Gay Marriage Opponents Ask California...

Gay Marriage Opponents Ask California Supreme Court To Stop Weddings

There are 19 comments on the www.huffingtonpost.com story from Jul 13, 2013, titled Gay Marriage Opponents Ask California Supreme Court To Stop Weddings . In it, www.huffingtonpost.com reports that:

Opponents of same-sex marriage on Friday demanded that the California Supreme Court immediately halt same-sex marriages recently resumed in the nation's largest state after a 9-year legal battle.

The group that sponsored Proposition 8 and its ban on same-sex marriages in 2008 launched a two-pronged legal attack Friday in what legal experts described as a last-ditch argument with little chance of succeeding.

ProtectMarriage argued Friday that state officials' incorrectly interpreted a June 24 U.S. Supreme Court ruling tossing out the gay marriage ban on a legal technicality as legalizing same-sex weddings in the state. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that ProtectMarriage had no "standing" to pursue an appeal of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decision striking down Proposition 8 to the high court even though California Gov. Jerry Brown and state Attorney General Kamala Harris declined to defend the ballot measure passed by 52 percent to 48 percent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.huffingtonpost.com.

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#1 Jul 13, 2013
Protect Marriage you lost time to pick up your toys and go home
Scott

Yorkville, NY

#2 Jul 14, 2013
Be prepared and do not be fooled. Christ shall return soon for his faithful. Pray to him, repent and have true happiness.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#3 Jul 14, 2013
Scott wrote:
Be prepared and do not be fooled. Christ shall return soon for his faithful. Pray to him, repent and have true happiness.
When exactly is Jesus Christ returning? I mean in the next few days? or next 100 years? I mean you are aware that folks have been making this claim for probably much of the last 2000 years and still Jesus has not returned.......besides, if Jesus did return, you and folks like you would have him crucified because he's not the person you all have made him out to be!!!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#4 Jul 14, 2013
Scott wrote:
I suggest you double check your Bihble for missing pages. You probably used them for toilet paper at the last Scout Jamboree!

Or maybe only gays and lesbians get bibles with these verses:

Galatians 3:28
New International Version (©2011)
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Romans 13:1-5

English Standard Version (ESV)
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus.“Teacher,” he asked,“what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied.“How do you read it?”

27 He answered,“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and,‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied.“Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus,“And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said:“A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper.‘Look after him,’ he said,‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied,“The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him,“Go and do likewise.”
Luke 10:25-37

Matthew 25:31-46
(The parable of The Sheep and the Goats)

And my favorite

Titus 3:9!
But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Shall we discuss clothing with mixed fibers now and the eating of milk and meat from the same plate?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#5 Jul 14, 2013
Scott wrote:
Good advice. So when will you start taking it into your own life?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#6 Jul 14, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
When exactly is Jesus Christ returning? I mean in the next few days? or next 100 years? I mean you are aware that folks have been making this claim for probably much of the last 2000 years and still Jesus has not returned.......besides, if Jesus did return, you and folks like you would have him crucified because he's not the person you all have made him out to be!!!
The Bible says it would happen within a few generations of Jesus's death. Now considering back then a generation was approx. 20 years, Christ returned about two decades after Saul became Paul.

Poor Scotty missed his rapture by only a few centuries!

Oh and Scott, before you accuse me of twisting the Bible keep in mind I have Biblegateway.com book marked. I spent my life learning to use the Bible as defense against the weapons you pull from it. And I can use another Bible site that includes almost every Bible translation ( http://biblehub.com ) so if you want to get into a verse war with me, you've been fairly warned. And I always win!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#7 Jul 14, 2013
Ok so far they lost at the Supreme Court of CA. They lost in Federal appeals. They lost at SCOTUS.

Just who do they plan to file an appeal with? And I HAVE noticed they no longer want it put to a vote like they were saying just 3 months ago!

That "Let the people decide" idea vanished faster than one of Pepper's posts!

Now the mantra is. "We'll find a judge somewhere who will give us special rights".

I really don't understand why they are upset. Even the current ENDA bill allows religious organization an exemption from prosecution for religious discrimination!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#8 Jul 14, 2013
And even with a law that grants them the right to discriminate against gays and lesbians for religious reasons they still oppose it!

These folks must suffer from Anencephaly!(look it up folks! and thanks to the person who gave me the word; you know who you are)

(giggles hysterically)

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#9 Jul 14, 2013
Scott wrote:
He told me you aren't coming with us for being such a moron bigot
tunddra246

Grand Junction, CO

#10 Jul 14, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Not much on theology are you? Posting something this ridiculous only shows the Bible is true in that God stated 'My people perish due to lack of knowledge.'
Fabulous Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#11 Jul 14, 2013
Scott wrote:
He is here already
He won't reveal himself to you because you will torture him to death and nail him to a cross

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#12 Jul 14, 2013
tunddra246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not much on theology are you? Posting something this ridiculous only shows the Bible is true in that God stated 'My people perish due to lack of knowledge.'
Nope, but that doesn't mean I'm not correct in the fact that folks have been making claims to some return of Jesus and it hasn't happened yet!!!

Remember that your religious beliefs END, where mine begin!!!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#13 Jul 14, 2013
Scott wrote:
It absolutely boggles any NORMAL person's mind to hear someone who hates you say Heaven is great and you'll spend it with folks just like me.

And they wonder why we react in a way similar to the way Eskimos did when the missionaries tried to convince them Hell is a place of eternal fire and it's a BAD PLACE!

To the Eskimos that's what heaven would be!

And you wonder why christians like you have such a poor reputation!

My idea of heaven is NOT spending eternity with people who told me I deserved to burn in Hell FOREVER!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#14 Jul 14, 2013
tunddra246 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is ridiculous in asking when this sis supposed to happen. It's been promised for over two thousand years now and if you KNEW y\the Bible as well as you THGINK you do you'd also know that Jesus said the Rapture would happen within the next 2 or 3 generations after he died.

Not much on ACTUAL Bible verses are you?

When once the master of the house is risen up and hath shut the door, and ye begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying,‘Lord, Lord, open unto us,’ and He shall answer and say unto you,‘I know you not from whence ye are,’

26 then shall ye begin to say,‘We have eaten and drunk in Thy presence, and Thou hast taught in our streets.’

27 But He shall say,‘I tell you, I know you not from whence ye are. Depart from Me, all ye workers of iniquity.’

and...

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right,‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply,‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left,‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply,‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Frankly you can have heaven and all that goat smell! I;'ll galdly pass.

However there is a big difference between you and I.

On that day when the goats are separated form the sheep I'll wager you'll remain silent with the biggest grin on your face, doing a little happy dance because you THINK you already know God's plan. I on the other hand would plead with the Lord to show you mercy as he tells you to depart form his sight!
Sheldon

Alexandria, VA

#15 Jul 14, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I suggest you double check your Bihble for missing pages. You probably used them for toilet paper at the last Scout Jamboree!
Or maybe only gays and lesbians get bibles with these verses:
Romans 13:1-5
English Standard Version (ESV)
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.
Ah, the biblical basis for "the divine right of kings". So you're saying the American, French, Russian and Chinese revolutions (along with the fights for independence from European rule in Africa and South America were un-Christian? Should the Irish simply starved and submitted to British rule while their harvest went across the Irish Sea?

The Quakers who fought state-sanctioned slavery and resist being forced to take up arms are un-Christian?

As much as I disagree with using civil same-sex marriage as a basis to predict the Second Coming, I think it's equally a mistake to use the Bible to say that good Christians must accept civil authority unquestioningly.

Better to say that in our system each of us can advocate and defend our own principles while allowing others to bring their own principles into the public square. Let them compete and whichever position is most persuasive wins, while maintaining the right of the side which loses to protest and continue to advocate its position in hopes modifying or changing the majority's mind at some point in the future. But I don't think it's quite right to say, "Based on what you say you believe, this should be your position." It seems a little condescending.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#16 Jul 14, 2013
Sheldon wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, the biblical basis for "the divine right of kings". So you're saying the American, French, Russian and Chinese revolutions (along with the fights for independence from European rule in Africa and South America were un-Christian? Should the Irish simply starved and submitted to British rule while their harvest went across the Irish Sea?
The Quakers who fought state-sanctioned slavery and resist being forced to take up arms are un-Christian?
As much as I disagree with using civil same-sex marriage as a basis to predict the Second Coming, I think it's equally a mistake to use the Bible to say that good Christians must accept civil authority unquestioningly.
Better to say that in our system each of us can advocate and defend our own principles while allowing others to bring their own principles into the public square. Let them compete and whichever position is most persuasive wins, while maintaining the right of the side which loses to protest and continue to advocate its position in hopes modifying or changing the majority's mind at some point in the future. But I don't think it's quite right to say, "Based on what you say you believe, this should be your position." It seems a little condescending.
EXCELLENT post !:)

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#17 Jul 14, 2013
Sheldon wrote:
<quoted text>
If I had MEANT that I'd have wrote it.

Why do you assume I am anti Christian? Is it because to you there is no such things as real gay and lesbian Christians?
Sheldon wrote:
<quoted text>As much as I disagree with using civil same-sex marriage as a basis to predict the Second Coming, I think it's equally a mistake to use the Bible to say that good Christians must accept civil authority unquestioningly.
Well then you gripe is with the men who wrote the Bible not me. Of course they made sure they added a backdoor.

But SPOT ON about using SSM or anything else as 'proof' we are in the End Times. I feel sorry for most evangelicals and the others who insist this is the beginning of the end. They've been using that line to manipulate and control moist of the world's population for centuries. And they STILL wonder why so many look at them as jokes.
Sheldon wrote:
<quoted text>Better to say that in our system each of us can advocate and defend our own principles while allowing others to bring their own principles into the public square. Let them compete and whichever position is most persuasive wins, while maintaining the right of the side which loses to protest and continue to advocate its position in hopes modifying or changing the majority's mind at some point in the future. But I don't think it's quite right to say, "Based on what you say you believe, this should be your position." It seems a little condescending.
OH I agree with what you are saying. I have no delusions that even a SCOTUS ruling declaring SSM is going to be the end of this. All I have to do is look at the history of the abortion decision and what happened recently to the Voting Rights Act. Personally as far as the VRA I think it needed some revision but I feel they threw the baby out with the bathwater.

However from my perspective the anti gay industry has never been interested in the free exchange of ideas in the adult and polite manner you outlined.

When you wrote, ""Based on what you say you believe, this should be your position." I was taken back to the early 70's and 80's to the 'Good gays bad gays" battles over allowing drag queens and leather men and women to continue to appear at Pride.

It's as pointless and silly as claiming I'm the only one who knows what a REAL christian is.

Also really liked: "Let them compete and whichever position is most persuasive wins, while maintaining the right of the side which loses to protest and continue to advocate its position in hopes modifying or changing the majority's mind at some point in the future."

Mutual respect means we don't try to take away the other person's dignity. Both sides have a bad track record there.

Anyway great post and thanks.

NAMASTE

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#18 Jul 14, 2013
sorry haven't been able to sleep for the last 30 hours. I meant to write, " I have no delusions that even a SCOTUS ruling declaring SSM a Constitutional Right is going to be the end of this" Yes the back lash over these two rulings has begun. But anyone who believes this will be over in the next few years is being a bit delusional IMO.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#19 Jul 14, 2013
@ sheldon . I apologize for my opening remarks. Had I read your full post before I started typing I wouldn't have made such a dang fool of myself.

You don't know me that well yet but I only use Namaste with certain people or in certain circumstances. It was my attempt at a high compliment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Archbishop enters gay marriage debate 11 min Cleveland 1
BIG LaBOR DAY WEEKEND PARTAAY!!! 57 min Lil Stinky Jr 1
ARCHIVES Revisited 1 hr Lil Stinky Jr 5
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 hr RiccardoFire 8,372
40 years ago today 2 hr SteveO 6
FuNKY ARCHIVES 2 hr SteveO 4
News Mr Gay Europe wants to raise awareness around s... 3 hr TomInElPaso 11
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 hr Beatnik 53,602
More from around the web