It's Inevitable: Gay Marriage Will Be...

It's Inevitable: Gay Marriage Will Be Legal in All 50 States Within 20 Years

There are 514 comments on the www.associatedcontent.com story from Jan 19, 2010, titled It's Inevitable: Gay Marriage Will Be Legal in All 50 States Within 20 Years. In it, www.associatedcontent.com reports that:

Gay marriage will be legal in all 50 states within 20 years. The changing public attitudes towards same-sex relationships, especially among young people, mean that initiatives like the ones in Maine and California that recently banned gay marriage will start going in the other direction in the near future.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.associatedcontent.com.

First Prev
of 26
Next Last

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#1 Jan 19, 2010
Isn't there a possibility it will be legal in 2 years? If the SCOTUS rules in our favor with the current federal case won't that make gay marriage legal in the entire country? Sad thing is their ruling will have way more to do with politics than with our Constitution...

Since: Apr 07

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Jan 19, 2010
There is a new anti-gay-marriage editorial in the American Spectator from a person named Jeffrey Lord.

Its chief argument is a repetitive, almost obsessive insistence upon framing this issue in a "panic" over the possibility that polygamy would be "legalized."

The article is profoundly disturbing, one of the most disturbing I've seen yet.

For some reason I can't entirely identify, it makes clearer than most editorials I've seen that those *against* gay marriage are almost obsessively refusing to see gay people *as people* or their relationships *as valuable and deserving of the same legitimacy, peace and quiet* as heterosexual relationships.

I have explained why polygamy has nothing to do with any of this, and am now met with hysteria that attempts virulently to twist my words. This is my first tip-off that the *anti-gay* see the "polygamy" argument as so valuable a "weapon in their arsenal" that they are NOW WILLING TO *LIE* ABOUT IT, TOO.

I think perhaps a national movement should be started on a talking point to be repeated *so obsessively* that it is embedded into the consciousness of the average American, by every means necessary.

If you are going to continue to oppose gay marriage -- a stance which, by its nature,*refuses* to see the humanity and legitimacy and personhood of gay people -- then *remove all the rights of privileges of marriage from that institution* forthwith, reduce it to a *church* institution that confers no governmental benefits *whatsoever*, and we will all be done with this matter.

There's your solution.

Remove the benefits.

There's your solution.

Otherwise,*stop pretending* you have some "supremacy" over your fellow human beings, because it's *the reason* your arguments will never, ever, ever succeed or convince those who oppose you.

It is *the single biggest problem* with anti-gay arguments.

Put your money. where. your. mouth. is.

REMOVE the benefits of marriage and we can all stop debating this and be done with it.

The. end.

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jan 19, 2010
Jeffrey Lord is as selfish as the rest. Blind, babbling like a parasite who *himself* wants to destroy the institution of marriage -- why does no one ever mention this?-- he *shoves the humanity* of his fellow human beings *off a cliff* for fear, slippery-slope ramblings, and what is actually and genuinely anti-gay sentiment, no more, no less.
Rev Ray T

Topeka, KS

#4 Jan 19, 2010
Gay marriage in 20 years? I will be 82 within two weeks. I do not think I can wait that long. This is suppose to make us back down and go back into the closet?

Since: Nov 08

Rosemount, MN

#5 Jan 19, 2010
rdg1234 wrote:
There is a new anti-gay-marriage editorial in the American Spectator from a person named Jeffrey Lord.
Its chief argument is a repetitive, almost obsessive insistence upon framing this issue in a "panic" over the possibility that polygamy would be "legalized."
For some reason I can't entirely identify, it makes clearer than most editorials I've seen that those *against* gay marriage are almost obsessively refusing to see gay people *as people* or their relationships *as valuable and deserving of the same legitimacy, peace and quiet* as heterosexual relationships.
I have explained why polygamy has nothing to do with any of this, and am now met with hysteria that attempts virulently to twist my words. This is my first tip-off that the *anti-gay* see the "polygamy" argument as so valuable a "weapon in their arsenal" that they are NOW WILLING TO *LIE* ABOUT IT, TOO.
I think perhaps a national movement should be started on a talking point to be repeated *so obsessively* that it is embedded into the consciousness of the average American, by every means necessary.
If you are going to continue to oppose gay marriage -- a stance which, by its nature,*refuses* to see the humanity and legitimacy and personhood of gay people -- then *remove all the rights of privileges of marriage from that institution* forthwith, reduce it to a *church* institution that confers no governmental benefits *whatsoever*, and we will all be done with this matter.
There's your solution.
Remove the benefits.
There's your solution.
Otherwise,*stop pretending* you have some "supremacy" over your fellow human beings, because it's *the reason* your arguments will never, ever, ever succeed or convince those who oppose you.
REMOVE the benefits of marriage and we can all stop debating this and be done with it.
The. end.
if you want talking points, read Corvino at 365gaynews.com
He is a philosophy professor, and writes a weekly column. They are simple and logical.

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Jan 19, 2010
To me, that is the most mournfully sad thing of all.

Selfish, unconscionable parasites *don't care about anyone's age*, they just want to rape gay people of their god-given rights, no matter how much time they may have left.

It's one of the things that is a *reason* I call the anti-gay evil, demonic and amoral.
Rev Ray T

Topeka, KS

#8 Jan 19, 2010
InfoMart wrote:
<quoted text>
IF you're really 82 years old, you should be getting ready to meet your Maker. You know in your heart you need to apologize profusely to God for what you've done, repent and ask forgiveness. He will forgive you, but you must ask with a sincere heart.
OR deal with the consequences. Hell is forever.
Oh little person, I am not a Christian I do not lie. Born Feb. 5, 1928, and I am strong healthy and very much active and as alive as I was 40 years ago.

I just published a book,“Decoding the Gospel of Thomas,”“A gay man’s spiritual journey.” available through xlibris.com check out their book store. And I thank you for finally giving me an opening to plug the book in here, more or less legitimately.
Rence

Milwaukee, WI

#9 Jan 19, 2010
There is one other reason why Gay Marriage is inevitable - those who are fighting against same-sex marriage have never once been able to show any harm that comes from legalized same-sex marriage. Those who are denied same-sex marriage have been able to show very real harm that comes from being denied the right to marry. So the motivation on one side to fight on is far greater than on the other.
We've already seen the anti folks turn tail and run when the going gets tough (the number of folks who are refusing to testify in court on the issue for example). Opponents will inevitably lose interest over time.
Rev Ray T

Topeka, KS

#12 Jan 19, 2010
well OK wrote:
Actually the gays are right with this one, gay marriage will eventually be legal all across this world. The bible speaks of the last days when good is called evil and evil is called good. This is the time we are living in. I never thought I would live to see the day that gay marriage would be legal, but now it looks like a possibility.
Christians, keep your chin up, the bible prophesied about a time when filthy perverts would take over the world, we are living surely living in the days he spoke about.
So true, love all love is good, but Christians call some forms of love bad. God is love, pure, non-judgmental all encompassing love. Because God is love to call any form of love evil is to say a part of God is evil. The evil lives in the hearts of those who dwell in the darkness of fear, hate and anger. It can not live in the hearts that live in light, and love as they were born to love.

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#13 Jan 19, 2010
Rev Ray T wrote:
Gay marriage in 20 years? I will be 82 within two weeks. I do not think I can wait that long. This is suppose to make us back down and go back into the closet?
hell no we won't go lol never back down we will keep on fighting no matter what i say we got it in 2-5 years at most!:)

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#14 Jan 19, 2010
Rev Ray T wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh little person, I am not a Christian I do not lie. Born Feb. 5, 1928, and I am strong healthy and very much active and as alive as I was 40 years ago.
I just published a book,“Decoding the Gospel of Thomas,”“A gay man’s spiritual journey.” available through xlibris.com check out their book store. And I thank you for finally giving me an opening to plug the book in here, more or less legitimately.
whats the book about mind giving a quick overview:)

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#15 Jan 19, 2010
Rev Ray T wrote:
<quoted text>
So true, love all love is good, but Christians call some forms of love bad. God is love, pure, non-judgmental all encompassing love. Because God is love to call any form of love evil is to say a part of God is evil. The evil lives in the hearts of those who dwell in the darkness of fear, hate and anger. It can not live in the hearts that live in light, and love as they were born to love.
So true. "When The Power of Love, Overcomes the Love of Power, THEN the World Will Know Peace".

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#16 Jan 19, 2010
There is a problem with this piece, it fails to take into account the fact that as people age there is a general movement to become ever so conservative.

Just saying......

“STFU”

Since: May 07

Atlanta, GA

#17 Jan 19, 2010
well OK wrote:
Actually the gays are right with this one, gay marriage will eventually be legal all across this world. The bible speaks of the last days when good is called evil and evil is called good. This is the time we are living in. I never thought I would live to see the day that gay marriage would be legal, but now it looks like a possibility.
Christians, keep your chin up, the bible prophesied about a time when filthy perverts would take over the world, we are living surely living in the days he spoke about.
You are evil, spreading hate and lies.

“Nothing but me”

Since: Apr 08

Kansas City

#18 Jan 19, 2010
It will be legal because its the right thing, not because it fulfills some mythical prophesy.
Besides, equality and harmony sounds more like the prophesies of Isaiah, and not the precursor to some cataclysmic event.
Religion aside, equality and respect for all should be a goal we all yearn for.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#20 Jan 19, 2010
WHEN gay marriage is legal is will most likely be done by the courts, not popular vote. If everything were popular vote they could continually strip us of rights like they did in Prop. H8 and it would keep going back and forth like a tug-of-war.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#21 Jan 19, 2010
rdg1234 wrote:
There's your solution.
Remove the benefits.
There's your solution.
The. end.
Polgamyist have tried to marry even before gays started marrying. Some small portion may always try regardless of whether gays can marry. Gays should never be denied rights based on what someone else might TRY to do or just because gay relationship aren't the thing for straights.

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

#22 Jan 19, 2010
rdg1234 wrote:
There's your solution.
Remove the benefits.
There's your solution.
The. end.
*wow**that's**a**lot**of**aste risks*

I agree with you, the government has no business giving economic favors to people on the basis of marriage, and especially not on the basis of procreation, considering that there are too darn many people in the world as it is.

But as for Jeffrey L.'s "panic" argument... honestly, polygamy is a religiously and morally acceptable practice in many parts of the world. The Bible, quite contrary to what the religious right would have you believe, fully endorses polygamy. Nowhere in the Bible will you find marriage described as "one man and one woman."

I can find no valid moral argument against polygamy. It's just a classic case of trying to scare people with something that is unfamiliar to them; the same underlying fearmongering that promotes racism, religious discrimination, and cultural biases.

“II Samuel 1:26”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#23 Jan 19, 2010
well OK wrote:
Yeah, but 20 years ago that was different, just goes to show you how the bible is true after all.
20 years ago, defending traditional marriage made you a good person, now it makes you a bigot.
This world has totally flopped upside down, good is now considered evil and evil is now considered good.
homosexuality is an abomination, it was 2000 years ago, and it still is today.
Just read your King James bible.
The Bible was NOT originally written in (King James) English. And, the Bible as originally written does NOT condemn homosexuality.
CHAS

Breckenridge, CO

#24 Jan 19, 2010
Hope the optimism is not misplaced.
Evil often wins in the real world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 min TomInElPaso 53,527
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 16 min Freedomofexpression 8,337
News Sicko threatened to rape City Council speaker, ... 24 min Milton 1
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 33 min REMEMBER DETROIT 26,190
News Mr Gay Europe wants to raise awareness around s... 43 min Milton 6
News Organist Says Fear of Trump Future Made Him Pai... 44 min Milton 4
News 'Bathroom bill' dies again in Texas as session ... 2 hr Farting Bill 2
News Church accused of offering to 'cure homosexuali... 6 hr Howie 7
News Gay Pride should be about protest, not just cor... 15 hr The Troll Stopper 76
News Gay rapper Milan Christopher strips naked for s... 23 hr Tre H 8
More from around the web