Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 36060 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#26920 Jun 20, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Britannica is not an authoritative source on Biblical matters or anything else.
Thanks for your jokes.
Show me a translation that communicates your position in the context of the situation.

Otherwise, you simply don't like what it says.

Smile.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#26921 Jun 20, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me a translation that communicates your position in the context of the situation.
Smile.
WTF?

Your post is meaningless drivel.
Belle Sexton

Santa Cruz, CA

#26922 Jun 20, 2014
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
When the Gospel of Matthew isn't written by Matthew, and John's Gospel by John?
"This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true" -- John 21:24.
<quoted text>
So according to an anonymous troll, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are all the same person?
And if you have any more lame questions, look it up in Britannica.
"disciple" NOT "apostle".

"John" is a heavily edited compilation with a core by John the Presbyter, NOT a witness to the events related.

Location hidden

#26923 Jun 20, 2014
Belle Sexton wrote:
<quoted text>
"John" is a heavily edited compilation with a core by John the Presbyter, NOT a witness to the events related.
Exactly. How refreshing to see someone who actually knows something about the Bible.

Location hidden

#26924 Jun 20, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?
Arguing who wrote what is meaningless.

What the passage says IS the only issue we can address.

Now put up or shut up.

Smile.

Location hidden

#26925 Jun 20, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
<quoted text>
Arguing who wrote what is meaningless.
What the passage says IS the only issue we can address.
Now put up or shut up.
Smile.
Stop whining boring POS.

Your worthless opinions mean nothing.

Location hidden

#26926 Jun 21, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop whining boring POS.
Your worthless opinions mean nothing.
Limp.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#26927 Jun 21, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Britannica is not an authoritative source on Biblical matters or anything else ....
You're describing yourself, not Britannica. Or was that supposed to be a joke?
Belle Sexton wrote:
<quoted text>
John and the other 11 apostles are referred to as disciples throughout his Gospel.

John 21:20-24 (NIV)

20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them.(This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said,“Lord, who is going to betray you?”) 21 When Peter saw him, he asked,“Lord, what about him?”

22 Jesus answered,“If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.” 23 Because of this, the rumor spread among the believers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said,“If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?”

24 This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.

These verses all refer to the same disciple, John, the "beloved disciple" (20:2). The Twelve Apostles are the primary disciples of Jesus of Nazareth.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#26928 Jun 21, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?
These responders who are aimlessly trying to refute your statements do not even know the history of the writing of the Gospels, as they are now understood to have been composed and known to have been written.

Not one of the synoptic gospels was written by an eye-witness Apostle, even though they bear the Apostles' names. Three, Matthew, Mark and Luke, used the same basic source, often now called the Gospel of Q or "quelle," which has not been found, yet, but which "source" almost certainly existed at one point very early on and from which much material was gleaned. However, that source may have been a version or a manuscript gospel similar to the Gospel of Thomas.

This Gospel, Thomas, is the only probable eye-witness gospel, known to exist at this time - and no original manuscripts of this gospel are known to exist. It is a list of the sayings of Jesus and is not a "life or ministry account," as are the other synoptic Gospels What we do have are early copies. Even so, modern Christian fundamentalists, instead of embracing the Gospel of Thomas, shy away from it because of its supposedly "Gnostic" character.

The Gospel of John is the closest to a "Gnostic" viewpoint. But, in fact, it is a hybrid Gospel, incorporating certain elements of Greek philosophy that are not part of the purely Hebrew view.

I wish Snyper was still on these boards to elaborate on these facts. But, I have not seen his comments posted here for a few months.

Keep up the good work WasteWater.

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

#26929 Jun 21, 2014
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
You're describing yourself, not Britannica. Or was that supposed to be a joke?
<quoted text>
John and the other 11 apostles are referred to as disciples throughout his Gospel.
John 21:20-24 (NIV)
20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them.(This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said,“Lord, who is going to betray you?”) 21 When Peter saw him, he asked,“Lord, what about him?”
22 Jesus answered,“If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.” 23 Because of this, the rumor spread among the believers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said,“If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?”
24 This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.
These verses all refer to the same disciple, John, the "beloved disciple" (20:2). The Twelve Apostles are the primary disciples of Jesus of Nazareth.
ad hominem fallacy followed by more circular reasoning.

Try again

Location hidden

#26930 Jun 21, 2014
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
These responders who are aimlessly trying to refute your statements do not even know the history of the writing of the Gospels, as they are now understood to have been composed and known to have been written.
Not one of the synoptic gospels was written by an eye-witness Apostle, even though they bear the Apostles' names. Three, Matthew, Mark and Luke, used the same basic source, often now called the Gospel of Q or "quelle," which has not been found, yet, but which "source" almost certainly existed at one point very early on and from which much material was gleaned. However, that source may have been a version or a manuscript gospel similar to the Gospel of Thomas.
This Gospel, Thomas, is the only probable eye-witness gospel, known to exist at this time - and no original manuscripts of this gospel are known to exist. It is a list of the sayings of Jesus and is not a "life or ministry account," as are the other synoptic Gospels What we do have are early copies. Even so, modern Christian fundamentalists, instead of embracing the Gospel of Thomas, shy away from it because of its supposedly "Gnostic" character.
The Gospel of John is the closest to a "Gnostic" viewpoint. But, in fact, it is a hybrid Gospel, incorporating certain elements of Greek philosophy that are not part of the purely Hebrew view.
I wish Snyper was still on these boards to elaborate on these facts. But, I have not seen his comments posted here for a few months.
Rev. Ken
Exactly. They are ignorant of how the Bible came into being.

Location hidden

#26931 Jun 21, 2014
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rev. Ken
Snyper has passed away to join the angels.

RIP

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#26932 Jun 21, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
RIP
I am very sorry to hear this. I wondered what had happened.

I must say that I am deeply appreciative for the time he gave and the expression of his considerable faith and knowledge, over the past couple of years, on these threads.

He was very helpful here, more than most can understand.

Thank you for informing me.

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

#26933 Jun 21, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. They are ignorant of how the Bible came into being.
How the Bible came to be is unsettled speculation on an intellectual level. There will never be agreement, because there is too much we don't know.

What it says about this issue is not.

It is why the rev is incapable of arguing from the context.

Smile.

Location hidden

#26934 Jun 21, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
RIP
The Puritans had a saying,

"We are not ready to live until we are ready to die."

What angels are you talking about?

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#26935 Jun 21, 2014
Joe DeCaro wrote:
When the Gospel of Matthew isn't written by Matthew, and John's Gospel by John?
"This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true" -- John 21:24.
Most of the gospels were written down between 55 A.D. and 140 A.D.
Seeing as the average lifespan at the time was 30-39 years of age, and living until 50 was extremely rare, it is only logical that the original disciples did not write down the books themselves. Keep in mind, only 2 were disciples of Jesus (John and Matthew), Mark was a disciple of Peter, and Luke was a disciple of St. Paul. So, the latter two were not direct witnesses to the events.
http://carm.org/when-were-gospels-written-and...
http://www.catholicherald.com/stories/Straigh...

Location hidden

#26936 Jun 21, 2014
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
I must say that I am deeply appreciative for the time he gave and the expression of his considerable faith and knowledge, over the past couple of years, on these threads.
Rev. Ken
He was a great guy. Very scholarly. I miss both he and Golem.

Location hidden

#26937 Jun 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The Puritans had a saying,
"We are not ready to live until we are ready to die."
What angels are you talking about?
Want to see angels? Look in your pig pen. You may find them wallowing in the filth.
Jane

Crestwood, KY

#26938 Jun 21, 2014
1 Cor. 6:9 is the place where it uses the word Homosexual and is wrong. But in other places it even says not to have meals with them like 1 Cor. 5:11

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#26939 Jun 21, 2014
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rev. Ken
Yes, RIP Snyper. He is sadly missed by us all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 min dollarsbill 17,670
News Trump appointee resigns after racist, sexist an... 13 min Lawrence Wolf 99
News Why Gay Is Not the New Black 16 min Wondering 17
News Gay Cakes Are Not a Constitutional Right 19 min Wondering 990
News Texas middle school teachers resign after anti-... 25 min TerriB1 13
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 28 min Wondering 657
News Police plan to ramp up security at Jackson Brow... 31 min Aspirin Between M... 1
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 4 hr Ramos 27,304
More from around the web