Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 36052 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

Brit Bloke

Oeiras, Portugal

#27402 Aug 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
First, a host of people disagree with you.
Second, I asked you to explain how a description of radiation got in the Bible. You bailed.
Man up bloke, you don't know what you are doing.
Smile.

just like to add an even greater host of people disagree with you,far more believe in other religions than yours. Without none believers, childish and futile again. Answer some of the big questions . Why is every one else wrong with all the other religions? What about all the atrocities committed in the name of Christianity?.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#27403 Aug 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Second, I asked you to explain how a description of radiation got in the Bible. You bailed.
Smile.
Brit Bloke wrote:
<quoted text>
just like to add an even greater host of people disagree with you,far more believe in other religions than yours. Without none believers, childish and futile again. Answer some of the big questions . Why is every one else wrong with all the other religions? What about all the atrocities committed in the name of Christianity?.
No, your turn, answer mine.

Smile.
Brit Bloke

Oeiras, Portugal

#27404 Aug 27, 2014
There is no need for a reply as I am not a qualified physiologist and I wont be looking at this thread again. Keep the doors locked and Windows shut . Don't go outside for fear of ridicule your madness is complete. When you here the sirens and the blue flashing lights run for the men in their white coats will follow.

Location hidden

#27405 Aug 27, 2014
Brit Bloke wrote:
There is no need for a reply as I am not a qualified physiologist and I wont be looking at this thread again. Keep the doors locked and Windows shut . Don't go outside for fear of ridicule your madness is complete. When you here the sirens and the blue flashing lights run for the men in their white coats will follow.
And he runs with his tail tucked yelling ad homoan insults.

Bye.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#27406 Aug 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Second, I asked you to explain how a description of radiation got in the Bible.
I'll answer for him: it doesn't.

Location hidden

#27407 Aug 27, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll answer for him: it doesn't.
Great. Explain.
GayChristian

Brooklyn, NY

#27408 Aug 27, 2014
Brit Bloke wrote:
<quoted text>
Brit bloke. You can certainly have your opinions, and I fully respect that. Are there inconsistencies in the bible? Absolutely. Parts of the OT that seem not credible? Yes. Doesn’t mean you can’t still believe in God. The bible was written by men. And translated countless times by mortals. Yes there are errors. But you can read the bible, particularly the NT, believe in God, and be gay. Do I believe it is a sin to touch a menstruating woman, eat lobster or bacon, or acceptable to have a concubine? No. Do I believe that God is love, that he loves me, and that I can live in a gay lifestyle and still go to heaven? Yes. I know God tells us many more times that it is not our place to judge others than he does speak of gay relations, so I will simply respect your opinion, and not judge you. Hope you can do the same.

Location hidden

#27409 Aug 27, 2014
GayChristian wrote:
<quoted text>
Brit bloke. You can certainly have your opinions, and I fully respect that. Are there inconsistencies in the bible? Absolutely. Parts of the OT that seem not credible? Yes. Doesn’t mean you can’t still believe in God. The bible was written by men. And translated countless times by mortals. Yes there are errors. But you can read the bible, particularly the NT, believe in God, and be gay. Do I believe it is a sin to touch a menstruating woman, eat lobster or bacon, or acceptable to have a concubine? No. Do I believe that God is love, that he loves me, and that I can live in a gay lifestyle and still go to heaven? Yes. I know God tells us many more times that it is not our place to judge others than he does speak of gay relations, so I will simply respect your opinion, and not judge you. Hope you can do the same.
The Bible does not judge homosexuality. It does condemn the homosexual lifestyle.

You are deceived if you think otherwise.
Serious Mess

Beverly, MA

#27410 Aug 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible does not judge homosexuality. It does condemn the homosexual lifestyle.
Why doesn't the Bible condemn polygamy with the same kind of "abomination" language.

Why is it still ok to eat Pork and shellfish, those are also called Abominations?

The Bible is very inconsistent with its use of words and defining what is a sin.

Why not stick with all the Kosher laws in the Old Testament ?

You have clearly chosen what you like or do not like from the Bible.

So let others decide for themselves what they like or not.

If Homosexuality is so bad, why didn't it make the Ten Commandments?

Location hidden

#27411 Aug 27, 2014
Serious Mess wrote:
<quoted text>
Why doesn't the Bible condemn polygamy with the same kind of "abomination" language.
Why is it still ok to eat Pork and shellfish, those are also called Abominations?
The Bible is very inconsistent with its use of words and defining what is a sin.
Why not stick with all the Kosher laws in the Old Testament ?
You have clearly chosen what you like or do not like from the Bible.
So let others decide for themselves what they like or not.
If Homosexuality is so bad, why didn't it make the Ten Commandments?
Good questions.

1. In certain times and places, polygamy is the best alternative for women and children.

2. Pork and shellfish are primary carriers of disease

3. The OT Law contains three basic types of Laws. Sacrificial, food and dress, and moral. The sacrificial is fulfilled in Christ, the food and dress was set aside. The moral is practiced by following the law of love.

4. A lot of laws didn't make the ten commandments. Homosexuality does not affect that many.

5. As you can see, I didn't decide for myself.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27412 Aug 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
The Bible was written by pre-scientific man. It says nothing about radiation moron.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#27413 Aug 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
False.

NEXT

“It's a bathroom”

Since: Jul 07

Get over it, already

#27414 Aug 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Exodus 33:18-23 (NASB)
Jesus tap-dancing Christ on a pogo stick. You can't stop flogging a dead equine, can you Greg.

“It's a bathroom”

Get over it, already

#27415 Aug 27, 2014
?

“It's a bathroom”

Get over it, already

#27416 Aug 27, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You are pretentiously pious, Pastor. We're well aware that you're a legend in your own mind, but nobody else gives a crap. Really. Nobody. Gives. A. Crap.

Location hidden

#27417 Aug 28, 2014
KiMerde wrote:
<quoted text>
You are pretentiously pious, Pastor. We're well aware that you're a legend in your own mind, but nobody else gives a crap. Really. Nobody. Gives. A. Crap.
Those voices in your head? They are not everybody.

I have some friends who can validate your sanity, care to give it a shot?

Smile.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#27418 Aug 29, 2014
NoahLovesU wrote:
Well I'm going to use the Catholic Faith to back homosexuality.
Catholics frequently say god is outside of space and time; he is infinite. They also say god is love. This directly means love is infinite and outside of space and time. That's true. Can you measure love? So how could love between two males be any different than love between a man and a wonan? It's the same love.
also, People love to say "oh homosexuality isn't natural. Males were brought into existance to fertilize females and procreate." This is right in all animals, EXCEPT humans.
look at the majority of sex humans have. Is it to make babies or out of love? Humans are having sex not to have babies most of the time. So... humans have a recognition of self and the ability to love on another.
Sex is how two humans show affection and LOVE. So. We have learned that sex isn't just about reproducing. It is Actually more in the brain than in the sex organs.
the brain is the largest sex organ in the human body. This officially rules out homosexuality being unnatural because no other species of animal besides humans has a recognition of self.
kthxbai
Dear NoahlovesU,

With respect and encouragement to your further participation here, thank you for posting.

I had a couple of comments to your message above.

First, God may be outside of space and time. But, I also regard God to be fully engaged and present "IN" space and time. Some say that God turned Creation loose and no longer has anything to do with it. Yet, we live in and of Creation, "Space and Time," and we are all inextricably involved with God, even if we believe that no such thing or entity as "God" actually exists.

It may be possible to theorize that "God" is "beyond" space and time, limitless and totally present and yet, ineffable. But, in doing so, even in an effort to be respectful of God, we humans often escape ourselves and use this idea as a justification for certain actions and intents.

We make God out to be something somewhere else than here. And, as a result, we reduce our obligations to be honest with ourselves and to take responsibility for our own actions. I am not saying that you are doing this. But, I am saying that by putting God somewhere beyond the "Beyond," we very conveniently excuse ourselves.

Sex is "designed" to be pleasurable. But, no matter how it occurs or who or what is engaging in the "act," there is an exchange and that exchange is not perfectly equal, except in theory, as a "natural" act.

You are right, in that sex, whether hetero- or homo- is still a matter of love, though it certainly does not have to be. It can be purely a matter of subjugation. It can be filled with or devoid of emotion and respect and trust, whether hetero- or homo-.

The Bible is not always clear about the subject and leaves much unsaid and open to interpretation and misuse. It can also be a very useful guide, in many ways. But, it is not necessarily, just because it IS the Bible, the last word on anything having to do with sex. The Bible represents a lengthy, tribal, progressing understanding of Human knowledge and our living relationship with God and to God through our fellow Humans. Some try to put the Bible at the point of absolute authority and then they wield it like a bludgeon, in order to demand respect and obedience to their personal point of view from others. That is not its intended purpose.

Also, it is very presumptuous of us to assume that we humans are the only ones who are self-aware. In fact, it is well-proven that elephants exhibit a true self-awareness, even to the point of being able to recognize themselves in a mirror. Certain Cetaceans are self-aware. The Great Apes, Chimps, Bonobos, Gorillas and Orangs, all show self-awareness to a very obvious level. Even some birds, in particular some species of Grey Parrots, have actually conversed using the concept of a personal "I" in terms of reference to needs and wants.

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

#27419 Aug 29, 2014
NoahLovesU wrote:
Well I'm going to use the Catholic Faith to back homosexuality.
Catholics frequently say god is outside of space and time; he is infinite. They also say god is love. This directly means love is infinite and outside of space and time. That's true. Can you measure love? So how could love between two males be any different than love between a man and a wonan? It's the same love.
also, People love to say "oh homosexuality isn't natural. Males were brought into existance to fertilize females and procreate." This is right in all animals, EXCEPT humans.
look at the majority of sex humans have. Is it to make babies or out of love? Humans are having sex not to have babies most of the time. So... humans have a recognition of self and the ability to love on another.
Sex is how two humans show affection and LOVE. So. We have learned that sex isn't just about reproducing. It is Actually more in the brain than in the sex organs.
the brain is the largest sex organ in the human body. This officially rules out homosexuality being unnatural because no other species of animal besides humans has a recognition of self.
kthxbai
Dear NoahlovesU,

With respect for your further participation here, thank you for posting.

A couple of comments to your message above:

First, God may be outside of space and time. But, I regard God to be fully engaged and present "IN" space and time, too. Some say God turned Creation loose and no longer has anything to do with it. Yet, we live in and of Creation, "Space and Time," and we are all inextricably involved with God, even if we believe that no such thing or entity as "God" actually exists.

It may be possible to theorize that "God" is beyond space and time, limitless, totally present and yet, ineffable. But, in doing so, even in an effort to be respectful of God, we humans often escape ourselves and use this idea as a justification.

We make God out to be something somewhere else than here. As a result, we reduce our obligations to be honest with ourselves and to take responsibility for our own actions. I am not saying that you are doing this. But, I am saying that by putting God somewhere beyond the "Beyond," we very conveniently excuse ourselves.

Sex is "designed" to be pleasurable. It is also a drive. No matter how it occurs or who or what is engaging in the "act," there is an exchange and that exchange is not perfectly equal, except in theory, as a "natural" act.

You are right, in that sex, whether hetero- or homo- is still a matter of love, though it certainly does not have to be. It can be purely a matter of subjugation. It can be filled with or devoid of emotion and respect and trust, whether hetero- or homo-.

The Bible is not always clear about the subject and leaves much unsaid, open to interpretation and misuse. It can also be a very useful guide, in many ways. But, it is not necessarily, just because it IS the Bible, the last word on anything having to do with sex. The Bible represents a lengthy, tribal, progressing understanding of Human knowledge and our living relationship with God and to God through our fellow Humans. Some try to put the Bible at the point of absolute authority and then they wield it like a bludgeon, in order to demand respect and obedience to their personal point of view from others. That is not its intended purpose.

Also, it is very presumptuous to assume that we humans are the only ones who are self-aware. In fact, it is well-proven that elephants exhibit a true self-awareness, even to the point of being able to recognize themselves in a mirror. Certain Cetaceans are self-aware. The Great Apes, Chimps, Bonobos, Gorillas and Orangs, all show self-awareness to a very obvious level. Even some birds, in particular some species of Grey Parrots, have actually conversed using the concept of a personal "I" in terms of reference to needs and wants.

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

#27420 Aug 29, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
First of all, a host of people disagree with each other about a lot of things. A lot of the time, none of them are right.

Second, that "radiation" bit is YOUR own personal interpretation. You show that you really don't know very much about radiation, per se.

As for shining or glowing, the aura of a human being can be seen, if one's sight is attuned to seeing on that level. Is it radiation? Not in the sense that you present.

As for "manning up" and knowing what one is doing, one could plausibly argue that YOU are not one to credibly be giving such advice.

You have bugs on your teeth.

Location hidden

#27421 Aug 29, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You attempt to divorce homosexuality from being homosexual. Then, you conveniently stereotype, in order to foist your views onto others.

No can do, anymore than you can divorce heterosexuality from being heterosexual.

You use a phrase, "homosexual lifestyle," as if it encompasses something. That phrase encompasses nothing. That phrase assumes that a person "chooses" to be homosexual. That assumption, then by default, presumes that a heterosexual is so by choice.

Heterosexuals are heterosexuals because they are heterosexuals. The same goes for everybody else and how they behave sexually. It, sexuality, is not a "lifestyle." It, sexuality, is an expression of the intrinsic nature of the individual human being. It is personal and does not actually allow stereotyping, unless the caveat of individuality is given. That you did not do.

All of us commonly and frequently stereotype each other, as a matter of convenience. Even Jesus did so, saying, "You brood of vipers,..." or "My message is to the Jews."

However, Jesus also regarded each and every human being as a Child of God.

therefore, knowing what we know about human sexuality today, compared to what was known about human sexuality in times past, allows us to regard each other in the way that Jesus regarded the individuals he encountered. That is, with love and understanding, and not with undue stereotyping.

Rev. Ken

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michigan sued after gay couples are rejected fo... 3 min Pat Robertson s F... 12
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 4 min Space ace 2
News Brazil judge rules homosexuality a disease, app... 6 min Dallas 4
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 min Wondering 56,039
News Gay teen against same-sex marriage heckled at u... 6 min Clark 4
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 19 min Get Real 9,780
News Once seen as Ireland's Justin Trudeau, progress... 38 min Clark 1
News Anti-Gay Obama Graffiti Vandal to Spend 90 Days... 1 hr Imprtnrd 16
News Postal survey: gay Muslims shake off conservati... 1 hr T-bag 26
News Worker fired for same sex 'No' vote hits out 13 hr Prosperity Fundie... 11
More from around the web