicted would happen.
Jewish rituals didn't distinguish them in any meaningful way. The Ancient Hebrews were not a particularly important civilization, historically.
KiMare wrote:
3. Understanding the intricacies of food handling and preparation were too varied for them to connect and understand the dangers.
Absurd. Cook your food thoroughly. Wash yourself more. Stay away from feces and dead bodies. These are simple rules.
KiMare wrote:
You have no explanation why one culture received a host of Laws that only now are understood from an Alien.
They didn't. They created laws that match their culture: primitive.

Location hidden

#27467 Sep 1, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I already did. Those people already believed in invisible harmful things. Telling them to believe in another, and giving them the information to combat them, would have been helpful.
It didn't happen because the writers had no idea.
<quoted text>
I won't waste time going any further than this reply.

I was speaking about current events that you clearly are unaware of. Which means you also lied.

You are a lying idiot.

Smile.
Benjamo84

Edmonton, Canada

#27468 Sep 2, 2014
Brit Bloke wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you choose to a void all the big questions around you religion and try to focus on a tiny point. I tried to reply in a way to you that thought you would understand.
Hers one question plain and simple. How do you explain evolution?
Charles Darwin debunked a huge part of your bible with his "Origin of Species" this proved irrefutabley that god could not of made the earth in 7 days. This is the same bible you want to live by and quote.
Should there really need to be an explanation are we both not smart enough to examine the circumstances. I wouldn't argue the existance of evolution cause that would merely be futile. Perhaps if you were more specific you were answering may be helpful for all of us to examine. I would more likely delve into the varying degrees of evolution and that's were we would like fond a few difereces of opinion. Next question. God can make anything and everything and all you would need to do is look up and by up I mean to space. Time is all Relative because it takes half an hour for a space ship to pass by whereas it takes 3 hours for example. If Darwin who documented a small fraction of migratory change over a short period can denounce anything as great as the universe and some of its mysteries including a creator. Einstein the most prominent scientist was able to recognize the level of genious required to create parts of the universe as he revolutionizes some of our ways of thinking, Einstein could come to more reasonable conclusions about the world being created more than he could any sort of explanation to an end of such. You should watch the minute and a half scenography that depicited evolution and how it matched up with the bible and tell me what you think of their depiction. It is a bunch of scences that start from a Big Bang and then formulations of gas, you get the idea as it goes more and more into depth with each picture.

Location hidden

#27469 Sep 2, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't waste time going any further than this reply.
I was speaking about current events that you clearly are unaware of. Which means you also lied.
You are a lying idiot.
Smile.
What an utterly pathetic evasion.

You couldn't refute a single aspect of my post. Our discussion wasn't about current events, but about the Bible and its obvious human origins.

Location hidden

#27470 Sep 2, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
What an utterly pathetic evasion.
You couldn't refute a single aspect of my post. Our discussion wasn't about current events, but about the Bible and its obvious human origins.
Ebola is a modern mutation idiot liar.

Smile.

Location hidden

#27471 Sep 2, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Ebola is a modern mutation idiot liar.
Smile.
Which makes it completely irrelevant to our discussion, which concerned the value that would have been provided if the writers of the Bible had taught its readers about germs and basic steps to prevent people from being harmed by them.

Why does an omniscience god, or advanced alien, appear to have the same level of knowledge as a first millennium BC man?

Location hidden

#27472 Sep 2, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Which makes it completely irrelevant to our discussion, which concerned the value that would have been provided if the writers of the Bible had taught its readers about germs and basic steps to prevent people from being harmed by them.
Why does an omniscience god, or advanced alien, appear to have the same level of knowledge as a first millennium BC man?
Go back and read what you claimed you did originally. Then respond to my point if you can.

Location hidden

#27473 Sep 2, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back and read what you claimed you did originally. Then respond to my point if you can.
I said "This incredibly advanced 'alien' would have saved countless lives by simply informing people about germs and teaching them basic techniques for hygiene, cooking, and medical treatment that combat germs."

It wasn't about Ebola specifically, but all pathogens that could be better handled with knowledge of their existence and how to combat them.

So, again, your post was irrelevant.

Location hidden

#27474 Sep 2, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I said "This incredibly advanced 'alien' would have saved countless lives by simply informing people about germs and teaching them basic techniques for hygiene, cooking, and medical treatment that combat germs."
It wasn't about Ebola specifically, but all pathogens that could be better handled with knowledge of their existence and how to combat them.
So, again, your post was irrelevant.
And I responded to that argument by noting that even today, WITH that added information in two separate situations, people still missed it. Except for the Jews.

Location hidden

#27475 Sep 2, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
And I responded to that argument by noting that even today, WITH that added information in two separate situations, people still missed it.
No, you didn't. You responded by acting incredulous that the ancient Hebrews would have believed any such claims, or followed any such instructions.

I then showed that was false.
KiMare wrote:
Except for the Jews.
The ancient Hebrews were no more advanced than any other culture of their time.

Location hidden

#27476 Sep 2, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you didn't. You responded by acting incredulous that the ancient Hebrews would have believed any such claims, or followed any such instructions.
I then showed that was false.
<quoted text>
The ancient Hebrews were no more advanced than any other culture of their time.
Thats funny, I just showed it again.

Location hidden

#27477 Sep 2, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats funny, I just showed it again.
No, you didn't. All you did was lie about the conversation.

Location hidden

#27480 Sep 2, 2014
Why do many gays acquire a lisp?

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#27484 Sep 2, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So you not only reject what the Bible says, you even deny what medical science and even common sense tell you.
Sad and sick rev.
What exactly was "rejected"? The post consisted of one single sentence, which was a question to you. How in your feeble head is a question magically transformed into some sort of rejection? Oh, that's right, it isn't really, but you just intentionally misrepresent people all the time. Because your a liar. Oh, and you avoided responding to the question. Which also makes you a coward.

Oh, and since you brought up medical science Greg Kirschmann, do you care to provide the peer reviewed medical research that agrees with your OPINIONS about anal sex? Provide the research that clearly states that it is "inherently harmful" and the research that states it is "demeaning".

Of course you won't provide that. Because you're a lying coward. You will simply fundi-spin and just keep typing out your opinions and pretending they are "bottom lines" and that they "clearly" mean something!!!!!! You're routine is hilarious. You reek of desperation old git.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#27485 Sep 2, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Why do fundamentalists marry such god ugly women and then spend all their waking hours thinking about other people's sex?
Cali Girl 2014dal

Sylmar, CA

#27486 Sep 2, 2014
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do fundamentalists marry such god ugly women and then spend all their waking hours thinking about other people's sex?
There's your answer!!! LOL.:)

“It's a bathroom”

Since: Jul 07

Get over it, already

#27488 Sep 2, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Why do hermaphrodites have a Sandy vagina?

Location hidden

#27489 Sep 2, 2014
Wow, look at that gay troll hate.

I post validation about the inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning act of anal abuse and ask a reasonable question, and the only response is vile hate and idiotic gay troll twirl.

Why does a valid position need such evil?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 3 hr Terra Firma 16,168
News Gay club lube dispenser filled with acid 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 28
News Parade kicks off Erie's pride festival 4 hr Gov Corbutt of th... 33
News Juan Gabriel was Mexico's gay icon a " but he n... 4 hr david traversa 1
News Court: Gays can seek parental rights for nonbio... 4 hr david traversa 1
News Transgender Ken doll cake triggers outrage afte... 4 hr Rose_NoHo 60
News Study: Children Of Same-Sex Parents More Likely... 4 hr Rose_NoHo 160
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 hr Lohan 38,912
More from around the web