Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 36055 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

Since: Jun 13

Anchorage, AK

#22340 Nov 16, 2013
Pock Suppet wrote:
<quoted text>
Some unambiguous examples of precisely how your deity was "extraordinary" and "wise" will suffice for here on Potix.
My deity? Just for shits and giggles. Identify my deity for me so I know just what you are talking about.

Anchorage, AK

#22341 Nov 16, 2013
obedientgirl85 wrote:
The bible may raise issues with homosexuality but you will all find it does restrict a man from having sex with his daughter or his spouses daughter and it does not prevent a woman from having sex with her father or her mothers spouse (aka step father)
While homosexuality may not be allowed, God allows and encourages a loving, sexual relationship between a father and his daughter! This because it is natural for a girl to want her daddy to love her and teach her about all aspects in life including sexuality... She should try to serve and please her father as she would her future husband, and just like her husband will, her father has the right to access and use her body as he wishes! When a man marries her mother he also inherits that right! Love and sex between a father and daughter is healthy and natural!
For someone that questions a deity, you sure use the Bible to justify your wants. I'm going to entertain your suggestion that the Bible says a father is allowed and encouraged to have sex with his daughter.

I disagree with your comment that homosexuality is an issue in the Bible. First of all, any insistence that the Bible does condemn homosexuality I will document that it does not; showing what the passage really speaks about.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#22342 Nov 16, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
My deity? Just for shits and giggles. Identify my deity for me so I know just what you are talking about.
Bugs Bunny? ;)

Anchorage, AK

#22343 Nov 16, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Bugs Bunny? ;)
Laughing! May be Jiminy Cricket.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#22344 Nov 16, 2013
Around the world, millions of people have spent the week serving God and people. Working to be good people out of gratefulness for the grace they find in Jesus. Now they prepare to gather in groups to worship God and study His Word.

That makes you angry.

Interesting.
Mature Horny Aussie

Crows Nest, Australia

#22345 Nov 16, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is not the only evidence that Jesus existed.
Do you have a reputable scholarly source for claim that by chance?????

No, I thought not. Just your blind faith talking, you stupid fuckwit.
Pock Suppet

Crows Nest, Australia

#22346 Nov 16, 2013
Quite right Alan.

You have clearly read more widely and critically than most of the Potix buffoons on this thread.
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
BINGO! Early Christians realized as much which accounts for all the forgeries in ancient literature.
Eusebius said that it is lawful to lie and cheat for the cause of Christ: "I have repeated whatever may rebound to the glory, and suppressed all that could tend to the disgrace of our religion" (Chp. 31, Book 12 of Prae Paratio Evangelica).
Pock Suppet

Crows Nest, Australia

#22347 Nov 16, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
... Of course it could just be that he got tired of having his ass kicked and moved into discussion where his dog and pony show won't be challenged and exposed for the ruse it is.
Apparently not. He's baaaack!!!
Pock Suppet

Crows Nest, Australia

#22348 Nov 16, 2013
Nice post obedientgirl, although I think you actually meant to say...
"The bible may raise issues with homosexuality but you will all find it does **NOT** restrict a man from having sex with his daughter or his spouses daughter and it does not prevent a woman from having sex with her father or her mothers spouse (aka step father)

Your name and the content of your posts would also seem to suggest that you are entirely ready and willing to sexually subject yourself to your father/stepfather?

Would you like to explore that further? Because I certainly would.
obedientgirl85 wrote:
The bible may raise issues with homosexuality but you will all find it does restrict a man from having sex with his daughter or his spouses daughter and it does not prevent a woman from having sex with her father or her mothers spouse (aka step father)
While homosexuality may not be allowed, God allows and encourages a loving, sexual relationship between a father and his daughter! This because it is natural for a girl to want her daddy to love her and teach her about all aspects in life including sexuality... She should try to serve and please her father as she would her future husband, and just like her husband will, her father has the right to access and use her body as he wishes! When a man marries her mother he also inherits that right! Love and sex between a father and daughter is healthy and natural!
Pock Suppet

Crows Nest, Australia

#22350 Nov 16, 2013
That dubious honour is not confined to early Christians.

The practice of forging religious evidence is still alive and well in the 21st century.
Reverend Alan wrote:
The undeniable fact is that some of the first Christians were among the greatest forgers who ever lived.
Pock Suppet

Crows Nest, Australia

#22351 Nov 16, 2013
Very amusing response though.
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the Klingon star ships are warships or war birds as they are called. The "IKS Bortas," a Vor'cha-class war bird is still in active duty.
The USS Enterprise however was a ship of exploration.

Location hidden

#22352 Nov 16, 2013
Mature Horny Aussie wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a reputable scholarly source for claim that by chance?????
No, I thought not. Just your blind faith talking, you stupid fuckwit.
Whew, listen to that anger!!! About someone you say you don't believe in. Not very mature and not to say very strange...

Kind of stupid too. Alan already addressed your claim, and he's on your side.

Smirk.
Tingling Sensations

Santa Cruz, CA

#22354 Nov 16, 2013
I am a Dope KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Whew, I am a Dope.
Smirk.
Yes we know that already.
Gary Lloyd

Kansas City, MO

#22355 Nov 16, 2013
[QUOTE I'm Not very mature and very strange...
Kind of stupid too. I have a third nipple. Should I get it pierced?
Smirk.[/QUOTE]

No

Hoonah, AK

#22357 Nov 16, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Chapter and verse please.
1 COR. 7:36 American Standard Version,("But if a man thinketh that he behaveth himself unseemly toward his virgin daughter...and if need so requireth, let him do what he will; he sinneth not; let them marry"--(American Standard Version)
Here God tells us that if a man wants to MOLEST his virgin daughter doing so is NOT a sin but he should marry her before he molests her.
Interesting, the ASV. I've always read the passage saying just virgin. The JBC states that the actual translation should be "virgin daughter." What is important to understanding this passage is the context of the chapter and the grammar clarifying the meaning of the passage.

"The Western Text and the Pesh, Armenian, and Vg versions eliminate the first difficulty by employing the sing. sinubat, "if she marries." ... "In this verse the plural would include the girl's suitor. The context supplies a plausible reason for calling the daughter or ward "a virgin" (parthenos), but the tis remains obscure."

"The difficulties of v. 36 in this interpretation are the meanings given to the pl. imperative (gameitosan), the indef. pronoun (tis), and the noun (parthenos)."

gameitosan translated "let them be marrying"

tis translated obscurely "man"

parthenos translated "virgin"

The issue or question stands with the plural and singular translations and the obscurity of the word tis.

The context of the chapter puts 36 with the virgin in relation to her suitor, not with her father.

The issue about what a marriage is, as I see it, is that the only act proclaiming a man's obligation to a woman is the act of intercourse. This is true with the Song of Solomon and Genesis. What we call marriage has always been a civil contract with no precept of God involved in defining what a marriage is or isn't.

Location hidden

#22359 Nov 16, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, the ASV. I've always read the passage saying just virgin. The JBC states that the actual translation should be "virgin daughter." What is important to understanding this passage is the context of the chapter and the grammar clarifying the meaning of the passage.
"The Western Text and the Pesh, Armenian, and Vg versions eliminate the first difficulty by employing the sing. sinubat, "if she marries." ... "In this verse the plural would include the girl's suitor. The context supplies a plausible reason for calling the daughter or ward "a virgin" (parthenos), but the tis remains obscure."
"The difficulties of v. 36 in this interpretation are the meanings given to the pl. imperative (gameitosan), the indef. pronoun (tis), and the noun (parthenos)."
gameitosan translated "let them be marrying"
tis translated obscurely "man"
parthenos translated "virgin"
The issue or question stands with the plural and singular translations and the obscurity of the word tis.
The context of the chapter puts 36 with the virgin in relation to her suitor, not with her father.
The issue about what a marriage is, as I see it, is that the only act proclaiming a man's obligation to a woman is the act of intercourse. This is true with the Song of Solomon and Genesis. What we call marriage has always been a civil contract with no precept of God involved in defining what a marriage is or isn't.
So you see the Bible focusing on the power of evolutionary mating behavior in marriage?

Smile.

Anchorage, AK

#22360 Nov 16, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So you see the Bible focusing on the power of evolutionary mating behavior in marriage?
Smile.
No, not in the way you profane God's Word.
xxCJ_HOTxx

Buffalo, NY

#22361 Nov 16, 2013
I posted on this topic like 6 months ago. Are you f***wads still arguing about it? Its amazing how stupid people tend to take just one topic that they feel strongly about and go on for months about how its either good, bad, or how they are for or against. How about all of you remember this: Jesus wanted us to love each other. THAT'S IT!!!!!! If you get nothing else from yhe Bible, get that, cause that is the ONLY thing that will get you into heaven. Instead of arguing about whether or not gays and lesbians can get married, why not put your time and effort into something that will win you bonus points in heaven. Like raising money for those poor people in the Philippines who NEED OUR HELP! I will assume that this nonsense can end now. Anyone who continues to make this conversation their priority above actually helping other people is an a-hole and deserves to go to hell. Seriously people. GTFU!

Anchorage, AK

#22362 Nov 17, 2013
xxCJ_HOTxx wrote:
I posted on this topic like 6 months ago. Are you f***wads still arguing about it? Its amazing how stupid people tend to take just one topic that they feel strongly about and go on for months about how its either good, bad, or how they are for or against. How about all of you remember this: Jesus wanted us to love each other. THAT'S IT!!!!!! If you get nothing else from yhe Bible, get that, cause that is the ONLY thing that will get you into heaven. Instead of arguing about whether or not gays and lesbians can get married, why not put your time and effort into something that will win you bonus points in heaven. Like raising money for those poor people in the Philippines who NEED OUR HELP! I will assume that this nonsense can end now. Anyone who continues to make this conversation their priority above actually helping other people is an a-hole and deserves to go to hell. Seriously people. GTFU!
Is it your purpose in life to devote your precious time towards scolding others alongside your efforts to help others in need. You speak of helping others as a more worthy cause and yet you frequent this forum.

If those that do not understand the heart that Jesus and the OT prophets spoke of spread their hatred that hatred will affect even your efforts to help others.

Anchorage, AK

#22363 Nov 17, 2013
Christian Courage; the willingness to say and do the right thing regardless of the earthly cost.

“The basic anxiety, the anxiety of a finite being about the threat of non-being, cannot be eliminated. It belongs to existence itself.” 9 55

9. Paul Tillich, The Courage to Be, p. 39.

55. God and Human Suffering, An Exercise in the Theology of the Cross, Douglas John Hall, p. 60.

“As in evolutionary theory, the struggle that creational theology presupposes is a struggle for survival; only here it is a struggle for the survival not only of physical life but for the survival and full realization of our potentiality for spirit.”56

56. Ibid., p. 61.

“As Martin Heidegger has insisted, it is because we are being-towards-death that we are capable of a compassion (German, Mitleid) towards one another, i.e., of a sympathy (suffering-with) that transcends mere passion.”57

57. Ibid., p. 61.

“What is not intended, in the tradition of Jerusalem's interpretation of the matter, is not death as such but what we may call death-serving death, that is death which draws attention to itself instead of drawing us the more fully into life. That is the death that Eve darkly suspects when she is confronted by the wiles of the tempter—and she was right to suspect it.”58

58. Ibid., p. 62.

“Summarizing the argument so far, then, we may say that suffering belongs to the order of creation insofar as struggle is necessary to the human glory that is God's intention for us. Like any good parent, God does not want to protect God's “children” from challenge, risk, or the anxious awareness of that which negates; for God knows that the full potentiality of the creature for the gloria appropriate to it can be actualized only through the facing of many trials.“Man,” as Johannes Metz has written,“must learn to accept himself in the painful experiment of his living. He must embrace the spiritual painful experiment of his living. He must embrace the spiritual adventure of becoming man, moving through the many stages that lie between birth and death.”12 59

12. Johannes Baptist Metz, Poverty of Spirit, tr. John Drury (Paramus, N.J., and New York: Paulist, 1968).
59. Ibid., p. 62.

“Biblical faith is not, of course, ontologically dualistic. It does not give to the negative (to death, the demonic, evil, or sin) a permanent reality that is independent of the positive. There is, however, a provisional dualism, as we may call it, in this traditiion, in that it acknowledges a sufficient antithesis between God and the demonic, life and death, good and evil. Righteousness and sin, to permit the negating dimension an independent role in the service of the positive. Like Satan in the poem of Job, that which threatens and negates life is intended, in the wisdom of the Creator, for the service of a more abundant life.” 60

60. Ibid., p. 62.

“For without temptation the human being would lack the challenge that is necessary for the development both of its rational powers of discernment and its moral capacities for goodness.”60

60. Ibid., p. 65.

“Most people in the churches seem still, despite half a century of serious and critical reflection on the subject, to think of sin in rather crudely moralistic terms—in terms, to be explicit, of private morality, with special emphasis on private sexual morality.”61

61. Ibid., p. 77, 78.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A look at the judges who will rule on Trump's t... 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 167
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 2 hr hardscrabble 362
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 49,183
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 4 hr Frankie Rizzo 25,591
Jade's Stink Ass Gay Cafe 4 hr Hugely Hung Hetero 6
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 hr hardscrabble 5,939
News Middle School Gay-Straight Alliance Allowed To ... 6 hr Rev Don Wildmoan 13
News More 6 hr Little Cheerleader 15
More from around the web