Romney Signs on to Anti-Gay Group's C...

Romney Signs on to Anti-Gay Group's Campaign Pledge

There are 12982 comments on the EDGE story from Aug 5, 2011, titled Romney Signs on to Anti-Gay Group's Campaign Pledge. In it, EDGE reports that:

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has signed on to a campaign pledge created by the anti-gay National Organization for Marriage, a group that seeks to obstruct marriage equality and, in states where gay and lesbian families are legally allowed to wed, to roll family parity back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#10772 Apr 29, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
But it IS a cult, Brian. And thinking magic underwear is going to keep you safe IS bullshit.
Mona talks trash about private religious belief but supports the veil for Muslim women. Freedom of religion only goes one way on the Left.

This is where we differ. She'll go after Mormons today and Jews tomorrow, mark my words.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#10773 Apr 29, 2012
snyper wrote:
That's not bad, Hon. What's strange is receiving special magical powers transmitted through embroidered holes in a curtain into your nipples and bellybutton. But it isn't these and the other ritual and sacerdotal peculiarities that add up to a Social Science definition of "cult".
That's right! Cult is a term for any religion you perceive as different from your own. I don't argue theology because what's the point? Any attack on the Mormon religion is an attack on all religions.

Weird bible studies by leftist secular extremists isn't my cup of tea.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#10774 Apr 29, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That's right! Cult is a term for any religion you perceive as different from your own. I don't argue theology because what's the point? Any attack on the Mormon religion is an attack on all religions.
You MISSED the point.

"Cult" has a very specific Social Sciences definition.

That is DEFINITELY not it. lol

Since: May 09

Bradenton Fl

#10775 Apr 29, 2012
When do we hear the announcement about Mitt's second wife?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#10776 Apr 29, 2012
snyper wrote:
You MISSED the point. "Cult" has a very specific Social Sciences definition. That is DEFINITELY not it. lol
Social scientists use the term cult to target and invalidate religion on spurious grounds. I'm against labeling major religions, cults. This isn't the 1800's, the Mormon Church isn't polygamous. To criticize them for polygamy doesn't reflect Romney's values.

Down with anti-Christian rhetoric.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#10777 Apr 29, 2012
maninfl wrote:
When do we hear the announcement about Mitt's second wife?
Never, no how. That's why he's got our vote, his first wife.
Carol

Orem, UT

#10778 Apr 29, 2012
DeyByeDey wrote:
I have MAD respect for anyone, including Romney, who stands on his beliefs insteading of rolling over to bullish lobbyist. It's very difficult these days to find people who will publicly declare they will NOT be moved. A whole lot of people are against gay marriage as demonstrated by the gay movement's inability to get the voting public to sign on to it. They realized they had to strong arm the legislators to get it approved in the states that allow it. Mitt Romney has the backbone to put it in writing that he is against it. Whatever my personal opinion is on the matter, I respect anyone who says what he means and backs it up!
Absolutely the truth!!!!
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#10779 Apr 29, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Mona talks trash about private religious belief but supports the veil for Muslim women. Freedom of religion only goes one way on the Left.
This is where we differ. She'll go after Mormons today and Jews tomorrow, mark my words.
HUH?????????

Where did I support the veil for Muslim women? I didn't.... ever. I think it's degrading and barbaric.

I am Jew, you dumb shit.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#10780 Apr 29, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That's right! Cult is a term for any religion you perceive as different from your own. I don't argue theology because what's the point? Any attack on the Mormon religion is an attack on all religions.
"Weird bible studies by leftist secular extremists isn't my cup of tea."

Buybull studies by secular extremists? ahhahahahahahahah
As opposed to Buybull studies by brain dead jesus freaks?
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#10781 Apr 29, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Social scientists use the term cult to target and invalidate religion on spurious grounds. I'm against labeling major religions, cults. This isn't the 1800's, the Mormon Church isn't polygamous. To criticize them for polygamy doesn't reflect Romney's values.
Down with anti-Christian rhetoric.
Yeah.... what do social scientists know anyway? They have only spent their entire life studying the phenomenon.

Cult: a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies. Some form of coercive persuasion or mind control is used to recruit and maintain members by suppressing their ability to reason, think critically, and make choices in their own best interest.

Do you know any other religion that baptises dead people by proxy, or believes in magic underwear, or believes god and his wife live on the planet Kolob? Do you think people who believe this crap have had their ability to reason compromised? I do.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#10782 Apr 29, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
Do you think people who believe this crap have had their ability to reason compromised? I do.
BWAHAHAHAHA! Priceless.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#10783 Apr 29, 2012
snyper wrote:
"Cult" has a very specific Social Sciences definition.
Wouldn't you agree that many words that once had very specific definitions have taken on expanded or even new definitions. A few of the words that are really abused these days are hero, unique and visionary.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#10784 Apr 29, 2012
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
BWAHAHAHAHA! Priceless.
I didn't realise you were a Mormon. I really enjoyed the musical about you guys now on Broadway.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#10785 Apr 29, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
HUH????????? Where did I support the veil for Muslim women? I didn't.... ever. I think it's degrading and barbaric.
I am Jew, you dumb shit.
The things you've wrote about Mormon clothing can and was spoken of the Jews. Beanie Yid-lids; that's the problem with your argument.

I am opposed to the veil in public areas, places of employment and schools. I thought you liked separation of church and state.

Voter ID, not the veil.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#10786 Apr 29, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
Yeah.... what do social scientists know anyway? They have only spent their entire life studying the phenomenon. Cult: a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies. Some form of coercive persuasion or mind control is used to recruit and maintain members by suppressing their ability to reason, think critically, and make choices in their own best interest.
Anti-Mormon bigotry is just like racism, antisemitism, anti-Catholicism and ethnic hatred. We don't call your religion a cult.
At least we don't claim social scientists told us what to do.
Mona Lott wrote:
Do you know any other religion that baptises dead people by proxy, or believes in magic underwear, or believes god and his wife live on the planet Kolob? Do you think people who believe this crap have had their ability to reason compromised? I do.
Like petitioner prayer for salvation? Doesn't every religion? Many religions have clothing customs, Mormons are among the most modest. Romney doesn't believe 'god and his wife live on the planet Kolob' but we understand not everyone can live up to high ethical standards.
I know Mona Lott doesn't have the ability to reason and compromise with same sex marriage. She's rejected compomise with civil union but the Left has unique standards of justice.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#10787 Apr 29, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
"Weird bible studies by leftist secular extremists isn't my cup of tea." Buybull studies by secular extremists? ahhahahahahahahah As opposed to Buybull studies by brain dead jesus freaks?
At least they aren't trying to commit sacrilege and desecrate the name of another religion. Shame on you for anti-Mrormon bigotry!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#10788 Apr 29, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
"Weird bible studies by leftist secular extremists isn't my cup of tea." Buybull studies by secular extremists? ahhahahahahahahah As opposed to Buybull studies by brain dead jesus freaks?
Shame on you for anti-Mormon bigotry! You should know better.

Keep marriage between husband and wife to stop the hate.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#10789 Apr 29, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The things you've wrote about Mormon clothing can and was spoken of the Jews. Beanie Yid-lids; that's the problem with your argument.
I am opposed to the veil in public areas, places of employment and schools. I thought you liked separation of church and state.
Voter ID, not the veil.
Where did I support the veil, dipshit? And what did I say that gave you the impression I was against the seperation of church and State?

Kipot are not believed to have magical powers. And most Jews only wear kipot in Temple, if at all.

Since: Apr 11

Los Angeles, CA

#10790 Apr 29, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Please explain.
<quoted text>You understand that's like mythology, not actual history? Two different thing, what's your big thing about religion? Like anyone who follows the Church of the Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ is a no vote, and this is not religious prejudice? What if it was a Jew's scripture you took a dislike to? What if some scripture made you ashamed, why take it out on the faithful? Don't you know who your friends are?
Let me try this again. The book of Mormon teaches I am cursed by god because of evil I did in the pre-existence, and I am a decedent of an evil race. So, I won't vote for a Mormon. Call it "religious prejudice" if you like, but I'm not going to vote for a member of a Church that has such teachings.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>So, if you post something you believe to be true but very negative against a region, that's not anti-religious bigotry because your really a kind and compassionate person who only want 'marriage equality'.
It's not a matter of what I "believe to be true". The verses I quoted from the Book of Mormon are actually there. Are you denying that? Should I accept all teachings just because they are "religious"? How should blacks and Jews feel about the KKK?
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You want to label too many churches,'hate groups'; this is where we differ. I believe in compassion and standards, you just believe in compassion.
Calling a church a "hate group" is compassion? Look, stupid, you might actually want to analyse what you are saying, and not just parrot con dumb talking points, like liberals don't have standards. I do. They just aren't your standards. And one of my standards is I won't vote for a member of a religion that teaches black people are cursed by their skin color because of evil they did is some "pre existence".
Brian_G wrote:
True and false; Rose is an anti-Mormon bigot, a religion hater, a secular extremist. But she likes Buddhism, and she's a vegetarian so where square.
You know people can say things about Obama's church, but we are better than you.
?
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#10791 Apr 29, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Anti-Mormon bigotry is just like racism, antisemitism, anti-Catholicism and ethnic hatred. We don't call your religion a cult.
At least we don't claim social scientists told us what to do.
<quoted text>Like petitioner prayer for salvation? Doesn't every religion? Many religions have clothing customs, Mormons are among the most modest. Romney doesn't believe 'god and his wife live on the planet Kolob' but we understand not everyone can live up to high ethical standards.
I know Mona Lott doesn't have the ability to reason and compromise with same sex marriage. She's rejected compomise with civil union but the Left has unique standards of justice.
What the hell is a petitioner prayer for salvation? And no, not every religion has one... just christians.

Excuse me? If Romney is a Mormon, then he believes god and god's wife live on the planet Kolob. He believes ancient Jews built boats and sailed to America. If THAT'S not ridiculous, I don't know what is.

Why should I compromise on SSM? Because it makes you uncomfortable? TOUGH SHIT! If you don't like the way our country is run, I suggest you move to Vatican City. Besides, you don't own the Trdemark on the word "marriage" anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 25,295
News Republican senator apologizes for saying 'a guy... 1 hr Pope Out To Pasture 1
News S. Korean presidential hopeful accused of anti-... 1 hr Pope Out To Pasture 1
News Lawmakers: Faith-based adoption groups can spur... 1 hr Pope Out To Pasture 4
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr River Tam 48,067
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 hr Pilots Nail Drivi... 5,595
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 5 hr June VanDerMark 13,387
News Gay pastor fights censure by United Methodist C... 9 hr Rose_NoHo 162
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 18 hr Richie 69,522
More from around the web