Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 36029 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#25287 Feb 12, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
What we are really doing is quibbling about the punishment. We are not quibbling about whether it was permitted or not. That is a settled issue. It was not.
You're missing the point. The "punishment" involves *MORE RAPE* for the victim. Hebrew law did not recognize the right of a woman to refuse to have sex with her husband. It allowed marital rape.
Charlie Feather wrote:
Maybe you are not happy about this, but you really don't have an argument left. Rape was not permitted in the Bible.
Non-consensual sex, also known as rape, was permitted (by husbands). Given that marriage itself did not require consent, their law allowed men to have sex with women of their choosing, without the woman's consent.

Location hidden

#25288 Feb 12, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
This just keeps getting weirder and weirder.
A contradiction tells one that something is not right. Maybe further research is needed.
I agree.
Charlie Feather wrote:
Anyway, Eve had a brain and could have put two and two together. She wasn't a child. She was a fully functioning adult and probably smarter than you are now.
What gives you the impression that Adam and Eve had a high level of intelligence? Clearly Eve didn't register the contradiction and deduce that maybe she should inquire further. Neither had "knowledge of good and evil", which also places them pretty firmly in the child-zone, even by Biblical standards.

Since: Jun 13

Anchorage, AK

#25290 Feb 12, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
-
Akopen! I get it! You can stop flogging that dead horse! What I think was the intent of the townsmen was to "lie with a male in the same way a man lies with a woman." It was their way of saying hello.( Inhospitable, indeed!!) I see nothing wrong with that. In Russia, men kiss each other on the mouth as a greeting. In some European countries as well. In others, the men give each other the 'bise', and in some countries around the world the men even shake hands……ewww!
I don't know. All of that seems a lot like homosexual behavior to me, but what do I know?
Nothing, Charlie. Not that I can tell.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#25291 Feb 12, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
What was different about the Israelites was that their constitution separated them from other peoples. Israel was establishing their identity. They were few but they also consisted of all walks of life; representative of all mankind. They needed a separate and holy identity. They had one g-d and it was to be representative of the Creator.
Medical examples are a poor and useless comparison where homosexuality is concerned. Homosexuality is not a disease.
-
In other words, obeying the interdictions on these sexual practices were a means by which a people could signify their membership in a holy congregation, order or community separate from the unholy and heathen people around them. It would be similar to taking vows in a religious or monastic order or some such, where the internal rules would have no implications for those people who are not initiates in that order.
-
You just don't get it. Go back and read over my comments that you don't get it.
-
Did I get it?

I can accept that. There would not be the same moral obligations and constraints on those outside the order, nor expectations that they abide by these. This is why Christians do not feel obligated to abide by the requirements of Judaism. Christians are members of another order with their own internal rules. However, the implications for those not within this holy congregation would ultimately be eternal damnation, which is what Christians continue to warn people of. So, it would behoove people to seek entry into this order, if this is truly the case.

But. actually that interpretation is just another iteration of moral relativism. God, surely, has universal standards of morality, and this would certainly include an interdiction on homosexual behavior.
-

Anchorage, AK

#25292 Feb 12, 2014
Jacob wrote:
<quoted text>
What? What does Lacon mean?
If you are a Biblicist then you are a Lacon, for Biblicists of Lacon, Ill.
I made this clear in a previous post.

Location hidden

#25293 Feb 12, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you admitting there were no rules in Genesis? A God who kills without laying out the rules is simply a murderer. Therefore the God of Genesis doesn't really exist at all to the point is moot. What was the dialogue with Abraham all about? The flood simply restates the idea that all life can restart given a male and female. Since none of this actually happened it makes no difference does it. I never stereotype people. There were many good people in Nazi Germany and the communist countries as well. If you mean Hitler and his goons or Stalin and his goons, I have to agree. Executing people goes against a culture of life and empathy.
-
The characterization of murderer, however, relies on the existence of a rule, as murder is a legal concept. Murder is unlawful killing, which implies a law. But where there are no rules or laws, no one can kill unlawfully and be a murderer. One can only kill.

You might say, then, that God is a killer, but not a murderer. Killer, however, doesn't have the same stigma that murderer has, since we all kill…… insects, germs, game animals, fish, etc.

In Genesis, there was the Law of the Talion and the interdiction on consuming blood, so it would be inaccurate to say there were no rules.

Location hidden

#25294 Feb 12, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
Other denunciations apply equally as well. They were meant for the 12 tribes to separate themselves from other nations.
Israel was to be separate and holy. Don't get all excited about the word holy. Holy simply means that the Israel nation separated themselves from other nations by their actions and that was holy, man-made self designation of a people, the people of Israel.
So, you claim that the laws in leviticus have no universal application, but were primarily designed for the Israelites to say to the nations, "We are not like you. We are apart from you. We are a holy people of God unlike you."

Do you believe that there is any sort of universal morality that is applicable to all of humanity?

Is it likely that God used Israel as a model of society for the nations to follow?

Concerning homosexuality and other sexual practices and acts: Do you claim that these practices and acts are only forbidden to the Israelites, the violations of which will incur God's wrath, whereas, the nations will be spared from God's wrath because those interdictions are not applicable to them?

Location hidden

#25295 Feb 12, 2014
Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible? Gods only law is love.
-
You are beginning to get on my nerves, Angel. If you are claiming to be some sort of prophet of God with a new doctrine, then you have got to walk on water or raise the dead or something.

Location hidden

#25296 Feb 12, 2014
Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you keep saying that?
Deut
25 But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die. 26 But unto the damsel thou shalt do nothing; there is in the damsel no sin worthy of death: for as when a man riseth against his neighbor, and slayeth him, even so is this matter: 27 For he found her in the field, and the betrothed damsel cried, and there was none to save her. 28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; 29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days
-
"28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;"

This seems that it could also be consensual sex, or non-resistant sex, and not rape that would involve violence.

Location hidden

#25297 Feb 12, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. There are disparate stories in the Bible. For example, the two creation stories are mutually exclusive. God would know how much water is in the world. There isn't enough water to cover Mt. Ararat.
-
And if Mt. Arafat were the result of the flood?
-
What's more, God would know that the world is over 4 billion year old, yet Mt. Ararat is but a few thousand years old. Nobody knows the mind of God. How pretentious.
-
It is "tuned in to the mind of God" not "know the mind of God." Yes, there is a difference.

Location hidden

#25298 Feb 12, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me. Leviticus did not exist. How could they think those words? What's more, it is completely impossible to do that. Besides, it is also a well known mistranslation. What it actually meant was to never sleep with another man in your wife's bed.
-
Oh, yeah! Like sleeping with a man in your wife's bed is such horrible thing that there has to be a special interdiction on this!

Do you ever think about the things you say?

Location hidden

#25299 Feb 12, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't follow.
Two people can believe in completely different supreme beings, with different personalities, different viewpoints, and different systems.
Different 'supreme beings' is a contradiction in terms. It is said that all great minds think alike. That is because great minds discover universal truths, and these are all the same truths. It is the same thing with God. If there is one God, and many people seek Him, then they will all find the same God.

Location hidden

#25300 Feb 12, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
You're missing the point. The "punishment" involves *MORE RAPE* for the victim. Hebrew law did not recognize the right of a woman to refuse to have sex with her husband. It allowed marital rape.
<quoted text>
Non-consensual sex, also known as rape, was permitted (by husbands). Given that marriage itself did not require consent, their law allowed men to have sex with women of their choosing, without the woman's consent.
-
-
The government forces me to pay taxes each year all without my consent. Are they doing something evil? With what I've had to pay in taxes, I prefer rape!

Location hidden

#25301 Feb 12, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
<quoted text>
What gives you the impression that Adam and Eve had a high level of intelligence? Clearly Eve didn't register the contradiction and deduce that maybe she should inquire further. Neither had "knowledge of good and evil", which also places them pretty firmly in the child-zone, even by Biblical standards.
-
Well, look! She had just been created and was brand new and already she was talking and arguing with the devil. That's not being intelligent?

Anchorage, AK

#25302 Feb 12, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
-
In other words, obeying the interdictions on these sexual practices were a means by which a people could signify their membership in a holy congregation, order or community separate from the unholy and heathen people around them. It would be similar to taking vows in a religious or monastic order or some such, where the internal rules would have no implications for those people who are not initiates in that order.
-
<quoted text>
-
Did I get it?
I can accept that. There would not be the same moral obligations and constraints on those outside the order, nor expectations that they abide by these. This is why Christians do not feel obligated to abide by the requirements of Judaism. Christians are members of another order with their own internal rules. However, the implications for those not within this holy congregation would ultimately be eternal damnation, which is what Christians continue to warn people of. So, it would behoove people to seek entry into this order, if this is truly the case.
But. actually that interpretation is just another iteration of moral relativism. God, surely, has universal standards of morality, and this would certainly include an interdiction on homosexual behavior.
-
Ya, you got what I wrote only you did not apply what you got in your last statement.
There is no room for your interdiction. So, you got what I said but applied what you wanted it to say. You also miss the point of what morality is about.

They did not get it then and they don't get it now.

Anchorage, AK

#25303 Feb 12, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you claim that the laws in leviticus have no universal application, but were primarily designed for the Israelites to say to the nations, "We are not like you. We are apart from you. We are a holy people of God unlike you."
Do you believe that there is any sort of universal morality that is applicable to all of humanity?
Is it likely that God used Israel as a model of society for the nations to follow?
Concerning homosexuality and other sexual practices and acts: Do you claim that these practices and acts are only forbidden to the Israelites, the violations of which will incur God's wrath, whereas, the nations will be spared from God's wrath because those interdictions are not applicable to them?
No, God does not interfere with Creation because it was as God meant it to be.

Location hidden

#25304 Feb 13, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, God does not interfere with Creation because it was as God meant it to be.
-
Are you going to answer the questions?

Location hidden

#25305 Feb 13, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, you got what I wrote only you did not apply what you got in your last statement.
There is no room for your interdiction. So, you got what I said but applied what you wanted it to say. You also miss the point of what morality is about.
They did not get it then and they don't get it now.
-
So, basically what you are saying is that God in the Bible forbids and condemns the acts described in Leviticus 18 and 20 to His people only, but says nothing about the heathen peoples, nor does He expect them to abide by His standards because they are all going to Hell anyway, so what difference does it make.

If this is a correct inference of your position on the matter, then I would completely agree with you and we can end this discussion.

Location hidden

#25306 Feb 13, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>
Different 'supreme beings' is a contradiction in terms.
No, it isn't. You and I can both fathom supreme beings who operate quite differently. An impersonal god who has absolutely zero interaction with the world is vastly different than one who is intimately involved in it.
Charlie Feather wrote:
If there is one God, and many people seek Him, then they will all find the same God.
By this reasoning, there isn't one god, because many people have sought one and they've found many, many different gods.

Location hidden

#25307 Feb 13, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>-
The government forces me to pay taxes each year all without my consent. Are they doing something evil?
No, they're doing something necessary for society to function. Taxes are also something you are well aware of before paying them, and you have the freedom to move to another society if the way this one functions is not to your liking. Finally, an impact upon your wallet is simply not comparable to an action that damages your person and causes you to fear for your very life.
Charlie Feather wrote:
With what I've had to pay in taxes, I prefer rape!
It's difficult to take your seriously when you make ridiculous statements like this. No one would prefer rape to paying taxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 3 min Frankie Rizzo 12,927
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 8 min Apoca Lips 861
News Obama names Stonewall national monument; first ... 8 min Fa-Foxy 23
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 19 min June VanDerMark 10,643
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 22 min ImFree2Choose 531
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 31 min Brian_G 37,203
News Crowds, tight security expected for Cincinnati ... 47 min Gilbert 1
News Man Accused Of Firing Paintballs At Stockton Ga... 12 hr handjob 41
More from around the web