1. As Obama noted in his speech, the dumbed down description is 'love' or 'committed'. Those words describe many types of friendships. They do not define marriage. It is a clear and indisputable fact that the basic essence of marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior. Unique among every other relationship in existence, and in fact, the natural and best birthplace of every other relationship.Peace-Love-Happiness wrote:
Marriage is a union of two individuals who are romantically connected to form a family unit. Children are not required and do not have to be created by the two individuals if they are included.
If you can't understand why ss marriages ARE marriages, you don't have any place in defining them or denying their equality. It just means you are ignorant to their validity and, therefore, have no place determining their value and worth.
You might as well deny evolution, that's how intelligent you sound about this topic. <insert eye roll here>
How does a romantic relationship equate to a "friendship"?? You keep inserting that word in there, attempting to devalue the relationship, but it's not an accurate description. Ideally, the romantic couple *are* friends, but each couple defines the characteristics of their marriage in their own way. That means that you are not "entitled" to define someone else's relationship.
There are many different types of family units: married without children, nuclear, blended, extended, etc. A married couple without children is *still* a family. You act like I discourage procreation, when what I actually said was that couples are not REQUIRED to procreate. There is no box on the marriage application that asks about intentions to procreate.
I do not accept your "cross cultural constraint" nonsense to be an accurate definition of all marriages, so my responses do not need to satisfy you. I don't "strive" to conform to your reality because it is an alternate one.
2. You have no right to redefine other people's relationships. As SCOTUS notes several times, marriage is an essential relationship to society.
3. There is one natural family, simply because we have just one biological father and mother. All others are default families, and are so noted.
4. Your assertion that a couple should be required to produce children to be called marriage is no different than demanding that an apple tree be required to produce apples to be called an apple tree.
5. I don't care if you don't care about the essence of marriage. Your opinion, or mine does not change reality; Marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior. Nothing you said addresses that fact.