Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Read more: www.smh.com.au 31,804

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Read more

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#24727 Feb 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, WWII and the Inquisition. Two events that violate historic Catholic doctrine and where more Christians died than anyone else. That is the best you can do???
LOL.
The American Civil War was the anti slavery Christians against the pro slavery Christians and more Americans were killed in this war than any war since. Christians killing Christians because some wanted to follow Christian Family Values and keep their slaves and others wanted to ignore the Bible and do the right thing.

Christianity lost in the American Civil War. And how many American Indian's were killed by Christians? How many Mayan? The list goes on and on and on. Christians are killing machines.

JESUS: Luke 19:27, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them, bring them here and kill them in front of me."

Jesus is just as bad as Momo.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#24728 Feb 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not Catholic.
And you have never been a real Christian either.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#24729 Feb 1, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
AGAIN with the Reification Fallacy?
Lose 1 point.
Yeah, I meant it as a concrete description instead of an analogy.

Seriously snyper, you don't just discredit your posts, you expose your lack of character.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#24730 Feb 1, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
The American Civil War was the anti slavery Christians against the pro slavery Christians and more Americans were killed in this war than any war since. Christians killing Christians because some wanted to follow Christian Family Values and keep their slaves and others wanted to ignore the Bible and do the right thing.
Christianity lost in the American Civil War. And how many American Indian's were killed by Christians? How many Mayan? The list goes on and on and on. Christians are killing machines.
JESUS: Luke 19:27, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them, bring them here and kill them in front of me."
Jesus is just as bad as Momo.
The American Civil War between the States was a continuation of the English Civil War between the Roundheads and the Chevaliers.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#24731 Feb 1, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
I will move to stop the GOP in there tracks and then clean up the Democrats. The GOP is too dangerous to be allowed to continue. If voters decide to keep that status quo of politics then the US will learn the hard way. Funny how history repeats itself.
Over 60% of Americans do not trust either party in the Government. If you want to do something you have got to make Congress divorce itself of the Cronies.

The democrats are every bit as dangerous to our Republic as are the Republicans. Would you trust Nancy Pelosy with a dime?

Crony capitalism is a term describing an economy in which success in business depends on close relationships between business people and government officials. It may be exhibited by favoritism in the distribution of legal permits, government grants, special tax breaks, or other forms of state interventionism.[1] Crony capitalism is believed to arise when business cronyism and related self-serving behavior by businesses or businesspeople spills over into politics and government[2], or when self-serving friendships and family ties between businessmen and the government influence the economy and society to the extent that it corrupts public-serving economic and political ideals.

The term "crony capitalism" made a significant impact in the public arena as an explanation of the Asian financial crisis.[3] It is also used world wide to describe virtually any governmental decisions favoring "cronies" of governmental officials. In many cases, the term is used interchangeably with corporate welfare; to the extent that there is a difference, the latter might be restricted only to direct government subsidies of major corporations, excluding tax loopholes and all manner of regulatory and trade decisions, which in practice could be much larger than any direct subsidies.

Location hidden

#24732 Feb 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I meant it as a concrete description instead of an analogy.
Seriously snyper, you don't just discredit your posts, you expose your lack of character.
Argumentum ad Hominem.

Lose 1 point.

(Your debating score is beginning to resemble the National debt.)

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#24733 Feb 1, 2014
It's 2010. William Hambrecht, a Bay Area financier, has donated more than $1 million to Democrats since 1993. More than $13,000 of that money has gone to Nancy Pelosi, a San Francisco congresswoman who once gave a House floor speech praising "a business pioneer, a philanthropist, and a longtime friend, Bill Hambrecht."

She could have added "business partner." When Hambrecht founded the United Football League in 2009 to try to compete with the NFL, Paul Pelosi Sr.-Nancy's husband-invested $12 million in one of the league's first four teams. In a fortuitous coincidence, Hambrecht's small investment bank has employed Paul Pelosi Jr., the congresswoman's son, for years.

In the waning days of Pelosi's term as speaker of the House, Hambrecht comes to Capitol Hill to testify before the Financial Services Committee. The committee is meeting to discuss a proposed tweak to regulations that govern initial public offerings (IPOs). Hambrecht's company would be the prime beneficiary of the proposal.

Committee Chairman Barney Frank (D-Mass.) pointedly notes at the beginning of the hearing that the regulatory change was not his idea. "I should note also that it was Speaker Pelosi who first called this to our attention earlier in the year.…It is something that the speaker has taken a great interest in because of her interest in job creation, so we have had to find a way to have this hearing."

Both of these scenarios sound sleazy: the kind of influence-peddling, insider-colluding tales that make Americans cynical about Washington. But in fact, only one of the two lobbying campaigns is genuinely objectionable. Explaining why means tackling one of the most important questions for libertarians observing our modern crony-capitalist economy, where the government's tendrils are so intimately entwined with the business world: What sorts of corporate lobbying are morally justified?

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#24734 Feb 1, 2014

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#24735 Feb 1, 2014

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#24736 Feb 1, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Argumentum ad Hominem.
Lose 1 point.
(Your debating score is beginning to resemble the National debt.)
There you go again.

That was not an insult, it was an accurate evaluation of your responses.

You just proved my point.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#24738 Feb 1, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
It's 2010. William Hambrecht, a Bay Area financier, has donated more than $1 million to Democrats since 1993. More than $13,000 of that money has gone to Nancy Pelosi, a San Francisco congresswoman who once gave a House floor speech praising "a business pioneer, a philanthropist, and a longtime friend, Bill Hambrecht."
She could have added "business partner." When Hambrecht founded the United Football League in 2009 to try to compete with the NFL, Paul Pelosi Sr.-Nancy's husband-invested $12 million in one of the league's first four teams. In a fortuitous coincidence, Hambrecht's small investment bank has employed Paul Pelosi Jr., the congresswoman's son, for years.
In the waning days of Pelosi's term as speaker of the House, Hambrecht comes to Capitol Hill to testify before the Financial Services Committee. The committee is meeting to discuss a proposed tweak to regulations that govern initial public offerings (IPOs). Hambrecht's company would be the prime beneficiary of the proposal.
Committee Chairman Barney Frank (D-Mass.) pointedly notes at the beginning of the hearing that the regulatory change was not his idea. "I should note also that it was Speaker Pelosi who first called this to our attention earlier in the year.…It is something that the speaker has taken a great interest in because of her interest in job creation, so we have had to find a way to have this hearing."
Both of these scenarios sound sleazy: the kind of influence-peddling, insider-colluding tales that make Americans cynical about Washington. But in fact, only one of the two lobbying campaigns is genuinely objectionable. Explaining why means tackling one of the most important questions for libertarians observing our modern crony-capitalist economy, where the government's tendrils are so intimately entwined with the business world: What sorts of corporate lobbying are morally justified?
EXACTLY!

Let there be understanding here.

Also, let there be acknowledgment that, although the conceptual arenas of Morality (including moral justification of political effort), Theology and Spiritual Awareness do overlap in part, they are not the same thing.

Mr. Kimare has trouble with understanding and endorsing legitimate reasons for the acceptance of same-sex marriage. He says that he bases his acceptance or rejection on the Biblical recognitions of homosexuality.

But, what he does not do is to accept or reject on the basis of the Teachings of Jesus Christ. In fact, he subducts the conceptual awareness that Jesus is reported as having shown, by driving the concept of "what God has put together" beneath the sacerdotal and theocratic development of marriage as an institution.

Kimare puts the "legal cart before the spiritual horse," so to speak, and then runs backwards full-tilt downhill as the accelerating, slipshod, overburdened and out-of-control contraption threatens to run over him.

No can do.

And, yes. In persistently running in front of his own self-deluding mayhem, while using every trick he can imagine to divert attention from the impending truth, he loses debating points in a hemorrhagic fashion.

He reminds me of a sage saying by the great Satchel Paige.

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

Unfortunately for Kimare, he already knows that the "something" is indeed gaining and so, he is spending nearly all of his precious time looking back.

Rev. Ken

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#24739 Feb 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again.
That was not an insult, it was an accurate evaluation of your responses.
You just proved my point.
Your presence here is an insult to decent normal people.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#24740 Feb 1, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently, Rev Ken, I've addressed a sensitive issue with you. Historically, fascism has moved, similarly as with the introduction of a third assessment of fascism. I addressed your diversion to plutocrats using this third assessment. Apparently, and with your assessment you'd agree with me that their is a real and serious issue in the United States of America that resembles fascism. You are right to say that fascism is clarified by distinct sets of order. You took great offense to my associating the GOP with fascism. What I gather from this discussion is that we both sense this impending doom in these, no longer United States. I blame the Right, be that the GOP. I suggest that you must stop this maddness before it is too late. Do so within your party. As for myself, in intend to expose the hypocracy that the Right claims as Godly. I am insulted that their likes make any claim to "absolute truths."
You know my efforts on homosexuality. You therefore know how I approach these issues. Disagree if you will but do so by reexamining your Christianity too. I am no longer on the edge of Christianity. I've moved on. This does not mean that I do not nor have not strived to understand the differences between Christianity and the Bible. It also means that there is an interesting point that you have briefly addressed regarding the carnality of sexual pleasures. This is moralistic and for some reason, Christianity has become moralistic and that is not Christianity's mission. Sexuality has become synomynous with sin and sex is not the definition of sin. This becomes the beginning of Christianity's departure from the basics of Christianity. Such forsakes the true meaning of sin and Christianity's representation of the truths that represent all mankind.
I will move to stop the GOP in there tracks and then clean up the Democrats. The GOP is too dangerous to be allowed to continue. If voters decide to keep that status quo of politics then the US will learn the hard way. Funny how history repeats itself.
Indeed. Many have bought into bogus economic theories propagated by the wealthy to make them wealthier.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#24741 Feb 1, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your presence here is an insult to decent normal people.
No doubt. That is one of the worst people on Topix.

Since: Jun 13

Anchorage, AK

#24742 Feb 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, hardly the first. Even Jesus wasn't the first.
You fail to distinguish between a religious political system, Islam for instance, and a politician whose faith is integral to every aspect of their personal and private life, ie the free expression of faith guaranteed by the Constitution.
I would suggest you maximize your political efforts by taking care of both parties, big government Dems and big business Republicans by joining the Tea Party fighting for small government and balance spending.
So, it takes politics to draw you back out.

Hardly the first? No. I was talking American politics and when the god card was played.

If God intervened in Creation, then God should squash the Tea Party.

Anchorage, AK

#24743 Feb 1, 2014
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Akopen,
I've always taken an interest in politics. But, I am not affiliated with a particular political party. The Parties do congeal around a basic world view and these veiws, within the two-party system, do have differences.
But, from the perspective of some others, both Parties appear to be nearly identical. I have some Hindu friends who see American political Parties as "Bobsey-twins."
I agree that there are real and serious issues in America and that there are combined and various elements of classically defined types of government influence at stake. It is normal for a country to have a healthy national pride; even somewhat necessary. But, that need not develop into Fascism. Socrates put the interests of the State above all else and died for it. But, that is not what "Christianity" should be about.
Christianity should be about developing a personal Way that reflects in responsible citizenship.
As for "carnality," obsession with sexual gratification is an unbalanced condition within the psyche. The movie, "The Devil in Miss Jones," was an early XXX venture into the obsessive behavior.
Rev. Ken, we are much alike in our ways. I wonder how different our ideolgy is.

I'd say that Christianity is not about politics. It has no place in politics or government. KiMare's quote from George Washingtion was exactly the sentiment of the Founding Fathers. Keeping religion out of government. Now, to get rid of the GOP, the Tea Party, for their efforts to make government more godly (stated as such, with a small g). This is why I will do what I can do to stop the GOP.

It is bad enough that the likes of a Biblicist has the gaul to make absolute statements as if they were absolute truths, God's precepts when Christianity has falsified so much of the basics of what Christianity was in the beginning. Interpretation after interpretation. Making the Bible say what each Christian wants it to say.

My efforts here is just that, to say to the world that no interpretation represents God. It is all man's perception and that becomes dangerous when a country approaches a marriage between Church and State.

I challenge anyone to define sin as sexual activity. If adultery was a married man messing around with a married woman and, OT men could have as many wives as wanted, as well as concubines then that alone states that men were not adulterers with many wives, concubines, women as long as they did not mess with married women. Today we see more than one wife as against the law, as adultery as if today's standards define what the sin was in the OT. Only one example of man's interpretation of what God may or may not say.

I suggest that God said nothing about sexuality. Neither the Bible, OT or NT, nor God. Only man has said anything about sexuality. Augustine did a great diservice to human sexuality.

I get what marriage means to me. I've been with one woman and I committed to her even before I kissed her. I would never divorce my wife and leave her out on the street, so to speak. My marriage is a committment. A life long committment. There is great symbolism in our marriage that presents all the virtues that that Bible catalogues. These catalogues define what we call love today. If one looks towards the Bible to explain life then one realizes that in the beginning the Bible spoke of man's relationship with God.

Similarly what is defined by the catalagues of vices defines sin.

Sin and love. All about relationships. About justice. About life.

Not about moralism.

Anchorage, AK

#24744 Feb 1, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Over 60% of Americans do not trust either party in the Government. If you want to do something you have got to make Congress divorce itself of the Cronies.
The democrats are every bit as dangerous to our Republic as are the Republicans. Would you trust Nancy Pelosy with a dime?
Crony capitalism is a term describing an economy in which success in business depends on close relationships between business people and government officials. It may be exhibited by favoritism in the distribution of legal permits, government grants, special tax breaks, or other forms of state interventionism.[1] Crony capitalism is believed to arise when business cronyism and related self-serving behavior by businesses or businesspeople spills over into politics and government[2], or when self-serving friendships and family ties between businessmen and the government influence the economy and society to the extent that it corrupts public-serving economic and political ideals.
The term "crony capitalism" made a significant impact in the public arena as an explanation of the Asian financial crisis.[3] It is also used world wide to describe virtually any governmental decisions favoring "cronies" of governmental officials. In many cases, the term is used interchangeably with corporate welfare; to the extent that there is a difference, the latter might be restricted only to direct government subsidies of major corporations, excluding tax loopholes and all manner of regulatory and trade decisions, which in practice could be much larger than any direct subsidies.
I could agree with what you say. Let it be known that I too make up that 60%. What happened to, government for the people?

“the final days are upon us”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#24745 Feb 1, 2014
Homosexuality and the Bible

In todays world .. tolerance is king .. and theres no greater tolerance issue than homosexuality .. activists have changed the way mainstream society .. politics .. business .. education .. the media .. thinks about homosexuality .. theyve also changed the way many churches and denominations think about it ... where do you draw the line ?.. more to the point .. where does the Bible draw the line ?... In Homosexuality and the Bible .. John MacArthur challenges popular views about how Christians should interact with homosexuals .. and what God thinks of homosexuality ... filter your questions about homosexuality through the grid of Gods Word .. http://dadmansabode.com/forum/viewtopic.php... .. come and learn

Anchorage, AK

#24746 Feb 1, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Many have bought into bogus economic theories propagated by the wealthy to make them wealthier.
Agreed.

Location hidden

#24747 Feb 1, 2014
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
EXACTLY!
Let there be understanding here.
Also, let there be acknowledgment that, although the conceptual arenas of Morality (including moral justification of political effort), Theology and Spiritual Awareness do overlap in part, they are not the same thing.
Mr. Kimare has trouble with understanding and endorsing legitimate reasons for the acceptance of same-sex marriage. He says that he bases his acceptance or rejection on the Biblical recognitions of homosexuality.
But, what he does not do is to accept or reject on the basis of the Teachings of Jesus Christ. In fact, he subducts the conceptual awareness that Jesus is reported as having shown, by driving the concept of "what God has put together" beneath the sacerdotal and theocratic development of marriage as an institution.
Kimare puts the "legal cart before the spiritual horse," so to speak, and then runs backwards full-tilt downhill as the accelerating, slipshod, overburdened and out-of-control contraption threatens to run over him.
No can do.
And, yes. In persistently running in front of his own self-deluding mayhem, while using every trick he can imagine to divert attention from the impending truth, he loses debating points in a hemorrhagic fashion.
He reminds me of a sage saying by the great Satchel Paige.
"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."
Unfortunately for Kimare, he already knows that the "something" is indeed gaining and so, he is spending nearly all of his precious time looking back.
Rev. Ken
Very Russian of him.

I have another take.

"The evil man flees when no one pursues."

We merely run a parallel course, and his paranoia sees it as pursuit.

Delusions of reference.

An interesting concomitant of his severe overcompensation reaction formation. Unable to be the normal that he desires so fervently, he demands that everyone else be. It's an odd form of hypocrisy, as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Marco Rubio doesn't think sexual orientation is... 4 min radiofreeamerica 8
News Paleologos on the poll: Gay marriage 11 min Le Jimbo 2
News Shop owner will deny - openly gay' customers 13 min Riley 42
News Hillary Clinton has a new position on same-sex ... 14 min Le Jimbo 230
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 16 min NorCal Native 19,200
Are the mods fair and balanced? 18 min NE Jade 466
Did NE Jade Wax His Butt Cheeks Today? 19 min Chuckles 1
News U.S. corporations pressure two states accused o... 23 min NorCal Native 827
More from around the web