Hong Kong's British Consulate May All...

Hong Kong's British Consulate May Allow Gay Marriage

There are 7 comments on the EDGE story from Jun 12, 2014, titled Hong Kong's British Consulate May Allow Gay Marriage. In it, EDGE reports that:

It was reported earlier this week that Hong Kong's government said it would not allow same-sex couples to marry in the city's British consulate shortly after the British Foreign Office said gay couples in 23 countries would be allowed to tie the knot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Phyllis Schlafly s Shroud

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Jun 12, 2014
That's nice.

I'm looking forward to the news story about Rick Perry's recent thoughts on sexual orientation being posted here at topix. There are three things I want to post on that matter....

“A long time ago”

Since: Nov 09

in a galaxy far, far away....

#2 Jun 12, 2014
Phyllis Schlafly s Shroud wrote:
That's nice.
I'm looking forward to the news story about Rick Perry's recent thoughts on sexual orientation being posted here at topix. There are three things I want to post on that matter....
Let me guess...

1) Anyone can fall victim to alcoholism. Can anyone fall victim to homosexuality?

2) Some people can enjoy alcohol in moderation, without becoming alcoholics. Is it ok to enjoy homosexuality in moderation too?

and of course,

3) Oops

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Jun 12, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess...
1) Anyone can fall victim to alcoholism. Can anyone fall victim to homosexuality?
2) Some people can enjoy alcohol in moderation, without becoming alcoholics. Is it ok to enjoy homosexuality in moderation too?
and of course,
3) Oops
My first thought was that a person who draws the alcoholism-homosexuality parallel must himself be given to "slips."

But then, of course, it slipped my mind.
Belle Sexton

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Jun 12, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess...
and of course,
3) Oops
Your #1 is incorrect. Unlike other addictive substances, alcohol is only addictive to those with the genetic predisposition. Anyone and everyone will physically addict to the opiates/opioids. Not so with alcohol.

“A long time ago”

#5 Jun 12, 2014
Belle Sexton wrote:
Your #1 is incorrect. Unlike other addictive substances, alcohol is only addictive to those with the genetic predisposition. Anyone and everyone will physically addict to the opiates/opioids. Not so with alcohol.
My research (ok, Google and Wikipedia) says that genes can play a powerful ROLE, but they aren't the only determining factor. For example, this passage:

"Alcohol's primary effect is the increase in stimulation of the GABAA receptor, promoting central nervous system depression. With repeated heavy consumption of alcohol, these receptors are desensitized and reduced in number, resulting in tolerance and physical dependence."

That sounds like something that can happen to anyone.

In any case, Perry seems to have used alcoholism as an example only. Gay rights opponents frequently cite "addiction" in general as a comparison to homosexuality. I've heard them use opiates, tobacco, or even sex addiction (as if straight people aren't equally susceptible). Any one of these bolsters my point that exposure to (nearly?) any substance is a danger for everyone, while homosexuality is not.

“A long time ago”

#6 Jun 12, 2014
The point is, alcohol and other drugs are alluring (and addicting) because they are more pleasurable than being SOBER. Sobriety is the opposite of these situations.

But heterosexuality is the opposite of homosexuality. To use addiction as a dog-whistle against homosexuality is to suggest that homosexuality is more pleasurable than heterosexuality, in the same way that being under the influence is more pleasurable than sobriety. These people don't realize the implications of what they say.

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Jun 12, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
The point is, alcohol and other drugs are alluring (and addicting) because they are more pleasurable than being SOBER. Sobriety is the opposite of these situations.
But heterosexuality is the opposite of homosexuality. To use addiction as a dog-whistle against homosexuality is to suggest that homosexuality is more pleasurable than heterosexuality, in the same way that being under the influence is more pleasurable than sobriety. These people don't realize the implications of what they say.
That is genuinely interesting, but you're over-drinking it, imo.

Now Rick Perry - who has his own thread here now, yay!- cannot remember that third...but he sure can remember that fifth. Burp.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Philippines' Duterte says he supports gay marriage 2 min Rainbow Kid 1
News Conservative woman wonders if BFF is homosexual... 21 min Rainbow Kid 4
Meadow Grove Crime Blotter 21 min Meadow Grove PD 1
News Indonesia court rejects bid to outlaw extramari... 26 min Rainbow Kid 4
News Why Is It So Hard For The TV News To Say 'Gay'? 28 min Rainbow Kid 7
News a CDC ban on 'fetus' and 'transgender?' Experts... 36 min Rainbow Kid 3
News a CDC ban on 'fetus' and 'transgender?' Experts... 40 min Red Crosse 7
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 44 min cpeter1313 15,010
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 1 hr Red Crosse 368
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 2 hr Kirk is OK 148
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) Fri GodSmacked 26,930
More from around the web