Christian wins court battle after being demoted for claiming gay...

Nov 16, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Daily Record

ADRIAN SMITH made the comment on his private Facebook page but bosses at Trafford Housing Trust demoted him, slashed his salary and issued a final written warning.

Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Nov 19, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

I'm glad that he won.

“Some people are gay - get over”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

And in this case he's right.

I don't agree with what he said but companies and bosses have got to STOP using what people say or their personal Facebook and Twitter.

Everyone is allowed their personal opinions.

What I or anyone does during non-work time is none of the bosses business.

The only exception to that might be a public figure.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

"public figure" ???

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

KirkW wrote:
And in this case he's right.
I don't agree with what he said but companies and bosses have got to STOP using what people say or their personal Facebook and Twitter.
Everyone is allowed their personal opinions.
What I or anyone does during non-work time is none of the bosses business.
The only exception to that might be a public figure.
I would add to that, so long as the person does not reference the company for which they work. That would reflect on the business, which did not agree with his comments.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Big whoop, that hundred pounds should go a long way on a tie at Harrod's.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Curteese wrote:
Big whoop, that hundred pounds should go a long way on a tie at Harrod's.
Right now it would be worth $ 158.46 American. Wow, did he clean up.:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
The British Courts famously award small punitive damages.

Perhaps this is why they have far fewer (per capita) lawsuits clogging their Judges' calendars..

Think we could take a lesson from them on this?

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps this is why they have far fewer (per capita) lawsuits clogging their Judges' calendars..
That's not a knot I would try to untie. Punitive damages are just way to complicated for my pretty little head. Besides, I am to vindictive.

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever been to Harrod's? They do charge outrageous prices. I saw plain old Calvin Klein underpants that go for like $15 here for about 25 pounds at Harrod's, which is near $40. They must make really good money there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever been to Harrod's? They do charge outrageous prices. I saw plain old Calvin Klein underpants that go for like $15 here for about 25 pounds at Harrod's, which is near $40. They must make really good money there.
Ever have a glance at their tax structure?

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever been to Harrod's? They do charge outrageous prices. I saw plain old Calvin Klein underpants that go for like $15 here for about 25 pounds at Harrod's, which is near $40. They must make really good money there.
I went there once. Harrod's is for tourists as far as I am concerned. There are other places to shop and not spend so much. Besides, now-a-days I only go to London to attend the theater. The rest of the time I spend in Brighton, and on trains for day trips.

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I went there once. Harrod's is for tourists as far as I am concerned. There are other places to shop and not spend so much. Besides, now-a-days I only go to London to attend the theater. The rest of the time I spend in Brighton, and on trains for day trips.
How odd, you are the second person to say the exact same thing to me in 24 hours!

Have you been there lately? I was about 2 years ago and saw "Priscilla, Queen of The Desert" and it was the BEST play I have ever seen. I recommended it to my pal here also.

We also saw 'Showboat' at The Royal Albert Hall. It was amusing for they were trying to do American accents, southern American accents. They ALMOST got it, but not quite. It was a hugely lush production, as other shows I have seen there. I like it for their theaters, except Albert Hall, are all small and intimate. Almost any seat is a good one! I'm very tall, so SOME of the seats are TOO intimate, my knees got to know the back of the seat in front of me VERY well.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>How odd, you are the second person to say the exact same thing to me in 24 hours!
Have you been there lately? I was about 2 years ago and saw "Priscilla, Queen of The Desert" and it was the BEST play I have ever seen. I recommended it to my pal here also.
We also saw 'Showboat' at The Royal Albert Hall. It was amusing for they were trying to do American accents, southern American accents. They ALMOST got it, but not quite. It was a hugely lush production, as other shows I have seen there. I like it for their theaters, except Albert Hall, are all small and intimate. Almost any seat is a good one! I'm very tall, so SOME of the seats are TOO intimate, my knees got to know the back of the seat in front of me VERY well.
My husband inherited a cottage near Brighton, with a few outhouses (no, not toilets, a guest house and 2 barns). We go over about every year and a half, and have been now for about 12 years. We are thinking that as we get older, we will sell it off, and just tour the states. We just have a hard time deciding when. We've been discussing it for some time, but just have not reached a decision yet. By the way, it makes a good stop-over on the way to Europe. We usually go up to London about twice during our stay. We stay a couple of nights with friends and go to shows and clubs. We aren't much for the night-life, but we make it through, and then go back to the farm and rest up. So was the other person you mentioned here on Topix, or elsewhere?

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>How odd, you are the second person to say the exact same thing to me in 24 hours!
By the way. We had planned to go this year, but I had a slight stroke earlier this year, so we had to cancel. Maybe next year.

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband inherited a cottage near Brighton, with a few outhouses (no, not toilets, a guest house and 2 barns). We go over about every year and a half, and have been now for about 12 years. We are thinking that as we get older, we will sell it off, and just tour the states. We just have a hard time deciding when. We've been discussing it for some time, but just have not reached a decision yet. By the way, it makes a good stop-over on the way to Europe. We usually go up to London about twice during our stay. We stay a couple of nights with friends and go to shows and clubs. We aren't much for the night-life, but we make it through, and then go back to the farm and rest up. So was the other person you mentioned here on Topix, or elsewhere?
Nope, a pal of mine whose hubbie travels all the time for work, so he tags along.

I think London the most wonderful city on earth. It is as if the powers that be all got together and decided "now, how can we make this city the most fun city in the world?" and they did it correctly.

We were there on a Friday afternoon and at about 5 Covent Garden filled up with office workers in fine suits and dresses and everyone started having Guiness and it was like one amazing street party and I bruised a rib hugging myself at the fun of being in such a cool spot.

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way. We had planned to go this year, but I had a slight stroke earlier this year, so we had to cancel. Maybe next year.
Oh, RalphB, that isn't good at all! I so hope you are recovering well. There's no reason you should not make a full recovery. I am wishing the best for you and hope you can be traveling again soon. In case I don't mention it this week, I hope you and your fine man have a great Thanksgiving!

I am having a Thanksgiving Orphans day, all our pals and gals who don't have family near by are coming over. I do this every year and this time we are moving to the clubhouse at my town house complex to hold the group more comfortably than my small dining area. We're expecting about 8!

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
This reminds me of Leon Uris's book QBVII.

But in this case I am also one of the ones who thinks employers going after people for what they say on Facebook or other social media during their off hours is going way too far.

It's stories like these that anti gays use to make us look like we're unreasonable and infelxible when it comes to freedom of expression.

But I agree with you snyper, Americans could take a lesson from British Courts when it comes to these types of lawsuits.

A bad drug or medical device etc., yes I can see larger damages. But it's getting to be a feeding frenzy here. Look at what they charged the nutcase whostormed Chick Fil-A with! Terrorism?

But I'm getting side tracked there. That case poses it's own questions and some of the answers may come back to bite some surprising groups.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep me in mind if sale becomes more than just a thought.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, RalphB, that isn't good at all! I so hope you are recovering well. There's no reason you should not make a full recovery. I am wishing the best for you and hope you can be traveling again soon. In case I don't mention it this week, I hope you and your fine man have a great Thanksgiving!
I am having a Thanksgiving Orphans day, all our pals and gals who don't have family near by are coming over. I do this every year and this time we are moving to the clubhouse at my town house complex to hold the group more comfortably than my small dining area. We're expecting about 8!
I am healing up quite nicely. Thanks for your concern. I was having problems with my mobility in my left arm and leg, but Snyper advised me of electrode-stimulus therapy. I discussed it with my doctor, who agreed it might help. Since taking the treatments and physical therapy, my mobility is returning. and two weeks ago, for the first time, I was able to begin typing with both hands, albeit slowly. I'm sure I will be able to travel in the Spring or early Summer, and we will take that aborted trip to Brighton.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep me in mind if sale becomes more than just a thought.
I'll do that, but please remember that I have a sizable list already. However, I will see to it that you are near the top of the list.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••