Gay marriage's latest frontier: state...

Gay marriage's latest frontier: state courts

There are 65 comments on the KEPR CBS 19 story from Dec 25, 2013, titled Gay marriage's latest frontier: state courts. In it, KEPR CBS 19 reports that:

Advocates on both sides of the gay marriage debate predicted that the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in June that overturned part of a federal ban on gay marriage would create a pathway for states to act.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KEPR CBS 19.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#1 Dec 25, 2013
The dominos are all in place. Let the final quarter of the games begin.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#2 Dec 25, 2013
The backlash will be fierce. Look at the firestorm over Duck Dynasty the florist and the baker.

But I don't think it will be very long until those bans drop one by one. Some States have already started the process of repealing these hateful laws. Those that don't may find themselves in the same position as Utah.

El Paso, TX

#3 Dec 25, 2013
DNF wrote:
The backlash will be fierce. Look at the firestorm over Duck Dynasty the florist and the baker.
But I don't think it will be very long until those bans drop one by one. Some States have already started the process of repealing these hateful laws. Those that don't may find themselves in the same position as Utah.
It is my belief the bakery was and is more of a pimple on an elephants ass. I don't recall the florist incident.

As to the Duck Dynasty thing I'd put it on the level of the fried chicken store but it will pass with time. And remember he went after black folks too.

We know where the backlash on marriage equality comes from and so do many Americans. Many have already voted when they stopped filling the pews. My sister, a long time Methodist tells me she believes we will win that battle sooner than later.

I'll take on the backlash. We had a huge amount of that during the AIDS war. Stand our ground and stay strong. Bake cookies for your neighbors as I've done for the past 15 years or more. Even the most devout of Catholic families on my block respects my marriage. Love works wonders.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#4 Dec 25, 2013
DNF wrote:
Lots of people now see the light who didn't before. Some may have thought there would be no downside to gay marriage until they saw harm come to fellow Christians over it. Others didn't take it seriously, but they do now. The backlash is just now building up and will indeed be fierce, And, no matter what happens, it will never be over.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#5 Dec 25, 2013
fr Chance:

>Lots of people now see the light who didn't before. Some may have thought there would be no downside to gay marriage until they saw harm come to fellow Christians over it....<

No "Christians" have been harmed by Marriage Equality, plain and simple. Get a life, and grow UP.
david traversa

Argentina

#6 Dec 25, 2013
In the end the USA will have to live up to its declared ideals .. It's either " I Pluribus Unum " .. or not .

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#7 Dec 25, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
The dominos are all in place. Let the final quarter of the games begin.
We're still just at the end of the first.
david traversa

Argentina

#8 Dec 25, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of people now see the light who didn't before. Some may have thought there would be no downside to gay marriage until they saw harm come to fellow Christians over it. Others didn't take it seriously, but they do now. The backlash is just now building up and will indeed be fierce, And, no matter what happens, it will never be over.
Only the Pseudo-Christian busybodies may have been harmed ; in their lurid imaginations , that is .. ; They asked for it and they deserve it .
Chance

Grove City, PA

#9 Dec 25, 2013
Pattysboi wrote:
fr Chance:
>Lots of people now see the light who didn't before. Some may have thought there would be no downside to gay marriage until they saw harm come to fellow Christians over it....<
No "Christians" have been harmed by Marriage Equality, plain and simple. Get a life, and grow UP.
Interesting. Your profile says you belong to the United Methodist Church and you believe in marriage equality, Do you not believe in God? What do you worship in that church?
santorum Greetings

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Dec 25, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. Your profile says you belong to the United Methodist Church and you believe in marriage equality, Do you not believe in God? What do you worship in that church?
That's right, follow the buybull and it would be polygamy and slavery, but even then only in a theocracy. Which this isn't, you filthy bigot.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#11 Dec 25, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that in both cases it was because bigots decided to try hiding behind religion to justify religious discrimination. They chose to break the law.

But then you believed Larry Craig so......

El Paso, TX

#12 Dec 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
We're still just at the end of the first.
Six months ago or even three I would have to agree with you, however the New Mexico and more importantly Utah AND Ohio cases have very much changed my mindset. All the states in the tenth district may very well change up to a move to our side very quickly and in the case of Ohio on the other side of the country could flip the switch easily. With that Pennsylvania falls and possibly Indiana sooner than later. The dialog in Indiana is running hot and heavy right now and is an empty suit at this point in time.

I see some 30 states at a minimum by the end of next year.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#13 Dec 26, 2013
So, how many Federal Benches so far have decided in our favor?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#14 Dec 26, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
Even the most devout of Catholic families on my block respects my marriage.
They may respect you, they may even like you, they know your marriage isn't right.
Cordwainer Trout

Raywick, KY

#15 Dec 26, 2013
snyper wrote:
So, how many Federal Benches so far have decided in our favor?
Treason is a matter of dates.

El Paso, TX

#16 Dec 26, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
They may respect you, they may even like you, they know your marriage isn't right.
We'll just put it up on the board with birth control and their thoughts on divorce. They believe the church is wrong on all three counts. And they're right.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#17 Dec 26, 2013
Chance wrote:
Lots of people now see the light who didn't before.
Which is why your side is losing so badly.
Chance wrote:
Some may have thought there would be no downside to gay marriage until they saw harm come to fellow Christians over it. Others didn't take it seriously, but they do now. The backlash is just now building up and will indeed be fierce, And, no matter what happens, it will never be over.
No Christians have been harmed by same sex marriage, all their injuries have been self-inflicted. You blame God for your acts then you blame us when they backfire. What do you folk have against taking personal responsibility?
Elzabeth Johnson

Falls Church, VA

#18 Dec 26, 2013
The basics are this

This country was supposedly founded on Freedom of Religion and SEPARATION of CHURCH and STATE.

Jesus says WE ALL have "AGENCY or FREE AGENCY" that is WE CAN CHOOSE "What, When, Where, and How" we believe.

What I HAVE a PROBLEM with is why and how States have tried, did, and are passing laws that in fact setup a STATE religion FORCING ALL of us to believe as THEY want us to. Be it Same Sex marriage, abortion, adultery OR WHATEVER, WE ARE NOT supposed to have religious based POLICE force.

Each of us according to the 1st Amendment and OUR "FREE AGENCY' as given to us by Christ s SUPPOSED to give EACH of us the RIGHT to worship as WE please.

The question is where Religious freedom keeps a community from passing local laws as to what he community wishes to live by?
How big can that community be, small, large, huge or what. I do not believe a government entity (STATE) can be classified a community.

But then again if a state can be considered a community and it passes laws you cannot live or believe in or with you can leave. In so doing that state has to know that becoming a CLOSED state it is endangering its political and economic bases. Why would an open state or truly FREE person ever want to do business with it?

We may be able to debate this all day but no one can argue that there was only ne person that wanted to make ALL of us believe and worship one way. That was SATAN and it does seem that he is causing quite a ruckus in these LAST DAYS.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#19 Dec 26, 2013
Elzabeth Johnson wrote:
The basics are this
This country was supposedly founded on Freedom of Religion and SEPARATION of CHURCH and STATE.
Jesus says WE ALL have "AGENCY or FREE AGENCY" that is WE CAN CHOOSE "What, When, Where, and How" we believe.
What I HAVE a PROBLEM with is why and how States have tried, did, and are passing laws that in fact setup a STATE religion FORCING ALL of us to believe as THEY want us to. Be it Same Sex marriage, abortion, adultery OR WHATEVER, WE ARE NOT supposed to have religious based POLICE force.
Each of us according to the 1st Amendment and OUR "FREE AGENCY' as given to us by Christ s SUPPOSED to give EACH of us the RIGHT to worship as WE please.
The question is where Religious freedom keeps a community from passing local laws as to what he community wishes to live by?
How big can that community be, small, large, huge or what. I do not believe a government entity (STATE) can be classified a community.
But then again if a state can be considered a community and it passes laws you cannot live or believe in or with you can leave. In so doing that state has to know that becoming a CLOSED state it is endangering its political and economic bases. Why would an open state or truly FREE person ever want to do business with it?
We may be able to debate this all day but no one can argue that there was only ne person that wanted to make ALL of us believe and worship one way. That was SATAN and it does seem that he is causing quite a ruckus in these LAST DAYS.
Christians have been saying that we have been in the "LAST DAYS" for nearly 2000 years now. There is a separation of Church and state in this country and there is no attempt to force an official state religion on anybody, except by you and your fellow Christians who keep insisting that civil laws reflect only your choice of beliefs.
Front Line Fighter

Braddock, PA

#20 Dec 26, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Which is why your side is losing so badly. <quoted text>No Christians have been harmed by same sex marriage, all their injuries have been self-inflicted. You blame God for your acts then you blame us when they backfire. What do you folk have against taking personal responsibility?
We have absolutely nothing against personal responsibility. As a matter of fact we take it very seriously. We feel and are responsible for everything from our actions to our beliefs. And we are willing to make a stand for those beliefs, You act like it is something new for us to be standing against the government. Not so. Our national beginnings stem directly from our forefathers standing up to an oppressive government. While we think it is a crying shame and truly horrifying that it is necessary, we are willing to stand again. Only two things can happen - we prevail or the nation will lose what vestiges it retains of its origins

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Microphone cut after Mormon girl reveals she's ... 46 min Latter Day Taints 2
News Microphone cut after Mormon girl reveals she's ... 48 min Latter Day Taints 2
News Microphone cut after Mormon girl reveals she's ... 56 min Latter Day Taints 2
News Pence visits Focus on Family amid change for re... 58 min cpeter1313 4
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr cpeter1313 6,807
News Madrid hosts- and debates- global gay pride 1 hr Latter Day Taints 1
News Serbia ruling party gathers support for propose... 1 hr Latter Day Taints 2
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr cpeter1313 51,167
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 26,364
Mississippi can enforce LGBT religious objecti... 9 hr The Troll Stopper 4
News Minneapolis police asked to limit presence at p... 13 hr Conrad 2
More from around the web